2020-2021 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the headshot we submit with our supplemental application, does it matter if it's done in a professional studio or can it be taken on a nice camera? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when GUSOM sends out its first round of interview invites (aka Zoom links this year lol)? Is it late July, August or Sept?
I saw on MSAR they mentioned invites being sent late July!

Reactions: 1 user
Are folks putting the secondary question in their one page prompt or just the response?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't say anything about an ER. The consensus on reddit seems to be that this a weird way of describing clinical experience, and it shouldn't deter you from applying unless you have like no shadowing or something like that.
I meant that the majority of my clinical experience was in the ER stocking shelves. But like the other guy said above, I've had some other experiences that have informed my views on patient care

For the headshot we submit with our supplemental application, does it matter if it's done in a professional studio or can it be taken on a nice camera? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
I doubt it matters! Mine was taken on a nice camera and still ended up blurry once submitted to the website :( Hopefully that's only an issue on our end though!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone else finding 1000 characters to be waaaay too short for the "what can you contribute" essay? I'm really struggling with what to take out, lol

anyone else finding 1000 characters to be waaaay too short for the "what can you contribute" essay? I'm really struggling with what to take out, lol

Mine was like 2500 characters at first and I had to cut so much out //:

• Sad
"The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)"

Is this basically a diversity essay? Or is it an essay in which we have to talk about how our activities and experiences focus on the "all dimensions of caring" aspect?

What are people writing about in their optional essay? Usually I use this spot for a "Why school" essay but they already have that. Not sure I want to write about Covid because while my MCAT and some opportunities were pushed back, generally I am ok. Any ideas? thanks!

I'd mention your COVID issues. There's a lot of people who had activities that weren't affected by COVID at all, so they won't really know unless you tell them. It's also not unnecessary fluff like some people use for their additional information essays. Just be straight to the point with what it affected.

Members don't see this ad :)
For this prompt: The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters, include space).

I was wondering if it's simply a diversity essay or if I can talk about other aspects, such as a significant research experience.

For this prompt: The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters, include space).

I was wondering if it's simply a diversity essay or if I can talk about other aspects, such as a significant research experience.
You could certainly approach it like a diversity essay, but I think the way the prompt is posed gives you leeway to answer it in other ways too. If you can talk about how you're contributing to the community/bringing educational benefits with your research experience, I'd say go for it!

I'd mention your COVID issues. There's a lot of people who had activities that weren't affected by COVID at all, so they won't really know unless you tell them. It's also not unnecessary fluff like some people use for their additional information essays. Just be straight to the point with what it affected.
I had a research experience that was cancelled which I figured I could mention. Would this be the time to mention a lower MCAT score than expected due to circumstances? I got a 510 which isn't something to complain about but my date had been pushed back a few months and I had gotten little sleep the week prior as I had been going to protests. I do not want to sound like I'm complaining or making excuses though.

I had a research experience that was cancelled which I figured I could mention. Would this be the time to mention a lower MCAT score than expected due to circumstances? I got a 510 which isn't something to complain about but my date had been pushed back a few months and I had gotten little sleep the week prior as I had been going to protests. I do not want to sound like I'm complaining or making excuses though.

Definitely mention the research. For the MCAT stuff, I really wouldn't mention it. It's kind of a stretch to talk about. You don't wanna leave it up to the reader to interpret it as excuse making, even if it isn't.

Yeah I agree that you should talk about the research experience but leave out the part about the MCAT. Protests are important, but to a med school that will just sound like an excuse.

Also no mean to be rude, but a 510 is by no means "BAD" (at least from what I've been told, I also have a 510 lol). And like others have mentioned, it might come off as you making excuses.

Has anyone heard of Gtown auto-rejecting applicants 20 minutes after submitting a secondary? I just heard about this happening to some people and then I was told it’s common?????

• Sad
Yeah some of my friends on Twitter told me about it, I was just about to ask that! That seems like a money grab (Yes I realize most med schools are sadly lol).

Has anyone heard of Gtown auto-rejecting applicants 20 minutes after submitting a secondary? I just heard about this happening to some people and then I was told it’s common?????
wow that's kind of tragic. I honestly hate when schools send secondaries to everyone, even when they already KNOW you automatically won't meet XYZ cutoff. like just tell me now instead of forcing me to spend my time and money on nothing.

wow that's kind of tragic. I honestly hate when schools send secondaries to everyone, even when they already KNOW you automatically won't meet XYZ cutoff. like just tell me now instead of forcing me to spend my time and money on nothing.

someone got rejected at 2:30am after submitting at 2. Thats terrifying

• Sad
someone got rejected at 2:30am after submitting at 2. Thats terrifying
that's horrifying lol. at least my application won't even be read until August because that's when I'll have my MCAT score :cryi:

Got a complete email at 2am. Have not been auto-rejected yet (was a fear). My stats are a bit on the lower end of their range but I’m a DC resident and I wrote a lot about the local community so maybe they’ll give me at least a courtesy review.

Reactions: 5 users
Got a complete email at 2am. Have not been auto-rejected yet (was a fear). My stats are a bit on the lower end of their range but I’m a DC resident and I wrote a lot about the local community so maybe they’ll give me at least a courtesy review.

Ayyyy DC! I'm moving from Arlington aka Amazon HQ2's construction site into DC today. This move is crushing my MCAT momentum but it needed to be done.

Anyone know how strict they are about online degrees? All my Science prerequisites courses were taken in traditional in-seat classes with accompanying labs.
But my bachelors was from an online program.

I'm a Washington D.C native too, spent majority of my life in D.C or Prince George's MD, would that give me some leniency

What format are you guys doing the 1 pager? Double spaced, TMR, 12 font?

Single spaced is really tempting so I can write more, but at the same time I'm so used to the double spacing from college that I think single-spaced is so unappealing haha

What format are you guys doing the 1 pager? Double spaced, TMR, 12 font?
I'm doing 1.25 spaced, cambria, and 12 pt. font just because it fills up the page nicely. Do whatever you think will look good as long as the font isn't crazy!

I feel like 1 page 'at your discretion' could be 3/4 of a page to 2 pages with small font. Can I get an opinion on about how many words? I feel that may be too concise?

I feel like 1 page 'at your discretion' could be 3/4 of a page to 2 pages with small font. Can I get an opinion on about how many words? I feel that may be too concise?
brevity is the soul of the wit

if you can say what you need to in less words, i am sure whoever is reading your application will appreciate that

What are people writing about in their optional essay? Usually I use this spot for a "Why school" essay but they already have that. Not sure I want to write about Covid because while my MCAT and some opportunities were pushed back, generally I am ok. Any ideas? thanks!
Why not write about the stuff that was pushed back? Those things would have made you stand out more than you do now, and posting it also shows that you had some plan for what you would presumably be doing right now, rather than just sitting at home.

What did you guys put for former name(s)? Not sure what the question is asking

+1 !

How are you guys formatting the 1 page essay? I'm thinking of doing double space 12 pt font.
That's what I was planning to do. Any thoughts on the heading? Are you going to repeat the prompt or have a title or anything? Or address it like a letter to admissions?

What did you guys put for former name(s)? Not sure what the question is asking
You would only have a former name if you have legally changed your name. Usually this would be in the case of marriage, or maybe a gender transition if you want to put your dead name.

You would only have a former name if you have legally changed your name. Usually this would be in the case of marriage, or maybe a gender transition if you want to put your dead name.

Gotchu thanks!

Single spaced is really tempting so I can write more, but at the same time I'm so used to the double spacing from college that I think single-spaced is so unappealing haha
I'm the opposite. I hated having to double space my writing in college (so inefficient!) and love the way single spacing looks.

Sent my secondary today. Hopefully I don't get auto-rejected lol.