2020-2021 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know of MS3/M4 experiences commuting to different rotations in Chicago? just want to make sure I don’t need to bring a car?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when Financial aid stuff comes out?👀
Have you tried logging into your portal (not the application portal, but the UIC one)? Mine was uploaded, and I never received notification. The financial aid office said there are still scholarships to be awarded though, so your aid could change!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried logging into your portal (not the application portal, but the UIC one)? Mine was uploaded, and I never received notification. The financial aid office said there are still scholarships to be awarded though, so your aid could change!

How to access that portal after receiving your UIC credentials?

Do we need to apply via a separate application process for scholarships, or are those given automatically? Also do we need to have selected PTE already to have received Financial Aid/Scholarship information?

Last edited:
Do we need to apply via a separate application process for scholarships, or are those given automatically?
Those are awarded based on merit and need I think. No separate application - just submit your FAFSA and they’ll decide if they want to award additional financial aid

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else not receive netid/login information yet?

Reactions: 4 users
Do we need to apply via a separate application process for scholarships, or are those given automatically? Also do we need to have selected PTE already to have received Financial Aid/Scholarship information?
Automatically awarded. I haven’t selected any schools for PTE yet but got my financial aid.

I clicked the financial aid tab and it says they have received my FAFSA and "displaying until 2021" but nothing after that. I'm assuming that means I didn't get any financial aid? Was it pretty obvious for those who did?

I clicked the financial aid tab and it says they have received my FAFSA and "displaying until 2021" but nothing after that. I'm assuming that means I didn't get any financial aid? Was it pretty obvious for those who did?
Honestly, it was kind of hard for me to find it. So go to the NetID website, log in, and under the "Student" tab you will see financial aid status menu. Click on it and accept whatever terms it says. I then clicked on "Financial Aid notification" and then 2021-2022 aid year. It should give you what loans you've been offered. This is my first time doing this so please correct me if I'm wrong

adding: my financial aid notification displays "out-of-state" even though I am in-state. I do think it's still correct because it adds up to the listed in-state fees. And it shows me on the left column about my site assignment. Is this what other people are seeing too?

So maybe I'm wrong about this but it looks like in state tuition is ~35,000 dollars including the required fees. That extra 20,000 or whatever with boarding and personal expenses/transportation is just for us to take care of, as in that's not for UIC Med right?

Members don't see this ad :)
So maybe I'm wrong about this but it looks like in state tuition is ~35,000 dollars including the required fees. That extra 20,000 or whatever with boarding and personal expenses/transportation is just for us to take care of, as in that's not for UIC Med right?
Yeah that isn't money that you owe the school, but it is factored into the amount they offer in terms of loans.

Reactions: 1 users

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure tuition is higher than that because of the summer semester they don't factor into that.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure tuition is higher than that because of the summer semester they don't factor into that.
Per the estimated cost of attendance for tuition and mandatory fees ONLY the in-state cost for M1 year is $51,582.

Edit: OOS is $84,759.

• Sad
Have any grants/scholarships gone out? Or is what I see on my FA notification currently final?

where can i find financial aid information?

If you've gotten your NetiD login email. Go to my.uic.edu, login and on the left there's a tab that says 'Financial Aid status menu.' Once there there should be an option for things like 'Financial Aid notification' which shows loans and one that says 'college financing' which includes scholarships.

If you've gotten your NetiD login email. Go to my.uic.edu, login and on the left there's a tab that says 'Financial Aid status menu.' Once there there should be an option for things like 'Financial Aid notification' which shows loans and one that says 'college financing' which includes scholarships.
How long after being accepted did you get your netid info?

I got accepted in November but I still haven’t gotten my UIN?
I was told that you get that information after you receive campus placement. But also, I got campus placement last week and still havnt heard yet

I received my financial aid package (federal loans) in the UIC portal about 1.5 weeks ago. I did email the financial aid office at the end of February and ended up getting my UIN from Dr. Amiri. I was able to set up my Net ID from there. If you have been accepted and haven't received your financial aid and/or university identifier, I think it's reasonable that you reach out to admissions and financial aid offices to at least get a timeline.

Also, if you have a university log in, you also have a UIC gmail. I talked with some M3s and they didn't even realize they had a university email until orientation, but important information was sent to them over the summer. Sounds like you need to talk with other students and advocate for yourself to get things done sometimes

Reactions: 2 users
Any current UIC Med students willing to discuss their experiences and answer questions via PM? Really trying to gain an honest perspective on y’all’s experiences.

I received my financial aid package (federal loans) in the UIC portal about 1.5 weeks ago. I did email the financial aid office at the end of February and ended up getting my UIN from Dr. Amiri. I was able to set up my Net ID from there. If you have been accepted and haven't received your financial aid and/or university identifier, I think it's reasonable that you reach out to admissions and financial aid offices to at least get a timeline.

Also, if you have a university log in, you also have a UIC gmail. I talked with some M3s and they didn't even realize they had a university email until orientation, but important information was sent to them over the summer. Sounds like you need to talk with other students and advocate for yourself to get things done sometimes

Does your portal show that your FAFSA is completed? My loans show up in the MyUIC thing but on my application portal it says my FAFSA is incomplete.

I was just offered an interview for the GMED program. Does anyone know what is covered in these interviews?

Also received an invite to interview for GMED. They emailed me.

Does your portal show that your FAFSA is completed? My loans show up in the MyUIC thing but on my application portal it says my FAFSA is incomplete.
It says my FAFSA requirement was satisfied as of October 28th on the myUIC portal. Not sure where to look on the application portal to see my FAFSA

I read on an email that they are sending scholarships out in Mid May. So I'm guessing you have to commit in order to know if you'll qualify for scholarships :3
Any chance do you know if we need to submit anything additional for that or do we auto-qualify when we enrol?

It says my FAFSA requirement was satisfied as of October 28th on the myUIC portal. Not sure where to look on the application portal to see my FAFSA
Under the Pre-Matriculation tab there's like checks on stuff you need to complete

After April 30th can we only hold one acceptance or do we have to narrow it down to three? Still waiting on a few things to fully commit to a school. I know the commit to enroll is binding, but that isn’t until July 1st.

After April 30th can we only hold one acceptance or do we have to narrow it down to three? Still waiting on a few things to fully commit to a school. I know the commit to enroll is binding, but that isn’t until July 1st.
PSA on the Choose Your Medical School Tool: "Plan to Enroll" vs "Commit to Enroll," Strategies, and Misconceptions : premed (reddit.com)

See section III in the linked post above. Sounds like you have to withdraw all but one acceptance after April 30th. However, you should not choose Commit to Enroll at that time if you still want to get off other waitlists or have any other doubts about matriculating.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!
Dr Amiri told me UIC allows up to three PTE all the way up to CTE on July 1st. You would have to check with the other schools’ policies, though. I will be holding two PTE until I hopefully get re-assigned to the Chicago campus so I can attend UIC. Otherwise I will have to attend my other acceptance because I cannot relocate.