2020-2021 University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone that’s already interviewed this year, are interviews still open file?

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone, current M1 at UTHSC. just making myself available for any questions. this process was stressful enough last year so i cannot imagine it during the pandemic & I applaud you all for getting this far.

(can definitely verify that UT is notoriously slow though, every year, pandemic or not)

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, current M1 at UTHSC. just making myself available for any questions. this process was stressful enough last year so i cannot imagine it during the pandemic & I applaud you all for getting this far.

(can definitely verify that UT is notoriously slow though, every year, pandemic or not)

How does UTHSC notify of acceptances? Do they call or is it an email notification?

How does UTHSC notify of acceptances? Do they call or is it an email notification?

I also got a phone call, although mine was around 7pm Eastern Time. I got the acceptance package in the mail around a week later.

(If it's the same as last year, prior to getting the acceptance call Dianne Harris will email you to complete a survey from interview day and that's her little 'wink wink, nudge nudge' that you have an acceptance letter in the mail and will receive the phone call soon)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Acceptance call today at 6 pm EST!!! No survey beforehand like last year’s acceptances.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted! Just got the call from Dr. Fulton. Interviewed 10/27

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got an acceptance call a few hours after the last post!! :soexcited: It might take a while between calls it seems!

Reactions: 4 users
I received an acceptance phone call yesterday around 5 pm CST. I have not received any survey emails or acceptance packages in the mail. I interviewed on 10/27.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you waiting to hear anything, have hope! I applied last year as a senior in college and was what I believed to be a competitive applicant (ended up with six MD acceptances). UTHSC was the last school to offer me an interview. I did not interview at UTHSC until mid-spring but still got a relatively quick A. I say all this because I was panicked for seven months waiting for any contact lol. If you're instate and have good stats, be patient!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
My first II!!! I'm crying and so nervous at the same time! They schedule interviews only for a week out at a time so very fast turnaround. Any tips from past interviewers, dress code, etc.? My interview is next Tuesday 11/17.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Also for anyone wondering: 513(124 CARS)/3.99, OOS w/ties (Born in Chattanooga, Father is alumni), ORM, Complete: 9/8

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
My first II!!! I'm crying and so nervous at the same time! They schedule interviews only for a week out at a time so very fast turnaround. Any tips from past interviewers, dress code, etc.? My interview is next Tuesday 11/17.
This was my most laid back interview so far. I very much felt like they want to build you up and learn about you rather than grill you (says a lot about the school imo). Youll want to think about a couple ethical dilemas (how youd navigate them) and mostly just what your motivation is for going to medicine. Formal dress just like any other interview, be yourself, and good luck!

• Care
This was my most laid back interview so far. I very much felt like they want to build you up and learn about you rather than grill you (says a lot about the school imo). Youll want to think about a couple ethical dilemas (how youd navigate them) and mostly just what your motivation is for going to medicine. Formal dress just like any other interview, be yourself, and good luck!
I second all of this. My interviewers as well as Dr. Fulton, who facilitated the rest of the day, were so welcoming. I definitely didn't get asked any super tough or tricky questions, they were all very standard and conversational!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I second all of this. My interviewers as well as Dr. Fulton, who facilitated the rest of the day, were so welcoming. I definitely didn't get asked any super tough or tricky questions, they were all very standard and conversational!
Thank you both so much for this! I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: 1 users
can anybody tell me what their policy is on updates/LOI?

They are very responsive to updates, but it is really early to think about sending one out. UTHSC is very slow and will get to you if you have good stats.

I spoke to the former dean of admissions about LOI a few months ago and he said that they didn’t really care about them and that there wasn’t much of a point...not sure if this is different now that he’s gone though

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke to the former dean of admissions about LOI a few months ago and he said that they didn’t really care about them and that there wasn’t much of a point...not sure if this is different now that he’s gone though
With that said, I don’t think it would hurt and he didn’t specifically say that they don’t allow LOI. He just said that applicants in the past have written compelling LOI and then ended up picking a different school so they don’t really take them seriously

They are very responsive to updates, but it is really early to think about sending one out. UTHSC is very slow and will get to you if you have good stats.
i guess i'm meaning more of the LOI. I'm OOS with ties and just want to express my strong interest in hopes that maybe they'll give me an II

• Care
With that said, I don’t think it would hurt and he didn’t specifically say that they don’t allow LOI. He just said that applicants in the past have written compelling LOI and then ended up picking a different school so they don’t really take them seriously
that's fair lol. but i guess it couldn't hurt

Accepted! Just got the call. Interviewed 11/11

Reactions: 9 users
I received an acceptance phone call yesterday around 5 pm CST. I have not received any survey emails or acceptance packages in the mail. I interviewed on 10/27.
Hi Kmaner24. Good to hear you got accepted ! Hoping to hear back from UTHSC soon!

Do we need to pay that $75 processing fee right away after being accepted or can I procrastinate that a few months?