2020-2021 East Carolina (Brody)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed, they said they were interviewing about 1/3 of applicants. So if they stuck with that, I would say they probably finished up/ will finish up to reach around 400 which seems more reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If they are done interviewing at the end of month then:

1. They interviewed 304 applicants (in 2-4 months.) They will have to interview a total of 150 this month (450 in 2019 - just one data point: 2018-2019 East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine
2. They made 52 offers (in 2-4 months.) They will have to make 50-80 more offers in one month.

Someone, please tell me I am wrong...

Feb 1 2021 update:
  • Received 1208 AMCAS applications by the November 1, 2020 deadline.
  • Interviewed 304 applicants, with plans to continue interviewing virtually through February 2021.
  • Made 52 offers.
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class)
So i know Brody interviews 8 people per day so if you do the math for this month, if they were to do 150 interviews that'll take about 19 days which is a lot for a single month. If they do 100 interviews, that's about 13 days which is more reasonable but still a lot. Dang, I just wonder how they can accurately and thoroughly go through this list for the last few spots left.

Has anybody who interviewed in January heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a huge feeling that Brody is just going to keep the people from the past dates (before Jan) and then put them either on the wait list or reject them in March. This is sad since I interviewed in December and it looks like they are well past December :(

I have a huge feeling that Brody is just going to keep the people from the past dates (before Jan) and then put them either on the wait list or reject them in March. This is sad since I interviewed in December and it looks like they are well past December :(
Don't lose hope!! I watched people who interviewed after me get accepted and I finally got the call later! You are under continuous review until you get the R! Stay strong!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Don't lose hope!! I watched people who interviewed after me get accepted and I finally got the call later! You are under continuous review until you get the R! Stay strong!!!
I really needed to hear this! Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Try not to stress! I know that’s easier said than done. I think it’s difficult because we are all looking to make sense of the application cycle when I don’t think there’s any sense to be made. It sucks to sit here and wait but at some point we will know something.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed in October (the second interview date) and have heard absolutely nothing...there are a lot of people in this boat (i.e., majority of applicants), so know that you are not alone.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R just now. LM 73, IS. Application completed in July. Good luck everyone else!

Last edited:
  • Care
What duh!??! So while some of us think Brody was behind in the process, they became quick with Rs now.... Have they interviewed everyone they wanted then?!?! This is insane.

• Sad
Pre-II rejection. Too bad ECU no longer gives application evaluations :/

• Care
What duh!??! So while some of us think Brody was behind in the process, they became quick with Rs now.... Have they interviewed everyone they wanted then?!?! This is insane.
So I guess they did interview everyone and now they are going to go through the interviewed list to pick the remaining people. I think they interviewed less people this time around but not completely sure.

• Care
So I guess they did interview everyone and now they are going to go through the interviewed list to pick the remaining people. I think they interviewed less people this time around but not completely sure.
I wonder if they just ran out of time and just decided to go with fewer IIs.... I guess if they are transparent, then we will see the numbers later.

The people above were early completers... so sad. I hope everyone got a fair shake not b/c adcom ran out of time and decided to go with a smaller pool.

Last edited:
  • Care
Indeed that is such a disservice to aspiring physicians! Hang in there, I’m sure there are some kind souls who have gotten into med school who would be more than willing to provide feedback. Take care and keep persevering!

• Care
So I haven't received an II yet but also have not been rejected. App complete end of August. Guess I'm in limbo?

• Care
At least they have the reapplicant Webinar, but I’d still much rather have a personal conversation with someone in admissions

• Care
Pre II R, LM 73.6. I wish they still gave feedback to applicants

• Care
Pre-II R. IS and LM 70, interviewed at UNC too so I'm a little upset with this one. Wish they gave applicant feedback

Pre-II R. IS and LM 70, interviewed at UNC too so I'm a little upset with this one. Wish they gave applicant feedback
I hope you and all those who got Pre-II R from Brody (but also interviewed at UNC) get accepted at UNC. I'm not saying the two schools have any alliance or cut any deals or even share any info.. But obviously, UNC saw something in you that Brody did not. It is really bizarre and very counter intuitive.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I hope you and all those who got Pre-II R from Brody (also but interviewed at UNC) get accepted at UNC. I'm not saying the two schools have any alliance or cut any deals or even share any info.. But obviously, UNC saw something in you that Brody did not. It is really bizarre and very counter intuitive.
Acknowledging that some things in life don't make sense is critically important for each of us pursuing medicine to realize. I hope that every, single one of you continue to use your dedication to medicine to remember that others are suffering from the most traumatic physical and mental disorders, some of which you will soon lend your heart of passion, care, and knowledge. Each of you are precious, just as are all the patients we will ALL care for soon. This is part of the process that will make us more successful and caring physicians. Godspeed. <3

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Acknowledging that some things in life don't make sense is critically important for each of us pursuing medicine to realize. I hope that every, single one of you continue to use your dedication to medicine to remember that others are suffering from the most traumatic physical and mental disorders, some of which you will soon lend your heart of passion, care, and knowledge. Each of you are precious, just as are all the patients we will ALL care for soon. This is part of the process that will make us more successful and caring physicians. Godspeed. <3
Thanks for your encouraging words! It is indeed at Godspeed!!

Any idea when they’ll start notifying post II “A” or “WL” or “R”?

Do ya'll think they're for sure finished with IIs? Haven't gotten the pre-II R yet and I'm a little surprised to not have heard from them one way or the other.

Do ya'll think they're for sure finished with IIs? Haven't gotten the pre-II R yet and I'm a little surprised to not have heard from them one way or the other.
I would assume they’re not done yet. If they weren’t planning on any more II we would have gotten rejected yesterday likely.

I have no idea what they are doing. I'm first surprised some had no interviews from September at Brody and just got rejected (that's really painful). And they probably might interview a few since they haven't formally rejected everybody that didn't get an interview.

I would assume they’re not done yet. If they weren’t planning on any more II we would have gotten rejected yesterday likely.
Keeping my fingers crossed for us then. I hope they see whatever UNC saw in me lol

LOL spoke too soon, pre-II R just now! Kinda hurt by this one compared to my other more anticipated Rs. Guess they just needed one more day to think about me.

Last edited:
I know someone had mentioned that Brody may be harder to get into than UNC given the fewer seats and more specific mission... but given the current results and data, I'm not believing those are the reasons this year.... Sorry to hear about all the Rs especially without seeing all the As and WLs yet... it is like they are done with interviews and don't need more options... which is mind-blowing...

Last edited:
I know someone had mentioned that Brody may be harder to get into than UNC given the fewer seats and more specific mission... but given the current results and data, I'm not believing those are the reasons this year.... Sorry to hear about all the Rs especially without seeing all the As and WLs yet... it is like they are done with interviews and don't need more options... which is mind-blowing...
I highly doubt that is the case. I have confidence that they strategically choose to interview candidates that fit their school for the betterment of their goals and mission, as do most U.S. medical schools (even this year!). A good test score cannot predict the abilities of a future physician, and I think ECU-Brody is one of the leading medical schools that exemplifies its mission of heart of a servant over a single score that is saturated with inequities. I also don't think its fair to compare ECU and UNC - their missions and core values are not comparable, in my opinion. There was no conditional statement in their application that guaranteed any one of us an interview, it is up to them and solely them to choose their students and we should respect that.

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed in October (the second interview date) and have heard absolutely nothing...there are a lot of people in this boat (i.e., majority of applicants), so know that you are not alone.
On the same boat as you

• Care
I assume the majority of application decisions will be released by the end of next week? What do y'all think?

I assume the majority of application decisions will be released by the end of next week? What do y'all think?
Even if the decisions are not all released, I think things will be a lot clearer because they’ll probably update the Brody webpage to show how many interviews and acceptances they’ve given as of 3/1.

Reactions: 2 users