You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 West Virginia
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I am going to try for the MedStay option!For those that are interviewing, are you all going to try to do the Med Stay program and stay with a med student the night before? or are you going to book a hotel?
Also, for anyone curious, when I went to schedule my secondary, they had dates in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb to choose from. They're offering 15 interview slots at the Eastern Campus on September 4, and they're offering 30 interview slots at the Charleston Campus on September 6 and October 4. Additionally, they have 4 Saturday interview dates at the Morgantown Campus on September 21, September 28, October 26, and November 2. The weekday interviews are from 10am-3:30 pm and the Saturday interviews are from 8am-1:30 pm.
I gotcha. I have an interest in rural health at least 🤔 hope that will helpI'm in the same situation ish but live in a neighboring state and grew up in a rural area... not sure if those are exactly "ties" to the state though
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like it would give an "inside scoop" so to speak on the school, and make one feel more comfortable prior to interview day!okay - same!
D
deleted987519
Does West Virginia require Casper to be complete? or they will consider you for an interview without it?
Their website says they will send II's without Casper
1. I'm extremely introverted so I guess not be on campus? Also there's a mini-gym there so I'm going to say gym. In first and second year the classroom is your second home and outside of the study room and medical student lounge that's pretty much it.
2. DEAC clinic? If it's a delivery to underserved people, there are so many of them. MUSHROOM too I think. Probably good, I never did it, but I should have. Good way to practice your clinical skills and help people out.
3. I can talk about this one a LOT. It changes year to year. You can check out the calendar here MD Calendars | School of Medicine | West Virginia University . I remember taking 5 weeks for Step 1 but that was because my PhD started in August. Our school is a bit different in that they put you though NBME preclinical shelf exams every 3 days in a gauntlet at the end of second year. When other students say second year is brutal, just laugh in their face because unless they are doing what we're doing, it's no comparison. I can't remember exactly when the end of Block 11 is in second year but it's somewhere around mid-May. You then have Micro/Immuno, Pharm, Path, Clinical Skills shelves separated by 2-3 days, and then the end of the end is the practice Step 1 CBSE. then you start dedicated period. most students take 3-4 weeks, 1 week vacation, start bootcamp June 25.
Exam integration is pretty good. In 2014-2015 when I took MS2/Step 1, at least 80% of our curriculum applied directly to Step 1. I was using First Aid along with classes, of course there was more material from class but it wasn't the horror stories you read on the internet about faculty asking in-depth questions or questions on their research that has nothing to do with Step 1. I've heard similar things for the classes recently. Our classes use classic books as sources for lectures and questions (Robbins for Path best example) so it's really pretty good.
tl;dr: most students are going to UFAPS second year no matter where they go and you're going to do the same thing too.
4. I have no idea now, to be honest. Faculty turn around everywhere year after year, both preclinical and clinical, just like every other medical school. I liked the faculty second year, but I was also a home-stream student who woke up at 10 AM and did things on my own time.
Wow, this is amazing, thank you!!
II this afternoon. LizzyM 70 OOS (but regional- VA resident)
Congrats!! Completion date ?
II yesterday morning. OOS. Completion date 7/2.
Congrats!! [emoji322]
Definitely stay with a med student on MedStay if you can. I remember those days, really awesome. You can see what housing and rent and the area around the hospital is like, and there's nothing like getting info (or for me, giving info) straight from a stressed out med student near exam time haha.
9
907914
WVU has a post-II acceptance rate of like 94%...Anyone else with an II but no close ties? Excited for the II and am interested in the school, just worried how hard it will be with no connection to the state...
D
deleted987519
WVU has a post-II acceptance rate of like 94%...
I think that's the osteopathic school...WVU MD is more like 20% I think lol
9
907914
Yup my bad, is the osteopathic one. Elmo out!I think that's the osteopathic school...WVU MD is more like 20% I think lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha way to get me all excited for nothing 😛Yup my bad, is the osteopathic one. Elmo out!
WVU has a post-II acceptance rate of like 94%...
Yeah OOS post II is ROUGH. Gotta impress emFor out of state, they received 5062 applications, interviewed 663, accepted 74, and 39 matriculated. I'd say that's closer to a 10% post II acceptance rate for OOS
editing to add: IS is a bit different with 226 apps, 134 interviews, 88 accepted, 73 matriculated
how long does it take for II after submission of secondary? i’m OOS, if that matters ...
Following. But seems like an elapsed time of ~1-2 weeks...how long does it take for II after submission of secondary? i’m OOS, if that matters ...
I submitted mine 7/2 and got an II 7/17how long does it take for II after submission of secondary? i’m OOS, if that matters ...
Do you guys' application statuses explicitly say complete? Or did you receive a complete email? My status "payment accepted, form submitted successfully" but idk if that means complete.
Internationalphysician
Full Member
I received an email saying: Secondary application has been received. Not sure if that's their "complete" email. Received July 19th
What are your Stats/Story?Invited for interview, OOS applicant
Rejected. OOS with less than ideal stats but good experiences. No connection to the state. Best of luck to the rest of you!
how can you check your status ? can you at all?
Internationalphysician
Full Member
When were you complete?Rejected. OOS with less than ideal stats but good experiences. No connection to the state. Best of luck to the rest of you!
7/9When were you complete?
Internationalphysician
Full Member
I see! Don't lose hope. Good luck
Thanks! I already have an II at one DO school! Best of luck to you!I see! Don't lose hope. Good luck
Iamnumber999
Full Member
Waitlisted for interview (OOS). Pretty bummed. Best of luck all
Edit: going through last year's thread, very few went from waitlist -> II
Edit: going through last year's thread, very few went from waitlist -> II
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1Waitlisted for interview (OOS). Pretty bummed. Best of luck all
Edit: going through last year's thread, very few went from waitlist -> II
Waitlisted for interview (OOS). Pretty bummed. Best of luck all
Edit: going through last year's thread, very few went from waitlist -> II
I’m sorry, friend. Keep that head up!
When were you complete?
Can any current students comment on the chance of getting an interview off of the OOS waitlist w/out ties? I'm from a rural county in the northeast, so not neighboring WV, but this is one of my top schools..
Iamnumber999
Full Member
7/12
I’m sorry, friend. Keep that head up!
When were you complete?
Hi guys.. interviewed here last year as an OOS applicant. Luckily I got in elsewhere but wasn’t so fortunate with WVU.
My word of advice is this: if you have ANY connection to WV or interest in rural med, you need to speak up (if it isn’t genuine, don’t bother). Maybe come back to that point several times during your interviews. I hesitate to say this but you might have a slight advantage if from VA/PA. Verifiable? Absolutely not, just my speculation. Last time I checked WVU Medicine was making its way into Pennsylvania too (good conversation piece if you are from PA!).
Unfortunately almost all OOS will land waitlist spots. That’s life in a state that desperately needs physicians to stay in the state, especially southern WV. That isn’t to say you have 0% chance… but it’s slim. Someone that comes to mind from last yr that was OOS that got in early was bayareanative.
If you land on that waitlist and have genuine interest, keep sending updates. Not going to lie, the math doesn’t look good on the MSAR but if you keep working hard you’ll get in somewhere.
I spent much of this past year studying admissions data, student profiles, etc particularly for schools in the northeast. If you want free advice, my DM’s are open til mid August lol. I wish everyone well. Don’t give up!
My word of advice is this: if you have ANY connection to WV or interest in rural med, you need to speak up (if it isn’t genuine, don’t bother). Maybe come back to that point several times during your interviews. I hesitate to say this but you might have a slight advantage if from VA/PA. Verifiable? Absolutely not, just my speculation. Last time I checked WVU Medicine was making its way into Pennsylvania too (good conversation piece if you are from PA!).
Unfortunately almost all OOS will land waitlist spots. That’s life in a state that desperately needs physicians to stay in the state, especially southern WV. That isn’t to say you have 0% chance… but it’s slim. Someone that comes to mind from last yr that was OOS that got in early was bayareanative.
If you land on that waitlist and have genuine interest, keep sending updates. Not going to lie, the math doesn’t look good on the MSAR but if you keep working hard you’ll get in somewhere.
I spent much of this past year studying admissions data, student profiles, etc particularly for schools in the northeast. If you want free advice, my DM’s are open til mid August lol. I wish everyone well. Don’t give up!
Last edited:
Geralt of Rivia
A witcher (and accepted medical student)
II, OOS no connection
Internationalphysician
Full Member
When were you complete? stats?II, OOS no connection
Congrats!
Geralt of Rivia
A witcher (and accepted medical student)
When were you complete? stats?
Congrats!
Thanks, complete 7/2, 4.0 GPA, 512 MCAT, extensive clinical experience
mh7034268
Full Member
Just got an II with no ties whatsoever. Be positive you will hear something soon!!Anyone else with an II but no close ties? Excited for the II and am interested in the school, just worried how hard it will be with no connection to the state...
Internationalphysician
Full Member
Congrats!Just got one too, I’m from VA so maybe that helps. Good luck to everyone else!!
When were you complete? stats please?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an II! OOS, no ties, and I'm pretty sure I'm not complete yet because I know my pre-health committee hasn't set in my recommendation letter packet yet... unless they don't look at recommendation letters pre-II.
BUT my real question is- is there any advantage to interviewing at a specific campus? The only available date in September is the Eastern campus but idk if it's worth the earlier interview since the Eastern Campus only offers 15-minute interviews? Do any current students have experience with this?
BUT my real question is- is there any advantage to interviewing at a specific campus? The only available date in September is the Eastern campus but idk if it's worth the earlier interview since the Eastern Campus only offers 15-minute interviews? Do any current students have experience with this?
II! OOS, no ties. Did anybody who's gotten an II get a confirmation email for your date afterwards?
Internationalphysician
Full Member
Congrats on the interview guys! Anyone who got a complete email around July 19th with an II yet?