2020-2021 Texas Tech, Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Texas Tech University - Lubbock

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Yall - Texas Tech undergrad and med school grad here, staying for residency. If anyone has any questions about the school, Lubbock, or whatever, I am happy to answer them. Good luck to you guys! Hopefully I'll get to work with some of yall ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Yall - Texas Tech undergrad and med school grad here, staying for residency. If anyone has any questions about the school, Lubbock, or whatever, I am happy to answer them. Good luck to you guys! Hopefully I'll get to work with some of yall ;)

Interested in the Family Medicine Accelerated Track at Texas Tech. Any thoughts on the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interested in the Family Medicine Accelerated Track at Texas Tech. Any thoughts on the program?
If you know that you want to do Family Medicine going into medical school, I cannot recommend this program enough. Not only do you save a buttload of money (1 year of tuition, and they used to/may still give a scholarship that essentially covers another year of med school so you pay for 2 years total), but you also have a guaranteed residency spot at a Tech program, assuming you pass all your steps. You don't have to do your residency at Tech - you can still apply, but I think most people end up doing it just because the familiarity. Everyone in it that I knew really enjoyed their experiences!

Reactions: 1 user
Officially, you don’t have to do residency at Tech, but they have only let two people apply to outside programs for the Match. (That’s TWO since the program began... And those were very special cases.) So plan on doing FM residency at a Tech program—all of which are top notch.
...You don't have to do your residency at Tech - you can still apply, but I think most people end up doing it just because the familiarity. ...

Texas Tech Lubbock Secondary prompts 2020-2021 Notice that some of these are check-box or short answer so you have to wait to get it from them :)

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is responsible for providing primary health care to 108 counties of West Texas. We are interested in hearing about the areas of medicine that interest you.

Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest in the available text box.

1. Areas of interest: 100 words or less each
a. FMAT
b. Practicing in an underserved area
c. Rural health
d. Medical Research
e. Medical Academics
f. Primary Care
g. Border Health
h. Public Health
i. Other (Please describe below)

------

Supplemental Information

1. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.) (Yes/No)

2. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown? (300 words or less)

3. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (Where, what type of practice - clinic, hospital, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.). (300 words or less)

4. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (350 words or less) [Options are MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, MD/JD, or None of the above]

5. Have you experienced any hardship or adversity, personally or professionally? (Yes/No)

6. Are you applying to FMAT? (Yes/No)

7. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (300 words or less).

8. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties? (Yes/No)

9. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine? (Yes/No)

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 2 users
Officially, you don’t have to do residency at Tech, but they have only let two people apply to outside programs for the Match. (That’s TWO since the program began... And those were very special cases.) So plan on doing FM residency at a Tech program—all of which are top notch.
whoops! Appreciate the correction

Hello! I had a question about the MD/JD program if someone could answer it. Do we need to take the LSAT in order to be considered for the program? I am super interested in this dual degree. Law is something I am very passionate about as well as medicine and this would be awesome to pursue!

Submitted secondary and complete today 6/7, best luck to everyone!

I read on another post that they are offering people currently on the 2020 wait lists spots for fall 2021 due to COVID-19 issues.

Last edited:
I read on another post that they are offer people currently on the 2020 wait lists spots for fall 2021 due to COVID-19 issues.
Yes! They take a gap year at Baylor Med to prepare them for when they matriculate to Tech. It's awesome how they're doing that for them.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to answer the "ideal practice" question? Not sure if it's a "try to get to know you" and your ambitions question or a "relate to rural health" type of question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain what you mean?
Texas Tech is selecting a few of its current waitlisted applicants for fall 2021 EY. TMDSAS is allowing schools to do this due to the financial burdens potential re-applicants may face this year due to possible unemployment caused by COVID-19. So if Tech has any waitlisted students that they really like, they can offer them a spot for next year.

Texas Tech is selecting a few of its current waitlisted applicants for fall 2021 EY. TMDSAS is allowing schools to do this due to the financial burdens potential re-applicants may face this year due to possible unemployment caused by COVID-19. So if Tech has any waitlisted students that they really like, they can offer them a spot for next year.

Does that reduce the number of seats for this cycles applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone confirm whether or not the first question says "list" or "briefly describe"? The prompts here conflict with their website

for the "Area of Interests" section, i have an interest in primary care as i plan on pursuing IM.
however, i don't have any activities/experience in primary care.

what should i do?

Anybody have a clue about when IIs are gonna start rolling out? Seems like everything is pushed back a whole month for this cycle

for the "Area of Interests" section, i have an interest in primary care as i plan on pursuing IM.
however, i don't have any activities/experience in primary care.

what should i do?
You can still say that type of medicine interests you :)

Anybody have a clue about when IIs are gonna start rolling out? Seems like everything is pushed back a whole month for this cycle

I saw that last year, the first interview invite was reported as June 27, but the year before that it was June 8th. I would say it's up in the air, especially with this cycle but it is traditionally one of the first schools to send IIs.

Reactions: 1 users
I saw that last year, the first interview invite was reported as June 27, but the year before that it was June 8th. I would say it's up in the air, especially with this cycle but it is traditionally one of the first schools to send IIs.
Incoming Tech student here! Interview invites were pushed back last year because there was a problem with the system they used to submit secondaries, so everyone's secondaries were delayed. Things may be delayed due to COVID this year anyway but don't worry -- they send out interview invites for a long period of time!

Reactions: 4 users
This may sound dumb but I don't know what I should write about my recreational/ leisure activities in 300 words?? Idk I'm kinda struggling with that..

This may sound dumb but I don't know what I should write about my recreational/ leisure activities in 300 words?? Idk I'm kinda struggling with that..
What do you love about them? How do they keep you healthy or happy? Have you met your best friends doing them? Not everything needs to be related back to medicine.

Hello! I had a question about the MD/JD program if someone could answer it. Do we need to take the LSAT in order to be considered for the program? I am super interested in this dual degree. Law is something I am very passionate about as well as medicine and this would be awesome to pursue!
I was also interested in this program! If I remember correctly, you do have to take the LSAT, score above a certain threshold, and also apply for their law school. (Sorry this reply is like a month late lol)

Texas Tech Lubbock Secondary prompts 2020-2021 Notice that some of these are check-box or short answer so you have to wait to get it from them :)

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is responsible for providing primary health care to 108 counties of West Texas. We are interested in hearing about the areas of medicine that interest you.

Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest in the available text box.

1. Areas of interest: 100 words or less each
a. FMAT
b. Practicing in an underserved area
c. Rural health
d. Medical Research
e. Medical Academics
f. Primary Care
g. Border Health
h. Public Health
i. Other (Please describe below)

------

Supplemental Information

1. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.) (Yes/No)

2. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown? (300 words or less)

3. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (Where, what type of practice - clinic, hospital, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.). (300 words or less)

4. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (350 words or less) [Options are MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, MD/JD, or None of the above]

5. Have you experienced any hardship or adversity, personally or professionally? (Yes/No)

6. Are you applying to FMAT? (Yes/No)

7. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (300 words or less).

8. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties? (Yes/No)

9. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine? (Yes/No)

@TheDataKing

For the first question on the supplemental information section, what is the word count if there is one?

Yes they are all 300 except the last question (number 9) which is 200 words or less.

Is it a bad idea to say "no" to the hardship/adversity question? I could copy/paste a similar essay from UTMB's secondary, but the fact that it gives the option to say no makes me feel a bit better about not putting anything.

Is it a bad idea to say "no" to the hardship/adversity question? I could copy/paste a similar essay from UTMB's secondary, but the fact that it gives the option to say no makes me feel a bit better about not putting anything.
This is just my opinion but I think Its better to not put something than put something that sounds like you were just reaching to answer the prompt.

Reactions: 3 users
This is just my opinion but I think Its better to not put something than put something that sounds like you were just reaching to answer the prompt.
i agree. i did the same & put “no”.

for the interests, can we use one activity for 2 of them? for me practicing in underserved areas and practicing in rural areas can be very easily explained with one of my activities

I spoke to an advisor recently at TTUHSC, and she said it would be good to write a letter of intent when interview invites are out. Since I have a GPA of 3.46 with a 2 year DIY postbacc of 4.0 (brought it up from 3.19 to 3.46), do you think TTUHSC would look at me favoribly, or will I be lost in the thousands of applications they receive that have GPA's above mine? She also mentioned a letter of support from a student that it going there would be good to add on as well. How would I go about that? Thanks for the help!

I spoke to an advisor recently at TTUHSC, and she said it would be good to write a letter of intent when interview invites are out. Since I have a GPA of 3.46 with a 2 year DIY postbacc of 4.0 (brought it up from 3.19 to 3.46), do you think TTUHSC would look at me favoribly, or will I be lost in the thousands of applications they receive that have GPA's above mine? She also mentioned a letter of support from a student that it going there would be good to add on as well. How would I go about that? Thanks for the help!

Hey! I'm not super plugged in with the admissions people, but my understanding is that more recent coursework/higher level stuff is weighted more heavily. I think a postbacc of 4.0 definitely looks good from that perspective. As far as hard screens, I have no idea. I know of former classmates of mine with overall GPAs around yours though, so I don't think there is one? Sorry I can't be more specific.

A letter of support from a student is something I haven't heard of before though - I do not know how you could go about getting that without knowing a current student, or reaching out to one and trying to cultivate that relationship. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Best of luck!

For the favorite recreational/leisure activities question, is it fine if I talk about an activity that I talked about in one of the three tmdsas essays? I'm only asking this because that is my favorite activity.

for the interests, can we use one activity for 2 of them? for me practicing in underserved areas and practicing in rural areas can be very easily explained with one of my activities
That sounds like it shouldn't be a problem because there will be overlap sometimes

Has anyone found an online method to confirm TT Lubbock has received your CASPer score? Most schools have the status of your CASPer score listed in the application portal, but I can't seem to find that anywhere in TT Lubbock's online portal. If not, I'll just give them a call -- just wanted to crowdsource before calling.

Has anyone found an online method to confirm TT Lubbock has received your CASPer score? Most schools have the status of your CASPer score listed in the application portal, but I can't seem to find that anywhere in TT Lubbock's online portal. If not, I'll just give them a call -- just wanted to crowdsource before calling.
They do not have anywhere for you to confirm on the portal, calling is the best way to confirm!

What is "medical academics" and "border health"? I assume medical academics is research, but then there is already a medical research option. Is it teaching? For border health, does it have to do with the Texas/Mexico border ?
yes and yes

Is this just yes/no or is an explanation required?
I don't know the answer to that, as I can't see the portal as you applicants can.
Can anyone who has done this secondary chime in?
If you answer "yes", does a drop-down space appear for you to explain?

I don't know the answer to that, as I can't see the portal as you applicants can.
Can anyone who has done this secondary chime in?
If you answer "yes", does a drop-down space appear for you to explain?

You will have a checkbox for each "areas of interest" which you can check if that interest pertains to you. For those you select, you will have 100 words or less to explain each interest. cc: @erenyeager

Since I've seen these and similar questions popping up recently, I figured I would put this information in the thread for future reference. All information taken directly from COVID-19 Notices and Information | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
1. How will processing and review of applications be affected?
We expect to see a minimal change beyond the delays created by the cancellation of test dates and other unforeseen timeline changes. We will start reviewing applications as they are transmitted by the Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service (TMDSAS). Please make sure to visit their site for the most updated application timeline. Our holistic review process will provide us with the ability to review and process applications as we would normally do in any other cycle.
2. Many institutions have moved courses online, how will this affect the application review process?
As an institution, we truly value the holistic review of an application. We will continue to accept online coursework for this application cycle. TTUHSC School of Medicine will also accept pass/fail courses during this time period.

Our preference would be that courses be given a grade. If students have no other choice, we will review their coursework and make exceptions on a case-by-case basis for students that have taken courses from January 2020 through May 2020 and potentially through the summer of 2020.
3. How will interviews be impacted?
All upcoming interviews will be hosted virtually. Interviews will begin in September 2020.
4. Will I be overlooked if I have not taken my MCAT?
Applicants who have not yet taken the MCAT or who have not yet received their score will be eligible for an interview. The Admissions Selection Committee will require the MCAT as part of the holistic review and decision-making process for acceptance. Please note that TMDSAS does not require a MCAT to transmit an application.

We will be able to review an application as long as there is an official MCAT score report that has been taken within the last 5 years. Please follow the AAMC page on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and The MCAT Exam for the most current information.
5. If I finish courses remotely, will these courses still meet the requirement?
Yes, as long as the coursework is officially accepted and documented on your undergraduate transcript.
6. Will there be any concessions for required coursework?
Required prerequisites will remain the same. We will review transcripts after acceptance to determine if they are deficient on any of the required courses. We will evaluate each student on a case-by-case basis and provide them guidance on how to remedy deficiencies

Is anyone else having trouble paying for the secondary application?