You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Virginia Tech
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I had mine in September and I wouldn't say that was the case for me. I don't think the interviewer had a script of questions, the conversation just went the way I steered it (my experience). The interviewer was more interested in me considering I wrote so much already about my research in the essays. It was very relax and honestly the 20 mins went by so fast. Good luck 🙂So I’m assuming that VTC’s traditional interview is predominantly them grilling you about your research for 20 minutes? Nervous for mine coming up
That sounds great! I'm excited for my interview coming up. But 20 minutes is so short. Is the interview day really just two separate 20-min interviews? It seems like so little to go off of for the adcoms and for applicants.I had mine in September and I wouldn't say that was the case for me. I don't think the interviewer had a script of questions, the conversation just went the way I steered it (my experience). The interviewer was more interested in me considering I wrote so much already about my research in the essays. It was very relax and honestly the 20 mins went by so fast. Good luck 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's going to be great 🙂 I really enjoyed it. yes it went by really fast. It was 20 mins for the traditional and 30 mins for the MMI. My MMI was after and because of the virtual nature, after the MMI was done the zoom call ended and that was the end of the interview. There was no formal closure of the interview but what to do, that's the new format for now. I mean I agree with you that I didn't feel like it was enough time, but I think it's enough time for adcom to link your personality to your essays. I would "practice" or plan to hit 2-3 main things in your interview that you would really want them to know. Best of luck 🙂That sounds great! I'm excited for my interview coming up. But 20 minutes is so short. Is the interview day really just two separate 20-min interviews? It seems like so little to go off of for the adcoms and for applicants.
It's going to be great 🙂 I really enjoyed it. yes it went by really fast. It was 20 mins for the traditional and 30 mins for the MMI. My MMI was after and because of the virtual nature, after the MMI was done the zoom call ended and that was the end of the interview. There was no formal closure of the interview but what to do, that's the new format for now. I mean I agree with you that I didn't feel like it was enough time, but I think it's enough time for adcom to link your personality to your essays. I would "practice" or plan to hit 2-3 main things in your interview that you would really want them to know. Best of luck 🙂
Hello. I have my interview coming up and I wanted to ask you about your experience with their traditional interview. By you saying that they let you steer the conversation, do you mean that it was more relaxed and they kind of let you talk about things you wanted them to know about you? Or did they have very specific questions?
Any other suggestions you can give?
Thank you! I am glad yours went well! I am excited but soo nervous
is it too late to submit a secondary to this school
belugaful30
Full Member
I would honestly send it in and add an explanation of your situation with your application. Everyone's a person, I'm sure they know that.Been sitting on this secondary due to a recent family tragedy. Is it too late to submit?
Yes exactly, it was relaxing and just a nice light conversation. I felt that the interviewer asked me questions based on what I was telling them originally instead of having a set of questions for me to answer. Honestly they are so friendly and it was actually very enjoyable. I would have the "tell me about yourself question" down because thats how I steered the conversation. Anyways, message me if you need anything else. Fingers crossed for you.Hello. I have my interview coming up and I wanted to ask you about your experience with their traditional interview. By you saying that they let you steer the conversation, do you mean that it was more relaxed and they kind of let you talk about things you wanted them to know about you? Or did they have very specific questions?
Any other suggestions you can give?
Thank you! I am glad yours went well! I am excited but soo nervous
Haven't received it yet either!
SirxArfsAlot
Full Member
Can anyone who is scheduled to interview this weekend let me know if they have received their interview Zoom link yet?
Received it just now!Haven't received it yet either!
II just now!!! I am so thrilled, I love this school!
Congrats!!! When were you complete?
9/13!Congrats!!! When were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SirxArfsAlot
Full Member
“Well that was short...”Thoughts after today's interviews?
You find out a couple days before!How far in advance did you know your specific interview times? I interview on the 24th
Also, anyone else who interviewed today know when we should expect to hear back?
Seconded but not complaining“Well that was short...”
No idea but I can second that the interview felt very short but honestly I was happy with how conversational the interview was. Never once did I feel truly pressured which I thought was really helpful towards maintaining a level of calm and stuff!You find out a couple days before!
Also, anyone else who interviewed today know when we should expect to hear back?
+1No idea but I can second that the interview felt very short but honestly I was happy with how conversational the interview was. Never once did I feel truly pressured which I thought was really helpful towards maintaining a level of calm and stuff!
SirxArfsAlot
Full Member
+2, was definitely not a pressure interview
MMI was a tad less conversational for me
I feel like I wasn't able to go into as much detail in my 1v1 as I would have liked, but oh well+2, was definitely not a pressure interview
MMI was a tad less conversational for me
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I actually just made an account and had my interview earlier this weekend! I was just wondering how everyone was sending thank you notes to their interviewer? Are you guys just uploading it to the portal or emailing it to admissions?
Thanks and good luck to everyone!
Thanks and good luck to everyone!
When someone asked on the Zoom call during the "ID verification part" right before the interview... we were told to email it to admissions! I hope your interview went well!Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I actually just made an account and had my interview earlier this weekend! I was just wondering how everyone was sending thank you notes to their interviewer? Are you guys just uploading it to the portal or emailing it to admissions?
Thanks and good luck to everyone!
jkdenton16
Full Member
With how much value is placed on research at Virginia Tech, do you think an update letter would be warranted for a recent college conference that I had my abstract accepted to?
Call and ask! Im sure they will say yes. You can throw it in the update part of the portal. They will read all the updates. Is an update gonna be the difference between you getting an interview or not get an interview? Probably not, but still good for them to know.With how much value is placed on research at Virginia Tech, do you think an update letter would be warranted for a recent college conference that I had my abstract accepted to?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how long it typically takes to hear back for post-II decisions?
Seems like it might be near the end of this month, but that won't stop my anxiety from making me hover around my phone 24/7 tomorrow onwards lmfao
Haha rightSeems like it might be near the end of this month, but that won't stop my anxiety from making me hover around my phone 24/7 tomorrow onwards lmfao
Do you know if they meet and release decisions monthly? I didn't get any info on what to expect on my interview day.Seems like it might be near the end of this month, but that won't stop my anxiety from making me hover around my phone 24/7 tomorrow onwards lmfao
I know someone has mentioned they interview 10/24. That is the third interview date of the year. Meaning, there are 3 interview Saturdays left. I'm not sure when the invites go out.Anyone know when more interviews are going out/ are a majority already complete? First time applicant so not sure how any of this is supposed to look haha apologies for any blatant ignorance.
Thank you!! So that means there are 6 per cycle?I know someone has mentioned they interview 10/24. That is the third interview date of the year. Meaning, there are 3 interview Saturdays left. I'm not sure when the invites go out.
6 interview days a cycle, yes!Thank you!! So that means there are 6 per cycle?
Just wondering ... did anyone get a box in the mail from VTC that totally looked like it would have been some kind of ~acceptance~ communication but just had some merch and said hope you enjoyed your interview? very confusing to receive...
I haven't interviewed yet but that sounds dope, I hope I get one after my interview.Just wondering ... did anyone get a box in the mail from VTC that totally looked like it would have been some kind of ~acceptance~ communication but just had some merch and said hope you enjoyed your interview? very confusing to receive...
Yes, I received the same boxJust wondering ... did anyone get a box in the mail from VTC that totally looked like it would have been some kind of ~acceptance~ communication but just had some merch and said hope you enjoyed your interview? very confusing to receive...
Interview date?Yes, I received the same box
SirxArfsAlot
Full Member
Just wondering ... did anyone get a box in the mail from VTC that totally looked like it would have been some kind of ~acceptance~ communication but just had some merch and said hope you enjoyed your interview? very confusing to receive...
Was it to your local or permanent address?Yes, I received the same box
permanent address, not sure if I listed a local one although I am away from "home" so my parents opened itWas it to your local or permanent address?
9/19, I think it was the first date? [edit: simply got the date wrong the first time. lol]Interview date?
it is nice/thoughtful, but my parents facetimed me all excited thinking it was acceptance material (it totally looked like it was) then they were soo disappointedI haven't interviewed yet but that sounds dope, I hope I get one after my interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
omg I’m excited for this. I haven’t receive one although I interviewed in early OctJust wondering ... did anyone get a box in the mail from VTC that totally looked like it would have been some kind of ~acceptance~ communication but just had some merch and said hope you enjoyed your interview? very confusing to receive...
I haven't either! Maybe it's a sign ...omg I’m excited for this. I haven’t receive one although I interviewed in early Oct
my interview was early (mid September) so if i just got mine now you might get one around thanksgiving (?) hang in there!I haven't either! Maybe it's a sign ...
Based on how generic the postcard was, I am very confident that everyone will get one 🙂 it was nice of them
Anyones application still under review?