2020-2021 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received the “can’t offer interview right now but will reach out as spots open” over a month ago :-((
Do I assume I won’t get an interview since it’s just been so long since that email?

I’m in the same boat. Is this a soft R?

Members don't see this ad.

after interviewing is it normal for the interview tab in the portal to give you an error message/page? idk why mine does that

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have been accepted: any thoughts on thank you letters post interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you write anything specific in the email you sent ? Or do you kind of just say attached is my letter of intent?
I was already communicating with them prior to sending the letter. Once I received their approval, I sent the letter and they confirmed with me that it was added to my file for review. It was a very straightforward email stating my full name, AACOMAS ID, and letter of intent.

Anybody got off the interview waitlist yet? That is where I am with this school.

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current student comment on the *attrition* rate at UIWSOM and are students able to get federal loans despite the lack of full accreditation?

I interview tomorrow - my second interview ever, any last-minute advice is greatly appreciated!
The only thing I really studied for this is reviewing common ethics questions and course grinder mmi on youtube.

I interview tomorrow - my second interview ever, any last-minute advice is greatly appreciated!
The only thing I really studied for this is reviewing common ethics questions and course grinder mmi on youtube.

After going through it myself, I think the best advice I can give would to be flexible. There are going to be stations where you are blank, but try to remain calm and connect the unknown (difficult questions) to what you do know and let your personality shine through it all. Oh yeah, and SMILE! Everyone is super nice or at least neutral, go kill it!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I just interviewed here Monday and it was really chill. I watched a few MMI videos on YouTube and just looked over some basic ethics questions. They'll ask you MMI style questions to test your critical thinking. Also Why UIWSOM and why DO etc. they were very welcoming and made me feel less nervous so I pray the same goes for yours! :) PM me if you have any extra questions but overall I think since you prepared so well you'll do fine!

Interview is over and dare I say it, I had fun with the MMIs. I thought that I was 100% headed to ATSU-SOMA but if I get into UIW, my wife and I are going to have a decision to make.

Reactions: 3 users
Interview is over and dare I say it, I had fun with the MMIs. I thought that I was 100% headed to ATSU-SOMA but if I get into UIW, my wife and I are going to have a decision to make.
Glad it went well for you! I’m a veteran as well and am really hoping for an A from this school. I love how veteran friendly the seem.

Interviewed here today, I'm really excited and hope I get the A. I felt like I had my best interview ever (minus 1 moment lol)

Just now waitlisted. Interviewed 1/25 :(

Last edited:
  • Care
Applied Oct 30. II invite in Novemer, interview 1/25 , accepted a few mins ago. God is good

Reactions: 3 users
me too... I thought it went so well. :(
I feel you :(. If it’s any solace, I’ve been looking at past years SDN forums and it looks like there is plenty of waitlist movement between March all the way to July. Gotta stay optimistic

• Care
I feel you :(. If it’s any solace, I’ve been looking at past years SDN forums and it looks like there is plenty of waitlist movement between March all the way to July. Gotta stay optimistic
I just keep telling myself the waitlist isn't a rejection... yet. 😬 I haven't seen any post interview R's around here... have you? Makes me kind of wonder if everyone who isn't immediately accepted is waitlisted. That's good news about the waitlist movement! Fingers crossed for both of us.

I just keep telling myself the waitlist isn't a rejection... yet. 😬 I haven't seen any post interview R's around here... have you? Makes me kind of wonder if everyone who isn't immediately accepted is waitlisted. That's good news about the waitlist movement! Fingers crossed for both of us.
People are definitely getting rejected, waitlist isn’t a bad place to be. There’s going to be a ton of movement soon

Can anyone speak to whether or not this school allows for outside rotations? For example I know they’re heavy on primary care which I’m interested in but have been somewhat interested in pm&r as well and was wondering if the school provides resources for students interested I that field prof students are allowed to rotate elsewhere to get now exposure in that field if they needed?

Can anyone speak to whether or not this school allows for outside rotations? For example I know they’re heavy on primary care which I’m interested in but have been somewhat interested in pm&r as well and was wondering if the school provides resources for students interested I that field prof students are allowed to rotate elsewhere to get now exposure in that field if they needed?
Someone actually asked about this during my interview and they do allow for outside rotations based in the US... the admissions person said they are happy to assist students set these up. He also mentioned they are not prepared to support international rotations at this time.

• Love
Someone actually asked about this during my interview and they do allow for outside rotations based in the US... the admissions person said they are happy to assist students set these up. He also mentioned they are not prepared to support international rotations at this time.
Thanks so much !! I forgot to ask about it during my interview smh so I really appreciate it!

• Love
Verified 10/5, received secondary 10/8, complete 10/22, interview invitation 12/15, interviewed 1/25, accepted 2/5. Good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Glad it went well for you! I’m a veteran as well and am really hoping for an A from this school. I love how veteran friendly the seem.
I’m an 11.5 year Army vet and was accepted, definitely agree they seem very appreciative of vets given their location and military connection. Hope to see lots of vets in our class!

I’m an 11.5 year Army vet and was accepted, definitely agree they seem very appreciative of vets given their location and military connection. Hope to see lots of vets in our class!
Also tons of miltary families to provide care for in San Antonio

I got waitlisted but so happy for you! Congrats!

Sooo I just received an email about their February information session events.... I interviewed last Monday and now I’m wondering if this is a sign? Does this email get sent to those who may get the R?

Sooo I just received an email about their February information session events.... I interviewed last Monday and now I’m wondering if this is a sign? Does this email get sent to those who may get the R?

I also got this email and was accepted but declined my offer back in December. I’m assuming it got sent to everyone in their mailing list

• Care
I also got this email and was accepted but declined my offer back in December. I’m assuming it got sent to everyone in their mailing list
Whew 😅 ok thank you so much! I may still have a chance

Did you guys write a post-ii thank you? There were so many people I don't even know who to address it to.

Is anyone else really worried about living on ~$20k a year during medschool? Does getting roommates help?

Is anyone else really worried about living on ~$20k a year during medschool? Does getting roommates help?
I have been thinking about it, specially as someone who already has a stable income that supports my lifestyle. At least my plan is to save as much money as I can before starting medical school and leave some doors open to work during summers, as I can. Also, you might be interested in looking for scholarships in addition to the ones provided at UIWSOM. Might be helpful to start budgeting everything and prioritizing. I did it when I completed my Master’s and I know is not easy but is doable. It will take buying smarter and maybe sacrificing some luxuries. Being a student is tough! I wish you the best Doc!!