2020-2021 Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Hofstra University

Members don't see this ad.

@wolfram&hart haven't gotten a secondary yet but my casper is missing from a few schools (when I sent it to them in may), I'm assuming they just haven't processed them all yet

Reactions: 1 user
secondary received a few days ago, by any chance is the casper showing up as incomplete for anyone even though it says results delivered on the casper site?
Just got the confirmation of primary email. No secondaries yet

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
secondary received a few days ago, by any chance is the casper showing up as incomplete for anyone even though it says results delivered on the casper site?
Do you mind posting the prompts? Thanks!

Reactions: 5 users
prompt:

Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge.

optional
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges.

Reactions: 2 users
prompt:

Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge.

optional
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that there may be certain challenges you have encountered during the application process. Please use this space to describe any of those challenges.

Thank you! what were the character counts of those essay prompts?

Secondary received and submitted 7/14. Marked complete an hour later.

Marked complete at 3:00 this morning. Verified yesterday

Would it look bad to not complete the optional covid essay? I mention in my gap year essay that my volunteering was put on hold, but otherwise my application hasn't been affected. I also wouldn't really consider having to go to work in-person at my job much of a challenge in comparison to those who work in healthcare. I wouldn't want to sound inconsiderate by saying that having to be at work would be a challenge.
Curious too. I’ve been working despite all of this so it hasnt at all affected my app

Members don't see this ad :)
just want to apologize for being trash at using sdn since I just saw this now RIP. glad someone else ended up posting the prompts though
Don't worry about it! I'm sure we are all busy and not checking our notifications as often right now anyways.

What are you all putting as your professional non-academic letter? Seems pretty uncommon unless you just put a physician letter but physician letters aren't generally considered too meaningful anyways.

What are you all putting as your professional non-academic letter? Seems pretty uncommon unless you just put a physician letter but physician letters aren't generally considered too meaningful anyways.
I don't think it's too uncommon! Like if you worked during or after undergrad, did research, or volunteered with an organization, your supervisor/mentor could write the professional non-academic letter. I think non-academic just means they aren't your actual professor. And with all the research and volunteering we're expected to do as premeds, it seems common/expected that we'd form a meaningful relationship with a non-professor person in our lives lol

Does anyone have any experience with Hofstra’s Early Decision Program? Would love to get some insight from a current student/former applicant.

Anyone know if casper is needed for completion or just needed for overall decision. I checked their website and it seemed unclear to me.

Is that a requirement for the secondary application? All of my individual letters are from professors and a committee letter is being written. I haven't asked anyone for a non-academic letter. Am I screwed? Or should I ask them now?

I think even if it is a requirement, committee letters override and fulfill all individual requirement, generally

Anyone else just receive a VITA interview?
I did.
" To be considered for a live one on one virtual interview, the AAMC VITA must be completed. An AAMC VITA invitation does not guarantee a live one on one interview. This will be reviewed in combination with your potential virtual live interview and together both will serve as the interview portion of your application. "

So I guess this isn't an II, oh well

I did.
" To be considered for a live one on one virtual interview, the AAMC VITA must be completed. An AAMC VITA invitation does not guarantee a live one on one interview. This will be reviewed in combination with your potential virtual live interview and together both will serve as the interview portion of your application. "

So I guess this isn't an II, oh well
I got really excited for a second there too :(

• Care
So what do y'all think?

Secondary > All applicants receive VITA > Select applicants receive II

Secondary > Select applicants receive VITA > Select VITA applicants receive II

So what do y'all think?

Latter, lot of people seemed to not get the VITA email yet. But can't say for sure yet this early on

Yeah I have not received the VITA invite so its prob a select few.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the VITA invite, which is great but also frustrating that it's VITA lol. I'm grateful tho.

Anyone know when we need to complete VITA by? Haven't done any prep for it lol

I thought VITA Invites got sent out every Thursday morning? I completed it for UMASS already

Anyone know when we need to complete VITA by? Haven't done any prep for it lol
I can't seem to find anything on Hofstra's site, but UMass has a 2 week deadline from when you receive the invite.

I already took it. Honestly, it was easier than I expected because the questions aren't specific to your app. Just make sure you have anecdotes ready + a good setup/WiFi to record video.

Well I was complete 7/21 so I’m hoping that’s why I haven’t gotten the invite yet

+1 No Vita invite gang. Trying to not let the gloomies get me today

Complete 7/16

I thought VITA Invites got sent out every Thursday morning? I completed it for UMASS already

I also completed it for UMass already so do we think we will not necessarily be invited again but maybe get an email with Hofstra added to our list Thursday morning? Because I remember a second email showing the list of schools last time with only UMass listed.

So what do y'all think?

I was complete just a day or two ago so I would say the second. No vita yet

If this helps anyone, I just listened to the "All Access: Med School Admissions" podcast hosted by one of the adcoms at Case Western. About two weeks ago, he interviewed the Dean of Admissions at Zucker, and she stated that they are "not using it (VITA) as a prescreen." Zucker is treating VITA like the "scenario rooms" one would encounter in their MMI, and they will be scoring VITA as such.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
If this helps anyone, I just listened to the "All Access: Med School Admissions" podcast hosted by one of the adcoms at Case Western. About two weeks ago, he interviewed the Dean of Admissions at Zucker, and she stated that they are "not using it (VITA) as a prescreen." Zucker is treating VITA like the "scenario rooms" one would encounter in their MMI, and they will be scoring VITA as such.

Does that mean that getting it is equivalent to getting an II? Like you’ll eventually get it?

Because the wording of the email makes it seem like a prescreen.

Does that mean that getting it is equivalent to getting an II? Like you’ll eventually get it?

I get the sense that it's a middle ground b/w a prescreen and an II - not quite either. They probably send it out to a somewhat select group they're thinking about interviewing and then they narrow it down from there before making true II decisions.

Maybe it's a "if you don't royally **** up we'll send you an II"? Even the wording of the email is strange.

First, they say it's not a guarantee.

Then, they say it's going to be used with the one-on-one virtual live one to make up how well you did in the interview (aka VITA + live = total interview).

So, everyone let's do our best?!

I'm also very confused on this point, but what's certain is that they are using VITA to replace the MMI and will subsequently have two 30-minute one-on-one virtual interviews. But yeah, the email seems to make it clear that the VITA invitation is not equivalent to the II for the one-on-one interviews.

Exact quote from the podcast regarding VITA: "Now, we're not using it as a prescreen. That was one of the ways that the AAMC at least marketed it as possibly using it as some way of deciding who would you actually interview virtually in-person, so to speak. We're not doing that. We're, you know, using it as the scenario rooms, you know, so, what were our scenario rooms. And coupling it with the two real virtual interviews, and those will be evaluated together."

:unsure:

• Hmm
Exact quote from the podcast regarding VITA: "Now, we're not using it as a prescreen. That was one of the ways that the AAMC at least marketed it as possibly using it as some way of deciding who would you actually interview virtually in-person, so to speak. We're not doing that. We're, you know, using it as the scenario rooms, you know, so, what were our scenario rooms. And coupling it with the two real virtual interviews, and those will be evaluated together."

:unsure:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 1.52.53 PM.png

giphy.gif

hofstra y u do dis

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users