2020-2021 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Georgetown University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These are the secondary prompts from last year (2019-2020) if anyone is interested. Prompts for 2020-2021 might be different.

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1,000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1,000 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
Would further information be an appropriate place to input positions and extra curriculars that you weren't able to put into the primary? (e.g. if I got a new position since submitting)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly does GT look for? They are one of my top choices going into this cycle. If any current students can shed light on this, that'd be amazing!

What exactly does GT look for? They are one of my top choices going into this cycle. If any current students can shed light on this, that'd be amazing!
Service.

mention cura personalis a crap ton in your essay and connect them to your services experiences and what it means to be a doctor

Reactions: 2 users
Service.

mention cura personalis a crap ton in your essay and connect them to your services experiences and what it means to be a doctor

Thanks kobe, keep that mamba mentality.

Do they give a **** about research? It seems 97% of their matriculants had research experience.

Thanks kobe, keep that mamba mentality.

Do they give a **** about research? It seems 97% of their matriculants had research experience.
I think your going to see that stat for most schools.

Research will help wherever you apply, but again I think Georgetown is more concerned with services. I personally didn't mention research anywhere in my secondary (though I did have a decent amount of hours).

Question for any current Georgetown students. I personally love the ideals of service for Jesuit schools, like Georgetown, and the values they stand for. I am spiritual, but I follow a religion that is not Christianity. I was planning on mentioning a sentence or two about being spiritual and how that has influenced my service work, but do you think Jesuit schools would be turned off for not being Christian? I’ve read that they don’t mind the religion, just that you have their values, but just wanted to confirm

Question for any current Georgetown students. I personally love the ideals of service for Jesuit schools, like Georgetown, and the values they stand for. I am spiritual, but I follow a religion that is not Christianity. I was planning on mentioning a sentence or two about being spiritual and how that has influenced my service work, but do you think Jesuit schools would be turned off for not being Christian? I’ve read that they don’t mind the religion, just that you have their values, but just wanted to confirm

I think most of the Jesuit schools are actually very open and non-discriminatory so I don’t think that would be an issue for them at all.

I think most of the Jesuit schools are actually very open and non-discriminatory so I don’t think that would be an issue for them at all.

Do they like non-trad/re-inventors? Do you have any advice for a prospective applicant?

Service.

A quick Google search has informed me that cura personalis is "care for the whole person," and that Georgetown is focused around that idea.

I feel like that's just a fancier way of saying the same thing every other school says (no offense to Georgetown intended). Can any current students comment on how this philosophy is carried out at Georgetown, or any differences in the curriculum that grow out of the cura personalis idea?

Last edited:
Do they like non-trad/re-inventors? Do you have any advice for a prospective applicant?
I actually have no idea haha I am reapplying this cycle, but just found through these threads last cycle that the jesuit schools seemed to be very non-discriminatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
@TheDataKing

Secondary prompts, same as last year:

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
There are also two "short answer" questions (1000 characters each):

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body.

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?

I saw on reddit someone say that Georgetown considers volunteering on the floor of a hospital as non-clinical. Can someone confirm this? That would drastically lower my clinical experience lol

what does "former name" mean?

A quick Google search has informed me that cura personalis is "care for the whole person," and that Georgetown is focused around that idea.

I feel like that's just a fancier way of saying the same thing every other school says (no offense to Georgetown intended). Can any current students comment on how this philosophy is carried out at Georgetown, or any differences in the curriculum that grow out of the cura personalis idea?
Yeah so I just took it as “talk about your non clinical volunteering and non clinical stuff at Georgetown that interests you” since whole person means not just medically related

I saw on reddit someone say that Georgetown considers volunteering on the floor of a hospital as non-clinical. Can someone confirm this? That would drastically lower my clinical experience lol

Yeah, I saw this. I looked it up, and here's what it says on their FAQ about experiences they look for: "A highly competitive applicant will present substantive, longitudinal clinical experiences (shadowing a physician, medical mission trips, scribing – International experiences are acceptable, but a majority should be in the United States), research in any academic discipline, and direct service of the underserved. Please note that volunteering on the floors of a hospital such as playing/reading to children, stocking shelves and transporting patients is considered good community volunteer experience, but not hands-on clinical experience."

edit: spelling

Yeah, I saw this. I looked it up, and here's what it says on their FAQ about experiences they look for: "A highly competitive applicant will present substantive, longitudinal clinical experiences (shadowing a physician, medical mission trips, scribing – International experiences are acceptable, but a majority should be in the United States), research in any academic discipline, and direct service of the underserved. Please note that volunteering on the floors of a hospital such as playing/reading to children, stocking shelves and transporting patients is considered good community volunteer experience, but not hands-on clinical experience."

edit: spelling
funny now something like patient transport is not considered "hands-on clinical experience", but walking behind a physician is.

Reactions: 5 users
@Cole42 Thank you for sharing that. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. But as you say, Georgetown truly looked out for you during that time. That's pretty rare for an institution - at least in my experience - so I'm certainly excited to add my application to the multitude.

+1 !

How are you guys formatting the 1 page essay? I'm thinking of doing double space 12 pt font.

So if the majority of my clinical volunteering was in an ER, does that mean I shouldn't apply here?

Submitted earlier today. Complete just now.

So if the majority of my clinical volunteering was in an ER, does that mean I shouldn't apply here?
It doesn't say anything about an ER. The consensus on reddit seems to be that this a weird way of describing clinical experience, and it shouldn't deter you from applying unless you have like no shadowing or something like that.

Just wanted to share something I came across while reading Georgetown's Guide to Application: "If you have indicated on your application that you are registered for an upcoming MCAT date, we will not begin reviewing your application until that score is received." For anyone else who has not yet taken the MCAT (7/31 for me!), don't feel bad about prioritizing MCAT studying over this secondary for the time being. Even if you submit your secondary now, your application will not be reviewed at all and you will not be granted an interview until all the scores and components are received.

No, you should still apply as long as your have other complimentary clinical experiences like shadowing that give you real insight into patient care. Georgetown is very big on service, so that volunteering will still be a plus even if it isn't considered "clinical".

"Formatted at your discretion"

Ooof. I've spent ten minutes just trying to decide between Times New Roman and Arial.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Having to upload a headshot makes me so nervous. I'm gonna get rejected for being ugly

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Does anyone know when GUSOM sends out its first round of interview invites (aka Zoom links this year lol)? Is it late July, August or Sept?

What are people writing about in their optional essay? Usually I use this spot for a "Why school" essay but they already have that. Not sure I want to write about Covid because while my MCAT and some opportunities were pushed back, generally I am ok. Any ideas? thanks!

What are people writing about in their optional essay? Usually I use this spot for a "Why school" essay but they already have that. Not sure I want to write about Covid because while my MCAT and some opportunities were pushed back, generally I am ok. Any ideas? thanks!
I'm considering mentioning a new leadership position I'll have in the fall (for a student org), but not sure if it's worth it. Similar to you, I was lucky enough not to be affected too much by COVID-19, so I might just leave this part blank. I think in general people use these open-ended essays to explain discrepancies with grades or important updates to their application, so if none of those apply don't worry about leaving it!

Does anyone know when GUSOM sends out its first round of interview invites (aka Zoom links this year lol)? Is it late July, August or Sept?
Since the secondary app says their interview season will be August - February this cycle, I would assume the earliest they send invites is a week or two before August so there's enough time to schedule.

I'm just writing about my clinical gap year job that I didn't include on AMCAS bc I got it after submitting