2020-2021 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it too late to send update/interest letters to UICOM? I know I just missed the second look, but I have some really recent developments I'd like to share with them.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too late to send update/interest letters to UICOM? I know I just missed the second look, but I have some really recent developments I'd like to share with them.
admissions is meeting again tomorrow. If you can get it in tonight, I would definitely try. did you receive an A already? I thought second look was only for accepted students

admissions is meeting again tomorrow. If you can get it in tonight, I would definitely try. did you receive an A already? I thought second look was only for accepted students
No I thought the deferred decision reviews were also called second look my bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, random question! With regards to PTE for UIC, we don't need to do anything by tomorrow correct? And if so, does UIC know who has PTE'd or not by April 15th, or is that the April 30th deadline?

When will delayed decision folks find out a final decision? Been on that thing since October.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, random question! With regards to PTE for UIC, we don't need to do anything by tomorrow correct? And if so, does UIC know who has PTE'd or not by April 15th, or is that the April 30th deadline?
AAMC just sent out an email mentioning this, but:

"Medical schools will begin to see applicant-specific information about each applicant’s Choose Your Medical School status for any applicant holding a current acceptance or alternate list position at the respective school." The email says this is beginning April 30th.

From what I understand, deadline to PTE at UICOM is April 30th, and they won't know which individuals PTE until then. And then CTE is July 1st. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think AAMC traffic rules just suggest that you hold no more than 3A's after today (Apr 15th). Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any updates on the scholarly concentration programs? Last email I got from them regarding it was at the beginning of March that said they were reaching out to applicants mid-March for early-April interviews. Early April has come and gone and I've heard nothing since submitting.

Withdrawing my A. Got bad vibes from their GMED program, despite the acceptance. Good luck.

• Care
If you don’t mind, could you elaborate a little bit? Best of luck wherever you end up!
It seems like institutional support is lacking for the program, and it is not as robust as I initially thought it was. Global health is why I'm pursuing medicine, so I desired a program with a dynamite GH program, and I feel GMED is not quite what it is sold as.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any updates on the scholarly concentration programs? Last email I got from them regarding it was at the beginning of March that said they were reaching out to applicants mid-March for early-April interviews. Early April has come and gone and I've heard nothing since submitting.
I reached out and asked, they are still reviewing applications. Should hear back within a couple weeks

nothing today :( do they meet again next month, or is it pretty much only waitlist movement from here on out?

• Sad
  • Care
Members don't see this ad :)
nothing today :( do they meet again next month, or is it pretty much only waitlist movement from here on out?
Maybe you’ll hear something tomorrow! I was accepted on a Saturday.
The waitlist is created after 4/30. I don’t think they meet again, but I also don’t know how the waitlist works at this school. Anyone else have insight? Is it ranked or do they review everyone again?

Reactions: 1 users
just to be clear, we have until July 1st to CTE? so the CTE option *opens* on AMCAS on April 30th, but the deadline for UICOM is July 1st?

just to be clear, we have until July 1st to CTE? so the CTE option *opens* on AMCAS on April 30th, but the deadline for UICOM is July 1st?
Correct. You can only hold one acceptance after April 30th, but you can be on a waitlist. I think lol

At my UMED interview, they said we should hear back by end of April, but they weren't sure of an exact date.

did everyone from deferred decision get waitlist or did some get rejected? Also does anyone know the typical movement off the waitlist at this school?

Thank you!!!
I checked out last cycle’s thread and waitlist movement looked real quiet if not downright nonexistent 😞

• Sad
  • Hmm
I checked out last cycle’s thread and waitlist movement looked real quiet if not downright nonexistent 😞
I saw that as well :( though I do want to point out that last year ppl received their WL notifications in May which would be after the April 30th deadline. This year they told us right after the April 15th so hopefully we can get some movement this year :/ though I’m already preparing for a reapp

Dumb question here, but are we supposed to respond to the waitlist email? I know we're supposed to let them know if we're not interested anymore, but if we're still interested then just don't say anything? I was just wondering what the courtesy was. Should I respond with a "Thank you" or something to confirm I read and understand or just leave it and wait to hear back.

Ugh anyone else anxious that they don’t know their position on the waitlist?

Reactions: 4 users
Dumb question here, but are we supposed to respond to the waitlist email? I know we're supposed to let them know if we're not interested anymore, but if we're still interested then just don't say anything? I was just wondering what the courtesy was. Should I respond with a "Thank you" or something to confirm I read and understand or just leave it and wait to hear back.
I am also wondering about this as well

In my email it says "You will be advanced from delayed decision to our formal waitlist." Nothing needs to be done unless you'd like to be removed from the WL

Just got an email for a UMED finalist information session. Does anyone know how many students are selected as finalists?

Anyone have any updates regarding campus tours? They mentioned at second look that they were starting them but I haven't heard anything since lol. Is there a sign-up list somewhere?

Anyone have any updates regarding campus tours? They mentioned at second look that they were starting them but I haven't heard anything since lol. Is there a sign-up list somewhere?

They sent a link with sign ups awhile ago

Do a lot of people who want the Chicago campus not end up getting it here? What happens to people on the waitlists, do they get put in whatever is open or do they still have a shot at Chicago?

Someone during my interview said 80-90% of students choose Chicago as their #1 campus preference while the Chicago campus can only hold about 60% of the total students accepted.

Do a lot of people who want the Chicago campus not end up getting it here? What happens to people on the waitlists, do they get put in whatever is open or do they still have a shot at Chicago?
Check out the 2018-2019 SDN illinois forum: 2018-2019 University of Illinois
Although nobody posted getting off the WL last year, 2018-2019 had a lot of people coming off the WL. It looks like they take people off as spots open up at the respective campuses. They were also filling up the scholarly concentration programs.

its from their main email [email protected]. There's still a ton of openings (at least for the Chicago campus) so I would just email them asking for a link to sign up

Does anyone know what will happen if we do not narrow our choices down to 1 school, once it is April 30th?

You will automatically be withdrawn from every school by Admissions.
Had to fact check this because that sounded quite extreme. Maybe it's school specific, but I called the AAMC and they said narrowing down to one school by 4/30 is recommended but not required. Called a couple of the schools and they said they are more concerned with their CTE deadlines more than anything.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone heard anything about scholarships? At Second Look, I think Dean Amiri said they'd be going out until the end of the month, but that's very soon... wondering if they've already given all of the scholarships out :/

Reactions: 4 users
When is the last commit to enroll date

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships? At Second Look, I think Dean Amiri said they'd be going out until the end of the month, but that's very soon... wondering if they've already given all of the scholarships out :/
As PTE deadline is this week, I would imagine they have given out all their initial scholarship offerings at this point. There is still the chance that people turn them down and thus they offer them to other applicants. One can only hope lol