2020-2021 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question to those who have already been accepted.

Do we have to send our official transcripts to AZCOM? On the Accepted Student Checklist, it says that our transcripts are "expected". But in our acceptance email, it says "all final transcripts will be downloaded from AACOMAS." So I am not sure if we need to send them our transcripts.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question to those who have already been accepted.

Do we have to send our official transcripts to AZCOM? On the Accepted Student Checklist, it says that our transcripts are "expected". But in our acceptance email, it says "all final transcripts will be downloaded from AACOMAS." So I am not sure if we need to send them our transcripts.
They downloaded mine from AACOMAS a few days after I confirmed enrollment and paid my deposit.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my acceptance email on Wednesday! Has anyone had any experience with trying to claim credit for prereqs? I'm pretty sure I marked my Literature (3hrs) and Rhetoric (3hrs) courses on my app to fulfill the English req but it says I'm still missing 3 hours. Pretty sure other schools would have accepted both
+1. It says I'm missing 6 credits of english even though I fulfilled my english reqs! I messaged them through the portal as well as sent an email to admissions and they haven't replied and it's been almost a week -_-

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the frequent tests less stressful?
I'm a first year and I know some people don't mind the tests at all, and some will vehemently disagree with what I have to say... but my personal experience has been awful. It makes it almost impossible to keep up with all the lectures. As soon as you pause your current studies to review for your upcoming test, you're behind in your other classes. Our first quarter we had 18 total tests/practicals in 11 weeks and it was one of the most crushing times of my life. Obviously I expected med school to be extremely difficult, but for me personally, the format of this curriculum has been working against me since day one. For others it seems to be a match made in heaven.

512 MCAT, 3.73 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA so you know where I'm coming from.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say that I rescinded my accpetance yesterday, I hope it goes to one of you other kick-ass applicants! Best of luck to everyone on this thread with the remainder of this cycle :)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone come off the pre interview hold here. I was put on back in September

Anyone who submitted secondary mid-september get an II yet? Still waiting...

Withdrew my application and declined the offer of admission.
I really like AZCOM and I hope my spot goes to one of you. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Lmao I asked my husband if asking time zone was too much and he said to just assume it’s pacific and wait until 5pm
We are MST(Mountain Standard Time) here in Arizona since we don’t do daylight savings time half the year we are PST and the other half we are MST.

• Wow
so if we got accepted, signed the agreement and paid the deposit, can we cancel anytime afterwards and give up our seat? Im waiting to hear back from a few other schools but I just wanna make sure.....

Members don't see this ad :)
so if we got accepted, signed the agreement and paid the deposit, can we cancel anytime afterwards and give up our seat? Im waiting to hear back from a few other schools but I just wanna make sure.....

Yes. You can withdraw and get $100 back up to 30 days before orientation.

Anyone else just get an email from "General Admissions-AZ" that reads:
"Hello! This year you applied to our Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine but unfortunately your application has not advanced through the process as you had originally planned. With that in mind, we would like to help you consider another option to help you further your academic goals at Midwestern University" Then it goes on to invite me to apply to the College of Pharmacy.

is....is this my rejection email? LMAO. I was put on pre-interview hold months ago but hadn't heard anything else until just now.

Edit: just read the remainder of the email which basically said that my application status is still "waitlisted" (pre-II)

"Hello! This year you applied to our Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine but unfortunately your application has not advanced through the process as you had originally planned. With that in mind, we would like to help you consider another option to help you further your academic goals at Midwestern University" Then it goes on to invite me to apply to the College of Pharmacy.

is....is this my rejection email? LMAO. I was put on pre-interview hold months ago but hadn't heard anything else until just now.
I got the exact same email, and I was also put on the pre-interview hold months ago!! I got an R from CCOM as the same time as I got this email. I'm not sure if that means I also got an R from AZCOM?

I got the exact same email, and I was also put on the pre-interview hold. I got an R from CCOM as the same time as I got this email. I'm not sure if that means I also got an R from AZCOM?
No I don't think that AZCOM and CCOM decisions correspond to each other because I was interviewed and accepted to CCOM, meanwhile I have this situation going on at AZCOM

Edit: just read the remainder of the email which basically said that my application status is still "waitlisted" (pre-II)

No I don't think that AZCOM and CCOM decisions correspond to each other because I was interviewed and accepted to CCOM, meanwhile I have this situation going on at AZCOM
Congrats on your CCOM acceptance!! I'm surprised you got put on hold for AZCOM if you were accepted to CCOM. The pharmacy advertisement email is kinda confusing, since when it says "unfortunately your application has not advanced through the process as you had originally planned" I couldn't tell if it's referring to being put on the interview waitlist or if it's saying we're denied??

Oh just saw your edit, thank goodness! I guess I'm still on the I waitlist

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just an ad to their pharm program. Don't assume anything until the real rejection letter.

• Care
Congrats on your CCOM acceptance!! I'm surprised you got put on hold for AZCOM if you were accepted to CCOM. The pharmacy advertisement email is kinda confusing, since when it says "unfortunately your application has not advanced through the process as you had originally planned" I couldn't tell if it's referring to being put on the interview waitlist or if it's saying we're denied??
Homie, I got the same email! I thought it was a rejection too but then at the end of the email it says "Please note that your current waitlisted status with AZCOM will remain in effect even if you choose to submit this transfer application." So I'm assuming that's still a pre-II hold??? Why these schools giving mixed signals??? lol

Could someone please break down some pros and cons for this school? I'm mainly comparing to Touro NV, so feel free to comment on TUNCOM also. I've heard great things about both schools, so I'm trying to get more information and make the best possible decision. Any and all details help!

Could someone please break down some pros and cons for this school? I'm mainly comparing to Touro NV, so feel free to comment on TUNCOM also. I've heard great things about both schools, so I'm trying to get more information and make the best possible decision. Any and all details help!
I’m a first year and can comment. The faculty are very approachable from the dean on down. They emphasize an open door policy. The course directors are very good and enjoy teaching. Overall I am pleased with my education. Research is emphasized which is good if you want a competitive specialty. There are tons of research opportunities. The area is very nice and there is tons of outdoor things to do, really good hiking. Snowboarding in Flagstaff only 2 hours away. It is a very test heavy program which could be a pro or con for you. I like that we are test heavy because it keeps me on my toes. You get used to the exams because we usually have at least 1 per week and a lot of weeks we have 2 or 3 exams, and finals week we have 4-5 exams depending on how many classes we have that quarter. The school also did a great job with their online learning platform due to Covid and I feel my education has not really suffered much at all. To be honest I like the online learning, its kind of nice to just sit in my comfortable chair and attend lecture. The biggest con is obvious, which is cost of attendance. Another con is you may have to move again after your first two years since rotation sites are in Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, LA, Chicago, and Kankakee IL. You rank your rotation sites and get put into a lottery. I ended up with my first choice but I know a lot of my classmates did not.

Hey all, I hope your application season is going well and you're staying safe with all this COVID nonsense. I'm a current 4th year at AZCOM and would be happy to answer questions about the program or give ya'll some insight that may help on secondary's.
Hi, can you speak about the curriculum? I've heard that there are a lot of exams. Is this any different than other med schools?

I’m a first year and can comment. The faculty are very approachable from the dean on down. They emphasize an open door policy. The course directors are very good and enjoy teaching. Overall I am pleased with my education. Research is emphasized which is good if you want a competitive specialty. There are tons of research opportunities. The area is very nice and there is tons of outdoor things to do, really good hiking. Snowboarding in Flagstaff only 2 hours away. It is a very test heavy program which could be a pro or con for you. I like that we are test heavy because it keeps me on my toes. You get used to the exams because we usually have at least 1 per week and a lot of weeks we have 2 or 3 exams, and finals week we have 4-5 exams depending on how many classes we have that quarter. The school also did a great job with their online learning platform due to Covid and I feel my education has not really suffered much at all. To be honest I like the online learning, its kind of nice to just sit in my comfortable chair and attend lecture. The biggest con is obvious, which is cost of attendance. Another con is you may have to move again after your first two years since rotation sites are in Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, LA, Chicago, and Kankakee IL. You rank your rotation sites and get put into a lottery. I ended up with my first choice but I know a lot of my classmates did not.
But when you get “assigned” a rotation area it’s the same for the last two years? Like your stationed in that area for you clinics or do you jump around from each spot of each rotation? if that makes sense lol

But when you get “assigned” a rotation area it’s the same for the last two years? Like your stationed in that area for you clinics or do you jump around from each spot of each rotation? if that makes sense lol
Pretty much, There may be a rotation you will have to travel. If i remember one of the sites may not have a certain rotation but housing is provide and its only for a month.

Does anyone know when they start pulling off interview waitlist?

Hi, can you speak about the curriculum? I've heard that there are a lot of exams. Is this any different than other med schools?
Yes, it is exam heavy. Some schools you only have a couple per semester. A friend of mine at another med school has only had like 2 or 3 his entire semester so far. I have had over 20. For example last week we had two exams, this week we only have 1 exam, and next week we have 3. It sounds overwhelming but I promise you its not as bad as it sounds. It is very doable and we have great course directors. Every med school is different and this is how our school has decided to format it. You get used yo the exams and it becomes no big deal. It can be stressful at times, but what med school isn’t? Some weeks I am studying all day every day and other weeks I can back off a little bit. I am still able to do fun things and take days off here and there, its all about time management.

Yes, it is exam heavy. Some schools you only have a couple per semester. A friend of mine at another med school has only had like 2 or 3 his entire semester so far. I have had over 20. For example last week we had two exams, this week we only have 1 exam, and next week we have 3. It sounds overwhelming but I promise you its not as bad as it sounds. It is very doable and we have great course directors. Every med school is different and this is how our school has decided to format it. You get used yo the exams and it becomes no big deal. It can be stressful at times, but what med school isn’t? Some weeks I am studying all day every day and other weeks I can back off a little bit. I am still able to do fun things and take days off here and there, its all about time management.
Thank you. Do you think the stress of 20 exams vs a couple actually benefits you? Does it cut into your board study time? I wonder if it's the same amount of material as a school w 2-3 exams a semester but that material is just broken into 20 smaller tests...so the same thing overall and each exam just counts less..? If this is the case then it's technically not a negative as long as you stay on top of the material.

How does the school compare to others in terms of board study time?

Also, is the grading system pass/fail?

Finally, is it OMM heavy compared to other schools?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tough decision but I will be withdrawing my A here. Really liked AZCOM and had a fantastic experience on my interview day with my interviewers, but can't justify the price :/ Hope this goes to one of you!

Thank you. Do you think the stress of 20 exams vs a couple actually benefits you? Does it cut into your board study time? I wonder if it's the same amount of material as a school w 2-3 exams a semester but that material is just broken into 20 smaller tests...so the same thing overall and each exam just counts less..? If this is the case then it's technically not a negative as long as you stay on top of the material.

How does the school compare to others in terms of board study time?

Also, is the grading system pass/fail?

Finally, is it OMM heavy compared to other schools?

Thanks!
Yes I think the stress of 20 exams benefits me for two reasons. First is it keeps me from procrastinating. I’m thr type if person who needs to be under pressure to perform well. Second is I am constantly getting feedback(exam grades) so I know if I am doing well or need to step it up. I don’t know how it compares to other schools in terms of board study. I haven't really looked into it and wont even be thinking about boards until next fall. Grading system is traditional letter grading scale. For OMM its really hard to tell because we only spend 1 hour a week doing OMM because of Covid. Normally I think it would be more like 4 hours a week.

So if we are waiting on a post-II decision and if the committee meets on Wednesday, should we expect portals to begin changing then?

So if we are waiting on a post-II decision and if the committee meets on Wednesday, should we expect portals to begin changing then?
I interviewed 12/1 and my portal updated yesterday so now I have the accepted student checklist, no formal A yet though

I interviewed 12/1 and my portal updated yesterday so now I have the accepted student checklist, no formal A yet though
eeeeeeeeeep in mine they told us to expect by the end of this week,,, cue my incessant checking of the portal

eeeeeeeeeep in mine they told us to expect by the end of this week,,, cue my incessant checking of the portal
I checked every hour yesterday cause I'm neurotic and it updated at end of work day, around 5pm, dont worry you got this!

I checked every hour yesterday cause I'm neurotic and it updated at end of work day, around 5pm, dont worry you got this!
did they tell you it would come on monday? or did they say like beginning of this week?

did they tell you it would come on monday? or did they say like beginning of this week?
I think they said starting this week. I figure they are doing 12/1 Monday, 12/2 Tuesday, 12/3 Wednesday, and toss ups thursday? But I'm just n=1 and just guessing

Yes I think the stress of 20 exams benefits me for two reasons. First is it keeps me from procrastinating. I’m thr type if person who needs to be under pressure to perform well. Second is I am constantly getting feedback(exam grades) so I know if I am doing well or need to step it up. I don’t know how it compares to other schools in terms of board study. I haven't really looked into it and wont even be thinking about boards until next fall. Grading system is traditional letter grading scale. For OMM its really hard to tell because we only spend 1 hour a week doing OMM because of Covid. Normally I think it would be more like 4 hours a week.
With the more frequent testing, is the amount of content proportional to the time you're given to study? Or is 2 week's worth of content (at a school that tests every week or 2 weeks) crammed into one test here?
Also side question: is there a class rank and how much do you think it matters?

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed 12/3 :happy:
OOS GPA 3.5 MCAT 514

Questionnn- did anyone ask about financial aid? Any insights into the process?

Reactions: 3 users
With the more frequent testing, is the amount of content proportional to the time you're given to study? Or is 2 week's worth of content (at a school that tests every week or 2 weeks) crammed into one test here?
Also side question: is there a class rank and how much do you think it matters?
I would say its pretty proportional. Everything feels crammed though. Like the analogy says, its like drinking water from a fire hose. There is a class rank but you don’t get ranked until after your first year. I think it matters for sure but if you are applying for a competitive residency that won’t be enough. For example if someone has a 4.0 but little research, and another person has a 3.6 but tons of research. The 3.6 prob has a better shot at getting that spot in residency.