2021-2022 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news about when the match list will be released?
I'm assuming the match list will be released this Monday but I'm not sure. We had some pretty good match results for a new school. Some notable matches in dermatology, orthopedic surgery, Interventional radiology, general surgery, psychiatry and anesthesiology. The bulk were of course primary care specialty matches though.

Members don't see this ad.

When do you think people will start being pulled off the waitlist?
They'll start pulling people off the waitlist from now, up until 2 weeks before orientation. There is still a long way to go. Interviews are pretty much over at this point though (I think March 30th is the last date but not 100%) It just depends on how fast seats become available now. Being on the high tier waitlist is definitely a good place to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Could anyone clarify how accreditation/federal loan eligibility will work now that they’ve matched a class? I’m guessing it will take a few years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone clarify how accreditation/federal loan eligibility will work now that they’ve matched a class? I’m guessing it will take a few years?
It will take around a year for them to get eligible for federal loans. So ideally next year is when everyone can take out loans

Reactions: 1 users
They'll start pulling people off the waitlist from now, up until 2 weeks before orientation. There is still a long way to go. Interviews are pretty much over at this point though (I think March 30th is the last date but not 100%) It just depends on how fast seats become available now. Being on the high tier waitlist is definitely a good place to be.
That’s strange because theyre accepting secondaries until April 15th

That’s strange because theyre accepting secondaries until April 15th
Yes, you're right! They'll be extending interviews through out April as well this year. That's my mistake. Just went back and looked at last year's thread. It also looks like waitlist movement really picked up around May.

The school should be fully accredited by this summer. The application for Title IV Federal loan eligibility will take approximately 6-12 months to be approved according to their website. The earliest we could expect to apply for Federal student loans would be spring 2023.

The school should be fully accredited by this summer. The application for Title IV Federal loan eligibility will take approximately 6-12 months to be approved according to their website. The earliest we could expect to apply for Federal student loans would be spring 2023.

Do we think there’s any chance that they would choose not to apply for federal loan eligibility? I feel like I’m just assuming that’s what they’ll do but don’t actually know

Do we think there’s any chance that they would choose not to apply for federal loan eligibility? I feel like I’m just assuming that’s what they’ll do but don’t actually know
The school has assured us that they will be applying for federal student loan eligibility as soon as the gain full accreditation from COCA. They know that a lot of students would prefer government loans over the current private loans we're currently taking out.

Hey people who have already interviewed, what was the first hour of the day? is it something I could have my camera off for? I have a dumb quiz during that time and my class doesnt count this as an excused absence. Let me know your thoughts

The first hour is mostly an introduction to ICOM, but I would say that it would look odd if you have your camera off.

just gave up my interview slot for March 30th! hopefully it goes to one of y’all! good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to give up my acceptance, just sent the email. Good luck everyone! Rooting for y’all

Reactions: 2 users
I have got guaranteed admission waitlist email and they asked me to pay for deposit until this Friday.
Has anyone heard about something like this?
When I was accepted last year, they had you pay $1500 deposit to hold your seat which is common. It went to your tuition though so you “get it back” when you get your loan money from the school when it’s disbursed on the first week of class.

Does anyone know what fitness facility/facilities ICOM allows their students to use since they do not have their own? Is there a gym at another campus to use? Is it free?

Does anyone know what fitness facility/facilities ICOM allows their students to use since they do not have their own? Is there a gym at another campus to use? Is it free?
Hey! We dont have an associated gym, but many people go to the Axiom‘s here in Boise. We get a pretty good discount there. I personally go to Planet Fitness and to the Vertical View, the climbing gym across the street. I think it’s something folks talked about, but there’s enough around Boise that you shouldn’t have an issue. Plus you’re in the mountains so there’s plenty of outdoor sports.

I just found out ICOM does not have full accreditation from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA).
Did you guys know this?

I understand. I was simply explaining why they were not accredited yet-which you seemed to be surprised about.
I want to decide between ICOM and another school; that's why this matters to me a lot. If I just had ICOM, I would definitely go for it, but this made me hesitate.

I want to decide between ICOM and another school; that's why this matters to me a lot. If I just had ICOM, I would definitely go for it, but this made me hesitate.
If you look at other new DO schools you'll see that accreditation came immediately after graduation of the first class. UIWSOM for example were granted accreditation last May after their inaugural class graduated. If ICOM isn't accredited by this summer I would definitely consider going elsewhere. COCA has indicated that ICOM is in good pre-accreditation standing so far. There is no reason to believe that it won't be accredited.. but I guess we'll see in May.

Just finished up interview day, heres some notes for those still waiting (or confused).
123 people were pulled off the waitlist last cycle. there are still "acceptances" but these seats aren't available yet so youre technically the first one to get a seat.
waitlist rank already happened so all interviewers will know rank right away.
They are still waiting accreditation so that means no fafsa. If accredited in May they believe it will take 9-12 months before fafsa is available for students (aka if you enter this cycle youll have private loans)
If pulled off the waitlist, up until may 14th, youll get 14 days to decide. After that then its 24 hours to decide (and put down deposit).
Wouldnt say a match rate but assuming the class of 2022 is 162 people, they said on the website 145 matched.

Accepted off the highest tier waitlist today! Waitlisted 1/28. Good luck to everyone else on the WL!!

Reactions: 3 users
As a current student, I can tell you our admin are from highly regarded schools (I.e. our dean has held positions at RVU, UIWSOM, and MSUCOM) and they're all very certain we'll receive accreditation this summer or coming fall. As is, there's nothing to differentiate us from any other school and our pass rates have been stellar. Our accreditation status, or lack thereof, has had 0 impact on rotations or match. Our 4th years matched into highly competitive specialities. Don't let that dissuade you. I guarantee you won't find a better set of admin or professors. Our new dean of students has been one of the best professors before his appointment and made special considerations and truly listens to our students regarding curricular changes.

DM me for more info if you need more convincing. LECOM has nothing on us.

Edit: I should also note I chose this school over 5 other accredited schools.

Just finished up interview day, heres some notes for those still waiting (or confused).
123 people were pulled off the waitlist last cycle. there are still "acceptances" but these seats aren't available yet so youre technically the first one to get a seat.
They are still waiting accreditation so that means no fafsa. If accredited in May they believe it will take 9-12 months before fafsa is available for students (aka if you enter this cycle youll have private loans)
If pulled off the waitlist, up until may 14th, youll get 14 days to decide. After that then its 24 hours to decide (and put down deposit).
Wouldnt say a match rate but assuming the class of 2022 is 162 people, they said on the website 145 matched.
Fyi, 162 is the total class, there is dropout from that total. For instance, our first years have so far lost around 10 students around 5 students. Which is only natural.

See other edit below.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Thank you for the great information. I hope you get into your top choice. I couldn't find the matching list and match rate on their website. They might be working on it to update. So Based on this, their match rate is (145/162) %89.5.
9-12 months means people cannot apply for Federal loan first year but there is hope for next year.

Fyi, 162 is the total class, there is dropout from that total. For instance, our first years have so far lost around 10 students. Which is only natural.
I see you love ICOM and I had a great interaction with students and faculty on the interview day but 10 out 162 dropouts are not normal! the national dropout rate for Osteopathic Medical schools is 2.63 with the highest at 3.59 percent (reference from AACOMAS website).
10/165 is 6 percent which is a lot!!!!
Reference link: AACOM Releases New Reports on Student Debt, Attrition Rates, Applicant Trends, and More.
Quote: "Overall, the attrition rate for all colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs) ranged from a low of 2.63 percent (2009-10) to a high of 3.59 percent (2012-13), with an average of 3.03 percent attrition rate from 2009-10 through 2018-19."

I see you love ICOM and I had a great interaction with students and faculty on the interview day but 10 out 162 dropouts are not normal! the national dropout rate for Osteopathic Medical schools is 2.63 with the highest at 3.59 percent (reference from AACOMAS website).
Reference link: AACOM Releases New Reports on Student Debt, Attrition Rates, Applicant Trends, and More.
Quote: "Overall, the attrition rate for all colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs) ranged from a low of 2.63 percent (2009-10) to a high of 3.59 percent (2012-13), with an average of 3.03 percent attrition rate from 2009-10 through 2018-19."
10 is definitely pretty high. 2 of those students dropped out the day after orientation. Not really the schools fault. One dropped out after the first week because he was pulled off the waitlist at another school. I don't know about the remaining 7 but I'm pretty sure a few of them didn't drop completely but are going to have to repeat first year due to failed remediation exams from the fall semester.

10 is a rough estimate. I think, like @TUWEST_509 said, there were a few that left because they felt medical school was not for them. Of the ones I know, they're redoing 1st year due to getting COVID or something else - not the school's inadequacy. In fact, that they were offered remediation of their first year is incredibly special. However, if the aspect of failing medical school is your one factor + the pending accreditation, then go to your other school. We're on track for accreditation and again, our 4th years matching is not known to us or others. I do not know the current number of classmates in 4th year or the number who matched.

Edit: I went and actually counted out the number of first years - its currently at 157, I.e. we've lost 5 students. I know, for certain, 2 are remediating and 3 left.

Keep in mind that overall summary statistics like this do not really tell the whole story since this is an overall average across the year to year enrollment, and first/third year trend higher as noted in the referenced link. From the report for 2014-2015 through 2018-2019 (i.e. the one I could find), the combined first year attrition rate averaged around 4.5% with a range from 0% to 16.7% (sample SD was 3.2%). So would 6% be bit above average? Yes, but not as significantly as you might think.

Keep in mind that overall summary statistics like this do not really tell the whole story since this is an overall average across the year to year enrollment, and first/third year trend higher as noted in the referenced link. From the report for 2014-2015 through 2018-2019 (i.e. the one I could find), the combined first year attrition rate averaged around 4.5% with a range from 0% to 16.7% (sample SD was 3.2%). So would 6% be bit above average? Yes, but not as significantly as you might think.
I misspoke anyways. We’ve lost 5 students but again, different circumstances. Regardless, match was great for the first time and we’re gonna be accredited soon. Icom is a great school.

Trust me this in no way was meant to dis ICOM! I think I would be a very happy student there. I just wanted to put the info out there I saw people were asking for in the discussions (and that I asked during interview day). My 145 came from ICOM first match day and that could even be inaccurate! and yes of course theres higher than expected dropouts due to a GLOBAL PANDEMIC!!!

On the ICOM class of 2026 Facebook group the admin said the match rate was 96%. I think the military matches weren’t included in the match day article

On the ICOM class of 2026 Facebook group the admin said the match rate was 96%. I think the military matches weren’t included in the match day article
They haven’t told us students yet, so take that with a grain of salt.

Has anyone on here been taken off of the medium WL group and if yes when did you get the A?

Has anyone on here been taken off of the medium WL group and if yes when did you get the A?
Tbh, you can come off the waitlist at a med school nearly up until the week before orientation.

For someone that’s high on the waitlist at ICOM, when should I start looking for places to live and applying for loans. I haven’t been through this process before so maybe if someone that was on a waitlist last year could offer some advice.

For someone that’s high on the waitlist at ICOM, when should I start looking for places to live and applying for loans. I haven’t been through this process before so maybe if someone that was on a waitlist last year could offer some advice.
Was pulled off the middle tier waitlist here last year. I wouldn't apply for student loans until after you get your acceptance. I would just focus on making sure your credit score is high enough to qualify for a loan or have a cosigner ready to go. As for housing, from my experience, single unit apartments usually get taken up pretty fast, but you'll have no problem finding 2 bedroom apartments really close to campus at any point throughout the summer. I ended up just getting a 2 bedroom and using the spare room for storage. Costs me an extra $250 a month compared to a studio apartment but overall I'm happy with the location.

Was pulled off the middle tier waitlist here last year. I wouldn't apply for student loans until after you get your acceptance. I would just focus on making sure your credit score is high enough to qualify for a loan or have a cosigner ready to go. As for housing, from my experience, single unit apartments usually get taken up pretty fast, but you'll have no problem finding 2 bedroom apartments really close to campus at any point throughout the summer. I ended up just getting a 2 bedroom and using the spare room for storage. Costs me an extra $250 a month compared to a studio apartment but overall I'm happy with the location.
Thanks!

Just as a followup, as a general rule apartments won't list more than two months out of move-in.

When we’re you pulled off the waitlist?