2020-2021 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not really no, my girlfriend's family does live there but that's about it!
When was your whole app complete (including MCAT)?

Members don't see this ad.

Well there's no secondary app! But I completed and submitted the TMDSAS app on 06/02.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey friends! I am a brand new M1 at Long (OOS), and I just wanted to wish you all a successful cycle! I'm happy to answer any questions, though to be fair, because I am so new I probably won't have all the answers. I'll do my best, though. :)

Good luck! Can't wait to meet some of you in the future!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really no, my girlfriend's family does live there but that's about it!
can I ask where she lives? I'm in the same boat - my boyfriend is from Texas and attending McGovern this year. I was born here but have no ties to the state besides that.

can I ask where she lives? I'm in the same boat - my boyfriend is from Texas and attending McGovern this year. I was born here but have no ties to the state besides that.
guys, you don't have to demonstrate ties to Texas to get accepted as an OOS applicant.
You do have to have excellent stats near or above the median for the schools to get a chance at an interview.

guys, you don't have to demonstrate ties to Texas to get accepted as an OOS applicant.
You do have to have excellent stats near or above the median for the schools to get a chance at an interview.

Do in state applicants get interviews first? I'm asking generally, i understand there are always exceptions.

@wysdoc i know you can't say for sure, but what would you say my chances are with a 515 and a 3.75 GPA?

Do in state applicants get interviews first? I'm asking generally, i understand there are always exceptions.

@wysdoc i know you can't say for sure, but what would you say my chances are with a 515 and a 3.75 GPA?
No the interviews for IS/OOS are not held on separate days or anything.
You can look up median accepted OOS GPA and MCAT on MSAR.

Has anyone here done the SOWVI?

I did it. It's two questions, but you get to do as many takes as you like. Very similar to the Dell video secondary, but a bit shorter. The tutorial is very detailed, which was helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone here done the SOWVI?
Dr. Kellaway did great at answering any question you might have in the video instructions and it's honestly super chill! They just want to get to know you further. No grilling questions or anything. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I did it. It's two questions, but you get to do as many takes as you like. Very similar to the Dell video secondary, but a bit shorter. The tutorial is very detailed, which was helpful.
Dr. Kellaway did great at answering any question you might have in the video instructions and it's honestly super chill! They just want to get to know you further. No grilling questions or anything. :)

Awesome, thanks a lot guys!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain in detail the SOWVI? What to wear, expect, etc? :)

shoutout to those who got II today also :claps:

Has anyone interviewed yet? If you have, could you please share about your interview experience (especially how it may be different from previous years with it being virtual) :) Thanks!

Last edited:
How long after transmission did it take y'all to get the acknowledgement email?

Can someone explain what (if any) the difference between SOWVI and the virtual interview is? I got the following email today saying that my application was received. Then, I followed the link into it and it invited me to complete the SOWVI. Did I get an interview or is this just given to all applicants?

I see that all interviewed applicants are invited to do the SOWVI, but are all applicants invited to do SOWVI.

Also, is there a portal to check on the status of my application?

Thanks!

1597338599611.png

Reactions: 1 users
There's no portal until you receive an interview invite. That email is sent to all applicants once they've received your application from TMDSAS. You should only complete the SOWVI once you've been invited. The SOWVI is just an additional video interview (on demand, no interviewer) while the virtual interview is a standard interview day but conducted via Zoom. You should receive the invitation as a separate email than the one pictured. Good luck!

Can someone explain what (if any) the difference between SOWVI and the virtual interview is? I got the following email today saying that my application was received. Then, I followed the link into it and it invited me to complete the SOWVI. Did I get an interview or is this just given to all applicants?

I see that all interviewed applicants are invited to do the SOWVI, but are all applicants invited to do SOWVI.

Also, is there a portal to check on the status of my application?

Thanks!

View attachment 315729

There's no portal until you receive an interview invite. That email is sent to all applicants once they've received your application from TMDSAS. You should only complete the SOWVI once you've been invited. The SOWVI is just an additional video interview (on demand, no interviewer) while the virtual interview is a standard interview day but conducted via Zoom. You should receive the invitation as a separate email than the one pictured. Good luck!
Thanks for clarifying!

How similar is the SOWVI to the AAMC VITA? Seems like pretty much the same thing from what I can see.

How similar is the SOWVI to the AAMC VITA? Seems like pretty much the same thing from what I can see.
Idk anything about the VITA, but the actual admissions committee members ask the questions in the SOWVI for Long thru videos. You have as many chances to record yourself and submit when you are ready.

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning! IS, LM 73, complete 7/17

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I know traditionally Long has always stated they are NOT pre-match heavy. I always wondered what this meant in terms of numerical values and in Dr. Kellaway's interview videos, she mentioned they could possibly pre-match up to 50% of seats this year. Just thought it was an interesting fact she pointed out! Doesn't mean they will prematch 50% of the class, just depends on how much they like applicants.

If that's their definition of not "prematch" heavy, I wonder if other schools like UTMB, who are prematch heavy, have percentages up to like 75% or something. Goodluck y'all!!

I know traditionally Long has always stated they are NOT pre-match heavy. I always wondered what this meant in terms of numerical values and in Dr. Kellaway's interview videos, she mentioned they could possibly pre-match up to 50% of seats this year. Just thought it was an interesting fact she pointed out! Doesn't mean they will prematch 50% of the class, just depends on how much they like applicants.

If that's their definition of not "prematch" heavy, I wonder if other schools like UTMB, who are prematch heavy, have percentages up to like 75% or something. Goodluck y'all!!
She may be changing her strategy this year.
Last year she said she intended to fill almost the whole class through the match, and on SDN I only saw a handful of prematch offers, in November and December.
This year is going to be out of whack. If prematch period goes all the way to Jan 31, and applicants have to have their rank list turned in by Feb 19, it would be foolish for any school not to give some prematch offers, if only to prevent the anxiety of those who want Long.

I saw several videos in which Dr. Kellaway indicated that SOWVI is an additional way to assess an applicant but not required for the applicant to do (i.e. optional). Are there anyone that is deciding not to do SOWVI?

I saw several videos in which Dr. Kellaway indicated that SOWVI is an additional way to assess an applicant but not required for the applicant to do (i.e. optional). Are there anyone that is deciding not to do SOWVI?
If anyone is on the fence about completing the SOWVI I would say to go for it. It’s made to be low stress and with unlimited takes you really have the chance to practice and showcase yourself and your personality in addition to the interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Recently did the interview with Long and honestly, the school is underrated. their curriculum is very unique and I believe prepares you to be the best possible physician. their prectorship program and clinical skills emphasis really made Long to be one of my top schools now. I'm not sure about other schools (haven't done deep research yet) but Long is really a top school.

Reactions: 11 users
Recently did the interview with Long and honestly, the school is underrated. their curriculum is very unique and I believe prepares you to be the best possible physician. their prectorship program and clinical skills emphasis really made Long to be one of my top schools now. I'm not sure about other schools (haven't done deep research yet) but Long is really a top school.
What was the interview like? I have my first one on Friday and I'm excited and nervous lol Did they ask you any curveball questions?

What was the interview like? I have my first one on Friday and I'm excited and nervous lol Did they ask you any curveball questions?
It was my first interview as well last Friday and it felt like a good conversation. No curveball questions, they really are trying to get to know you and also show you why Long is the place for you. SUPER welcoming atmosphere, I loved my experience.

Reactions: 6 users
It was my first interview as well last Friday and it felt like a good conversation. No curveball questions, they really are trying to get to know you and also show you why Long is the place for you. SUPER welcoming atmosphere, I loved my experience.
I agree! It was such a great experience. Very conversational and they really want you to showcase who you are and why you'd be a great fit there!! For sure at the top of my rank list :)

Reactions: 5 users
Just like the other 2 posters, It was really nice and comfortable. honestly I'm glad they were my first interview cause it really removed the stress of interviews in general. I was apprehensive that I won't be able to talk for at least 30 minutes, but time flew by. great school.

Reactions: 4 users
Just like the other 2 posters, It was really nice and comfortable. honestly I'm glad they were my first interview cause it really removed the stress of interviews in general. I was apprehensive that I won't be able to talk for at least 30 minutes, but time flew by. great school.
also to add: Dr. K is probably the nicest person ever

Reactions: 8 users
also to add: Dr. K is probably the nicest person ever

Yes, she very is. I had her as one of my interviewers (which came as a surprise) and we had a pleasant chat. She really helped ease the tension.

Hello everyone. Would you recommend doing the SOWVI even before you're invited for an interview? Is it even possible to do prior to an interview invite? Thankss

Hello everyone. Would you recommend doing the SOWVI even before you're invited for an interview? Is it even possible to do prior to an interview invite? Thankss
It wouldn't be beneficial cause they only look @ it after you interview when they decide for acceptance. So, I'd just say to wait :)

YAY CONGRATS!!!!! Do you mind me asking when you were complete? Did they email or was it through portal?
I got the email from them on 7/27 that I was under review

I'm so happy that y'all are having a great time on your interviews! We really miss seeing everyone walking around campus on interview days, but we're trying to make the most of these virtual interviews.

I'm a MS2 at Long and happy to answer any questions about the school/San Antonio/life as a med student! :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Dr. K noticed there's been a few questions about the SOWVI and wanted to make sure that everyone got their answers. So I'm paraphrasing some info from her!

The SOWVI (Standard One-Way Video Interview) is an additional tool that allows you to showcase yourself (think of it like an additional LOR). It's made up of 2 questions that you will video record your response to and submit on the portal. You can check out the questions on your amp portal and come back to it later, no need to complete it right then and there. Feel free to take as much time as you want to prepare and even use notes if you want to. You're able to do as many takes as you'd like before you submit.

The SOWVI is completely optional and available for every applicant to complete, no need to wait for an interview invite. It's also available for the adcom to watch pre-interview invite. Our one "deadline" for the SOWVI is your interview day, so the adcom has access to your whole application during their meetings post-interview. Dr. K really wanted to emphasize that when she says the SOWVI is optional, she really means it! If you don't feel like doing it for one reason or another- don't!

If y'all have any other Qs about the SOWVI, I'm happy to relay them to Dr. K :)

Reactions: 12 users
I received an invitation for interview at long, but cannot find any link about sowvi anywhere. where do you find this?

I received an invitation for interview at long, but cannot find any link about sowvi anywhere. where do you find this?
I had received the link in an email that said my app was complete and under review.

Has anyone heard anything from this school? I transmitted ~July 15-17, but never heard back :/ also anxious because I haven't received II from anywhere

Received an II! Complete email received on 06/26!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard anything from this school? I transmitted ~July 15-17, but never heard back :/ also anxious because I haven't received II from anywhere
No news for me either, transmitted July 3. I worked in a lab here for 2.5yr; if they don't like me I really screwed up lmao

I was transmitted around the same time frame, and I received a “complete and under review” email ~1 week after they received my application. Might be worth reaching out to their office if you never got that email.