2020-2021 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you're right with lectures being recorded. I guess I'm wondering how often we would be coming in like if it's necessary to live close by for anything.

A Michigan medical student might be able to answer better (@pBar ?), but here's what I found earlier Schedule Snapshots

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A Michigan medical student might be able to answer better (@pBar ?), but here's what I found earlier Schedule Snapshots
I think you're right with lectures being recorded. I guess I'm wondering how often we would be coming in like if it's necessary to live close by for anything.
While I can not say exactly what curriculum will look like in the fall for incoming M1s, I can clarify a couple things. First off, yes, all lectures are recorded and unless otherwise indicated, all lectures are optional. All lectures with closed captioning are posted on canvas to students to watch at their own convenience. This year, lectures were uploaded ~3 weeks prior to being scheduled and students could access them whenever. In past years, when lectures were held in person, they would then be uploaded same day for students to access. Students also have access to recordings of previous years lectures at any time in case recorded lectures aren't available yet and you are either ahead or just need that sweet sweet 2x.

In a given week, there will be anywhere from 2-5 mandatory classes/events that depending on the state of the world, will either be in person, on zoom, or a mix of both. These live sessions include weekly doctoring course, anatomy lab, improving health systems, leadership development, interprofessional education, small group PBL, and patient presentations. You wont have all these every week, but variably throughout the year and curriculum schedule.

This past year for us current M1s, we've been hybrid with the majority virtual. The only in person curriculum we've had to go to the medical school for has been anatomy lab and our doctoring physical exam and standardized patient sessions. Otherwise we've managed to get by with everything else in a virtual setting.

That being said, I would still recommend living close to the school for your M1 year. Even if your M1 year starts off similar to how the current M1's are structured, you will most likely be transitioned back to in person events some time during your M1 year. As well, being close to the hospital makes it much easier to get involved in clinical opportunities such as shadowing, preceptorships, required first year clinical experiences (CRE and IPE), and get involved in research being done at the hospital. Other benefits of living close to the hospital you will find include (a) parking is a pain and you'll appreciate being within a shorting walking distance and (b) probably 90-95% of M1s their first year live in either White Coat or KerryTown. It's much easier to get close with the class when living in the same neighborhood as them.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: 6 users
While I can not say exactly what curriculum will look like in the fall for incoming M1s, I can clarify a couple things. First off, yes, all lectures are recorded and unless otherwise indicated, all lectures are optional. All lectures with closed captioning are posted on canvas to students to watch at their own convenience. This year, lectures were uploaded ~3 weeks prior to being scheduled and students could access them whenever. In past years, when lectures were held in person, they would then be uploaded same day for students to access. Students also have access to recordings of previous years lectures at any time in case recorded lectures aren't available yet and you are either ahead or just need that sweet sweet 2x.

In a given week, there will be anywhere from 2-5 mandatory classes/events that depending on the state of the world, will either be in person, on zoom, or a mix of both. These live sessions include weekly doctoring course, anatomy lab, improving health systems, leadership development, interprofessional education, small group PBL, and patient presentations. You wont have all these every week, but variably throughout the year and curriculum schedule.

This past year for us current M1s, we've been hybrid with the majority virtual. The only in person curriculum we've had to go to the medical school for has been anatomy lab and our doctoring physical exam and standardized patient sessions. Otherwise we've managed to get by with everything else in a virtual setting.

That being said, I would still recommend living close to the school for your M1 year. Even if your M1 year starts off similar to how the current M1's are structured, you will most likely be transitioned back to in person events some time during your M1 year. As well, being close to the hospital makes it much easier to get involved in clinical opportunities such as shadowing, preceptorships, required first year clinical experiences (CRE and IPE), and get involved in research being done at the hospital. Other benefits of living close to the hospital you will find include (a) parking is a pain and you'll appreciate being within a shorting walking distance and (b) probably 90-95% of M1s their first year live in either White Coat or KerryTown. It's much easier to get close with the class when living in the same neighborhood as them.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
So should we be prepared to spend a majority of our time (M1) at our place in Ann Arbor or are there facilities open like the library, the campus, etc, even if it is online. What about Ann Arbor in general, is it empty and closed for the most part?

Members don't see this ad :)
So should we be prepared to spend a majority of our time (M1) at our place in Ann Arbor or are there facilities open like the library, the campus, etc, even if it is online. What about Ann Arbor in general, is it empty and closed for the most part?
While it is impossible to say what the state of the world will be regarding COVID-19 comes this fall, I can at least speak for what Ann Arbor is like right now. The majority of the UM buildings and facilities are up and running with reasonable expectations for social distancing, daily screening questionnaires, and weekly salivary COVID tests. Students still have access to the Taubman Health Science Library (24/7), laboratories, and the anatomical labs, and other buildings on campus. So you will definitely be able to find places to study outside of your place of residence around campus during the week. I highly doubt restrictions will get any tighter on campus like they were back last Fall. Given that all the med students have been vaccinated, and incoming M0s who have not been vaccinated will likely be offered the vaccine shortly after being placed in the system, this aids to my hunch that you guys will have much more lax restrictions than we did when we started.

As for Ann Arbor itself, it has been slow to re-open downtown, but things are slowly but surely as vaccine role-out continues and state guidelines are loosened. I just read that the Art Festival downtown is going to be held this year in July and restaurants and bars have started to allow low capacity dinning in. Last summer, the city shut down liberty and state street on weekends and allowed restaurants to bring outdoor seating onto the street and I would suspect that to be this summer. Despite, the pandemic though, Ann Arbor has till felt lively, especially during the warmer months.

Like I mentioned, it is hard to predict what this Fall will look like, but I would be cautiously optimistic that incoming M0s will have plenty of opportunities to safely explore A2 and utilize the facilities offered by the school during their M1 year.

Reactions: 1 users
Placed on upper tier waitlist. Deferred on 2/17. Does anyone know how much movement there is/do I have a chance?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Placed on upper tier waitlist. Deferred on 2/17. Does anyone know how much movement there is/do I have a chance?
When did you find out the tier? Historically not much WL movement but last year there was some according to the website.

WL middle tier this morning. Deferred in October. Email said “historically limited movement.” 5 months is a long time just to hear that I wasn’t a likely candidate to get accepted :/

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if it’s usually really hard to get in state tuition after first year? I’m looking over their website but was curious if anyone had any other info. Thanks!

Anyone know if it’s usually really hard to get in state tuition after first year? I’m looking over their website but was curious if anyone had any other info. Thanks!
Looks like its almost quiet impossible unless you have some ties.

Congrats on everyone who has been accepted to Michigan. Was a phenomenal time there and truly set me up to be where I am today. More than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I have a place available for rent if anyone is interested. It is fairly new construction (built in 2018). It is officially a 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom place but can be used as a 4 bedroom as well. It is located 10 minutes away from the hospital and medical school so not too far but not so close also.

If you are interested in more information please send me a PM and I can send information.

Also if you have any questions more than happy to answer.

Go Blue!

Did anyone else get that deferral offer email? Any idea why they would want someone to defer?

Did anyone else get that deferral offer email? Any idea why they would want someone to defer?
That would be because they are overfilled and need to thin the herd. Most school over accept in order to not have to make extensive use of the WL when people withdraw. NOBODY has a 100% yield. It seems like their yield was higher this year than they expected, and now they have a problem, because they can't have more students than spots.

This is exactly like being asked to give up your seat on an overbooked flight. They are looking for volunteers before bumping if not enough people withdraw or voluntarily defer. By the way, I think it is VERY rare for anyone to be involuntarily deferred.

Just like with the airlines, schools that have to do this (which is very rare in itself) make the offers increasingly attractive until they are swamped with volunteers. As a result, if you don't mind chilling for a year before starting, the smart move is to take the offer if you find it attractive, rather than holding out waiting for more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if it's the same for Michigan but I'd assume they'd have similar policies as MSU b/c they're both state schools (but maybe not) and I know people who have gotten in-state tuition there after the first year not sure if that's helpful or not

I didn't but have seen a one sentence mention of it in other emails. You got a separate one specific to deferrals?

I didn't but have seen a one sentence mention of it in other emails. You got a separate one specific to deferrals?
Yes, I did. I guess they send it out in batches so not too many people accept the offer to defer. Interesting.

Last edited:
So not to be too-too neurotic, but after committing to enroll, did anyone get any sort of email? I got the email about deferring (+ some other information) but a part of me is worried that I haven't actually committed lol

Not sure if it's the same for Michigan but I'd assume they'd have similar policies as MSU b/c they're both state schools (but maybe not) and I know people who have gotten in-state tuition there after the first year not sure if that's helpful or not
how thee F do they get in-state tuition lol

Probably means that they give them a scholarship that brings the cost down to what in state tuition would be.
I imagine this is the case because Wayne does it with pre-4/30 merit scholarships "bribes" that waive IS tuition and only charge OOS surcharges not subsidized by MI taxpayers.