2020-2021 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompts:
prompts (500 characters or less):
1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.
4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time?
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
secondary received!

prompts (500 characters or less):
1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.
4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time?
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a possibility of WVSOM not requiring a DO letter? I was supposed to shadow a DO back in March but COVID-19. Now I’m wondering if it’s worth doing the secondary since I talked to a number of DO’s and they’re all not accepting shadows. Not sure when/if they will either any time soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a possibility of WVSOM not requiring a DO letter? I was supposed to shadow a DO back in March but COVID-19. Now I’m wondering if it’s worth doing the secondary since I talked to a number of DO’s and they’re all not accepting shadows. Not sure when/if they will either any time soon.
Email admissions, I’m sure they could help you.

Secondary received, I like how this school wont charge you unless you get interviewed

Reactions: 5 users

would it be looked upon as unfavorable to put "N/A" for this question? i have no experience in rural areas.

Has anyone not received a secondary yet? I submitted primary 6/18 and I'm thinking about calling them tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone not received a secondary yet? I submitted primary 6/18 and I'm thinking about calling them tomorrow.
I sent my primary 6/16 and received/submitted my secondary on 7/02

Have you gotten yours yet? My app was ready/verified on 6/15 and haven't received a secondary yet.

got the email saying they require the DO letter, oh well I'm going to write up an email and try my luck out with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the secondary as well! Does anyone know if WVSOM screens?

Hi everyone! I'm a first year at WVSOM and if anyone has any questions about applying, the school, or Lewisburg don't be afraid to PM me. Best of luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I know that the school is still requiring DO letters and they don't want a letter from a family member, of course, but what about a friend? What if your friend from undergrad was a DO and you had worked under her in a professional capacity during college but in a different role? I don't think this is what they are looking for because I didn't shadow her but I don't really have other DO who I have shadowed at this point.

working on the secondary now, is this 500 character count killing anyone else? It's so hard to write well-formulated answers with such a small word count!

working on the secondary now, is this 500 character count killing anyone else? It's so hard to write well-formulated answers with such a small word count!
I didn’t try to be flowery with it. I just answered the question. It’s tough like, why DO is way more than 500 characters.

Reactions: 2 users
yes they'll give secondaries to anyone bc all they want is money
Idk how much of a troll answer this is, because they clearly state no one gets charged unless interview. If anything, this school is not greedy like 99% of the other schools.

Reactions: 9 users
From what it seems secondaries get released in waves on wednesdays! I saw someone get on 7/8, I got mine on 7/15, and saw another on 7/22!

Got put on the holdlist, they will review me periodically, but a decision is deferred for now. Kind of a bummer

Before or after secondary?
Post 2'', it's probably because I can't get in a DO letter. I emailed them and asked if they can accommodate this due to COVID, and they replied me back saying a decision cannot be made for the time being, and a few days later I got this hold email.

Post 2'', it's probably because I can't get in a DO letter. I emailed them and asked if they can accommodate this due to COVID, and they replied me back saying a decision cannot be made for the time being, and a few days later I got this hold email.

When did you submit your secondary if you don't mind me asking?

For those who received secondaries, how long after sending your primaries did you get them?

For those who received secondaries, how long after sending your primaries did you get them?
my primary was transmitted to schools the first day, 6/15.
received WVSOM’s 2° on 7/2.

just got an email saying WL for an interview, does anyone know how many people get off the WL?
Well first of all congrats, that is very good, I don't even have word from them. Do you mind if I ask stats?

Has anyone else not received a secondary? I haven't heard anything after submitting my primary

Just got an email that I have been placed on a hold (decision deferred).

Just got an email that I have been placed on a hold (decision deferred).
Do not lose hope, deferred does not mean rejected, so just work with them if they are missing documentation from you or be patient!

Do not lose hope, deferred does not mean rejected, so just work with them if they are missing documentation from you or be patient!
Congrats to both of you! I hope this is ok to ask, but are you applying for the 2020 school year?

This thread is for matriculation in fall of 2021
Ok sorry, I was just impressed with how far you guys are in the application process. Way ahead of me, I just finished my secondary!