2020-2021 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does uic have internal rankings?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviews are done here right? Really wish they'd reject me already so I can email them for feedback lol

Reactions: 1 users
From AMCAS' website. CTE dates are set by individual schools. PTE should be narrowed down to 3 schools in April.
Screenshot (31).png

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait I want to be added to this group. I was accepted December 17th

What service did you use to mail your transcripts? My alma mater uses a third party now and I haven’t figured out how to get the transcripts sent to the med school address bc it’s not available via this third party 😩
The national student clearing house.

The national student clearing house.
And you sent it to the undergrad? How did you select the medical school? I’ve tried but didn’t get the choice to select the address they provided us on interview day

Dr Amiri told me UIC allows up to three PTE all the way up to CTE on July 1st. You would have to check with the other schools’ policies, though. I will be holding two PTE until I hopefully get re-assigned to the Chicago campus so I can attend UIC. Otherwise I will have to attend my other acceptance because I cannot relocate.
I could be wrong but I think you can only select one school, your "top" choice, as PTE. You can absolutely hold multiple acceptances though, just only one of them can be designated as your PTE. I totally forgot about UICOM's CTE deadline being July 1st. I think a lot if not most other schools (e.g. I can think of SIU off the top of my head) have much earlier deadlines of May 1st for dropping all but their acceptance, so just be careful.

I could be wrong but I think you can only select one school, your "top" choice, as PTE. You can absolutely hold multiple acceptances though, just only one of them can be designated as your PTE. I totally forgot about UICOM's CTE deadline being July 1st. I think a lot if not most other schools (e.g. I can think of SIU off the top of my head) have much earlier deadlines of May 1st for dropping all but their acceptance, so just be careful.

Yeah I could only pick one school to PTE and got really confused by the previous comments

Yeah I could only pick one school to PTE and got really confused by the previous comments
Sorry everyone! I just meant that I won’t drop my other acceptance. I will have PTE as UICOM and keep my other acceptance. Dr Armiri said in my email, “we allow up to three PTE” so that’s why I was confused, but on the choose your medical school tool, yes it’s only one.

Reactions: 1 user
As listed on here I think you get aid offers for the summer semester during the school year Cost | medicine

COM OSFA will send two Financial Aid Loan Offer Letter’s to students during their M1 year:

• Expect to receive an initial financial aid loan offer letter that will only cover the Fall and Spring semesters.
  • Expect to receive a separate financial aid loan offer letter for your summer semester. M1 students will receive it before the summer semester begins

Members don't see this ad :)
"Summer" semester at UIC goes from end of April to end of June, so you still get July and part of August for a summer break after your M1 year.
Wow so only like 6 weeks? Do students usually do summer projects or take vacation?

And you sent it to the undergrad? How did you select the medical school? I’ve tried but didn’t get the choice to select the address they provided us on interview day
So I first went into my undergraduate school’s websiste for transcripts then it took me to the national student clearing house when it came time to select a school to send it to I DID NOT pick UIC. I added a new recepient and then filled out the info like the email address of UICOM admissions.

I received my financial aid package (federal loans) in the UIC portal about 1.5 weeks ago. I did email the financial aid office at the end of February and ended up getting my UIN from Dr. Amiri. I was able to set up my Net ID from there. If you have been accepted and haven't received your financial aid and/or university identifier, I think it's reasonable that you reach out to admissions and financial aid offices to at least get a timeline.

Also, if you have a university log in, you also have a UIC gmail. I talked with some M3s and they didn't even realize they had a university email until orientation, but important information was sent to them over the summer. Sounds like you need to talk with other students and advocate for yourself to get things done sometimes
Did you have to get a token in order to set up your UIN?

Is it likely Illinois will give out more acceptances before April 30th?

• Hmm
where can i find the financial aid information? I got my UIN and portal access

where can i find the financial aid information? I got my UIN and portal access

After you login to myUIC on the left of the portal home if you scroll down a little there should be a tab that says like "Financial Aid"

Wow! What was it like?? Was it just you or several students? What kind of questions do they ask? I think umed seems to be more competitive than cmed.
It was good! Me and two current students. Very relaxed, just getting to know me and learn why I’m interested in the program.

So I first went into my undergraduate school’s websiste for transcripts then it took me to the national student clearing house when it came time to select a school to send it to I DID NOT pick UIC. I added a new recepient and then filled out the info like the email address of UICOM admissions.
You’re a hero

Do you think they sent out all UMED interviews at once, or will there be more coming out?

For anyone that is going to the chicago campus, how long is your commute going to be?
I'm not from the area, but I am looking at moving into an apartment in a nearby neighborhood. I talked to a current med student who tossed out some neighborhood names and they look like they're either walking distance or a ~10minute bus ride, I'm hoping to stay as close as possible to campus.

For anyone that is going to the chicago campus, how long is your commute going to be?
I'm looking into buying a house in the nearby suburbs, so I'm looking at around 25 minutes, 45 with traffic

I'm not from the area, but I am looking at moving into an apartment in a nearby neighborhood. I talked to a current med student who tossed out some neighborhood names and they look like they're either walking distance or a ~10minute bus ride, I'm hoping to stay as close as possible to campus.
Samzies

Which neighborhoods if you don't mind me asking?

30 mins without/50-60mins with traffic. Plan on moving to the city m3/m4 year because I don't want to commute after 12+hr rotations.

Which neighborhoods if you don't mind me asking?
The three that I’ve been looking at are Little Italy (to right of campus on a map), Tri-Taylor (left of campus), and Pilsen (south/southeast of campus). Little Italy and Tri-Taylor seem like walking distance (~10-15min) or a very short bus ride, Pilsen seems like its a bit far to walk when it gets cold out (~30min), but also seems like there's really easy bus access. Also, Pilsen seems to have more apartments in my price range. I guess you pay a little bit more to live easy walking distance to campus. I'm sure someone more familiar with the area can chime in, but that's what I've seen so far!

The three that I’ve been looking at are Little Italy (to right of campus on a map), Tri-Taylor (left of campus), and Pilsen (south/southeast of campus). Little Italy and Tri-Taylor seem like walking distance (~10-15min) or a very short bus ride, Pilsen seems like its a bit far to walk when it gets cold out (~30min), but also seems like there's really easy bus access. Also, Pilsen seems to have more apartments in my price range. I guess you pay a little bit more to live easy walking distance to campus. I'm sure someone more familiar with the area can chime in, but that's what I've seen so far!
Ill add to this list west town/wicker park which is ~2 miles straight north of campus. Fairly reasonable rent prices and easy and direct bike/bus to campus (15-20mins). There is also West Loop (20-30 min walk) if you are looking to live large.

does anyone have thoughts on roommates? whether they plan to live alone / how to find roommates as an OOS?

does anyone have thoughts on roommates? whether they plan to live alone / how to find roommates as an OOS?
I want to find a roommate to reduce rent cost!! Chicago is expensive asl lmao. I'm planning to chill until after second look next week though, I feel like we'll get more info then... and maybe we can make a campus specific group chat or something

Reactions: 5 users
I want to find a roommate to reduce rent cost!! Chicago is expensive asl lmao. I'm planning to chill until after second look next week though, I feel like we'll get more info then... and maybe we can make a campus specific group chat or something
If it helps I think I remember Dr. Amiri saying that the admins will split the Facebook page into campus groups soon

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone be willing to record and share tomorrow's financial aid Q&A? I will be at work, but would benefit from this session

For people that have already submitted a transcript, how long did it take after the admissions office marked your transcript as complete for the prerequisites box to be checked off on the portal?

For people that have already submitted a transcript, how long did it take after the admissions office marked your transcript as complete for the prerequisites box to be checked off on the portal?
Within 1 week

Does anyone have the correct link for the FA session? The one they sent me is not working.

Reactions: 4 users