2023-2024 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GOT THE A CALL! SCREAMING CRYING IM SO HAPPY?!
Interviewed 1/11
LETS GO. WELL DESERVED YOU GOAT. IM SO HAPPY READING THIS

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For my interview date, most people got called one particular weekend (Friday through Sunday if I remember correctly). By Sunday night, I was convinced I did not get in since I didn't get a call. Monday morning I woke up to an email that had a video sharing my acceptance. My student called me a few days later and left a voicemail (on Tuesday or Wednesday). I don't think the calls are always 100% consistent since students do them. My portal updated, but not until after I got the email.
Thanks for sharing! And CONGRATS!!!!

OOS A via Email just now!!! No one called me so don't freak out if you haven't gotten a call!!

1/25 Interview, LM of 73!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
GOT THE CALL!!!!!!!!! OOS A🥳 interviewed 2/1 good luck everyone you all will end up where you will thrive :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
does anyone know if they accept or care about updated transcripts?

to any current students on this thread, do you take step 1 after the second year? Even though you are in clinicals already second year? Seems like it would be busy to study for step 1 and be in clinical rotations :/

I was deferred by Michigan in November but my CYMS says I was placed on the alternate list. Anyone else have this? Other schools I was deferred at don’t show up so I’m confused if that’s their way of saying deferred or if I have actually been waitlisted

Members don't see this ad :)
+1
I was deferred by Michigan in November but my CYMS says I was placed on the alternate list. Anyone else have this? Other schools I was deferred at don’t show up so I’m confused if that’s their way of saying deferred or if I have actually been waitlisted

Strange. I was placed on Michigan's waitlist and it doesn't appear in my CYMS and was also waitlisted at Hofstra and it DOES appear in my CYMS. I plan on withdrawing from both once financial aid decisions are made, but wanted to share the information if it is helpful.

Does the date in CYMS correspond with the November notice you got? My Hofstra date in CYMS is the same as my WL notification date. The dates of my acceptances are also the same. Wondering if your deferred date matches the CYMS date or are you getting information that has not been disclosed to you yet.

Strange. I was placed on Michigan's waitlist and it doesn't appear in my CYMS and was also waitlisted at Hofstra and it DOES appear in my CYMS. I plan on withdrawing from both once financial aid decisions are made, but wanted to share the information if it is helpful.

Does the date in CYMS correspond with the November notice you got? My Hofstra date in CYMS is the same as my WL notification date.
Nope it says Feb 8th…wondering if they made a decision but didn’t notify me lol

Yup that's what I was wondering. I edited my post to make it more clear. My acceptances and WL dates all match the date they were communicated to me. Except for Michigan, of course, which is not listed in alternate list even though I was waitlisted.

Anyway, if in fact you were WL'd at Michigan, they say: "You may check here after March 15th for more information about your relative position on the waitlist," meaning the portal.

Last edited:
Yup that's what I was wondering. I edited my post to make it more clear. My acceptances and WL dates all match the date they were communicated to me.

If in fact you were WL at Michigan, they say: "You may check here after March 15th for more information about your relative position on the waitlist," meaning the portal.
yeah my portal still says deferred😭 oh well. Appreciate the info!

Reactions: 1 user
yeah my portal still says deferred😭 oh well. Appreciate the info!
It could be Michigan considers "alternate list" to be deferrals until whole process is over and the deferrals becomes A's, WL's, or R's, and then at that point Michigan considers its alternate list for CYMS to be waitlisted people.

Just puzzling why you would have a different date.

I was deferred back in October and my CYMS says the same thing as you-- alternate list on Feb 8th. I'm kind of guessing that they might have uploaded all the deferred decisions as alternate list at the same time and we still might hear back about A/WL in a few weeks? Or that's what I'm hoping it means lol

I was deferred back in October and my CYMS says the same thing as you-- alternate list on Feb 8th. I'm kind of guessing that they might have uploaded all the deferred decisions as alternate list at the same time and we still might hear back about A/WL in a few weeks? Or that's what I'm hoping it means lol
That would make sense too because January interviewees heard back on Feb 8/9 so it would seem that committee meeting was when the paperwork was filed for CYMS classifications. Hopefully it’s a generic status that they had to push just to get the logistics ironed out

I contacted admissions and they claim that in their systems I am still a 'Deferred Decision' and not a waitlist. They say that it is a computer error. I do not know how much I trust them but I guess the best I can do is take them for their word.

Do any current students know if need-based aid is added on top of merit-based aid? I received a full tuition scholarship but am curious if it is possible that my COL could be partially funded if I am from a low-income family (under 50k per year total comp)

Do any current students know if need-based aid is added on top of merit-based aid? I received a full tuition scholarship but am curious if it is possible that my COL could be partially funded if I am from a low-income family (under 50k per year total comp)
Unrelated but did they send you an email stating your reward or did you check wolverine access

I got an email a few months ago

Edit: It doesn't show up in my wolverine access either
Thanks for response, also congrats on your scholarship! I would email the financial aid office for your question to be honest.

Any current students with families making around 100K willing to talk about the aid situation? Just tryna gauge how much aid they dole out

Any current students with families making around 100K willing to talk about the aid situation? Just tryna gauge how much aid they dole out
if ur 24 and up ur considered independent and hence they don't take into consideration ur parents, if ur referring to fafsa

I was also deferred back in October and my CYMS says "Interview Requested" instead of alternate list. It also says that this was updated on Feb 22. My applicant portal still says deferred decision though. Does anyone know what this might mean?

I was also deferred back in October and my CYMS says "Interview Requested" instead of alternate list. It also says that this was updated on Feb 22. My applicant portal still says deferred decision though. Does anyone know what this might mean?
mine also says this- no idea what it means

Does anyone else who was deferred have “alternate list” or “interview requested” on their CYMS?

Does anyone else who was deferred have “alternate list” or “interview requested” on their CYMS?
I was waitlisted and my CYMS still does not even have Michigan listed. So I wonder whether Michigan sends deferred students as alternate list until final decisions are made (A/WL/R) and then sends all WL to AMCAS as alternate list.

But who knows!

When I checked last week CYMS said "alternate list", but today it says "interview requested". Haven't heard from UMMS since I got deferred in November so I have no idea what that means

Yes, I have had the same things as you as you have posted them! I have been deferred since October. In the CYMS tool, it originally said alternate list, and now (also updated Feb 22) it says interview requested. I am assuming it is a placeholder or a glitch.

Any others who have been waitlisted still not having anything at all showing up in Choose Your Medical School? I was WL'd on 11/20 and Michigan does not show up in my CYMS tool. The other three schools I have been waitlisted at were instantly reflected as "alternate list" in CYMS. Just want to know whether I should notify admissions or is this just the way everyone's is for now. I know people who were deferred were showing up in CYMS as "alternate list" at first and now are showing up as "interview requested". So it could be Michigan just does things differently.

Any others who have been waitlisted still not having anything at all showing up in Choose Your Medical School? I was WL'd on 11/20 and Michigan does not show up in my CYMS tool. The other three schools I have been waitlisted at were instantly reflected as "alternate list" in CYMS. Just want to know whether I should notify admissions or is this just the way everyone's is for now. I know people who were deferred were showing up in CYMS as "alternate list" at first and now are showing up as "interview requested". So it could be Michigan just does things differently.
same for me, other waitlists and acceptance are in choose your medical school but not michigan :/

Does anyone know how many current DD/WL applicants there are? I don't remember any ADCOMS disclosing how many applicants get DD/WL/Rejected post interview so I'm not sure how large each pool is at this point.

Does anyone know how many current DD/WL applicants there are? I don't remember any ADCOMS disclosing how many applicants get DD/WL/Rejected post interview so I'm not sure how large each pool is at this point.
I think 22/80 got off WL last year. From MSAR:

Waitlist Information​

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information

I think 22/80 got off WL last year. From MSAR:

Waitlist Information​

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information
Okay! Do you know anything about at this point in the cycle? I know DD applicants will either be accepted or waitlisted by March, but I'm wondering how large the waitlist is already.

Okay! Do you know anything about at this point in the cycle? I know DD applicants will either be accepted or waitlisted by March, but I'm wondering how large the waitlist is already.
No. I guess you can get an estimate by looking at last year WL posts up to this date and after this date and then compare that number posted so far this year knowing that the list had 80 on it last year.

If anyone else is interested in this, I reached out and they said that merit scholarships do not affect eligibility for need-based grants. Very good news!

Update: my CYMS tool finally says "Alternate List" with Michigan apparently notifying AMCAS on February 28, 2024 - 11:05 PM EST. I was waitlisted over 3 months earlier on 11/20.

Best of luck everyone!