2021-2022 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

How does one apply to Cleaveland clinic? It was not on AMCAS.

It's a program at Case Western! You make the selection when you receive the secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So for the research question secondary "Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.", there doesn't appear to be a suggested length... How in-depth is this supposed to be? I could easily do several pages on this, but that seems wayyy overkill to me given that all of the other prompts are 500-1000 chars

Last edited by a moderator:
So for the research question secondary "Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.", there doesn't appear to be a suggested length... How in-depth is this supposed to be? I could easily do several pages on this, but that seems wayyy overkill to me given that all of the other prompts are 500-1000 chars
I applied last year and I initially filled out a very long answer. I checked later on and they had put a 3500 character limit a few weeks after I submitted though, so I would try to stick within that.

Reactions: 1 user
Brevity is the soul of wit - and a good essay too. It will not be overly verbose, but the length is really up to you. There's no minimum or maximum. If you are hitting hard limits, however, then you've probably written too much. Do not assume specific knowledge regarding your research topic or area of interest, but expect a well-trained, academic reviewer with general knowledge and a research background.

Good luck.

PS - leave some details for the interview too. This isn't a journal manuscript.

TL;DR - not too long, not too short. YMMV

Last edited:
Not sure how many people are monitoring this thread, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are about writing about an ongoing research project for the research question. They specifically ask about results and how that feeds into future research, but right now I am running a clinical trial and I think that would be the most interesting thing for me to talk about. However, obviously we have no results yet, we haven't even finished fully recruiting for it.

I could talk about past research but I get less excited about that.

Not sure how many people are monitoring this thread, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are about writing about an ongoing research project for the research question. They specifically ask about results and how that feeds into future research, but right now I am running a clinical trial and I think that would be the most interesting thing for me to talk about. However, obviously we have no results yet, we haven't even finished fully recruiting for it.

I could talk about past research but I get less excited about that.
Does the clinical trial have any connection at all with your past research experiences? I think first half going brief into past research (I'm assuming more basic science-related), then connecting to your current research cause you wanted to better understand the human condition/disease could be a good way of going about it.

Does the clinical trial have any connection at all with your past research experiences? I think first half going brief into past research (I'm assuming more basic science-related), then connecting to your current research cause you wanted to better understand the human condition/disease could be a good way of going about it.
That kind of what I ended up doing, although I kept the discussion of past research fairly basic, and basically just talked about it in the justification for the hypothesis and methods of our current study... I might go add a little more about the results from previous research but I'm basically at the character count and honestly a little burnt out from all the CCLCM essays lol

That kind of what I ended up doing, although I kept the discussion of past research fairly basic, and basically just talked about it in the justification for the hypothesis and methods of our current study... I might go add a little more about the results from previous research but I'm basically at the character count and honestly a little burnt out from all the CCLCM essays lol
That sounds good using the previous research findings to inform your motivations to conduct your current project! Also I feel...pre-writing really did not work out for CCLCM LOL...

I wrote about a current (albeit long-term) basic science/translational research project and am currently an M1

I know they state they accept international students, but many other schools also claim they accept international students while accepting 0 every year. Does anyone who is currently attending the college program know if there are any non-US citizens there?

EDIT: Does CWRU's MSAR data include Lerner? If so, only 5 applicants matriculated from over 600 to both the university and college program. Looks like a loooong shot.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas on if it's ok tp talk about research that didnt really have a hypothesis? My major project was a poster in developmental psych — we had a research question, but I wouldn't really call it a hypothesis. But the prompt says hypothesis like two times, so i don't know if I should talk about a different project that did have a more clear hypothesis

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any ideas on if it's ok tp talk about research that didnt really have a hypothesis? My major project was a poster in developmental psych — we had a research question, but I wouldn't really call it a hypothesis. But the prompt says hypothesis like two times, so i don't know if I should talk about a different project that did have a more clear hypothesis
Yeah, I think that this is tricky. I worked on a big bioinformatic project that had a pretty murky hypothesis because it was much more of a general research question than a specific investigation. I did still list the most specific hypothesis that I could because they were so direct about wanting a hypothesis.

I think they are really looking for applicants to show that they understand the scientific processing terms of forming a hypothesis, testing it, etc.

I know they state they accept international students, but many other schools also claim they accept international students while accepting 0 every year. Does anyone who is currently attending the college program know if there are any non-US citizens there?

EDIT: Does CWRU's MSAR data include Lerner? If so, only 5 applicants matriculated from over 600 to both the university and college program. Looks like a loooong shot.
Yes, CCLCM accepts international students (as well as DACA), and there are on average 2-3 international students in the class each year. Not sure about the accuracy of MSAR data or if it includes Canadians as "international", but I personally know of ~10 international students currently at CCLCM, so that data seems suspect. Additionally, I have heard of international students getting married and having their visa status change during the course of medical school (helps for residency applications), so I'm not sure if this affects MSAR data.

If applying to both this program and the general 4-year one, does the application portal apply to both applications? (In terms of checking status). Additionally, do applicants for the Lerner program interview before, alongside, or after traditional applicants? Thanks!

CCLCM has a separate interview

Does anyone know when CCLCM starts sending out IIs?

Does anyone know when CCLCM starts sending out IIs?
Last year it was beginning of September but that was a delayed cycle. I’d suspect the next couple weeks if everything in the process has adjusted back.

Does CCLCM only review the essays specific to their program or do they also review the ones we complete for CWRU as well (e.g. greatest challenge essay)?

Does CCLCM only review the essays specific to their program or do they also review the ones we complete for CWRU as well (e.g. greatest challenge essay)?
Check the Case Western thread. There was someone who worked in the admissions office that answered the question but I can't remember what they said or if it was this years or last years

I'm sure they look at everything. After all, they are making an entirely independent admission decision, similar to MD/PhD at other schools. It's not like they are only admitting you to a program, and only after you are admitted to CWRU. I don't think they would want to limit themselves to making an admission decision based on just their program specific essays.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if an R from the University program also means an R from Cleveland Clinic?

Thanks!

It does not.
1629501659028.png

Just took my first R of the cycle here. Complete 7/19

Reactions: 4 users
all of you were July completes? And did you also receive an R for the University program or just this one?

R complete 7/15. Real sad about this one since they fit the bill perfectly for my career goals

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
First R of the cycle. It was a big reach stats wise lmao so I'm not too torn up. Edit: wanted to add complete 07/17

R here too. We're all in this together folks, good luck elsewhere everyone!

Also got hit with the R earlier in the week. :(

OOS II today! Complete 7/21. Anybody else having trouble finding the calendar for scheduling the interview?

OOS II a couple hours ago!! :) Submitted 7/22

OOS II today! Complete 7/21. Anybody else having trouble finding the calendar for scheduling the interview?
Congrats!! I was able to access the calendar just by clicking on the "Interview - CCLCM" Tab. However, the calendar didn't immediately populate when I was trying to schedule my University Program interview. It seemed to just resolve itself after I clicked through every sub-tab then clicked back on the main interview tab...

Congrats!! I was able to access the calendar just by clicking on the "Interview - CCLCM" Tab. However, the calendar didn't immediately populate when I was trying to schedule my University Program interview. It seemed to just resolve itself after I clicked through every sub-tab then clicked back on the main interview tab...
Whatever was wrong, that worked! I clicked through the entire portal and the calendar finally showed up. Thanks for the help! Good luck with your interview!

• Care
Does anyone know how many interviews take place for CCLCM? I am trying to understand the process of the application. Thank you

Does anyone know how many interviews take place for CCLCM? I am trying to understand the process of the application. Thank you
I believe the information they gave us last year was between 250 and 300