2023-2024 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Michigan Secondary Essay Prompts:

Essay 1
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our seven Paths of Excellence.
(1500 characters)

-OR - if applying to the Medical Scientist Training Program
Describe why you are applying to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation. We recognize that your interests may change. (1500 characters)

Essay 2
Please respond to only one of the following two prompts. (2500 characters)

• Describe how your identity impacts the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
  • If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects.
(2500 characters)

Essay 4
Outside of medicine, and beyond what we can read in your application, please tell us what you’re curious about, or what you’re passionate about, or what brings you joy – and why. Some examples include listening to historical novels, exploring national parks, woodworking, baking cupcakes, podcasting, knitting, playing pickleball, filmmaking, making music, etc. (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Michigan Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@wysdoc 2023-24 Secondary Application Essay Prompts

Essay 1
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our seven Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
OR, if applying to the Medical Scientist Training Program:
Describe why you are applying to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation. We recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

Essay 2
Please respond to only one of the following two prompts. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).
  • Describe how your identity impacts the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
  • If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Essay 4
Outside of medicine, and beyond what we can read in your application, please tell us what you’re curious about, or what you’re passionate about, or what brings you joy – and why. Some examples include listening to historical novels, exploring national parks, woodworking, baking cupcakes, podcasting, knitting, playing pickleball, filmmaking, making music, etc. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

Reactions: 1 user

Essay 1
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our seven Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
Describe why you are applying to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation. We recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

Essay 2
Please respond to only one of the following two prompts. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Essay 4
Outside of medicine, and beyond what we can read in your application, please tell us what you’re curious about, or what you’re passionate about, or what brings you joy – and why. Some examples include listening to historical novels, exploring national parks, woodworking, baking cupcakes, podcasting, knitting, playing pickleball, filmmaking, making music, etc. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
I was so confused about how you got a secondary so early until I realized Mich posted their prompts online lmao

Members don't see this ad :)

Essay 1

Essay 2
Essay 3

Essay 4
Thanks @irishbronco

For 4, should I write about something that is not in my primary at all? I already have a hobby included as one of my activities and could definitely expand on it, but am now unsure because of the "beyond what we can read in your application" line.

For 4, should I write about something that is not in my primary at all? I already have a hobby included as one of my activities and could definitely expand on it, but am now unsure because of the "beyond what we can read in your application" line.
That’s what the question says…

University of Michigan seems to have received their first batch of applications today based on an email from admissions.

University of Michigan seems to have received their first batch of applications today based on an email from admissions.
First day apps are sent is June 30 so that seems unlikely?

Reactions: 1 users
OOS secondary received. First one of this cycle for me! Let's do this 😤

Reactions: 4 users
Is there a way to know if our application has been transmitted successfully? I'm above Michigan's screening cutoff but haven't received anything and I checked my spam folder. AMCAS status says 'Application - AMCAS Processing is Complete' but I've been having an issue for the past couple days where I can only open AMCAS in an incognito window. Just stressed that something is going wrong :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to know if our application has been transmitted successfully? I'm above Michigan's screening cutoff but haven't received anything and I checked my spam folder. AMCAS status says 'Application - AMCAS Processing is Complete' but I've been having an issue for the past couple days where I can only open AMCAS in an incognito window. Just stressed that something is going wrong :/
Mine says the same thing. I submitted my app 6/1, and it was processed on 6/16.

Mine says the same thing. I submitted my app 6/1 and it was processed on 6/16.
Did you get an email from AMCAS letting them know your application was sent? I called and they said that my application was sent to medical schools but I didn't get any email confirmation today. I still haven't received Michigan's secondary.

Did you get an email from AMCAS letting them know your application was sent? I called and they said that my application was sent to medical schools but I didn't get any email confirmation today. I still haven't received Michigan's secondary.
Last email I got from AMCAS was on 6/16 with the subject "Your AMCAS Application is Processed."

Just got mine a few minutes ago, they are probably sending a ton out so it takes a little bit to filter through.

OOS secondary received. MSAR states that "Secondary App sent to candidates with MCAT at or above the 35th percentile. Those below 35th percentile are screened for excellence within our competencies and may be sent a Secondary after review." I received a secondary with a 513 MCAT.

I was employed 10+ hours/week for about 3 of 4 years as an undergrad, but with some breaks. Is that OK to mention under the "other employment" section of the activities?

I was employed 10+ hours/week for about 3 of 4 years as an undergrad, but with some breaks. Is that OK to mention under the "other employment" section of the activities?
I would say yes

MSAR states that "Secondary App sent to candidates with MCAT at or above the 35th percentile. Those below 35th percentile are screened for excellence within our competencies and may be sent a Secondary after review."

Reminding myself of this as I wait.... 😶‍🌫️

Would it bad to leave this all blank: If applicable, indicate substantive experiences since high school in which you invested a SIGNIFICANT PERSONAL COMMITMENT of 10 hours or more per week. Indicate the total number of years you engaged in the experience. Please leave the field blank if less than one year.

I have alot of activities that span over a couple of years but not 10 hours per week.

Would it bad to leave this all blank: If applicable, indicate substantive experiences since high school in which you invested a SIGNIFICANT PERSONAL COMMITMENT of 10 hours or more per week. Indicate the total number of years you engaged in the experience. Please leave the field blank if less than one year.

I have alot of activities that span over a couple of years but not 10 hours per week.
Also wondering about this section. How are others interpreting the instructions on what to write in each box? If I have an applicable experience, do I explain it/say what it was at all? Or do I only write the number of years I was dedicated to each broad category?

Last edited:
Also wondering about this section. How are others interpreting the instructions on what to write in each box? If I have an applicable experience, do I explain it/say what it was at all? Or do I only write the number of years I was dedicated to each broad category?
The wording makes it seem like we just input a #, which is what I'm doing. Not sure why they even ask this since it's all in our primary lol.

I'm in a similar boat, I think I have to just leave it blank

The wording makes it seem like we just input a #, which is what I'm doing. Not sure why they even ask this since it's all in our primary lol.
i'm not gonna lie guys, idk if i'm the only one but i totally messed up on this section of the secondary...listed 15+ years for an art related hobby due to misinterpreting the "since high school part"...hopefully it's okay because it's also reflected in my primary oops
*also ended up listing 5 years for work/employment because of that misinterpretation

For essay 1, should I be writing about how Michigan will help me achieve these my career goals, or should I simply write about my career goals without mentioning anything in their curriculum?

For essay 1, should I be writing about how Michigan will help me achieve these my career goals, or should I simply write about my career goals without mentioning anything in their curriculum?
I mentioned a couple of programs (one of their paths of excellence since they referred to it in the question as well as a dual degree program). It was only like one or two sentences though and I wouldn't go overboard trying to convert it into a why this school essay.

I just looked into their paths of excellence and chose some that aligned with what I wanted to do and wrote about that. I focused more on writing about career goals rather than how Michigan would help achieve them. I kind of addressed the relevant paths of excellence tangentially, if that makes sense.

Does anyone's app say it was completed or is also at "secondary received"? I feel like I've submitted everything they asked for.

Does anyone's app say it was completed or is also at "secondary received"? I feel like I've submitted everything they asked for.
I've only gotten a secondary received email.

how fast should we be turning in the secondaries for umich? is 2 weeks too late considering theyre heaving on rolling?

Hello everyone, I have a question about the acknowledgements section. Are we meant to type our names in the text box that says, "Official Use Only?" I'm confused why this textbox is available to us.

Hello everyone, I have a question about the acknowledgements section. Are we meant to type our names in the text box that says, "Official Use Only?" I'm confused why this textbox is available to us.
i left it blank and mine is complete!

hey everyone, just making sure...does "since high school" include high school? or do we only count starting from freshman year of college for the experiences of 10 hours or more per week.

hey everyone, just making sure...does "since high school" include high school? or do we only count starting from freshman year of college for the experiences of 10 hours or more per week.
Starting freshmen or the summer before freshmen and after HS graduation IMO