2020-2021 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 2/26, WL first tier! Apparently the WL movement is slow based on historical trends? Really hoping it isn't this year!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if they will send out all decisions by the final decision date? (3/31)

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an acceptence call! Interviewed 02/25 I’m instate mcat 500 3.91gpa I’m crying so hard

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Question for waitlisted people - did you put updates in your LOI or sent both an LOI and update letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
WL yesterday, interviewed 2/18. I am hearing there is not much movement in the WL, hopefully that's not the case.

• Care
To: All of you who found things did not go as you had hoped for this year ...they may yet still. ❤️
I am sharing something with you that my husband just wrote for me. I thought we could all look beyond our GPA's, MCAT scores, Lizzy M, WARS, IS, OOS, and think about how we really define our worth. Who are we really? I think we know, but this process is much harder and disheartening than I ever expected. Behind all of these posts and stats we are people who are a little hurting, bewildered, confused, and waiting to see beyond this very hard journey to medical school. I hope you all get there! Don't give up.

Here is what he wrote to me...

Mike Piazza, taken by the Los Angeles Dodgers with the 1,390th pick in the 62nd round of 1988's MLB Draft, is now the lowest-drafted Hall of Famer...

Tom Brady, drafted 199th overall in 2000.
And might not have ever seen the field if Drew Bledsoe wasn’t injured by a vicious hit by Brian Cox; 10 Super Bowl appearances and 7 rings & counting. And Gisele....

Aaron Rodgers, The day before the 2005 NFL draft, Aaron Rodgers joked with a few other prospects that they should throw some money in a pool to see who would be the last one called out of the green room at the Javits Convention Center in New York. He was the last of those taken.
He was finally picked 24th, which may not seem low if, in fact, it wasn’t all the players taken in front of him. Considered probably the most complete QB in history (perhaps until Patrick Mahomes, see next). Rodgers, as Stephen A Smith says, ”...is a bad man!”

Patrick Mahomes, much like Rodgers tenth pick wasn’t so terrible except for the players drafted above him, and sadly for Bears nation, they chose Mitch Turbisky or the Jags and Leonard Furnette. Four years into his NFL career Mahomes already has an NFL MVP award and Super Bowl MVP and plenty more on the way!

Manu Ginóbili, from Argentina, has had an arguably Hall of Fame career. He is a three-time NBA champion, a two-time All-Star, and was the 2007-08 Sixth Man of the Year. Not bad for the 57th and second-to-last pick in the 1999 draft. And once killed a bat with his bare hand on the court, I rest my case.

Wade Boggs, Red Sox, 1976, drafted in round 7! His 91.4 career WAR is 43 all-time, which is a sport that’s obsessed with odd stats is very amazing for him. The Hall of Fame third baseman captured five batting titles in his first seven seasons, finishing his 18-year career with a .328 average and 3,010 hits, which only 32 players in MLB history have reached.

Now we could go on all day with tales like this. And there are equally as many, perhaps even more ‘busts’ that were supposed to be good. And we could look at business ( aka the story of Hershey) or art: Spielberg rejected from the prestigious USC film school, Oprah fired from her first job, Einstein had trouble “learning in the traditional manner”, Newton pulled out of school to run the family farm, but turned out ok for him, Michael Jordan cut from varsity on his first tryout, Edison told he was too stupid to learn anything, Seinfeld booed off stage...

MD/DO it’s in you because you are you—if you want to want this even more then don’t give and don’t give in, as Pat Benatar sings “to the doubts that complicate your mind.”

Waiting is the hardest part (Tom Petty), but know that the time you have to wait now is where you can refine anything about yourself; not just about applying or matriculating: but all things!

This is not about the baking; but what is done while the rye is on the rise.

XO

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
To: All of you who found things did not go as you had hoped for this year ...they may yet still. ❤️
I am sharing something with you that my husband just wrote for me. I thought we could all look beyond our GPA's, MCAT scores, Lizzy M, WARS, IS, OOS, and think about how we really define our worth. Who are we really? I think we know, but this process is much harder and disheartening than I ever expected. Behind all of these posts and stats we are people who are a little hurting, bewildered, confused, and waiting to see beyond this very hard journey to medical school. I hope you all get there! Don't give up.

Here is what he wrote to me...

Mike Piazza, taken by the Los Angeles Dodgers with the 1,390th pick in the 62nd round of 1988's MLB Draft, is now the lowest-drafted Hall of Famer...

Tom Brady, drafted 199th overall in 2000.
And might not have ever seen the field if Drew Bledsoe wasn’t injured by a vicious hit by Brian Cox; 10 Super Bowl appearances and 7 rings & counting. And Gisele....

Aaron Rodgers, The day before the 2005 NFL draft, Aaron Rodgers joked with a few other prospects that they should throw some money in a pool to see who would be the last one called out of the green room at the Javits Convention Center in New York. He was the last of those taken.
He was finally picked 24th, which may not seem low if, in fact, it wasn’t all the players taken in front of him. Considered probably the most complete QB in history (perhaps until Patrick Mahomes, see next). Rodgers, as Stephen A Smith says, ”...is a bad man!”

Patrick Mahomes, much like Rodgers tenth pick wasn’t so terrible except for the players drafted above him, and sadly for Bears nation, they chose Mitch Turbisky or the Jags and Leonard Furnette. Four years into his NFL career Mahomes already has an NFL MVP award and Super Bowl MVP and plenty more on the way!

Manu Ginóbili, from Argentina, has had an arguably Hall of Fame career. He is a three-time NBA champion, a two-time All-Star, and was the 2007-08 Sixth Man of the Year. Not bad for the 57th and second-to-last pick in the 1999 draft. And once killed a bat with his bare hand on the court, I rest my case.

Wade Boggs, Red Sox, 1976, drafted in round 7! His 91.4 career WAR is 43 all-time, which is a sport that’s obsessed with odd stats is very amazing for him. The Hall of Fame third baseman captured five batting titles in his first seven seasons, finishing his 18-year career with a .328 average and 3,010 hits, which only 32 players in MLB history have reached.

Now we could go on all day with tales like this. And there are equally as many, perhaps even more ‘busts’ that were supposed to be good. And we could look at business ( aka the story of Hershey) or art: Spielberg rejected from the prestigious USC film school, Oprah fired from her first job, Einstein had trouble “learning in the traditional manner”, Newton pulled out of school to run the family farm, but turned out ok for him, Michael Jordan cut from varsity on his first tryout, Edison told he was too stupid to learn anything, Seinfeld booed off stage...

MD/DO it’s in you because you are you—if you want to want this even more then don’t give and don’t give in, as Pat Benatar sings “to the doubts that complicate your mind.”

Waiting is the hardest part (Tom Petty), but know that the time you have to wait now is where you can refine anything about yourself; not just about applying or matriculating: but all things!

This is not about the baking; but what is done while the rye is on the rise.

XO
This is really beautifully written, would you mind if I printed this out and place above my desk?

Can any current students weigh in on Mac vs. PC with the curriculum? Are either more compatible or is it just personal preference? I'm going to need a new computer and I don't want to end up with extra issues.
Thanks!

Can any current students weigh in on Mac vs. PC with the curriculum? Are either more compatible or is it just personal preference? I'm going to need a new computer and I don't want to end up with extra issues.
Thanks!
I'm not a current student, but I called IT about this before buying a new computer, and spoke with them at length about what works best with JustInTime and test taking. They said that most students seem to have macbooks, and they work well, but that any computer works. MSU CHM does not use ExamSoft (many schools do, so if you're also looking at other schools at this point, ask their IT departments about this) which has been known to have compatibility issues with newer mac computers.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you hear that from the admissions? I've been afraid to ask them lol
Just through other threads. Have not heard anything from admissions about it sadly. Has anyone been pulled from the WL or have any information on this?

I'm not a current student, but I called IT about this before buying a new computer, and spoke with them at length about what works best with JustInTime and test taking. They said that most students seem to have macbooks, and they work well, but that any computer works. MSU CHM does not use ExamSoft (many schools do, so if you're also looking at other schools at this point, ask their IT departments about this) which has been known to have compatibility issues with newer mac computers.
Thank you so much! This is so helpful!

Anyone considering an iPad for note taking?

Anyone considering an iPad for note taking?
I’m getting one! I’ve read through a lot of sdn/Reddit threads and watched videos of med students who have one and then based on how I like learning I think it would be a great tool for me and well worth the price lol

Any current students or those that know current students have this year’s match list here?

Does anyone know when we’ll find out about what campus we’re on? I’m getting antsy about securing a place to live lol

Does anyone know when we’ll find out about what campus we’re on? I’m getting antsy about securing a place to live lol
By April 9th 5 PM EST! (Email said it was the latest time we could find out so I'm guessing earlier that day)

Since the campus placement deadline is coming up on April 5th, how are y'all making the decision? I feel like just watching videos and tours online is not enough to choose. Can any current students weigh-in or PM me their number so I can ask further questions? Thanks

hoping for Grand Rapids! Does it matter if I submitted my preference on the first day?

Anyone here on the waitlist and this is their only option? lol

Since the campus placement deadline is coming up on April 5th, how are y'all making the decision? I feel like just watching videos and tours online is not enough to choose. Can any current students weigh-in or PM me their number so I can ask further questions? Thanks

I was in EL for undergrad so I’d be happy to answer any questions!

I'm from GR, and know quite a few students here; feel free to PM!

Has anyone received their financial aid package? I thought I remember them saying that they were going to have them sent out by April 1st.

Has anyone received their financial aid package? I thought I remember them saying that they were going to have them sent out by April 1st.
I vaguely remember fin. office telling me it would be around mid-late April.

I just withdrew my alternate offer. Good luck to all of you! peace out.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Students who were accepted in Feburary. Did you recieve your formal acceptance letter yet? I submitted all the indicated material on the portal and my background check was sent to them Feb 18th (per Certiphi ). And I've still heard nothing back.

Students who were accepted in Feburary. Did you recieve your formal acceptance letter yet? I submitted all the indicated material on the portal and my background check was sent to them Feb 18th (per Certiphi ). And I've still heard nothing back.
I wasn't accepted in February but it only took 2 weeks for my full acceptance to arrive from when my background check was completed

I was accepted on March 9th and just got my full acceptance today!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone hear back from LRM program yet?
I heard back from MD-PH 2 days ago if that helps! I was expecting more interviews for these certificate programs so I was pleasantly surprised to just get the email acceptance.

If there are any current students/alumni who did MD-PH, please reach out, I'd love to chat about your experience!!