2020-2021 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
adding to the pre-ii R. GL anyone still in the running

Members don't see this ad.

I think this has happened to several people before including myself. Someone from the admissions office reached out to me with available dates soon after. If you still can't schedule by tomorrow and haven't heard from them, you could try emailing the office.
Thanks, I emailed the admission office yesterday and they scheduled interview on 2/26 (only available date )

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how to actually schedule the interview? I can't for the life of me figure it out on their portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed, what was the interview day like? Mine is coming up soon and I'm curious what the vibe was like.

Last edited:
For those who interviewed, what was the interview day like? Mine is coming up this week and I'm curious what the vibe was like.
For closed file, I cannot recommend the SDN interview feedback page enough for example questions. The interviewers here were very supportive and encouraging to talk to. For open file, all the students told me to know my application well, esp to explain research. Surprisingly, my application never came up and we just talked about Nashville. It was extremely conversational and relaxed (and was told it would've had this vibe even if I had been asked about my app)

Last edited:
For closed file, I cannot recommend the SDN interview feedback page enough for example questions. The interviewers here were very supportive and encouraging to talk to. For open file, all the students told me to know my application well, esp to explain research. Surprisingly, my application never came up and we just talked about Nashville. It was extremely conversational and relaxed (and was told it would've had this vibe even if I had been asked about my app)

Thanks for sharing! Appreciate it!

For those who interviewed, what was the interview day like? Mine is coming up this week and I'm curious what the vibe was like.
Interview day here was one of my favorites. Obviously do your best and don't blow it off, but it was really low stress and laid-back. 1 hour open file interview where you should be prepared to be asked about any part of your application, but also be ready for genuine conversation for you and your interviewer to get to know each other. 30 min closed file behavioral questions (~5 or so questions). Southern hospitality is real, and I'm excited for you to experience what we have to offer!

Reactions: 2 users
Interview day here was one of my favorites. Obviously do your best and don't blow it off, but it was really low stress and laid-back. 1 hour open file interview where you should be prepared to be asked about any part of your application, but also be ready for genuine conversation for you and your interviewer to get to know each other. 30 min closed file behavioral questions (~5 or so questions). Southern hospitality is real, and I'm excited for you to experience what we have to offer!
Thanks for the response, this is my dream and I'm super excited. It's pretty late in the cycle but I hope I have the chance for an A here!

Thanks for the tips!

I JUST GOT THE A CALL!!!! (They said they do the call before sending out the email which I'll get by Monday!)
edit: interview was 1/29

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I got the A call as well!!!!!!!!! SO excited

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A call today!! Interviewed last week of January

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to everyone who received acceptances today!! I interviewed on 11/2/2020. Do you think my hopes for attending VUSOM for medical school over? Did any non 2021 interviewees receive any acceptance today?

Did anyone who interviewed in early/mid January receive acceptance calls today?

Last edited:
Friendly reminder that in the last acceptance wave, some calls went out at like 9pm CST and others got theirs into the weekend

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed in early/mid December and haven’t gotten the call yet

Just got the A call! Interviewed mid September! LM 70.5

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Congrats everyone!! Was anyone informed of merit aid on their call?
nope. think someone said back in the december acceptance round that if you arent told about merit aid on the call that means you didnt receive it :/ that being said, i didnt see any reports of people saying they received merit aid in the last round

Just got the A call! Interviewed mid September! LM 70.5
To add to my previous post, I sent one letter of interest and one update letter about a month apart in case anyone is curious about details like that

Reactions: 3 users
Seems like there weren't any acceptance calls today... I guess we should take that as the February wave is over? 😥

• Hmm
  • Wow
Seems like there weren't any acceptance calls today... I guess we should take that as the February wave is over? 😥
Maybe they will continue on Monday?

Reactions: 4 users
for those of you who got in recently, have you already gotten an email/portal update? I'm in a different country right now and am unable to receive international calls, but I'm hoping there's still a possibility for me this wave 😅

Congrats everyone!! Was anyone informed of merit aid on their call?
I got accepted back in December and got merit based aid on the acceptance phone call. They also told me the need based aid wouldn’t come until Spring after we’ve filled out the CSS profile and FAFSA.

for those of you who got in recently, have you already gotten an email/portal update? I'm in a different country right now and am unable to receive international calls, but I'm hoping there's still a possibility for me this wave 😅
Yeah, I got it this morning. Good luck :)

If your interview date seems like it should have been part of the February wave, but no call was received, does this mean you are about to be WL/R, or does this mean that decision is deferred until March?

If your interview date seems like it should have been part of the February wave, but no call was received, does this mean you are about to be WL/R, or does this mean that decision is deferred until March?
Probably deferred to March. Wonder if they accept roughly a third of the class on each date, or if March will be a big wave of As and WL/R.

nope. think someone said back in the december acceptance round that if you arent told about merit aid on the call that means you didnt receive it :/ that being said, i didnt see any reports of people saying they received merit aid in the last round
just adding a +1 of an A with no mention of merit aid. Definitely eager to hear if anyone got it this time around/if this for sure means there's none for us

just adding a +1 of an A with no mention of merit aid. Definitely eager to hear if anyone got it this time around/if this for sure means there's none for us
I was notified of merit aid on my call!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I was also notified of merit aid on my call this past friday

• Love
Wow congrats you guys! ngl pretty bummed out because I loved Vandy but am realizing it is veryyy pricey haha. Does anyone have any idea if they ever play ball with matching merit etc? I have no idea how to even go about that but am realizing it may be the only way I could attend :(

They really don't match merit at all. They offer more scholarships than they have, so you need to hope that at least a few people don't take theirs. And the school doesn't really know if people are taking them until after April 30 so they can't offer them out as they are given up because people often do not give much notice before April 30 about not attending. Best you can do is let them know that it's a dealbreaker and try calling April 30 hoping they have one for you (but it's extremely unlikely).

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
They really don't match merit at all. They offer more scholarships than they have, so you need to hope that at least a few people don't take theirs. And the school doesn't really know if people are taking them until after April 30 so they can't offer them out as they are given up because people often do not give much notice before April 30 about not attending. Best you can do is let them know that it's a dealbreaker and try calling April 30 hoping they have one for you (but it's extremely unlikely).
Thanks for explaining! I think it’s best if I just let my love go then unfortunately haha

• Care
Hey everyone! So I interviewed with Vanderbilt way back in October but did not hear in the first two acceptance waves. I sent a letter of interest as well. Do you all know if the later waves were historically used for applicants who interviewed later? Or did people who interviewed in the beginning of the year get accepted after being passed up multiple times? Like I see people are interviewing this month. Would the March wave likely be intended primarily for them? Vanderbilt is definitely a school I'm excited about, so I'm looking forward to hearing back something soon :)

Hey everyone! So I interviewed with Vanderbilt way back in October but did not hear in the first two acceptance waves. I sent a letter of interest as well. Do you all know if the later waves were historically used for applicants who interviewed later? Or did people who interviewed in the beginning of the year get accepted after being passed up multiple times? Like I see people are interviewing this month. Would the March wave likely be intended primarily for them? Vanderbilt is definitely a school I'm excited about, so I'm looking forward to hearing back something soon :)
I think if you haven’t heard back you’re still in the running! Vandy has usually done only 2 waves in the past so this is a new format, but I know I interviewed in mid September, didn’t hear back in December, but heard back in Feb so they definitely are still looking at people from previous months! It ain’t over til it’s over

You are very much still in the running. Hang in there!

Has anyone who interviewed in early to mid January heard back yet? During my interview day, they had said that we are borderline for the Feb wave but it seems like folks who interviewed at the end of Jan have already heard back.

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed in early to mid January heard back yet? During my interview day, they had said that we are borderline for the Feb wave but it seems like folks who interviewed at the end of Jan have already heard back.
Interviewed in late November and haven’t heard a thing lol I think we’re all deferred to the March wave

also interviewed in mid-January and haven't heard back yet

Did you guys send 2 letters of interest - one when you interviewed and one closer to decisions? Or do you guys think 1 letter of interest is enough? Would a 2nd letter even make it to them on time at this point? Hoping someone is kind/altruistic enough to answer. I have not been on SDN for months

Did you guys send 2 letters of interest - one when you interviewed and one closer to decisions? Or do you guys think 1 letter of interest is enough? Would a 2nd letter even make it to them on time at this point? Hoping someone is kind/altruistic enough to answer. I have not been on SDN for months
i did not send any update post-interview and was accepted in the feb wave. i think that it definitely wont hurt your chances if you send an update, but it will only help you if it's a meaningful one. if there haven't been substantial changes/progress since your first one, sending an update just for the sake of doing it probably wouldnt be worth your time (or theirs)!