2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted the other day, super grateful for the opportunity!

Cgpa: 3.42
MCAT: 514

Also does anyone know what the state of things will be as far as classes being online or not?
Congrats! But wow you deserve so much better with an MCAT score like that

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted the other day, super grateful for the opportunity!

Cgpa: 3.42
MCAT: 514

Also does anyone know what the state of things will be as far as classes being online or not?
Orientation will be july 21st on campus and we will begin class on campus so plan on being in san antonio by then! White coat ceremony is postponed though

Reactions: 1 user
Got accepted off the waitlist today!!! I’ve accepted the offer and paid the deposit. Looking forward to seeing ya’ll in the Fall ☺️

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any WL movement?

I haven’t heard anything since that email we all got May 14th, but my stats aren’t as high as everyone else that posted here & got pulled off. I’m glad we have the forum so all the WL peeps don’t feel so alone! It’s hard to accept I may or may not be a doctor and the movement this month decides that fate...

So I’m OOS and got a call from a 210 area code last week and HR shot up so high but turned out to be a random scam caller. I guess I didn’t realize how badly I wanted the call until the universe teased me like that. Sry to vent but I feel like some of y’all on the WL must be feelin like this too <3

Reactions: 5 users
I haven’t heard anything since that email we all got May 14th, but my stats aren’t as high as everyone else that posted here & got pulled off. I’m glad we have the forum so all the WL peeps don’t feel so alone! It’s hard to accept I may or may not be a doctor and the movement this month decides that fate...

So I’m OOS and got a call from a 210 area code last week and HR shot up so high but turned out to be a random scam caller. I guess I didn’t realize how badly I wanted the call until the universe teased me like that. Sry to vent but I feel like some of y’all on the WL must be feelin like this too <3
Trust me, you are not alone. I went through a rough week, with constant panic attacks. I keep having dreams where I get the call and I where I call my family with the good news... but I thought about it and it is not worth my mental health, or yours. Yes, it is the only WL I’m on (my stats are low as well) and I might have to reapply for a 3rd time. But, it is what it is. It’s not something I can control, which is why it has been frustrating. Life doesn’t run on a smooth and empty river, you’ll get rocks on your way. But you will achieve what you want and become a doctor! I believe in you. And make sure to distract yourself and unwind on here or to any close friend/family member. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, in the same boat here. You know, they should at the very least start revealing approximate ranked tiers we are in this late in the cycle so we can consider next steps. Like it makes no sense why they don't. No need to release exact rank, but approximate tier should be doable. We're left completely in the dark and I'm not sure why.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, in the same boat here. You know, they should at the very least start revealing approximate ranked tiers we are in this late in the cycle so we can consider next steps. Like it makes no sense why they don't. No need to release exact rank, but approximate tier should be doable. We're left completely in the dark and I'm not sure why.
Texas schools tend not to do the tiers or tell you where you are in the rank for WL. Most AMCAS schools don't either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone waitlisted asked for application feedback/ do they actually do that?

I totally agree with you! It’s ridiculous. What do they have to lose?? It’s just a rank... I’m lost too, I don’t know if I should start reapplying. Those apps are expensive :(

They may be balancing their roster in terms of impressions on interview, gender, extracurriculars, and other things that can't be numerically ranked.
mmm I doubt it... I’m sure they have a ranked list

Yeah, is there any rational reason for this?
I have heard its because a class is chosen as a whole. So if someone declines and they are a urm with low stats but lots if volunteer work, they want to find some who matches that profile and that is who they offer a spot from the WL. They don't just chose high stat people and rank downward. Not sure how true that is but that's what i have heard!

Also just another PSA: Those with multiple acceptances/ that already know where they want to go, if you can please notify schools asap to drop your seats/ remove you from waitlists, that would be so appreciated!! This is the last month of hope for WL movement for those of us without any acceptances. And we'd rather hear back sooner than last minute so we can arrange housing, etc. Thanks!!!

Also just another PSA: Those with multiple acceptances/ that already know where they want to go, if you can please notify schools asap to drop your seats/ remove you from waitlists, that would be so appreciated!! This is the last month of hope for WL movement for those of us without any acceptances. And we'd rather hear back sooner than last minute so we can arrange housing, etc. Thanks!!!

At this point I’m pretty sure no ones holding 2 acceptances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can, then it’s better to be safe than sorry. The earlier you get your app in (my advisors suggestion as I was a re-app with low stats) the higher chance you have of getting interviews/ acceptances. If you don’t get off the WL for Fall 2020, then you may be in the same boat next year by waiting without a major change in your app. It’s a gamble on your future! Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! The thing is I took the mcat so many times. idk how, but I still got this interview and waitlisted even though my highest mcat is low. I think that’s the weakness in my app. I’m thinking of taking it again mid July. But idk if I should wait until I get my score back to reapply. I don’t want to be screened. And now they release scores 2 weeks later instead of a month. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice! The thing is I took the mcat so many times. idk how, but I still got this interview and waitlisted even though my highest mcat is low. I think that’s the weakness in my app. I’m thinking of taking it again mid July. But idk if I should wait until I get my score back to reapply. I don’t want to be screened. And now they release scores 2 weeks later instead of a month. What do you think?

You can still apply late for DO and get an A.
You should take the MCAT when you’re ready. Rushing it is a recipe for disaster.

I took the mcat 4 times in a 5 year period and still got three interviews this year. I think whats important is to make sure you are getting higher and doing better. I took 2 years off from my last mcat to this one i last applied with and went from a 501 to a 506. I think if you can just really push yourself past 504 you have a chance to get interviews and get in, but you really need to think about whats not working and really get prepared and take a lot of practice test before taking it again quickly in my opinion. Good luck!!

I took the mcat 4 times in a 5 year period and still got three interviews this year. I think whats important is to make sure you are getting higher and doing better. I took 2 years off from my last mcat to this one i last applied with and went from a 501 to a 506. I think if you can just really push yourself past 504 you have a chance to get interviews and get in, but you really need to think about whats not working and really get prepared and take a lot of practice test before taking it again quickly in my opinion. Good luck!!
I admire your persistence! and I totally agree with what you said. My highest score is a 500... I have a 3.7 gpa, tons of shadowing/volunteering and graduating with a masters in science this summer. My main problem is that english is not my main language. I didn't speak any english until I moved to the US for college. So I had a problem with reading pace, underestimated the difficulty of the MCAT and lacked practice. I will do my best, thank you for your response.

I agree @Coffee&Scrubs26 you can apply late and get an A. However, you might have a better chance applying earlier is all I’m saying. A fair amount of people I’ve met apply DO as a backup when the MD route isn’t working out. It might be harder later in the cycle for a person like me with a below average MCAT to get an ii/A over a 510.

@theambitious966 If you were planning to, then you should totally retake the MCAT. You could be pro-active by getting everything ready to submit (LORs, PS, Transcripts). However, focus on that MCAT.

I was just under the impression you were re-applying with the same stats like I did so that was my suggestion. Lol Overall, I do hope you get in this current cycle for our Fall 2020 class. Good luck!

Edit: messed up the tagging lol
I agree, applying early is crucial. I would reapply with the same stats but I do not want to waste another year. So I would rather increase my chances of acceptance by working on the MCAT. And I hope so, thank you!

Accepted this afternoon! Super excited and grateful for this opportunity! :):)

Reactions: 6 users
Got the call tonight as well!! So thankful!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to the both of you! Are y’all both in-state? And if you don’t mind what were your stats?

Congrats to the both of you! Are y’all both in-state? And if you don’t mind what were your stats?

out of state (GA) and avg stats (3.75s 503). Will most likely be declining the offer tomorrow so it can go to one of you guys (accepted at DCOM - much closer to home). Good luck to everyone! You got this!

Hi Everyone,

I made this account to give information to those that are still on the waitlist because I know how important it is to get as much information as possible. I just got accepted this evening after religiously checking this thread for months! I am instate and from the South Texas service area. I have low stats with a LizzyM score of 59.5. I am a very atypical applicant whose background is in philosophy. I had my writers submit additional letters to why UIWSOM was an ideal fit, submitted a LOI, and an update letter. Also, there was someone at the school doing research that I have experience in so we have been in correspondence. I write all this to tell you that one cannot predict what an admissions committee values when it comes to getting off a waitlist and that you do not always need high metrics if there are other strengths to your application. The advice I was given from a woman on the admissions of an MD school if I had to reapply was 1. Do not rush your application nor should you rush to take the MCAT. Taking another year may seem like the end of the world, but it is in your best interest to apply with the strongest possible fine-tuned application. 2. Spend the time to find a real connection with the schools you apply to if you can. A school wants to see a detailed specific interest, not just that it is a random school.

Hi Everyone,

I made this account to give information to those that are still on the waitlist because I know how important it is to get as much information as possible. I just got accepted this evening after religiously checking this thread for months! I am instate and from the South Texas service area. I have low stats with a LizzyM score of 59.5. I am a very atypical applicant whose background is in philosophy. I had my writers submit additional letters to why UIWSOM was an ideal fit, submitted a LOI, and an update letter. Also, there was someone at the school doing research that I have experience in so we have been in correspondence. I write all this to tell you that one cannot predict what an admissions committee values when it comes to getting off a waitlist and that you do not always need high metrics if there are other strengths to your application. The advice I was given from a woman on the admissions of an MD school if I had to reapply was 1. Do not rush your application nor should you rush to take the MCAT. Taking another year may seem like the end of the world, but it is in your best interest to apply with the strongest possible fine-tuned application. 2. Spend the time to find a real connection with the schools you apply to if you can. A school wants to see a detailed specific interest, not just that it is a random school.
This is amazing congratulations! Wait so having letter writers submit additional letters is a thing? I didn't know schools would accept that!

To those accepted off of the waitlist, did y'all hear anything from the school prior to the phone call or email you received telling you you're accepted?

To those accepted off of the waitlist, did y'all hear anything from the school prior to the phone call or email you received telling you you're accepted?

nope! Just the phone call then they sent the acceptance letter after

Reactions: 2 users
This is amazing congratulations! Wait so having letter writers submit additional letters is a thing? I didn't know schools would accept that!

It is only beneficial if your writer has a special knowledge of the school. For example, one of them knew the UIWSOM curriculum because she has built a curriculum at another medical school and knew it worked well with the way I learn. I'd be wary of doing it though because you don't want your writers to just reiterating what was in your initial letters, therefore bombarding admissions with the same info again. Also, I got the idea from reading the AMCAS testimonies and a few mentioned it. I honestly don't know if it helped at all. I do however think the update letter helped because I highlighted what my COVID experience was and how I contributed to my communities, which was a significant life changing experience.

Also, does anyone know the first day of orientation or when we need to be there? I haven't been given any info yet and it is not online.

Also, does anyone know the first day of orientation or when we need to be there? I haven't been given any info yet and it is not online.

You’ll get the email soon, but orientation is 7/21 -7/24 with first day of classes on 7/27

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

At the time of my application I was living in Texas but not considered a TX resident (because I had not been living here for more than 1 year), but I am now considered a Texas resident so I'm not sure if that had an impact. cGPA 3.97 and MCAT 505.

Waitlist movement is pretty much over. Very minimal movement from here on out.

Waitlist movement is pretty much over. Very minimal movement from here on out.
How do you know? people were accepted off the WL throughout June and July. Please do not state facts you are unsure about. Lots of people here are hopeful, and you're just bringing them down.

• Haha
I know someone who is dropping their acceptance this week and it is a high probability that those that have accepted, but get off a cheaper/closer to home waitlist will drop. I wouldn't give up hope, even if the class is technically almost full now.

I know someone who is dropping their acceptance this week and it is a high probability that those that have accepted, but get off a cheaper/closer to home waitlist will drop. I wouldn't give up hope, even if the class is technically almost full now.
I agree, I also think it’s a little unfair to be hindering the hope of others right now. Especially with covid, none of us know how this year’s waitlist movement will pan out and it cannot be compared to other years. It requires a lot of strength for those waitlist members to remain hopeful right now (myself included), so I’m going to choose to ignore negative comments and keep the faith that we all are on a unique and beautiful path, whether that leads us off the waitlist this round or takes us somewhere else. Positivity is key. For all those who remain on the waitlist and remain hopeful and don’t let these comments get to you, I share strength with you and I sincerely look forward to either being in school with you, being your coworker, or witnessing the incredible things you do for the medical field from a distance. If we want it enough, we will all get there somehow! Keep the faith!! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
It’s not a rejection because they said waitlist movement is looking slow, I’ll remain, but I have an acceptance to MBS program

It’s not a rejection because they said waitlist movement is looking slow, I’ll remain, but I have an acceptance to MBS program
What are your stats?

Here is the profile for last year's MBS class:
  • Cumulative GPA-3.40
  • Science GPA-3.19
  • Average MCAT-495
  • Average GRE-306
  • Average DAT-18
I know its not a rejection, of course. I am just trying to figure out if they send these masters acceptances based on stats.

Last edited:
Anyone get the automatic acceptance to the MBS program?

I am a longtime lurker of this thread, and wanted to chime in really quick. I too, also received the email acceptance to the MBS program. This is a quote directly from said email:
"At this time, there has been little movement of students off our existing waitlist to the DO program. Because you remain a competitive applicant for medical school, we invite you to consider enrolling in the UIW Master of Biomedical Sciences Program in August 2020."

What I gathered from the email, is that they are still accepting people off of the WL, albeit only a few people. How many more people they will take off, who knows at this point. What I do know, is that since we are nearing the middle of June, I have decided that it be best for me to focus on applying again for this upcoming cycle. I have been accepted to a Masters program elsewhere, so I will most likely not take advantage of the MBS program that UIW is offering. I am an OOS applicant and would preferably like to go to school in my home state.

If you received that email, I would still hold on to some hope, but do be prepared to have a backup plan in case things do not go the way that you want them to go.

I am a longtime lurker of this thread, and wanted to chime in really quick. I too, also received the email acceptance to the MBS program. This is a quote directly from said email:
"At this time, there has been little movement of students off our existing waitlist to the DO program. Because you remain a competitive applicant for medical school, we invite you to consider enrolling in the UIW Master of Biomedical Sciences Program in August 2020."

What I gathered from the email, is that they are still accepting people off of the WL, albeit only a few people. How many more people they will take off, who knows at this point. What I do know, is that since we are nearing the middle of June, I have decided that it be best for me to focus on applying again for this upcoming cycle. I have been accepted to a Masters program elsewhere, so I will most likely not take advantage of the MBS program that UIW is offering. I am an OOS applicant and would preferably like to go to school in my home state.

If you received that email, I would still hold on to some hope, but do be prepared to have a backup plan in case things do not go the way that you want them to go.
What were your stats? If you don’t mind sharing

• Haha