2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the “waitlist still active” email again. My heart was about to come out of my chest haha

Me too! I just got a text from my military recruiter saying I need a LOA by tomorrow or else I need to apply again next year! Needing this to move REALLY quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the call but gave up my spot guys! Looks like there will be movement. Good luck!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My guess has been that we’ll see a lot more movement starting next week since the deadline was just today.

Reactions: 1 user
Everybody just pray that next week is our week!!

Reactions: 2 users
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it seem like at this point uiwsom is mainly accepting significantly higher stat candidates? Entering Class of 2019 avg stats: Overall GPA-3.53, Science GPA-3.44, and MCAT Score-502. I think we've seen significantly higher stats for those recently accepted? Seems like hope is kinda disappearing for us closer to avg waitlisted candidates? Especially considering how many are waitlisted.

Last edited:
Also just wondering if there is someplace in the student portal for accepted students to see the current number of seats filled? I know some other schools have this in a "2024 class student composite/profile" section and it's updated daily. Accepted students have posted the updated count every week for waitlisted students to gauge upcoming movement.

I think it is more than just metrics like that. I am still on the waitlist with a 3.87 c-GPA and a 3.75 s-GPA with a 509 MCAT. However, I am an out of state applicant. So keep your head up, you were waitlisted, that means that they would admit you if they had enough seats! It's not over for anyone yet! Good luck :)

I think it is more than just metrics like that. I am still on the waitlist with a 3.87 c-GPA and a 3.75 s-GPA with a 509 MCAT. However, I am an out of state applicant. So keep your head up, you were waitlisted, that means that they would admit you if they had enough seats! It's not over for anyone yet! Good luck :)

Wow, did you apply quite late in the application cycle/ not broadly enough?? You're competitive for md programs.

No... I applied very early in the cycle. The first week the applications were open, actually. It's just that Texas schools and most medical schools are very in-state biased. I live in Nevada, and there are only 3 medical schools there compared to the 15 or so in Texas lol! It just changed things a bit... However I want to live in Texas and I applied to almost every school out here only getting interviews at UIW and Sam Houston.

No... I applied very early in the cycle. The first week the applications were open, actually. It's just that Texas schools and most medical schools are very in-state biased. I live in Nevada, and there are only 3 medical schools there compared to the 15 or so in Texas lol! It just changed things a bit... However I want to live in Texas and I applied to almost every school out here only getting interviews at UIW and Sam Houston.

I'm out of state as well-- much further, Midwest. And I have very average stats, so I'm surprised. Granted good post bac grades, but rest is very avg. I also submitted app like October 1. I'm sure you're in a much higher tier than myself on the waitlist.

Hi, Texas resident here! UIW is a private school, so the mandatory 90% TX residents rule doesn’t apply. Only the public medical schools on TMDSAS are required to use residency as a factor in choosing matriculates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it seem like at this point uiwsom is mainly accepting significantly higher stat candidates? Entering Class of 2019 avg stats: Overall GPA-3.53, Science GPA-3.44, and MCAT Score-502. I think we've seen significantly higher stats for those recently accepted? Seems like hope is kinda disappearing for us closer to avg waitlisted candidates? Especially considering how many are waitlisted.

This seems to be a general trend for most schools, but definitely for UIWSOM. They're in a weird position. They have interviewed a ton of candidates (just judging from the fact that my interview date was about 45 candidates) and most likely have given out a lot of acceptances, especially when taking into consideration the numbers from last year. They are prob waiting on decisions from those who they have given acceptances to move forward with waitlist movement. I followed this thread since early on and up until my acceptance (in December) and those who applied very early and had their secondary complete very early obviously had the best shot. Early acceptances were closer to their average stats. The further in the cycle, the more stingy they can be, and especially with a waitlist. They definitely do take more into consideration than just your stats. I had better stats than last years average but definitely not as good as some of the people I see that are on the waitlist (OOS as well). It's obviously impossible to know what goes behind their exact decision making, but from my experience, stats and residence were only a part of the equation, not most. Good luck!

I must say I agree with the timing. As an in-state, average student with multiple MD/DO waitlists, I don’t know how this waitlist is going to pan out. I didn’t apply until January due to pursuing MD first but was interviewed within 3 weeks of submitting my primary app.

Honestly you cannot read their minds or find patterns in their acceptance because the reality is we don’t truly know every single factor they consider in admissions. It’s futile to try and decode it and will just cause you more stress. The only thing that is true is that everyone on the waitlist is good enough to be accepted but waitlist movement is just a probability game at this point.

HI all, I'm applying for the upcoming 2020-21 cycle and a question regarding rec letter requirement. I currently dont have rec letter from physician and was wondering if anyone had experience or input applying without physician rec letter. Thanks!!

HI all, I'm applying for the upcoming 2020-21 cycle and a question regarding rec letter requirement. I currently dont have rec letter from physician and was wondering if anyone had experience or input applying without physician rec letter. Thanks!!

I would say this is an absolutely necessary component of your app. The physician you get an LOR from does not need to be a DO. Most applicants have a physician LOR because it is required by most schools, and so you're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage without one.

Based on my own experience they will not even look at your secondary until you’ve submitted a physician letter—they consider your application “incomplete” until one is submitted

Based on my own experience they will not even look at your secondary until you’ve submitted a physician letter—they consider your application “incomplete” until one is submitted
Its really easy to get a physician letter fyi!

So has anyone heard of any waitlist movement this week? It's supposed to pick up after DO traffic day

How so? I appreciate the help.
From my experience, doctors love to help future doctors. I’m sure that if you ask a doc from a shadowing, research, or volunteer opportunity, they’d be happy to help.

Or, another option is to reach out to your own doctor. All of my clinical experience was with MDs, and I needed a recommendation from a DO. Knowing that many DO’s are in primary care, I reached out to my previous pediatrician. While she is an MD, I explained that I wanted a DO education and asked if there were any DOs in her practice. She was able to set me up with another pediatrician at a different practice location. I reached out, and he was totally willing to have me. I only shadowed him for three work days, but he was willing to write me a letter afterwards.

My previous roommate did the same thing. Her OBGYN is a DO, so she reached out to him and he was more than willing to have her shadow and write a letter of rec. We both laughed at first as it’s a little awkward..but in the end, physicians work with the body and the awkwardness is lost.

I think that many physicians are aware that pre-meds need letters, and are not surprised when asked to write them, even after such a short experience.

I hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Just got accepted! It was a phone call. I have until Monday at 5 pm to decide.

Reactions: 7 users
Just got accepted! It was a phone call. I have until Monday at 5 pm to decide.

Congrats! Do u know yet if you’re planning to accept?

Fb group is now at 143. What was their usual class size again? 160 or 180?

Congrats!! Mind sharing your stats?
Congrats! Do u know yet if you’re planning to accept?

Per my AMCAS app
undergrad cGPA 3.18
undergrad sGPA 2.80
grad cGP3.44
grad sGPA 3.38
MCAT: 507/505
URM

Yes, I'm accepting it. I'm on 2 MD wait lists, but this is my third cycle and I'm tired! If I had to apply again, I would be waiting until the EY 2022 cycle to be able re-take my MCAT again (which I REALLY did not want to do), get a job in research (currently a medical scribe), and increase my volunteering hours. Either way, I'm going to be a doctor, which is all that matters to me!

Reactions: 9 users
Per my AMCAS app
undergrad cGPA 3.18
undergrad sGPA 2.80
grad cGP3.44
grad sGPA 3.38
URM

Yes, I'm accepting it. I'm on 2 MD wait lists, but this is my third cycle and I'm tired! If I had to apply again, I would be waiting until the EY 2022 cycle to be able re-take my MCAT again (which I REALLY did not want to do), get a job in research (currently a medical scribe), and increase my volunteering hours. Either way, I'm going to be a doctor, which is all that matters to me!
Congrats!! I’m reapplying as well, I can understand how frustrating that is. Let’s say you get off the MD WL, can you still withdraw from this school?

Congrats!! I’m reapplying as well, I can understand how frustrating that is. Let’s say you get off the MD WL, can you still withdraw from this school?

Best of luck with your app! As far as I know, yes. I didn’t read anything that said I couldn’t withdraw. I would just lose the deposit because it’s non refundable.

Per my AMCAS app
undergrad cGPA 3.18
undergrad sGPA 2.80
grad cGP3.44
grad sGPA 3.38
URM

Were you accepted off the waitlist? Or were you interviewed recently and just got accepted?

Were you accepted off the waitlist? Or were you interviewed recently and just got accepted?

Waitlist. I interviewed on 11/1

Anybody else emailing twice a week to try to get pushed through quicker?

Did you also receive an email?

Yes, two. One from the general email account and another from the woman who called me in case I had questions with the school being closed for Memorial Day weekend.

Accepted yesterday and Withdrew my seat. Hope it goes to one of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
That will make you seem more annoying than eager...
Sometimes to advocate for yourself, you have to be annoyingly persistent. It’s so late in the cycle that there’s no reason to politely hold back.

Sometimes to advocate for yourself, you have to be annoyingly persistent. It’s so late in the cycle that there’s no reason to politely hold back.
What could you possibly be emailing them about twice a week.

Reactions: 6 users
Why is the previous years fb group at a number of 186 if there are only 160 seats per entering class?

Congrats! You should be very proud! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing? Trying to see if I still have a chance...

Not at all
cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 2.8
Post grad cGPA: 3.64
post grad sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 505

I am a non-traditional student with years of work in various fields after college and in the past 3 years many different clinical volunteer experiences.

I just accepted. Good luck to everyone else and hopefully y'all get the call!

Why is the previous years fb group at a number of 186 if there are only 160 seats per entering class?
Fb group isn’t a good indicator cause lot of previous years students are also on there usually. You can also have students who accepted then dropped

That is normal.

Some of those students are in the classes above. They will typically help guide us with helpful study materials and post about the student clubs.

In addition, there might even be some professors/ moderators as well. It's typical of any class page since we are representing the school online they want to make sure we are being professional.
Yeah I guess I wasn’t sure if they add previous years students, professors, and modulators only once classes actually start. So I guess I’m wondering at this point how close this 147 number for this years class is to the actual number of newly matriculating students.

Accepted the other day, super grateful for the opportunity!

Cgpa: 3.42
MCAT: 514

Also does anyone know what the state of things will be as far as classes being online or not?