2020-2021 University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would love to hear where most of the med students live and what are the safest (but affordable) areas.
I am not a student FYI but most students live either downtown in an apartment or mud island/harbor town area in my experience

edit: safest would be East mem and driving to school honestly. Downtown Memphis is not that safe but most apartments are around $1000 for a 1bd right in the middle of downtown.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a student FYI but most students live either downtown in an apartment or mud island/harbor town area in my experience

edit: safest would be East mem and driving to school honestly. Downtown Memphis is not that safe but most apartments are around $1000 for a 1bd right in the middle of downtown.
This is helpful. Thanks for the info!

I went to Rhodes College which is in Memphis and midtown is a great place to live. I live in Cooper-Young and it’s a great environment. Some kids I know live on mud island which they say feels safe but the only downside is it’s a little far from food/grocery. I agree East Memphis is safe! But I would always recommend midtown over anything else just because it’s fun :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Rhodes College which is in Memphis and midtown is a great place to live. I live in Cooper-Young and it’s a great environment. Some kids I know live on mud island which they say feels safe but the only downside is it’s a little far from food/grocery. I agree East Memphis is safe! But I would always recommend midtown over anything else just because it’s fun :)
Also, I know some UTHSC med students live in Crosstown Concourse because UT had a discount with them for apartment prices. I’m not sure if that’s still available. Crosstown is a little closer to downtown than most places in “midtown”.

Reactions: 1 user
Does the same apply for families? I'm married with kids. Do most student families stay in the same areas?
I’m honestly not completely sure, but I would guess that student families would base their living decisions off of school districts. My boyfriend has spent his whole life here and he says that the school districts out East are better than those closer to downtown. If you’re going private school then I guess that wouldn’t really affect your decision. There are families where I live in Cooper-Young. I knew a family that used to live on mud island and they liked it, I also know of families that live out East. I think you would just have to feel the area out and decide what works best for you

Midtown is great! I tried to live there during college but houses kept getting snagged lol. Definitely avoid anything south of Park near midtown but good area overall. Also agree about mud island- there’s cordelias for food and that’s it!

So UTHSC isn't even gonna start sending interview invitations before other schools start sending regular decision acceptances on October 15th? The absolute madlads
Disagree. It actually means they're taking COVID into account with regards to application disruptions and such... or maybe they're just late idk. Either way, I'm fine with it

Disagree. It actually means they're taking COVID into account with regards to application disruptions and such... or maybe they're just late idk. Either way, I'm fine with it
Nope. They’re always this late lol.

• Haha
I thought last year II's started going on October 1st?
Yes give or take a week or two. Yall just wait for admissions decisions lol. Friend interviewed in Nov/Dec, decision in like April. He was waitlisted and got the call to go to class a week before it started.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Yes give or take a week or two. Yall just wait for admissions decisions lol. Friend interviewed in Nov/Dec, decision in like April. He was waitlisted and got the call to go to class a week before it started.
When I interned at St. Jude, UTHSC admissions told us a story just like this lmao

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
When I interned at St. Jude, UTHSC admissions told us a story just like this lmao
In my experience, this isn't the exception, its the rule lol. I only know 1 friend who got interviewed and accepted pretty quickly. To be fair he was the smartest guy I've known.

Did anyone else receive the "Our college uses the MedAdmit email service, please be sure your email system is not flagging these emails as spam?" Do y'all think this means interview invites soon?

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone else receive the "Our college uses the MedAdmit email service, please be sure your email system is not flagging these emails as spam?" Do y'all think this means interview invites soon?

+5

Think all applicants got it, but I heard from someone at UTHSC that they'd be starting interviews end of the month, so not 100% if that means start sending or interview dates begin end of month, but hopefully very soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats, do you mind my asking what were your stats, completion date, and whether you were invited by email or through phone?
LM 75, I did my secondary the first day they sent it (don't remember when), and I was invited via email! sending positive thoughts your way :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite received (emailed). All those fine details we all love: Received and submitted their secondary at the very end of August. IS, ORM, 4.0 GPA, 518 MCAT, pretty standard amounts of clinical experience, clinical volunteering, and shadowing, a lot of research hours in both basic sciences and translational research, and strong LORs.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
LM 75, I did my secondary the first day they sent it (don't remember when), and I was invited via email! sending positive thoughts your way :)
Great! Thanks so much, we have about similar stats (LM = 72) and I also completed the first day so hopefully, I will hear something soon. Good luck with your interview!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
II!!!!! This is my first one of the cycle so I'm super hype. IS, 515, 3.95, complete mid-september

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if they screen out subsections below 125? I scored a 124 on CARS and submitted my secondary the first day. I’m worried my score may have caused me to get screened out.

Does anyone know if they screen out subsections below 125? I scored a 124 on CARS and submitted my secondary the first day. I’m worried my score may have caused me to get screened out.
I would email them, it looks like everyone shouldve gotten a secondary this year.

I would email them, it looks like everyone shouldve gotten a secondary this year.
I received a secondary and completed it, but there was some wording on the Selection Factors page. “The average medical college admissions test [MCAT] score for classes recently admitted to the College of Medicine has been a total of 511 with sub scores of 125 or better in each area”. This makes me a little fearful that my 124 CARS will be screened out post-secondary.

For those who got II invites, congrats! Would ya'll mind sharing the dates of the interviews? Are interviews one, two, three weeks out, etc.? Wondering how much has changed this cycle... Thanks for sharing stats and information.

For those who got II invites, congrats! Would ya'll mind sharing the dates of the interviews? Are interviews one, two, three weeks out, etc.? Wondering how much has changed this cycle... Thanks for sharing stats and information.
Invite Thursday, first available day was Monday

My options were Monday through Wednesday for this week or next week

I received a secondary and completed it, but there was some wording on the Selection Factors page. “The average medical college admissions test [MCAT] score for classes recently admitted to the College of Medicine has been a total of 511 with sub scores of 125 or better in each area”. This makes me a little fearful that my 124 CARS will be screened out post-secondary.
That’s just the avg tho, i would email

They gave you the option of 4-ish different days in the next two weeks following your invite email

Anyone know if they are receptive to updates/how to send updates? I know they're doing things differently this year, so I'm curious if things changed with updates.

Anyone know if they are receptive to updates/how to send updates? I know they're doing things differently this year, so I'm curious if things changed with updates.

I emailed and asked this last week and they are receptive and said to email a word doc or pdf and they would upload to your file!!

I sent an update and requested it be placed in my file. They responded quickly, were receptive, and very polite! Best of luck.

SAME! Tested on 28Sep, so I am very thankful for the delay. Best of luck!
You may want to keep in touch with them about if they have gotten your scores yet. I emailed today asking if my scores were in my file yet (they’re already in my AMCAS application) and they said that they were NOT in their system yet. They told me to wait another week and reach out again to see if my scores had made it into “Weadmit” yet.

You may want to keep in touch with them about if they have gotten your scores yet. I emailed today asking if my scores were in my file yet (they’re already in my AMCAS application) and they said that they were NOT in their system yet. They told me to wait another week and reach out again to see if my scores had made it into “Weadmit” yet.

Thank you for the heads up! :)

Has anyone that interviewed received approval for the financial aid webinar tonight?