2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr strange I wanted to PM you but its not letting me. I would appreciate it if you could message me, thank you. I shouldn't take too much of your time.
You should be able to PM me now.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does ARCOM look past a poor undergrad GPA from 10 or more years ago with the caveat that the post Bach science/pre-req gpa is 3.89 and an otherwise exceptional applicant and 500+ MCAT?

Also, will there be a 2021-2022 thread for ARCOM at the start of the next application cycle? TIA!

Does ARCOM look past a poor undergrad GPA from 10 or more years ago with the caveat that the post Bach science/pre-req gpa is 3.89 and an otherwise exceptional applicant and 500+ MCAT?

Also, will there be a 2021-2022 thread for ARCOM at the start of the next application cycle? TIA!

I had a poor undergrad GPA (in med school terms anyway). I also had a 4.0 post-bac and a 507 MCAT. I got in this cycle, so yes, they value reinvention! Don’t listen to all the SDN “experts” (most of whom are just your competition for a seat anyway) and just apply!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! I had a thought and I wanted to ask what’s the best way to go about this situation- if you sign the lease for a place of living for a certain school but, last minute you get acceptance from your top school?

Hello everyone! I had a thought and I wanted to ask what’s the best way to go about this situation- if you sign the lease for a place of living for a certain school but, last minute you get acceptance from your top school?
This depends on the lease. For example, if you apply for housing at the Residents/Village Apartments at ARCOM, you have to sign a lease agreement agreeing to pay 700$ to hold your apartment, which may be forfeited if you decide not to attend ARCOM (at the discretion of ARCOM). If this is the case, you would have to reach out to the ARCOM Housing and withdraw your housing application. This is unique to ARCOM and really depends on where you apply for housing.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I had a poor undergrad GPA (in med school terms anyway). I also had a 4.0 post-bac and a 507 MCAT. I got in this cycle, so yes, they value reinvention! Don’t listen to all the SDN “experts” (most of whom are just your competition for a seat anyway) and just apply!
Thank you for this! I appreciate it.

Does ARCOM let you review exams? I have heard some schools don't.
They do not. Though, the software we take exams on will give you a report describing your performance on certain sections of the exam. From this, you can deduce which topics/areas you excelled or struggled.

I am withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
For loans, after submitting fafsa, we're basically done right?
We don't need to apply individually for Direct Unsubsidized or Direct Grad PLUS?
And I assume fafsa covers the entire annual amount and we don't need private loans?
Any additional documents? What's this master promissory note? Do we need to submit this?

For loans, after submitting fafsa, we're basically done right?
We don't need to apply individually for Direct Unsubsidized or Direct Grad PLUS?
And I assume fafsa covers the entire annual amount and we don't need private loans?
Any additional documents? What's this master promissory note? Do we need to submit this?
Fafsa application only covers the unsubsidized loan part. You still have to go on studentaid.gov to apply for the grad plus loan and also to complete the MPN and entrance counseling.

Edit: If you only apply for fafsa it will only cover about half of tuition and COL. Unless you also plan to pay out of pocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Can any current students speak on exams? Are they all based off lectures? Are questions pulled from old board questions? And is the curriculum organized by organ systems?

Hi! Can any current students speak on exams? Are they all based off lectures? Are questions pulled from old board questions? And is the curriculum organized by organ systems?
Sure. Yes. No. Yes.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck everyone.

Just received an email to confirm our interest in our waitlist position!

How long do the CastleBranch requirements typically take? Like how many weeks will the whole process be?

Just received an email to confirm our interest in our waitlist position!
+1 and decided to withdraw from the WL. Hoping that inevitable A goes to one of you SDN friends :)

How long do the CastleBranch requirements typically take? Like how many weeks will the whole process be?
After I had my doctor's appointment for my physical and blood tests/titers, it took me maybe two and a half weeks. As long as it meets the requirements and is legible; the documents you submit usually get reviewed within a few days of submitting. ARCOM has very detailed requirements in their student handbook that I found helpful

+1 and decided to withdraw from the WL. Hoping that inevitable A goes to one of you SDN friends :)
+2 on receiving the email, +1 on withdrawing from the WL. Good luck everyone!!!!! :highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone hear the great news? ARCOM IS OFFICIALLY ACCREDITED!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
The WL has started to move. Several of us in the master’s program got accepted this week! Best of luck to you all.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone taken the Anatomy course offered by ARCOM? There's 4 days left until registration closes. I've been considering doing it, but I'm not sure if just relaxing is more worth it. Would you say it helped you a lot during the semester enough to justify doing it?

Has anyone taken the Anatomy course offered by ARCOM? There's 4 days left until registration closes. I've been considering doing it, but I'm not sure if just relaxing is more worth it. Would you say it helped you a lot during the semester enough to justify doing it?
I just finished the master’s program and I did not take the anatomy prep course. I am a non-traditional student and did well in there with hard work. You should be fine, but if you feel that you need it then it probably wouldn’t hurt.

withdrew my acceptance here today, good luck to those on the waitlist!

I just finished the master’s program and I did not take the anatomy prep course. I am a non-traditional student and did well in there with hard work. You should be fine, but if you feel that you need it then it probably wouldn’t hurt.
Did you get accepted to ARCOM from the masters program?

Hello Everyone, I just want to give you a fair warning before coming to ARCOM. First, Congratulations if you were accepted! I hope you do well.

just wanted to give some insight as someone who is here currently. MAKE SURE YOU PASS ALL YOUR CLASSES. If you fail two, whether it's by a percentage point or not, you will not be offered any remediation. Unlike other medical schools. If it's just one class then you may be offered the remediation, no promises. Other medical schools give you much more opportunities to pass, unlike here. So if it's something you are worried about, just know it's a BIG risk here. The big class is BECOM. You will learn about it when you arrive if you haven't already. The main reason I'm writing is because I am in the situation of taking BECOM2 (second semester) remediation exam. I got behind in studying due to other responsibilities. I ended up not passing by 2 percentage point. I was offered it but it's likely everyone is going to fail because of how it is now structured. We were given 12 days to prep for it. It covers 187 modules (the whole semester, so over 4 months of information). Each module is approximately between 60-80 slides of Powerpoint. You will learn that after each block (test you take) you tend to forget the information that was covered (at least most of it) and start focusing on the next. This is because the information isn't as easily digestible as undergrad or masters programs. Some things get pretty complicated. I was a 3.6 GPA in undergrad with a 4.0 Masters. 498 on MCAT. Just to give you some perspective. So I'm admitting that I'm definitely not the most academically inclined person to begin with... like most who end up here. We tend to have some of the lowest MCAT scores in the country.

If you fail this exam, you repeat the whole year over. NOT JUST THE CLASS. You repeat EVERYTHING. Just keep that in mind. With loan interest rates where they are and the time commitment to medical school, this should definitely be considered before coming here. In retrospect, I would have rather taken another year of studying for the MCAT to get into a better school just to make sure protective mechanisms are in place for those of us who have other responsibilities outside of school. Also, if you are somebody who likes to review exams to hit up areas that you may be deficient in, you will not get that here. So don't expect to have that to help. Tutoring is offered here.. but it's time consuming and time isn't something you really want to mess with, with all the information that gets thrown at you. I'm sure you knew that already.

Just wanted to give a friendly caution to anybody heading this way or hoping to get in.

Hello Everyone, I just want to give you a fair warning before coming to ARCOM. First, Congratulations if you were accepted! I hope you do well.

just wanted to give some insight as someone who is here currently. MAKE SURE YOU PASS ALL YOUR CLASSES. If you fail two, whether it's by a percentage point or not, you will not be offered any remediation. Unlike other medical schools. If it's just one class then you may be offered the remediation, no promises. Other medical schools give you much more opportunities to pass, unlike here. So if it's something you are worried about, just know it's a BIG risk here. The big class is BECOM. You will learn about it when you arrive if you haven't already. The main reason I'm writing is because I am in the situation of taking BECOM2 (second semester) remediation exam. I got behind in studying due to other responsibilities. I ended up not passing by 2 percentage point. I was offered it but it's likely everyone is going to fail because of how it is now structured. We were given 12 days to prep for it. It covers 187 modules (the whole semester, so over 4 months of information). Each module is approximately between 60-80 slides of Powerpoint. You will learn that after each block (test you take) you tend to forget the information that was covered (at least most of it) and start focusing on the next. This is because the information isn't as easily digestible as undergrad or masters programs. Some things get pretty complicated. I was a 3.6 GPA in undergrad with a 4.0 Masters. 498 on MCAT. Just to give you some perspective. So I'm admitting that I'm definitely not the most academically inclined person to begin with... like most who end up here. We tend to have some of the lowest MCAT scores in the country.

If you fail this exam, you repeat the whole year over. NOT JUST THE CLASS. You repeat EVERYTHING. Just keep that in mind. With loan interest rates where they are and the time commitment to medical school, this should definitely be considered before coming here. In retrospect, I would have rather taken another year of studying for the MCAT to get into a better school just to make sure protective mechanisms are in place for those of us who have other responsibilities outside of school. Also, if you are somebody who likes to review exams to hit up areas that you may be deficient in, you will not get that here. So don't expect to have that to help. Tutoring is offered here.. but it's time consuming and time isn't something you really want to mess with, with all the information that gets thrown at you. I'm sure you knew that already.

Just wanted to give a friendly caution to anybody heading this way or hoping to get in.
in your opinion, is it really hard to pass classes? do you think this is a YOU thing or more of a way the curriculum is set up? like you I'm not the brightest student (though I am hard working)...and now this is very worrying.

in your opinion, is it really hard to pass classes? do you think this is a YOU thing or more of a way the curriculum is set up? like you I'm not the brightest student (though I am hard working)...and now this is very worrying.
Me too. I'm very good at figuring stuff out. I'm TERRIBLE at memorizing stuff.

Personally, I don't agree with the curriculum. Either way, you need to know all the information for boards but it gets pretty difficult when you have to mix all the different disciplines in one Exam. Also, other schools have more allocated board studying time. This school does but it's half, or less than half, of other schools. I do think it's doable to pass! just don't get behind and you'll be good. Make sure to eliminate all distractions. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT. I REPEAT, DO NOT GET BEHIND. If you are passing everything, there won't be a problem. But like I mentioned, if you are offered a remediation, at least in the second semester, you might as well accept the fact that you will be remediating the whole year. Which means more money spent and time burnt. The main class to pass is BECOM. This is the one that will ruin you if you don't. This school doesn't offer very fair remediation exams, no matter your excuse. At least in my experience.

I'm sure you have heard people say, "the hardest part is getting into medical school", this is true. But most schools have better fail safe mechanisms in place to make sure you keep moving forward. And in my experience here, it does not. The way Administration sees it, if you fail, you are just another piggy bank for them to dip their fingers in. You can have kids, car troubles, money issues.. doesn't matter. If you put in the mad hours to pass you will be fine.

In my case, I had one bad exam, pulled a couple all nighters for it because I got behind with stuff outside of school and it ruined me. I couldn't bring up the grade high enough with the other exams to hit the mark. Some do. Most people pass. So don't think I'm trying to scare you. The above post was just a warning to make sure you have your crap together before getting here.

I will say this, I think the tests here are typically harder than actual board questions. That's my opinion. For a board exam that's pass/fail now, this school definitely doesn't let off on the gas. For example, professors will add a minor detail to an already dense lecture topic because they saw a single board question relevant to it out of 10 board exams. So you will be hit with a lot of low yield stuff too. Which for the sake of sanity, and time, I think is ridiculous when trying to master the basics for the boards.

Personally, I don't agree with the curriculum. Either way, you need to know all the information for boards but it gets pretty difficult when you have to mix all the different disciplines in one Exam. Also, other schools have more allocated board studying time. This school does but it's half, or less than half, of other schools. I do think it's doable to pass! just don't get behind and you'll be good. Make sure to eliminate all distractions. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT. I REPEAT, DO NOT GET BEHIND. If you are passing everything, there won't be a problem. But like I mentioned, if you are offered a remediation, at least in the second semester, you might as well accept the fact that you will be remediating the whole year. Which means more money spent and time burnt. The main class to pass is BECOM. This is the one that will ruin you if you don't. This school doesn't offer very fair remediation exams, no matter your excuse. At least in my experience.

I'm sure you have heard people say, "the hardest part is getting into medical school", this is true. But most schools have better fail safe mechanisms in place to make sure you keep moving forward. And in my experience here, it does not. The way Administration sees it, if you fail, you are just another piggy bank for them to dip their fingers in. You can have kids, car troubles, money issues.. doesn't matter. If you put in the mad hours to pass you will be fine.

In my case, I had one bad exam, pulled a couple all nighters for it because I got behind with stuff outside of school and it ruined me. I couldn't bring up the grade high enough with the other exams to hit the mark. Some do. Most people pass. So don't think I'm trying to scare you. The above post was just a warning to make sure you have your crap together before getting here.

I will say this, I think the tests here are typically harder than actual board questions. That's my opinion. For a board exam that's pass/fail now, this school definitely doesn't let off on the gas. For example, professors will add a minor detail to an already dense lecture topic because they saw a single board question relevant to it out of 10 board exams. So you will be hit with a lot of low yield stuff too. Which for the sake of sanity, and time, I think is ridiculous when trying to master the basics for the boards.
So although, I did well in everything else. Because of one class, I'm looking to remediate the whole year, If I decide to come back. Even got A's in other classes. Doesn't really matter here if you don't pass BECOM

Me too. I'm very good at figuring stuff out. I'm TERRIBLE at memorizing stuff.
Honestly, there is a bunch of stuff you will have to flat out memorize. If you struggle with this, expect to spend a lot more time in the school or wherever you study. Because if you get too comfortable after the first semester it will be likely that you will be riding borderline between pass/fail. I'm more of a concept person too. But knowing just concepts in medical school won't get you a passing grade. You will need to put in the time to drill in the trivial facts in your head. It's doable! just got to put in the hours.

So although, I did well in everything else. Because of one class, I'm looking to remediate the whole year, If I decide to come back. Even got A's in other classes. Doesn't really matter here if you don't pass BECOM

Thank you for your posting here ARCOMstudent11. I hope you pass everything when you remediate, and it works out for you.

So from what I gather, you don't really like the school? I am choosing between NYITCOM and ARCOM. I am learning towards NYITCOM after reading your post.

So they don't let you remediate that one course over the summer? You have to re-take the entire year? Thank you again for posting your experience.

Thank you for your posting here ARCOMstudent11. I hope you pass everything when you remediate, and it works out for you.

So from what I gather, you don't really like the school? I am choosing between NYITCOM and ARCOM. I am learning towards NYITCOM after reading your post.

So they don't let you remediate that one course over the summer? You have to re-take the entire year? Thank you again for posting your experience.
Not dismissing their situation but don't let one person sway your decision. If I had to make a decision between NYIT-JB or ARCOM, it would def be ARCOM just because it's their state school (and they're no longer considered 'new'), but if it was between ARCOM and NYIT-OW, then def NYIT-OW. Obviously, take this with a grain of salt. You probably already know what you want, so do what's best for you.

I am also currently an ARCOM student that just finished my 1st year. I just want to let you know that getting into medical school is hard, trying to pass all the classes and do well in medical school is even harder, at least thats how I see it. Not only at ARCOM, but for sure at any medical school, allopathic or osteopathic alike. Even though boards have became P/F, but I agree with the ARCOM curriculum to not put a break on the study materials, since you definitely need that knowledge not to just pass the boards but to also become an competent physician, no matter what specialties you are going for. I am definitely not the smartest student in the class (got in with 498 MCAT), but I passed all my class with pure hard work and commitment, and I believe you can do the same. I agree that the school has little safety net as mentioned by my classmate, but they also gave fair exams that if you know enough materials, you will pass. They are not trying to fail you, it is just because the nature of medical school is hard. Again for anyone that choosing ARCOM, DO NOT fall behind on the materials and know your priority. Also, do not let one opinion change your decision. Everyone has personal responsibilities, but choosing to go to medical school is your choice.

Reactions: 3 users

I did not pass. In fact, nobody passed the remediation that was given to them for that specific course. They changed how remediation goes. So best case scenario I will get to come back and join your class to start from scratch. I'm not trying to scare you into now coming here, because ARCOM has some perks. It's pretty here for one lol. But be aware other schools will give you much more chances to pass before you have to remediate and this school does not. In my opinion, that is a pretty ****ty situation. For some classes I think there are ways to take stuff in the summer. But as far as the big one goes (BECOM) which is the board heavy one, you will have to repeat the whole year.

I am also currently an ARCOM student that just finished my 1st year. I just want to let you know that getting into medical school is hard, trying to pass all the classes and do well in medical school is even harder, at least thats how I see it. Not only at ARCOM, but for sure at any medical school, allopathic or osteopathic alike. Even though boards have became P/F, but I agree with the ARCOM curriculum to not put a break on the study materials, since you definitely need that knowledge not to just pass the boards but to also become an competent physician, no matter what specialties you are going for. I am definitely not the smartest student in the class (got in with 498 MCAT), but I passed all my class with pure hard work and commitment, and I believe you can do the same. I agree that the school has little safety net as mentioned by my classmate, but they also gave fair exams that if you know enough materials, you will pass. They are not trying to fail you, it is just because the nature of medical school is hard. Again for anyone that choosing ARCOM, DO NOT fall behind on the materials and know your priority. Also, do not let one opinion change your decision. Everyone has personal responsibilities, but choosing to go to medical school is your choice.
Although, I had a bad experience. I agree with MCRAZ. It is doable to pass. You just got to put this school before everything else and pass no matter what. Or else chances of making it through on remediation is next to zero. I could offer the same remediation exam to 3/4 of the class that gets to move on and they would not have passed it. So just pass everything and don't fall behind because, no matter your excuse, you are looking to remediate. Not a whole lot of sympathy for falling behind at ARCOM.

Although, I had a bad experience. I agree with MCRAZ. It is doable to pass. You just got to put this school before everything else and pass no matter what. Or else chances of making it through on remediation is next to zero. I could offer the same remediation exam to 3/4 of the class that gets to move on and they would not have passed it. So just pass everything and don't fall behind because, no matter your excuse, you are looking to remediate. Not a whole lot of sympathy for falling behind at ARCOM.

Thank you for letting me know. If you don't mind me asking, was the remediation exam extra difficult? Otherwise, wouldn't it be easier to pass? I hope you get to repeat however.

I will probably go with NYIT now tbh, it seems like they have more support. Thank you again and I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me know. If you don't mind me asking, was the remediation exam extra difficult? Otherwise, wouldn't it be easier to pass? I hope you get to repeat however.

I will probably go with NYIT now tbh, it seems like they have more support. Thank you again and I hope it works out for you.

For what it is worth, I have heard from many preceptors who have told me that the community in Jonesboro is not supportive of the NYIT students and I have seen first hand that the Ft. Smith community is hugely supportive of ARCOM. Again, not a decision maker, but definitely something to consider when thinking about the availability of and receptiveness for future rotations and placements.

What are current students thoughts on buying hardcover versions of the textbooks?? Does this seldom use happen? Or are there specific books someone would recommend having as a hard copy rather than Ebook?

What are current students thoughts on buying hardcover versions of the textbooks?? Does this seldom use happen? Or are there specific books someone would recommend having as a hard copy rather than Ebook?
You only really need First aid to annotate board relevant things as you go and maybe the Dissector manual for anatomy lab because you need at least one of them per lab group of 4-5. Other than that you will have all you need from the PowerPoint files for class, the physical copies of the books available to borrow at the library, and the e-book versions available on the library website.

For what it is worth, I have heard from many preceptors who have told me that the community in Jonesboro is not supportive of the NYIT students and I have seen first hand that the Ft. Smith community is hugely supportive of ARCOM. Again, not a decision maker, but definitely something to consider when thinking about the availability of and receptiveness for future rotations and placements.

Thank you, that is interesting. By community, do you mean the broader medical community? Or are you referring to the school itself? Thank you again.