2020-2021 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the email. Rejected, reapplicant. 3.4 SMP gpa/501. Congrats to those who get the call, best of luck. Gonna call in to see what happened.

They were nice enough to tell me, I did not clearly elucidate on how I fixed my grades after leaving Rotc. And a low C/P. Just gotta prepare better for that question in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Phnxrider didn’t you get accepted? What are your thoughts on the Reddit thread? I saw you liked it which is why I ask.

It was also concerning to me as well when I first read that. I’m interested to see what the current students thoughts are on that reddit post.

Does this freak anyone else out?

Hey so, I'm an accepted student here right. And I chose this school over 6 other acceptances including DMU. I have spoken extensively to other students who go to this school and if you turn to the first page of this SDN thread, you'll see Nave and Gem (the OG author) arguing about this again and you'll see Gem get his mouth shut down. Lemme go over this really quickly.

1. No. This is not true. Pertinently false. Montana didn't want the medical school but not for any dubious reasons. Just normal politics. And it's easily Google-able, so just ask administration or Google it yourself.

2. No. Again. Almost all DO schools require you to set up your own residency through an audition rotation which, essentially means you need to prove your worth not just ride the coattails of your medical school. As for Idaho, yeah a lot is further from the Boise area but the MO rotation no longer exists, the NY and MS rotations are only for those who have family from the area and the remainder are in the 5 state region. Idaho is expansive and mostly mountains and desert. No wonder there are 150 miles between each city. Gem, again, is finding truths in his blatant falsehoods.

3. No, this is also nothing he can prove by just saying "do the math." We won't know if there are issues until next year when students go into residency. It seems so far that ICOM will have no issues according to students I've spoken to. And if there are, none of us will have issues and it'll be figured out before we get there.

4. Almost all DO schools have higher seat deposits. Because MD-only candidates will use DO's as backups and it stops them from accepting multiple DO A's. On top of this, ICOM is going non-profit as soon as they attain accreditation. It's tough to pay professors if you're not making any money and have no government help.

5. I have NO idea where he is getting this from. I can attach the info letter from ICOM which shows that the clerkships and rotations all love their ICOM students. ICOM is well established in the community and is incredibly beneficial - working with ballets and non-profits. Again, a huge, blatant lie.

I don't know why Gem has a vendetta, but he posts this every year on this thread or Reddit. Do not believe everything you read y'all.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It was also concerning to me as well when I first read that. I’m interested to see what the current students thoughts are on that reddit post.
See my post, also go to the first page of this thread. They already talked about it. Gem posts this every year. You can look at last year's thread too. They have a vendetta.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! Current first year student at ICOM here. Thought I would just check in on you all and see how we're doing. (might have something to do with me procrastinating studying for our BIIC midterm tomorrow, who knows)

Let's just start with what Gem says. First of all, you guys are smart kiddos for trying to get into Medical school. Doing a little bit of research you will be able to see this for yourself Gem posts that same crap EVERY SINGLE YEAR ON BOTH SDN AND REDDIT. Just forget about that guy. None of what he says is true. The students here, faculty, and administration have no clue why this person has a vendetta against ICOM. It truly makes no sense. Personally, I think they must've had some bad personal experience with the school and since then, they have made it their personal mission in life to throw whatever shade on the school they possibly can. At this point, I just find it comical. It's legit, just a copy and paste each and every single year of the same thing, word-for-word. Lets address each one of their pitiful points here.

1. Terrible, transparent start. Yeah okay dude. The school didnt happen in Montana purely due to political reasons. As a current ICOM student, what they say about the IMA is just false. I get an email from the IMA EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR BEING A STUDENT AT ICOM. Clearly they hate us so much, that they continue to fill my inbox with helpful information week in and week out. Makes sense.

2. Clerkship/rotation. This is just plain funny. Clerkship Rotations are done in the 3rd/4th years of medical school. There isnt a single 3rd year medical student right now from ICOM that doesn't have a rotation.......we don't have that problem. Sure you may get sent to some place you dont want to go to, but that is part of the adventure of medicine; its not about you, but the people you serve. We have rotation sites set up all over the place in the 5 state region, Mississippi and NY. While it is somewhat true that if you are from the state that we have a rotation site in, you will get sent there, this is not a fact. You could be from CA, but be prepared to get sent to NY or MS if that was what happens in the lottery system. Oh and the thing about St. Luke's and St. Alphonsus, hahaha im dead. This is too funny. Do y'all follow the ICOM instagram page? You should. Go check out the post that was from August 17th of this year. It is a 3rd year medical student STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ST. ALPHONSUS HOSPITAL DURING HIS ROTATION. Like, honestly guys, just look it up. Gem clearly does not fact check.

3. Medical residency in Idaho. This guy is just nuts right here. Go check out Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program This is the most up to date and current Residency Match data out there. Its anything and everything from the Match of 2020 that happens in March. Click on the simple 17 page document that is listed as #2 on the bulleted list. Things to know here, there are ONLY 2 RESIDENCY PROGRAMS in the state of Idaho. One for Internal Medicine, and the other is Family Medicine. If you are wanting to go into something else, you of course have to go elsewhere. ICOM knows this. There are not residency programs currently in the state of Idaho for anything else. Wanna do general surgery? great, youll have to go to another state. But here is the kicker, home-boy Gem says that you will not get a spot residency spot in Idaho cause there "too many competitive applicants from U of W." Okay dude, if it was so hard to get into, and so many people were applying, why didnt they fill all of their spots? Yes, you read that right. NOT ALL OF THE RESIDENCY SPOTS IN IDAHO ARE EVEN FILLED EACH YEAR. So with this person saying that you will not get a residency in Idaho is just false. They dont fill those spots each year. Just look at the data and stay off of BS from Reddit.

4. Predatory admissions process. Give me a break dude. Almost every single other program out there has a high deposit. It helps the schools really count on who is going to come the following year and who is not. Go check it out. Depending on the school, and program (MD or DO), they all have somewhat ridiculous costs for a deposit. This is nothing new, and there is nothing predatory about it. "They will interview you and accept you long before you'll even hear back from any MD or DO program" HAHAHAHA okay, uhm, just gonna throw this out there. I interviewed for this school in APRIL 2020. Long AFTER i had heard back from all the MD programs i had applied to, and i CHOSE to come to ICOM. So uhm, yeah this whole point in their argument is BS.

5. The community does NOT accept ICOM or its students....................ahh yes we are such vile creatures that I dont get any student discounts anywhere. When i walk into the grocery store with my ICOM mask on, everyone does a sudden 180 and spits in my general direction..........happens every time. Considered to be such scum that people have often come up to ask me how they can get involved in our school and help us out with anything we need. Yes, we are such terrible humans that are ostracized by the community that bangs on our school doors each morning pleading with us to leave them and move far, far away. (Please note that this whole statement is dripping in sarcasm). Boise/Meridian loves us. Just know that.

"I post this not to attack anyone considering ICOM, but to hopefully save them from a horrible school that does not care about them. Dislike me if you want, but this is the truth"
- come on guys. Like, just do a little research and know that this person has a vendetta against ICOM for unknown reasons and shouldn't be counted on for anything. I hopefully have shown through plenty of easy fact-checking that each one of their points is false.

On a separate note, as a first year at ICOM, i LOVE helping out pre-meds and answering questions when i can. We are about to hit our thanksgiving break and I will have almost a week of nothing to do but answer your questions. Several months back I even set up a zoom-like call along with another OMS-I to answer several of your questions. I might be able to do something like that again over Christmas break. You can always send me a message on here or ask another current ICOM student for the truth about any questions you have. My only plea, is that you dont listen to a thing that Gem person has to say. Its all BS.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi all! Current first year student at ICOM here. Thought I would just check in on you all and see how we're doing. (might have something to do with me procrastinating studying for our BIIC midterm tomorrow, who knows)

Let's just start with what Gem says. First of all, you guys are smart kiddos for trying to get into Medical school. Doing a little bit of research you will be able to see this for yourself Gem posts that same crap EVERY SINGLE YEAR ON BOTH SDN AND REDDIT. Just forget about that guy. None of what he says is true. The students here, faculty, and administration have no clue why this person has a vendetta against ICOM. It truly makes no sense. Personally, I think they must've had some bad personal experience with the school and since then, they have made it their personal mission in life to throw whatever shade on the school they possibly can. At this point, I just find it comical. It's legit, just a copy and paste each and every single year of the same thing, word-for-word. Lets address each one of their pitiful points here.

1. Terrible, transparent start. Yeah okay dude. The school didnt happen in Montana purely due to political reasons. As a current ICOM student, what they say about the IMA is just false. I get an email from the IMA EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR BEING A STUDENT AT ICOM. Clearly they hate us so much, that they continue to fill my inbox with helpful information week in and week out. Makes sense.

2. Clerkship/rotation. This is just plain funny. Clerkship Rotations are done in the 3rd/4th years of medical school. There isnt a single 3rd year medical student right now from ICOM that doesn't have a rotation.......we don't have that problem. Sure you may get sent to some place you dont want to go to, but that is part of the adventure of medicine; its not about you, but the people you serve. We have rotation sites set up all over the place in the 5 state region, Mississippi and NY. While it is somewhat true that if you are from the state that we have a rotation site in, you will get sent there, this is not a fact. You could be from CA, but be prepared to get sent to NY or MS if that was what happens in the lottery system. Oh and the thing about St. Luke's and St. Alphonsus, hahaha im dead. This is too funny. Do y'all follow the ICOM instagram page? You should. Go check out the post that was from August 17th of this year. It is a 3rd year medical student STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ST. ALPHONSUS HOSPITAL DURING HIS ROTATION. Like, honestly guys, just look it up. Gem clearly does not fact check.

3. Medical residency in Idaho. This guy is just nuts right here. Go check out Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program This is the most up to date and current Residency Match data out there. Its anything and everything from the Match of 2020 that happens in March. Click on the simple 17 page document that is listed as #2 on the bulleted list. Things to know here, there are ONLY 2 RESIDENCY PROGRAMS in the state of Idaho. One for Internal Medicine, and the other is Family Medicine. If you are wanting to go into something else, you of course have to go elsewhere. ICOM knows this. There are not residency programs currently in the state of Idaho for anything else. Wanna do general surgery? great, youll have to go to another state. But here is the kicker, home-boy Gem says that you will not get a spot residency spot in Idaho cause there "too many competitive applicants from U of W." Okay dude, if it was so hard to get into, and so many people were applying, why didnt they fill all of their spots? Yes, you read that right. NOT ALL OF THE RESIDENCY SPOTS IN IDAHO ARE EVEN FILLED EACH YEAR. So with this person saying that you will not get a residency in Idaho is just false. They dont fill those spots each year. Just look at the data and stay off of BS from Reddit.

4. Predatory admissions process. Give me a break dude. Almost every single other program out there has a high deposit. It helps the schools really count on who is going to come the following year and who is not. Go check it out. Depending on the school, and program (MD or DO), they all have somewhat ridiculous costs for a deposit. This is nothing new, and there is nothing predatory about it. "They will interview you and accept you long before you'll even hear back from any MD or DO program" HAHAHAHA okay, uhm, just gonna throw this out there. I interviewed for this school in APRIL 2020. Long AFTER i had heard back from all the MD programs i had applied to, and i CHOSE to come to ICOM. So uhm, yeah this whole point in their argument is BS.

5. The community does NOT accept ICOM or its students....................ahh yes we are such vile creatures that I dont get any student discounts anywhere. When i walk into the grocery store with my ICOM mask on, everyone does a sudden 180 and spits in my general direction..........happens every time. Considered to be such scum that people have often come up to ask me how they can get involved in our school and help us out with anything we need. Yes, we are such terrible humans that are ostracized by the community that bangs on our school doors each morning pleading with us to leave them and move far, far away. (Please note that this whole statement is dripping in sarcasm). Boise/Meridian loves us. Just know that.

"I post this not to attack anyone considering ICOM, but to hopefully save them from a horrible school that does not care about them. Dislike me if you want, but this is the truth"
- come on guys. Like, just do a little research and know that this person has a vendetta against ICOM for unknown reasons and shouldn't be counted on for anything. I hopefully have shown through plenty of easy fact-checking that each one of their points is false.

On a separate note, as a first year at ICOM, i LOVE helping out pre-meds and answering questions when i can. We are about to hit our thanksgiving break and I will have almost a week of nothing to do but answer your questions. Several months back I even set up a zoom-like call along with another OMS-I to answer several of your questions. I might be able to do something like that again over Christmas break. You can always send me a message on here or ask another current ICOM student for the truth about any questions you have. My only plea, is that you dont listen to a thing that Gem person has to say. Its all BS.

You are my spirit animal. Thank you, can't wait to meet my classmates next year!!

• Care

wow thank you so much for clarifying all this and being just so open and kind. I'm interviewing here in January and have such a positive view of the school and sweet people like you just contribute more to my love of the school.

Reactions: 1 users
I deleted that post. I stayed up LATE last night reading and digging around. ICOM has been my #1 for a long time now and reading his thread really freaked me out.

I honestly don’t know what his issue is with ICOM. He must have been rejected or something. All I know is that the posts above also helped clarify and this school is amazing! Hoping for an A here in a couple weeks.

Just got the email. Rejected, reapplicant. 3.4 SMP gpa/501. Congrats to those who get the call, best of luck. Gonna call in to see what happened.

They were nice enough to tell me, I did not clearly elucidate on how I fixed my grades after leaving Rotc. And a low C/P. Just gotta prepare better for that question in the future.
Sorry to hear that but good luck on the rest of your cycle! Was C/P your lowest score?

I deleted that post. I stayed up LATE last night reading and digging around. ICOM has been my #1 for a long time now and reading his thread really freaked me out.

I honestly don’t know what his issue is with ICOM. He must have been rejected or something. All I know is that the posts above also helped clarify and this school is amazing! Hoping for an A here in a couple weeks.

ICOM is phenomenal. I've heard very very little to disinterest me from it and like I said, I chose ICOM over 6 other schools.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
ICOM is phenomenal. I've heard very very little to disinterest me from it and like I said, I chose ICOM over 6 other schools.
As you should have. Seriously every interaction I’ve had has been incredible. I’ve met several faculty members too and I’m extremely excited! Hopefully we are classmates, voppp!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think everyone who applied here had at least a light scare after reading gems post but all we can do is trust our gut (and the actual students 😂). I personally am very excited about ICOM and can’t wait to meet everyone next year!

I think everyone who applied here had at least a light scare after reading gems post but all we can do is trust our gut (and the actual students 😂). I personally am very excited about ICOM and can’t wait to meet everyone next year!
Gem had posted this initially on the thread back in May and several students shut him down. There’s no basis or foundation to it.

Gem had posted this initially on the thread back in May and several students shut him down. There’s no basis or foundation to it.
True. Looking back I’m actually just laughing. He’s got some issues it appears.

Just withdrew my interview here. Good luck everyone and I hope one of y'all gets it!

A caveat: They seem to be very receptive to emails. If you're very excited about this school, emailing them and asking for updates if a few weeks go by without being scheduled has been very successful for others in this thread. I actually was only able to schedule after I emailed. I have no idea whether they are trying to gauge interest or not, YMMV.

My secondaries were 2,100 and 1,700 characters respectively. I wouldn't worry very much about characters though :)
What is the polite way to ask for an update on your application? I submitted my secondary mid-September, 507 MCAT, 3.8 postbacc GPA (basically a second bachelor's in terms of units). I was very enthusiastic about the school in my essays and have been engaged with the various events/talks they've hosted the last 2 months. I understand they've got a lot of apps to process and I don't want to be impatient/annoying but if they're receptive to inquiries just wondering if it's best to just (respectfully) ask direct and to the point?

What is the polite way to ask for an update on your application? I submitted my secondary mid-September, 507 MCAT, 3.8 postbacc GPA (basically a second bachelor's in terms of units). I was very enthusiastic about the school in my essays and have been engaged with the various events/talks they've hosted the last 2 months. I understand they've got a lot of apps to process and I don't want to be impatient/annoying but if they're receptive to inquiries just wondering if it's best to just (respectfully) ask direct and to the point?

Yeah I struggled with this too and avoided it for awhile. Just be professional and ask for an update, worst case they’ll say you’re still under review :) they’re super friendly and won’t dock your chances at all for reaching out!

Yeah I struggled with this too and avoided it for awhile. Just be professional and ask for an update, worst case they’ll say you’re still under review :) they’re super friendly and won’t dock your chances at all for reaching out!

Should I reach out to admissions@ or Ellie? I only mention Ellie since I already have a rapport with her. Also, thanks for the prompt reply!

I don’t recommend doing mock interviews

I’d actually recommend doing them but don’t overdo it. I think my mock interviews helped me a lot since I’m just not good with interviews in general.

I’d actually recommend doing them but don’t overdo it. I think my mock interviews helped me a lot since I’m just not good with interviews in general.
I mean. The only interview I did a mock for, I got post-II rejected. The others I worked off of just pure excitement and did my best to sound genuine. Of the 9 I went to I got 7 As.

• Love
What made you choose ICOM over PNWU?
It was a really tough decision choosing between a newer school with less established relationships for clinicals and probably a few more kinks in the curriculum over a well known and established school. The lack of government aid is a huge negative as well. However, the vibe I got from ICOM during the interview was much better than what I got in my PNWU interview. On top of that, Boise is much more of a community that fits what I’m looking for (I’m pretty into the outdoors). Even more, things I’ve heard from students of both schools seem to push me more towards ICOM. No doubt both schools are probably great, and it’s a very personal decision. My pre-med advisor actually favors PNWU, but hey, he’s not the one going to med school 😉. I’ve been to Yakima and it’s a nice school with a very laid back vibe- but I’m looking more for a school that will push me professionally (stoked about the dual degree at icom), has great outdoor access, and also has a fun and exciting vibe. :)

• Care
I mean. The only interview I did a mock for, I got post-II rejected. The others I worked off of just pure excitement and did my best to sound genuine. Of the 9 I went to I got 7 As.
What would you recommend how I prepare for an ICOM interview if you don't recommend mock?

What would you recommend how I prepare for an ICOM interview if you don't recommend mock?
I would recommend going over some common questions asked during interviews and just practicing your responses out loud to yourself. Don’t memorize your answers, but it’s good to refresh yourself on what you want to get across to the interviewers.

Being honest? Don’t prep answers. Know the school forwards and back. I went into maybe 3 interviews with minimal understanding of the schools and had to talk out my butt. With ICOM I’ve been gunning for the school since it was built. I knew the website like the back of my hand and attended as many info sessions as I could. With ICOM then, my secondaries were ranting and raving about the school and Idaho (I have connections). In my interview I never got asked “why ICOM” I got asked some questions about “if I knew what I was sacrificing” and etc.

For these schools and all your interviews - don’t prep answers. Know your application, know what’s on it, know your mistakes, missteps, and difficulties. If you do, most questions will come easy. If you go in with prefab answers you’re going to lose your head if you get asked something you didn’t prep for.

I know not everyone’s like me but I think I might have some amount of success in this.

• Love
WL here in early October. I appreciate the transparency and efficiency of ICOM. Staff here are nice and genuine, make me feel excited to attend this program. Before I apply here I read those negative comments in Reddit and SDN, I choose to ignore them bc I like this school too much. Thank Voppp and Mr. T to Dr. T for your clarifications on gem's post. If you like this school, attend the program here. Don't listen to haters, they'll always hate!

There's a doctor talked about residency interviews on Youtube. He said that interview was the first date with a school, and if the first date is awful, how can you imagine you are there for following years? I love the first date with ICOM, hopefully they can rank me higher on the waitlist as well :)

• Care
For those who were accepted a while ago, have you gotten your ICOM banner that they mail out and if so how long did it take to get it. I think it's super cute and I can't wait to get mine haha

For those who were accepted a while ago, have you gotten your ICOM banner that they mail out and if so how long did it take to get it. I think it's super cute and I can't wait to get mine haha
Yes! I got it probably a week after I put the deposit in.

Just withdrew my interview for Mid-Dec. If anyone wants to interview earlier, its up for grabs. Good luck to everyone still Interviewing =)

Just a heads up, it looks like the Class of 2025 Facebook Page is up on Facebook!

hi friends, declining my interview so there is a slot available for 1/26 ! good luck :)

just watched the virtual 360 tour for the 4th time, getting very excited about my interview coming up within the next couple weeks :)

Does anyone know if there is an accepted student portal on the ICOM website?

Last edited:
Why do I feel as if my interview didn't go as well as I hoped. One of my faculty interviewers was very stern and lackluster to every answer I had. Really made my nerves go over the cliff. Hopefully Friday has good news for us who interviewed this week.

Why do I feel as if my interview didn't go as well as I hoped. One of my faculty interviewers was very stern and lackluster to every answer I had. Really made my nerves go over the cliff. Hopefully Friday has good news for us who interviewed this week.
You never know. For my interview, one of my interviewers was super chill and the other one seemed very stern as well. As long as you answered the questions being asked and they could feel you were genuine and enthusiastic about OMM and ICOM you will be good :)

• Care
Guys if you are accepted, is it through email or is through phone call? I tried looking back several pages but I couldnt seem to find the answer.

Also, is it a good idea to send a follow up email about the interview or should I just leave it?

Guys if you are accepted, is it through email or is through phone call? I tried looking back several pages but I couldnt seem to find the answer.
phone call first and then an email after. I got the call on Friday 11:30 PST

Also, is it a good idea to send a follow up email about the interview or should I just leave it?
I sent a thank you to my interviewers. I think it went really well after that. Like, one interviewer and I had a good back and forth.

I wouldn’t worry. My interview was bad bad. Like. My internet cut out and I rambled thru everything.

• Care
You never know. For my interview, one of my interviewers was super chill and the other one seemed very stern as well. As long as you answered the questions being asked and they could feel you were genuine and enthusiastic about OMM and ICOM you will be good :)
Thanks for the input. I hope so and I know I answered everything genuinely. Just hoping I meshed with them haha