2020-2021 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got it via email this morning. It doesn't appear to be campus-specific. You have to kind of block off a week for the interview, where you schedule a 30 minute interview with both faculty and a student (mine are different days) and then the Friday of that week there is a required info session with the Dean and breakout rooms, etc.
That is ridiculous... How do they expect applicants working full time to do this? Take the whole week off?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, does anyone know if the interview times scheduled are eastern time or central time? The confirmation email confirmed that the welcome session is central time but the interviews did not.

Thanks!
 
I am on the admissions committee at CUSOM and would be happy to answer any questions people might have. Also, regarding the scheduling, we realize this is not ideal. As a medical student I can tell you it is very difficult for us or faculty to pull all of this off in the age of COVID so we appreciate your patience and interest in Creighton. Best of luck to you future Blue Jay Docs!!!
 
@DoctorDragon22 Does creighton look at applications chronologically or based on set attributes such as service hours, URM, etc?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Can anyone share information on their global initiatives? I found some information on the website but it was fairly limited and it's a little hard to tell what's actually current or common, if that makes sense. Also besides service, what do you see as the key things that Creighton values or takes pride in for their school? Thanks 🙂
 
Hi! Can anyone share information on their global initiatives? I found some information on the website but it was fairly limited and it's a little hard to tell what's actually current or common, if that makes sense. Also besides service, what do you see as the key things that Creighton values or takes pride in for their school? Thanks 🙂
Creighton is service first and foremost as you already identified. We want balanced applicants. We want to see your passion for helping others. To really drive this point home. When people apply to residency the average M4 has about 7 volunteer experiences on their application. The average Creighton student has 14!!! Hope this helps!
 
I am on the admissions committee at CUSOM and would be happy to answer any questions people might have. Also, regarding the scheduling, we realize this is not ideal. As a medical student I can tell you it is very difficult for us or faculty to pull all of this off in the age of COVID so we appreciate your patience and interest in Creighton. Best of luck to you future Blue Jay Docs!!!
Hi Dr. Dragon! I was an alternate last cycle and am reapplying this year. Is there anything different that the admissions committee might look for in reapplicants? I've continued working at the same job so unfortunately not too much has really changed about my application apart from one new volunteering activity
 
Hi Dr. Dragon! I was an alternate last cycle and am reapplying this year. Is there anything different that the admissions committee might look for in reapplicants? I've continued working at the same job so unfortunately not too much has really changed about my application apart from one new volunteering activity
To be honest, if there is not much in your application that has changed since last cycle, the odds of gaining admission are not all that great. We want to see new things which show us that you took the time to make yourself more well-rounded.
 
To be honest, if there is not much in your application that has changed since last cycle, the odds of gaining admission are not all that great. We want to see new things which show us that you took the time to make yourself more well-rounded.
Not much has changed except that I added more volunteering which is what they said my application is lacking in. It's too late for this cycle I guess but do you have advice on how to become more wellrounded? Should we be expected to change our jobs just to become more wellrounded?
 
Not much has changed except that I added more volunteering which is what they said my application is lacking in. It's too late for this cycle I guess but do you have advice on how to become more wellrounded? Should we be expected to change our jobs just to become more wellrounded?
Obviously asking you to quit your job or move to another part of the world to gain entrance to med school would be absurd. But some people (which I am not saying is your case) will apply with the same app but with about 20 hours more of shadowing. That will NOT be enough to show improvement and dedication. You will have to do more shadowing, non-clinical volunteering, research, etc. in order to justify reapplying. Again, if you applied with more or less the same thing last cycle and didn't get in odds are the same app will not get you over the hump this time. I am giving you honest advice as I have come across this with applicants in the past.
 
Obviously asking you to quit your job or move to another part of the world to gain entrance to med school would be absurd. But some people (which I am not saying is your case) will apply with the same app but with about 20 hours more of shadowing. That will NOT be enough to show improvement and dedication. You will have to do more shadowing, non-clinical volunteering, research, etc. in order to justify reapplying. Again, if you applied with more or less the same thing last cycle and didn't get in odds are the same app will not get you over the hump this time. I am giving you honest advice as I have come across this with applicants in the past.
What if the biggest pitfall of your application is applying late? Is that taken into consideration at all?
 
What if the biggest pitfall of your application is applying late? Is that taken into consideration at all?
Applying late does not hurt you. Just keep in mind that as the cycle goes on more spots will be filled so whereas our class of about 170 has maybe 10 to 20 spots filled in the first few weeks we could have half our class filled by some time in October. It just depends on the year and if we really like the applicants that interviewed earlier.
 
Applying late does not hurt you. Just keep in mind that as the cycle goes on more spots will be filled so whereas our class of about 170 has maybe 10 to 20 spots filled in the first few weeks we could have half our class filled by some time in October. It just depends on the year and if we really like the applicants that interviewed earlier.
I know interviews started a little later than usual this year, is Oct 15th still the planed date for your first wave of decisions?
 
I know interviews started a little later than usual this year, is Oct 15th still the planed date for your first wave of decisions?
I have not conducted an interview yet this year so I am unaware of when the first wave of decisions will be. I am also aware that things were delayed this year so my guess is that since they just begun not to long ago, half our class could already be filled by Nov/Dec. Again, it differs from year to year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Obviously asking you to quit your job or move to another part of the world to gain entrance to med school would be absurd. But some people (which I am not saying is your case) will apply with the same app but with about 20 hours more of shadowing. That will NOT be enough to show improvement and dedication. You will have to do more shadowing, non-clinical volunteering, research, etc. in order to justify reapplying. Again, if you applied with more or less the same thing last cycle and didn't get in odds are the same app will not get you over the hump this time. I am giving you honest advice as I have come across this with applicants in the past.
Thank you for the advice!
 
Does anybody know if there's a way to find out our interviewers beforehand? Other schools have posted it on the secondary portal but I don't know if Crighton does something similar since I can't find any info. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im creighton undergrad, wondering the same thing. I have a 516 mcat, 3.65 gpa and complete on 8/21. What about you? Just tryna gage how us Creighton students are doing. Good luck!
Yeah haven’t heard anything yet. We are both more than qualified stats wise and obviously have the benefit of going here already. I’m kinda getting impatient.
 
I was NOT commenting on anyone's individual odds of gaining admission as this is a decision by a committee of people. However, I wanted to provide people with these statistics to give everyone here a better idea of where they stand. If you have a lower MCAT or GPA than the average this does NOT mean you are going to be rejected. On the other hand having above these average stats does NOT mean you will automatically gain acceptance. This is still a holistic process after all. Hang in there and best of luck to you all!