2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Mayo Clinic - Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question if anyone can answer: does Mayo only have ONE application on AMCAS? Then on secondaries, do we select which campus we prefer (or both)?

Does anyone know how strict Mayo is with their labs requirement? I will only have taken biochem and bio lab (instead of 2 bio labs) by June 15th and they told me it’s not enough? Really don’t wanna take 3 labs senior year lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how strict Mayo is with their labs requirement? I will only have taken biochem and bio lab (instead of 2 bio labs) by June 15th and they told me it’s not enough? Really don’t wanna take 3 labs senior year lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best way is to call! But I'd say an extra lab is worth it for Mayo!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question if anyone can answer: does Mayo only have ONE application on AMCAS? Then on secondaries, do we select which campus we prefer (or both)?
Last year they had 2 secondaries for the different campuses. I forgot if the campuses were listed two separately on the primary but since they had 2 secondaries, I assume they were listed separately on the primary as well. You have the option to select whether you want to do the 2+2 track on each app. However, all the essay questions and everything else as far as I can recall was the same.

Last year they had 2 secondaries for the different campuses. I forgot if the campuses were listed two separately on the primary but since they had 2 secondaries, I assume they were listed separately on the primary as well. You have the option to select whether you want to do the 2+2 track on each app. However, all the essay questions and everything else as far as I can recall was the same.
Thank you! I'm going to assume its just one primary application because that's all I've seen. But, I'll be on the lookout for the two secondaries :)

Can you submit the same responses to both schools? Or do you have to rewrite for both?

Can you submit the same responses to both schools? Or do you have to rewrite for both?
You can do whatever you want lol some people submit the same and others rewrite. They have separate admissions committees although I believe Dr. Fischer or someone else oversees both committees.

You can do whatever you want lol some people submit the same and others rewrite. They have separate admissions committees although I believe Dr. Fischer or someone else oversees both committees.
Copy thanks!

Could a current student or someone with experience explain what different things the two campuses look for if they have separate committees?

Dumb question but how do you pronounce Alix? Exact same as Alex?

Reactions: 1 users
Could a current student or someone with experience explain what different things the two campuses look for if they have separate committees?
That’s really hard to say considering everything is the same (they have the same website, same mission, same essay questions, etc.).

The only difference is the location so that could affect you via factors such as weather, proximity to family / friends, etc.

You could potentially look at the differences between specific research / departments but I think they don’t really like highlighting those because they’re trying to convey that the education is the same at all places and you’re allowed to do rotations at any of the Mayo campuses if one campus has something specific you want.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! I'm going to assume its just one primary application because that's all I've seen. But, I'll be on the lookout for the two secondaries :)
There should be two choice for primary.. please look again.
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - For MN
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Arizona Campus - For AZ

In secondary, you will choose if you are interested in 4 year or 2+2 (FL)

Members don't see this ad :)
There should be two choice for primary.. please look again.
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - For MN
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine - Arizona Campus - For AZ

In secondary, you will choose if you are interested in 4 year or 2+2 (FL)

This was true until last year, but it seems like AMCAS/Mayo updated it just so that only one school shows up in AMCAS (which aligns with how MSAR's been displaying it). Secondary submissions were previously separate but the prompts were the same for MN and AZ campuses (you only needed to pay for one campus as well), so my guess is that Mayo will only be sending one secondary to keep things simple and adding various campus options all in one form (plus optional secondary questions for each campus). This change makes sense, especially given how Mayo's been treating all of the campuses as one entity and graduates' diplomas simply saying Mayo Clinic instead of specific campus names. Similar to Case's Lerner College or Columbia's Bassett program.

Reactions: 5 users
Quick question: Is there like a waitlist for campus preference if you don't get into the one you desire? I know just getting into Mayo is an achievement and I would be grateful if I were accepted, but Im just curious since I truly despise hot weather lol

Do you guys think there is more or less demand for the 2+2 program?

Any Mayo students that can comment on what you can do with selectives while visiting other campuses? I would be interested in visiting jax campus since im from FL but im not actually overly interested in the 2+2.

Do any current students have insight on any of the following questions? Things that are lingering for me..

1. In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events? Did they change the lecture attendance policy?

2. Thoughts on the area around the school -- What is the city like? Do you have a lot of friends from outside the medical school? What are the major neighborhoods like and where do people live?

Have they sent prompts yet? And ask, will it be through the same secondary as Minnesota?

Do any current students have insight on any of the following questions? Things that are lingering for me..

1. In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events? Did they change the lecture attendance policy?

2. Thoughts on the area around the school -- What is the city like? Do you have a lot of friends from outside the medical school? What are the major neighborhoods like and where do people live?
Are you asking about MN or AZ?

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated. (500 words)
2. We are all differentiated from or connected to one another by individual inflections that constitute our diversity. Explain how your relationship with your own diversity and to the diversities of others manifests in your personal and professional activities. (500 words)
3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine. (500 words)
@TheDataKing

Last year, there was a secondary for each campus. Which campus is your secondary for?
There is a campus preference list on the portal, so it's for both (or rather all 4) choices

Hey! Are there any current students in the 2+2 program that can talk about the transition to Florida campus, and if there were any differences compared to other students within that first two years? thank you!

Srs questions. If our reason for having Arizona as our top track choice is because of weather (I'm also from a warm-climate area) and some family in the area is that fine if that's all we say? They seem to want to push forward that the campuses are basically the same. Likewise if we make the 2+2 program our second choice (I'm interested in health disparities) should we mention why too or just stick to the first choice's explanation like the question asked?

Srs questions. If our reason for having Arizona as our top track choice is because of weather (I'm also from a warm-climate area) and some family in the area is that fine if that's all we say? They seem to want to push forward that the campuses are basically the same. Likewise if we make the 2+2 program our second choice (I'm interested in health disparities) should we mention why too or just stick to the first choice's explanation like the question asked?
I think those are valid reasons; I used similar ones for my preference! I also just stuck to the first choice since that's all the question seems to want

Has anyone else realized how little information the school's website gives? I can't find specific service opportunities or campus-specific research faculty anywhere. This Why Us essay is getting tough

Do you not have reasons for why you are applying? It seems like finding stuff on their website should only supplement your personal reasons.

Hmm, I mean yes and no...? We're applying to medical schools because we want to be doctors. When searching for a medical school you ought to align the school's mission with your own pre-existing passion for medicine. You figure that out by doing research on the school and determining how its facilities/programs/methodologies would fit in with your own convictions for wanting to become a physician.

Reactions: 3 users
No, I understand that, but why are you applying specifically to Mayo?
Hmm, I mean yes and no...? We're applying to medical schools because we want to be doctors. When searching for a medical school you ought to align the school's mission with your own pre-existing passion for medicine. You figure that out by doing research on the school and determining how its facilities/programs/methodologies would fit in with your own convictions for wanting to become a physician.

Of course I have my personal/specific reasons for applying to Mayo. I'm just saying compared to the vast majority of other schools they really lack specific information on their websites regarding programs, organizations, and student initiatives to help tailor out and personalize.

Of course I have my personal/specific reasons for applying to Mayo. I'm just saying compared to the vast majority of other schools they really lack specific information on their websites regarding programs, organizations, and student initiatives to help tailor out and personalize.
I totally agreed with this. It was a lot more difficult than I expected. Most schools have pages for student life with additional pages about student orgs, etc., but theirs was very bare bones, basically just mentioning academic support/mentorship. There was also little to no information about community involvement -- even schools I applied to that don't focus on community engagement had at least some information. I could've even find a list of some selectives that people have done...

Reactions: 5 users
How are people interpreting the third prompt?.. This seems like an especially vague and ambiguous question.

Can anyone ranking AZ first share what they considered when making that choice? OR any current students care to share your opinions on the AZ experience or how you believe it differs? I falsely assumed we got to rank/choose after an A and am stumped on this one. There seems to be a bit of a bias against it for being new, but I'm certainly intrigued by the location (I love SW Az and enjoyed scottsdale when I visited too). Any thoughts on if it's somehow inferior to the MN program? I really have poured over everything I can find online and I'm still not sure!

I'm a bit confused as to why you're talking about "SW Az" as Scottsdale/the Mayo campus is in central AZ. You might be referring to the SW US, but just wanted to confirm that so you didn't mention SW AZ in an essay or something.

The AZ campus is definitely newer and a less established program, but it is definitely not prone to many of the same issues that other new programs have. It has great hospital affiliations, faculty, and students. I think the primary difference between the two programs is simply the location. AZ is NOT inferior.

Thanks for the response! I have seen a lot of comments suggesting residencies may look upon it differently than the MN location, even if not as poorly as other new schools, do you think that's true to some degree?

Yeah my bad, I was trying to reference that I REALLY like SW az and while I've spent less time in Scottsdale I did like it. But thanks for looking out :)

does mayo screen for secondaries??

also should I refer to the arizona campus as scottsdale or phoenix ?

does mayo screen for secondaries??

also should I refer to the arizona campus as scottsdale or phoenix ?
Mayo does screen for secondaries. You won't get one unless you are at the 75th percentile above with your overall MCAT score.

The AZ campus is in Scottsdale, but also does rotations throughout Phoenix (of which Scottsdale is in the metro area of). I'd refer to it as Scottsdale or AZ.

Does any one know when they might start sending out II's? Thank you! :)

• Hmm
Does any one know when they might start sending out II's? Thank you! :)
MSAR says that they didn't start reviewing applications until August 5th. Last year's II Tracker shows that some interviews had already been sent out by this time, but it is hard to say how closely this cycle will follow the last one because of transmission delays and COVID-19 complications.
1597415706814.png

How do people know if the 520/3.92 medians apply to the Mayo AZ campus also?

How do people know if the 520/3.92 medians apply to the Mayo AZ campus also?
Since it's one application for all of their locations, it really looks like they do not break out stats by campus.

Since it's one application for all of their locations, it really looks like they do not break out stats by campus.

Yeah makes me think the stats for the AZ campus would be a little bit lower.

Yeah makes me think the stats for the AZ campus would be a little bit lower.
Maybe, but it's hard to say, since the entire enrollment is so small. You rank tracks when you apply, and IIs are so difficult to score that I'd imagine people take whatever they are offered.

The $64,000 question is whether Mayo gives an II to a lower stat applicant who ranked AZ #1 over a higher stat one who ranked it #2? The answer to that would reveal whether AZ has lower stats than MN. Due to how small the enrollment is, and how prestigious Mayo is, I doubt it.

I have connections to the AZ campus and every student I talked to there was a 520+.

I also have a few connections at the AZ campus and some students I know had MCATs as low as a 508. I think that even though Mayo places an emphasis on stats, they also play a huge emphasis on extracurriculars, essays, secondary responses, and fit. So there is definitely hope for people with lower stats who want to go AZ or MN !

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users