2020-2021 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still could use interview tips y’all 😭
Hi I don’t know if you look through these posts already but I went ahead and copied what I wrote earlier on
Hope this helps

A faculty member will interview you on questions/situations that are similar to when you are in a traditional MMI. they do not have access to your file and will only talk with you about the questions.
advice:
only talk about the positives of your apps
do not talk about negatives
rely on your experiences to answer MMI style questions
i had paper and pen and brainstormed for about 1 minute. kinda awkward but its okay to ask for some time to think about the scenario
Major props on getting an interview! The school thinks you may be a good fit for the program! Know why you are choosing medicine, answer all the questions asked and smile!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Can we send an intent/interest letter post interview? Or, that counts as an update which they don’t take unless we are on the waitlist????
Don’t send a letter post interview unless your waitlisted. The decisions take time and apps aren’t reviewed in order. It took me two months to hear back not saying it will take you that long. But just be patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!! Except I'm kinda in denial?? I got the phone call from Dr. Maurer last night around 7pm but my interview was only 2/10 so I wasn't expecting anything (that's a 13 day turnaround :O ) Plus online said they wouldn't meet until 3/3?? And I don't have anything in writing (no update on portal or email) so I'm still in disbelief??

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
I GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!! Except I'm kinda in denial?? I got the phone call from Dr. Maurer last night around 7pm but my interview was only 2/10 so I wasn't expecting anything (that's a 13 day turnaround :O ) Plus online said they wouldn't meet until 3/3?? And I don't have anything in writing (no update on portal or email) so I'm still in disbelief??
Me too!! I interviewed 2/8 and was so shocked since it wasn't a decision day. Congratulations!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
What tips did they give you for this year? Or was it more so just building rapport? Congrats btw:)
Sorry for the late reply! Thank you so much!
In the meeting she basically told me that my application was all good, low stats and all, I just needed to improve on my confidence. Overall my interview was my downfall. Although at first it was disheartening to hear, I knew I had to take the feedback and do better this year. I took the past year to reflect and improve on self affirmations. I think that knowing I had a chance of getting in if it weren't for my interview helped me. This year I wasn't as nervous and just told my story which seems like it was enough. The best advice I could give to anyone interviewing is to remember they invited you for an interview, which means that they already like you. Now use the interview to shine and make them love you!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Me too!! I interviewed 2/8 and was so shocked since it wasn't a decision day. Congratulations!
Congratulations to you too!!!! Have you gotten any written information yet? I still don't see any update in my portal or an email and I'm getting nervous lol!

Has anyone else from 2/10 or that group of interview dates not heard back yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed, did you all send your thank you e-mails to admissions or to their individual e-mails? My student gave me her e-mail and I am able to find my faculty's online but before logging off my faculty interview, the lady in the waiting room streamlining everything told me to send them to admissions.

For those who interviewed, did you all send your thank you e-mails to admissions or to their individual e-mails? My student gave me her e-mail and I am able to find my faculty's online but before logging off my faculty interview, the lady in the waiting room streamlining everything told me to send them to admissions.
I sent one thank you email to the general admissions email address: [email protected]

they responded noting that they added the thank-you to my application (and I was accepted here btw)

Did not send thank you notes, was accepted.

Sent thank you notes and was accepted!

Yikes I sent mine to the individuals and now I'm nervous.
Same but you gotta remember that thank you letters can only help you (unless the school specifically says not to send them), sending them to individuals isn't going to hurt you in anyway. My interviewer was very appreciative and loved my letter and it gave her another reason to remember me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is tomorrow another BIG DAY?
yes but sometimes they call the night before (today). But also sometimes they call 1 week after the listed decision day. I literally just interviewed so I don't even know why the hell I'm standing by when people who interviewed a month before me haven't heard back loll

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone who applied to a certificate program know if you can hear a final decision for your MSUCHM application prior to hearing your decision for the certificate program? Or are they always given notification of at the same time?

Does anyone who applied to a certificate program know if you can hear a final decision for your MSUCHM application prior to hearing your decision for the certificate program? Or are they always given notification of at the same time?
From my understanding, you get accepted to MSU and then there’s a separate interview for the certificate programs. Speaking of which has LMU interviews begun?

• Love
They did the last one in February too.
Maybe they're delayed a week, because I've noticed they've been giving decisions on the alternate/in-between weeks that are scheduled on the website. Just speculation

Maybe they're delayed a week, because I've noticed they've been giving decisions on the alternate/in-between weeks that are scheduled on the website. Just speculation
I have noticed this too so this makes sense 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Does anyone know if people accepted from the waitlist can apply for scholarships?

Did you get off the WL?!
No, I received an acceptance and applied for financial aid and was wondering the chances of getting fin aid from MSUCHM if you're pulled from the waitlist in May, June, or July. I'm not expecting WL movement until after April 30th

Last edited:
Anyone who filled out a background check recently (within the last month), receive their official acceptance letter? My background check was complete 2/18 so wondering if I need to reach out to the school to ensure they received it.

Anyone who filled out a background check recently (within the last month), receive their official acceptance letter? My background check was complete 2/18 so wondering if I need to reach out to the school to ensure they received it.
It takes ~10 days to release the background check after it's complete. Mine was complete on 1/22, released to MSU on 1/31, and I got my full acceptance on 2/18.

Maybe we'll hear back about some decisions today+tomorrow?

Any idea when MSU historically releases financial aid decisions?

Just got the acceptance call around 8 pm tonight!! Interviewed 2/23

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Interviewed 1/25 and still haven't heard anything back :(

is it really 80-90k per year for OOS students? Sounds kinda crazy right hehe?