2020-2021 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how much they value thank you letters? They mentioned that it was a nice touch, but im not really sure how to write a thank you letter for an MMI lol. I worry it will sound super generic, but will do it if it will really make a difference to them.
Like the other people said they did stress how much they like handwritten thank you notes. However, I don't think it's completely necessary to write one even though it's a nice gesture. I don't think the notes affect how you'll be graded and I was accepted without writing one even with below average stats. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t write one and got accepted. If you have time and want to write it then go for it but it doesn’t affect your app

I didn’t write one and got accepted. If you have time and want to write it then go for it but it doesn’t affect your app
Like the other people said they did stress how much they like handwritten thank you notes. However, I don't think it's completely necessary to write one even though it's a nice gesture. I don't think the notes affect how you'll be graded and I was accepted without writing one even with below average stats. It's really just a matter of personal preference.
I agree with both comments. It’s nice but won’t affect your chances in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we supposed to receive an acceptance packet/letter in the mail? Or is everything online?

Are we supposed to receive an acceptance packet/letter in the mail? Or is everything online?
I got an acceptance letter in the mail a month or so after I was accepted. Aside from that, everything has been online.

Anyone have any luck with update letters? Completed early August and updated mid-January and still radio silence. OOS. This is my top school!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Likewise sent an update letter in December and complete late september no news

Reactions: 2 users
I swear I had a dream last night that I was accepted into this school. Then I woke up and like now my dreams are crushed lol.

FYI, I interviewed today and the admissions dean told us that they will be interviewing into April. They said that right now they are two months behind the cycle timeline and are still in the December equivalent of a regular cycle. So for those still waiting, keep your head up. :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
FYI, I interviewed today and the admissions dean told us that they will be interviewing into April. They said that right now they are two months behind the cycle timeline and are still in the December equivalent of a regular cycle. So for those still waiting, keep your head up. :)

You have no idea how badly I needed to hear this. Cheers, mate!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Just to confirm, I completed the checklist for the interview, but every time I clear cookies and cache, it signs me out. Should I just clear it beforehand then sign into my account before my interview? Is anyone else having a similar problem? Sorry if this is a dumb question lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to confirm, I completed the checklist for the interview, but every time I clear cookies and cache, it signs me out. Should I just clear it beforehand then sign into my account before my interview? Is anyone else having a similar problem? Sorry if this is a dumb question lol
same thing happened to me! yes, you should be fine

Hello, has anyone done the MMI on the Chromium browser on a Linux computer? My Microsoft teams test was fine but their tech warnings have me scared straight. Don't have any computers w/Windows

Hello, has anyone done the MMI on the Chromium browser on a Linux computer? My Microsoft teams test was fine but their tech warnings have me scared straight. Don't have any computers w/Windows
They are rather strict about using Windows. I think it will work but the prompts and teams won't automatically pop up. You can always partition your drive and install and boot into windows just to be safe

has anyone gotten in with a 510 mcat?
I have. Having below average stats for the school isn't a death sentence as long as you have other good activities and show your passion in your writing.

Pleasantly surprised by an II this evening! Complete in mid July OOS and I sent an update letter early December.

Reactions: 7 users
They are rather strict about using Windows. I think it will work but the prompts and teams won't automatically pop up. You can always partition your drive and install and boot into windows just to be safe
Yeah you're right shouldn't risk it :p

I’m not sure why Cincinnati over-complicates its virtual interview format. You need Windows, system test runs, clearing cookies and caches, etc. Many other schools have a rather seamless video platform. I hope they work on this in the future.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why a Cincinnati over-complicates its virtual interview format. You need Windows, system test runs, clearing cookies and caches, etc. Many other schools have a rather seamless video platform. I hope they work on this in the future.
Yeah, their reason is that the MMI works “better” in their system (and their system requires a windows computer) but all my other MMIs have been on zoom and they were just fine.

Seems like mid January interview decisions should be due this week? Seems like they're on a pattern of 2 weeks usually early in the week.

I’m not sure why Cincinnati over-complicates its virtual interview format. You need Windows, system test runs, clearing cookies and caches, etc. Many other schools have a rather seamless video platform. I hope they work on this in the future.
Yeah not sure, I will say it did work rather seamlessly and I got the full time per MMI. Other MMIs I did we were moved individually from room to room so sometimes I would get moved too early or too late and lose ~30 seconds. Not sure if benefits outweigh the costs here but I had no issues apart from having to 2 factor back into every single website I use since cookies were cleared. Though, I still need to return this webcam I bought for my PC lol

Seems like mid January interview decisions should be due this week? Seems like they're on a pattern of 2 weeks usually early in the week.
I was right, just accepted via phone call! Interview 1/19

• Love
Just got my acceptance call! :soexcited: I interviewed 1/26

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I think it's worth writing a thank you letter even if it's somewhat generic. Cincinnati has put a lot of work into their interview days and virtual second looks.

Also when I interviewed they really stressed how much they appreciate thank you letters and that you can even add a thank you letter as an update to your app or email it to them.

I don't think a thank you letter will make or break your app but it's a simple gesture to show further interest. I got accepted at UCCOM and I'm a pretty good applicant but I think a big part of them choosing me was saying how much I loved Cincinnati and its culture in my secondary essays and also the thank you letter I sent.
what exactly do you mean by its culture? or what aspects of its culture do you like so much? genuinely curious!

got my acceptance call half an hour ago! so excited!! interviewed 1/22

• Love
I got the acceptance call earlier in the afternoon as well! Interviewed at the end of January.

• Love
Also got the call this evening! Was surprised that it was a student haha, idk if that was mentioned before (I probably just forgot)

• Love
what exactly do you mean by its culture? or what aspects of its culture do you like so much? genuinely curious!
I’m from Southern IN and visit Cinci often. In my secondary essays I mentioned loving the city, specifically the Cincinnati Art Museum and the food, and that I would have familial support nearby during med school. Also said I’d be proud to go to this school and be a part of its strong history of training great clinicians.

I didn’t realize it at the time of writing but UCCOM is really proud of their city and history so I think I unintentionally said all the things they wanted to hear (at least for the why Cincinnati question.)

Also after interviewing and going to the most recent virtual second look I’d say one thing I really appreciate about the med school’s culture is the support for medical students. The current students mention over and over how supportive the faculty and administration are and that they’ll be there for you throughout your training. Perhaps other current students may have other opinions but this is what I’ve picked up on.

I’m from Southern IN and visit Cinci often. In my secondary essays I mentioned loving the city, specifically the Cincinnati Art Museum and the food, and that I would have familial support nearby during med school. Also said I’d be proud to go to this school and be a part of its strong history of training great clinicians.

I didn’t realize it at the time of writing but UCCOM is really proud of their city and history so I think I unintentionally said all the things they wanted to hear (at least for the why Cincinnati question.)

Also after interviewing and going to the most recent virtual second look I’d say one thing I really appreciate about the med school’s culture is the support for medical students. The current students mention over and over how supportive the faculty and administration are and that they’ll be there for you throughout your training. Perhaps other current students may have other opinions but this is what I’ve picked up on.
Wait they do multiple second looks?

Omg just got an II not too long ago! OOS, LM ~75, Complete early September.

Unfortunately I'm not available for the interview date they offered later this month, so I'll be emailing to hopefully reschedule!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II just now (yes 10:14PM) lol

Complete mid July, in-state. Interviewed here in 18-19 cycle as well.

• Love
I have to run the system test tonight but wanted to ask if anyone was able to do the interview with a chromebook? I’m having a b*tch of a time trying to find a PC.

• Haha
I have to run the system test tonight but wanted to ask if anyone was able to do the interview with a chromebook? I’m having a b*tch of a time trying to find a PC.
I specifically asked admin about using a Chromebook and they said 'no'.

I used a chromebook and it worked out just fine for me!

Annnnnnd got an II! Can't believe it!!! I figured there was no way.

Complete early August.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
for those who have interviewed, what time does the interview day typically end?

I think they have different groups interviewing at the same time because my portal said 'PM interview group 'A and it began around noon EST and ended around 5pm after watching some recorded presentations

my email said the entire day would be 5.5 hours I believe

(have not yet interviewed)

I think they have different groups interviewing at the same time because my portal said 'PM interview group 'A and it began around noon EST and ended around 5pm after watching some recorded presentations
thanks! mine starts from 7.45am so i guess it should end at 1ish

Could any current students describe how easy is it to live in Kentucky and to be able to find other med students as roommates? I am OOS and that in-state tuition looks mighty juicy haha

II just now for 03/05... kind of thinking this is a mistake because my stats are not even in range of UC's averages....

If it ends up not being a mistake, do I have to confirm the invitation now since it's more than 8 days away? I'd like to take some time to write the additional essays. Also, any tips for UC's MMI?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II just now for 03/05... kind of thinking this is a mistake because my stats are not even in range of UC's averages....

If it ends up not being a mistake, do I have to confirm the invitation now since it's more than 8 days away? I'd like to take some time to write the additional essays. Also, any tips for UC's MMI?
I got one also with average stats. Its not a mistake!! you rock.

• Care