2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually made the trip early June and didn’t have any issues, so you’ll be fine!
Thank you very much for confirming that! I very much wish to get to this interview and do the best I can. I am currently sitting at 3 interviews and do not know if I will receive any more. Is it true that the interview at ARCOM is laid back and not too difficult for students?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you very much for confirming that! I very much wish to get to this interview and do the best I can. I am currently sitting at 3 interviews and do not know if I will receive any more. Is it true that the interview at ARCOM is laid back and not too difficult for students?
Sorry I don’t know about the interviews, I haven’t been on one there yet , I’ve only applied and currently waiting for an secondary. But I’ve toured the school (I live in Arkansas) and it’s amazing! Some of my friends go there and they like it a lot.

The interview is very chill and it’s all about getting to know you. It’s closed file so your interviewers don’t know anything about you. It’s very laid back. Not stressful at all.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! I was concerned that some states might stop me from entering or have me do paperwork. Have you recently made the trip? I live somewhat close to Pennsylvania and it will be a 21 hour drive for me. I am in a tough situation because my passport expired and I have a license type that is not accepted for flying. I have the time to make the drive. I am just concerned about having to self-quarantine and somehow being prevented from entering Arkansas.
Not sure where you live, but in my state, NY, they extended the license requirement (Real ID) enforcement to 1 year later. So for NY, the enforcement date used to be 10/01/2020, now they moved it to October of 2021. Check with your state law and TSA. Driving 20+ hours, even non-continuously, before an interview is exhausting.

Not sure where you live, but in my state, NY, they extended the license requirement (Real ID) enforcement to 1 year later. So for NY, the enforcement date used to be 10/01/2020, now they moved it to October of 2021. Check with your state law and TSA. Driving 20+ hours, even non-continuously, before an interview is exhausting.
Thank you for your post! Does this mean that I can fly to Arkansas utilizing my regular license? I hope that I understood you correctly. REAL ID | Transportation Security Administration seems to confirm your statement. I live in a state that is adjacent to New York. Has you or anyone you know flown out of New York recently. I will most likely fly from JFK to Fort Smith Arkansas. Does anyone know if this is possible utilizing a regular license?

Thank you for your post! Does this mean that I can fly to Arkansas utilizing my regular license? I hope that I understood you correctly. REAL ID | Transportation Security Administration seems to confirm your statement. I live in a state that is adjacent to New York. Has you or anyone you know flown out of New York recently. I will most likely fly from JFK to Fort Smith Arkansas. Does anyone know if this is possible utilizing a regular license?
According to the statement, yes you can. BUT... please call and confirm with either airline or TSA to double check before you buy any tickets. best of luck to you! I forgot to register my interview in time and now all the slots are full :(

I have a question for current students. While I'm passionate about rural health, I'm also very interested in global/border/immigrant health. Are there opportunities for a global rotation/ medical mission with this school? I'd go anywhere that accepted me and just try to set something up myself if there wasn't, but I wondered because I had some difficulty finding anything about it online.

I have a question for current students. While I'm passionate about rural health, I'm also very interested in global/border/immigrant health. Are there opportunities for a global rotation/ medical mission with this school? I'd go anywhere that accepted me and just try to set something up myself if there wasn't, but I wondered because I had some difficulty finding anything about it online.
One of the physicians at the school takes a group of students to Africa every summer. He founded a clinic there. The school also has a rotation site in South Korea and one in Costa Rica.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
We've had mission trips to mexico and ghana in 2018 and 2019. It didn't happen this year probably due to covid.
And we also have a partnership with a hospital in South Korea that will give you that opportunity as well.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Can a current student give a detailed breakdown of the school's "blended helix" curriculum? I am interested in knowing more about BECOM, OPP, & FOPC and how those differ from the traditional systems block of other medical schools.

Do they only send a secondary after your required letters of rec are sent?

Anyone have a link to their community outreach programs? I can't find anything on their website at the moment.

For those working in healthcare currently or concerned about the pandemic and interviewing in person...call the admissions office, they are willing to make accommodations for a virtual interview.
For the in person interview...they are requiring face masks, will be doing temperature screenings, and enforcing social distancing.

Were you able to schedule a virtual interview, as a ny resident this is something I am very curious about

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you able to schedule a virtual interview, as a ny resident this is something I am very curious about
Yes. They are being accommodating. Just call the admissions office and tell them your situation/concern. I have a virtual interview on the same day they're holding in person interviews.

I was looking through admissions numbers a few days ago and saw that out of almost 160 matriculants, fewer than 25 were in-state. Does that sound right? Any idea why?

Yes. They are being accommodating. Just call the admissions office and tell them your situation/concern. I have a virtual interview on the same day they're holding in person interviews.
Ok, i emailed them today and my email was forwarded to the admissions director. Hoping they do this for me too

I am out of state if I go to Arkansas WIll i be required to do a 14 day qurantine ? The state is not listed as high risk according to the CDC

I am out of state if I go to Arkansas WIll i be required to do a 14 day qurantine ? The state is not listed as high risk according to the CDC
Its on new yorks list of states i must quarantine after. This is why im hoping to do a virtual in some way.

Its on new yorks list of states i must quarantine after. This is why im hoping to do a virtual in some way.
Yea I am still unsure if I would have to quarantine or not so Idk if I should ask to do a virtutal interview

I was looking through admissions numbers a few days ago and saw that out of almost 160 matriculants, fewer than 25 were in-state. Does that sound right? Any idea why?
No that doesn't sound right. Where do you see those numbers? More people are from out of state than in-state. They have a slight preference for neighboring states.

Yea I am still unsure if I would have to quarantine or not so Idk if I should ask to do a virtutal interview
If you have any concern I would start by contacting the admissions office and going over your situation... I am sure they can guide you down the proper path.

No that doesn't sound right. Where do you see those numbers? More people are from out of state than in-state. They have a slight preference for neighboring states.

I saw it on ChooseDo.org
IMG_9857.png

Seems a bit off to have such a small number of people IS. Maybe UAMS and NYIT are skewing those numbers?

Reactions: 1 user
I saw it on ChooseDo.orgView attachment 314904
Seems a bit off to have such a small number of people IS. Maybe UAMS and NYIT are skewing those numbers?
That's 23 out of 158 (23 +135) being in-state which only represent 14.5% in-state. Yeah, there are 3 schools in the state currently, and there aren't that many medical school applications coming from people in AR compared to other states (the state itself is not very populated, so...).

Edit: I actually misunderstood your previous question. I thought you were saying more people were in-state for some reason. You were right, and what I said only confirmed what you asked at first, so carry on.

Last edited:
That's 23 out of 158 (23 +135) being in-state which only represent 14.5% in-state.

Correct, which seems extraordinarily low.

I was just wondering if this was typical for every class, and if so, if there was a reason the IS numbers are so small.

Correct, which seems extraordinarily low.

I was just wondering if this was typical for every class, and if so, if there was a reason the IS numbers are so small.
I've edited my previous comment, and provided some sort of a reasoning. Keep in mind though that a big chunk of our classes have people from AR, TX, OK, MO, KS still, which somewhat make up for the low in-state matriculation.

Last edited:
I've edited my previous comment, and provided some sort of a reasoning. Keep in mind though that a big chunk of our classes have people from AR, TX, MO, KS still, which somewhat make up for the low in-state matriculation.

Makes sense if there aren’t as many IS applicants. Thanks for the insight!

If you have any concern I would start by contacting the admissions office and going over your situation... I am sure they can guide you down the proper path.
Yea I think I will do that, thanks

Does your app have to be complete before getting a secondary? I know most schools send them without letters of rec, but do you need them for here?

Does your app have to be complete before getting a secondary? I know most schools send them without letters of rec, but do you need them for here?
I got mine without my LORs in.

Can a current student give a detailed breakdown of the school's "blended helix" curriculum? I am interested in knowing more about BECOM, OPP, & FOPC and how those differ from the traditional systems block of other medical schools.
It’s marketing BS. Every class ties in with each other. We have a traditional curriculum. Class descriptions are on the website.

Call. They’re very friendly. I was on the phone for about two minutes and have a virtual interview.

I called yesterday, was told i have to wait for the email to be answered, as the director is very busy. Do you remember who you talked to?

Emailed admissions after midnight and received two email responses from adcom and another from the director within hours this morning.

App still pending review. I take my MCAT in a few weeks.

Emailed admissions after midnight and received two email responses from adcom and another from the director within hours this morning.

App still pending review. I take my MCAT in a few weeks.
I wish they would get back to me. Really interested in the school. Would love to schedule my interview date.

No, have only spoken to Janie, does she have a direct emai?
Have you tried emailing Kelly?
If she is the director of admissions than my email was forwarded to her by Janie. But that was monday and i heard nothing back, was told she is away, but other students are getting replys. Were you able to get your inteview moved virtually?

Got a response today, they did in fact accomidate the virtual interview.

Got a response today, they did in fact accomidate the virtual interview.
Great! Did you email the admissions email account? I want to move the in-person interview I scheduled a few weeks ago to in person

I called yesterday, was told i have to wait for the email to be answered, as the director is very busy. Do you remember who you talked to?
I'm glad someone finally got back to you. I did talk to Kelly DeWitt, Director of Admissions for those interested in calling in the future.

Got the primary received email on 7/20 and still no secondary and kind of worried. On one of the earlier threads for this school someone not from one of the target states but with above average DO stats and got into MSUCOM didn't get a secondary here...I feel like not living in AR or one of the neighboring states is a huge disadvantage

They kinda say so.... "Preference is given to students from rural and underserved environments that are more likely to advance the mission and goals of ARCOM, especially those from Arkansas and Southcentral United States."

They kinda say so.... "Preference is given to students from rural and underserved environments that are more likely to advance the mission and goals of ARCOM, especially those from Arkansas and Southcentral United States."
I've seen that, I just thought it was a slight preference

A few of my classmates are from New York. If they like you enough they’ll accept you.