2020-2021 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Rush University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)
4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)
7. If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (1000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What screen do they use if you know?
From MSAR data on who gets sent secondaries, here's the entry for Rush: "Secondary application invitations will be extended to those qualified applicants after initial review of the primary AMCAS application." From Rush's website: “Those select individuals who we will seriously consider for interview will be invited to complete and submit our secondary application.” Not sure exactly how they screen, but it does seem they do a preliminary review of the application; at the very least, GPA and MCAT are probably factored in.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it’s 3.0 cGPA, 500 (maybe higher?) MCAT and 150 hours community service

From my own experience, I applied to this school 2 years ago with a 500 MCAT (above average GPAs and service) and did not receive a secondary invite. I also submitted my primary in like November so that also could have contributed

From my own experience, I applied to this school 2 years ago with a 500 MCAT (above average GPAs and service) and did not receive a secondary invite. I also submitted my primary in like November so that also could have contributed
They send secondaries to anyone above a 503 (90% sure its 503) and above a 3.0 I am pretty sure. I went to the info session last year and that's what I remember. After that, a real human will review your application holistically, per them.

In the 2019-2020 forum, search for screening. 3.0 GPA + 503 MCAT. I received a secondary this morning so they are sending them out. OOS.

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed your insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)
2. Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this. (1000 characters)
3. Reflect on a time in which you personally gained more from an experience than what was expected. (1000 characters)
4. What do you hope to gain from your Rush Medical College experience that will make you a better/different physician? (1000 characters)
7. If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (1000 characters)

EDIT: There is also an additional comments section (1000 characters) after your patient care responses.

@TheDataKing

Last edited:
Received secondary OOS submitted amcas 6/06

do you remember if you got a formal rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you remember if you got a formal rejection?
Yes, they emailed me about a month after submitting my primary saying they are unable to extend an offer to complete their secondary application.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how their LOR requirements work? Can I submit both a letter packet and individual letters?

What are people writing in the "additional information" section under each patient care experience, if anything?

What are people writing in the "additional information" section under each patient care experience, if anything?
I'm not writing anything, but I presume if you need more room to further expand on a certain activity you could use it for that.

For the question about if we worked during the school year, it gives 2 options for part time - over 20 hours and under 20 hours. That's talking 20 hours per week right?

For the question about if we worked during the school year, it gives 2 options for part time - over 20 hours and under 20 hours. That's talking 20 hours per week right?
Yeah standard part-time jobs are often listed as over or under 20 hours per week

EDIT: There is also an additional comments section (1000 characters) after your patient care responses.

@TheDataKing
Maybe this is a silly question, but was there a question 5 or 6?

Maybe this is a silly question, but was there a question 5 or 6?
5. Were you employed during the time you were enrolled in your undergraduate studies?
(closed-ended questions)
6. Do you have direct patient care/contact experience? Answering "yes" demonstrates you have had active interactions with patients beyond shadowing/observing.
(CV style questions. It does provide a 1000 character space for "additional information")

What kind of "specific knowledge, skills, and abilities" are you guys talking about for your clinical experience? wondering if they want more specific clinical stuff (learned to take histories, vitals, read xrays...) or more like learning to talk to patients, understanding barriers & relationships and all that jazz. Curious to know how others interpreted this!

What kind of "specific knowledge, skills, and abilities" are you guys talking about for your clinical experience? wondering if they want more specific clinical stuff (learned to take histories, vitals, read xrays...) or more like learning to talk to patients, understanding barriers & relationships and all that jazz. Curious to know how others interpreted this!
I would go more the second route.

My mcat got postponed to mid august, does this mean I won’t get a secondary until after I get my score back?

My mcat got postponed to mid august, does this mean I won’t get a secondary until after I get my score back?

Yes, can someone answer this as well. I am taking my MCAT next month, does that mean they will extend secondaries afterwards only?

Yes, can someone answer this as well. I am taking my MCAT next month, does that mean they will extend secondaries afterwards only?

I just got a secondary invite (OOS, Submitted 6/10) and I'm taking my MCAT next week.

Anyone else submitting individual LoRs to Rush? Do we need one letter for each category that they list (Academic, Professional Non-Academic, Personal)? Or are those just the different categories that out letters can come from? I am hoping to submit two academic letters because I think they will be my strongest.

Anyone else submitting individual LoRs to Rush? Do we need one letter for each category that they list (Academic, Professional Non-Academic, Personal)? Or are those just the different categories that out letters can come from? I am hoping to submit two academic letters because I think they will be my strongest.
I got a professional non-academic letter specifically for this school because I thought you need one in each category. I could be wrong, though. Edit: on their website, it does say "letters with the following guidelines," which makes it sound like a requirement.

Do they only allow 4 patient contact experiences for ppl?? I cant add anymore after my 4th

I did it as one per each category. I read it needing the 3 letters to fit one into each of the three guidelines.

Can anyone weigh in to this? Both of my clinical experiences are my most meaningful in my primaries, and one is in my personal statement, so I feel like I have already expanded on them quite a bit and I'm struggling with which direction to take this. Should it be an anecdote as well?

Can anyone weigh in to this? Both of my clinical experiences are my most meaningful in my primaries, and one is in my personal statement, so I feel like I have already expanded on them quite a bit and I'm struggling with which direction to take this. Should it be an anecdote as well?
I ended up talking about both knowledge + lessons learned and tangible skills + tasks, but I avoided anecdotes. The way it's worded about the "narratives should not be paralleled" or something like that made me think that they don't want stories. That was just my take. Although I think the most important thing is to not repeat yourself. If the only way you can do that is by telling a story, I'd say go ahead. Just one girl's opinion tho

What are your thoughts on entering scribing for this question?

Do you have direct patient care/contact experience? Answering "yes" demonstrates you have had active interactions with patients beyond shadowing/observing.​
I have other direct patient care experiences, but I'm not sure other people would consider scribing as providing care directly to the patient. The part mentioning observing makes me question whether my scribe experience counts.
I'm a scribe as well, but at a teaching hospital so I have had opportunities with hands on patient experiences. I often talk to the patient directly and get them water, blankets, etc. Therefore, I think you would have to justify your answer if you put scribing. Hope this helps.

does the 1000 characters include spaces??

does the 1000 characters include spaces??

Yes it does. I'm finding that character counts for all these secondaries always include spaces. And if not, usually there is a word limit.

So I'm wondering if I should complete this secondary or not. I just discovered their average clinical/volunteer hours and I'm significantly short. (Also I'm so effing crispy from completing nearly 40 secondaries that I don't want to do challenging ones like this if I'm being 100% honest)

I have 1250 hours of scribing and 900 hours of ski patrolling for clinical stuff

I have 250 hours (with 100 projected) working on a crisis hotline and 30 hours (with 200 more projected) working on a text based crisis hotline.

3.8/516 half urm too.

Wondering if I should force myself to do this or not

So I'm wondering if I should complete this secondary or not. I just discovered their average clinical/volunteer hours and I'm significantly short. (Also I'm so effing crispy from completing nearly 40 secondaries that I don't want to do challenging ones like this if I'm being 100% honest)

I have 1250 hours of scribing and 900 hours of ski patrolling for clinical stuff

I have 250 hours (with 100 projected) working on a crisis hotline and 30 hours (with 200 more projected) working on a text based crisis hotline.

3.8/516 half urm too.

Wondering if I should force myself to do this or not
I think that you are golden. I'd apply here if you want to go here in your case!

hey guys so my primary was verified a few days ago and i haven't gotten my secondary yet. Does anyone know if they screen?

Do they look at your app in person if you do not have a 503 or automatically screen you out? I have a 502 but tons of community service and clinical.
sounds like something to ask them, maybe if you reach out they will still look at your application if they don't already

Received secondary, OOS URM. Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting an interview is since you received a secondary?

I think that you are golden. I'd apply here if you want to go here in your case!
Hey your clinical hours are amazing but the service hours lack for Rush since their averages are really high. I was told that we should have 1000+ at least for service to be competitive for Rush. I'm not sure if the service hours give you a good shot since Rush really cares about that. If you're not trying to go through the hassle of the secondary since you already have a lot on your plate then I feel like this would be a good school you can skip

Hmmm looking at their entering class of 2019 profile these are their average hours...
Average community service hours: 1015
Average health care exposure hours: 2796

So it looks like I'm pretty far below these. I think I may skip out on this secondary...

Hmmm looking at their entering class of 2019 profile these are their average hours...
Average community service hours: 1015
Average health care exposure hours: 2796

So it looks like I'm pretty far below these. I think I may skip out on this secondary...

Dang I'm applying because I have around that ballpark of service hours, but I didn't realize their healthcare exposure hours were that high... Maybe they only take people who work healthcare jobs beforehand to get that many hours :( got me rethinking my app too

Hey. For those who have received the secondary, is there a place to upload additional documents? I lumped all my community service together on my primary and used “999” for the hours because I had no space left in activities (non trad so had to combine a lot of activities into single entries to fit my entire premed timeline) and also didn’t specify in the description. But seeing comments on this thread, I’m def going to need to break it down for this school. Wondering if you all think there’s a place to do this? app just got verified so wanna know before I add them on