2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also if anyone knows the dress code for the Monday session??
Email for the Monday Welcome Session states to dress in business professional!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone has interviewed here already, how did it go? I've heard that the interviews are relaxed, but I know it can definitely vary from person to person. Furthermore, was it similar to any of the SDN feedback questions? Thanks!

Got my post-interview committee score notification today. Interviewed week of 10/18

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has interviewed here already, how did it go? I've heard that the interviews are relaxed, but I know it can definitely vary from person to person. Furthermore, was it similar to any of the SDN feedback questions? Thanks!
The interviews were overall pretty relaxed and both of my interviewers were very nice, but one was a pretty intense guy, just personality wise and it was hard to get a feel for how my answers were landing. Definitely read through the SDN feedback questions, almost all of mine were either on there or were a slight variation of a question on there. Overall though it has been my favorite interview day of the ones I've had so far and you don't have a lot to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know until when they interview? Or until when they send out interview invites?

Did everyone receive a post interview package?

Just interviewed today! For those preparing honestly I feel like they went just fine. There were more situational questions than I were expecting (tell me about a time when....). Also my two interviewers asked the exact same questions so make sure you have more than one example for those questions. Hope I didn't mess up too bad lol

Just interviewed today! For those preparing honestly I feel like they went just fine. There were more situational questions than I were expecting (tell me about a time when....). Also my two interviewers asked the exact same questions so make sure you have more than one example for those questions. Hope I didn't mess up too bad lol
Is it a negative is we do repeat our answers? That’s what I’ve been doing. Hope I haven’t been inadvertently sabotaging myself lol

Is it a negative is we do repeat our answers? That’s what I’ve been doing. Hope I haven’t been inadvertently sabotaging myself lol
lol I'm not sure- on the last question of my second interview my interviewer said that if I had already gotten this question to use a new example so Idk if I screwed myself for the entire interview prior to that

I saw someone ask this question earlier but I did not see a response to it. Do pre-II holds generally turn into IIs or Rs?

I saw someone ask this question earlier but I did not see a response to it. Do pre-II holds generally turn into IIs or Rs?
Seems like they generally turn to Rs, but there have been instances on previous years threads where they were reverted to IIs. I’d still consider a hold much better than a flat out pre-II R tho!

Seems like they generally turn to Rs, but there have been instances on previous years threads where they were reverted to IIs. I’d still consider a hold much better than a flat out pre-II R tho!
Thank you sm!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say a hold means that your application in general is atleast okay?

The interviews were overall pretty relaxed and both of my interviewers were very nice, but one was a pretty intense guy, just personality wise and it was hard to get a feel for how my answers were landing. Definitely read through the SDN feedback questions, almost all of mine were either on there or were a slight variation of a question on there. Overall though it has been my favorite interview day of the ones I've had so far and you don't have a lot to worry about.
Hey, thanks for the tips! Just wondering, for the SDN feedback, did you look at the page for Mayo Rochester? I'm not sure if there's a Mayo Arizona page I'm supposed to be looking for or if the interview experience is similar across both campuses. Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the tips! Just wondering, for the SDN feedback, did you look at the page for Mayo Rochester? I'm not sure if there's a Mayo Arizona page I'm supposed to be looking for or if the interview experience is similar across both campuses. Thanks!
Yeah, it's all just 1 page for SDN feedback and as far as I know they do everything the exact same for interviews for all campuses, you just interview with location-specific faculty

Yeah, it's all just 1 page for SDN feedback and as far as I know they do everything the exact same for interviews for all campuses, you just interview with location-specific faculty
Thanks so much!!

MS4 here on the AZ campus, available for any questions throughout the cycle.

C: 9/1x , II on 11/16 (MD-PhD).

Hi! Thanks for making yourself available. Would you say Mayo is pretty generous with financial aid? Just looking at MSAR the average debt of students fresh out of Mayo is relatively low compared to other schools. Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for making yourself available. Would you say Mayo is pretty generous with financial aid? Just looking at MSAR the average debt of students fresh out of Mayo is relatively low compared to other schools. Thanks!
I’m an M1 here and I’d say many people I know got at least some. I got a ~50% tuition merit-based scholarship and my GPA was honestly not good lol. I think they’re often more generous with need-based but I’d have to ask around

Few things to keep in mind with those numbers: If someone's family pays for their schooling, or if they go HPSP that will lower the average debt of the students even though that has nothing to do with Mayo's financial aid.

At most, they will give up to full tuition but never anything to cover cost of attendance (rent, books, etc). So if for instance you got an outside scholarship covering x amount per year, Mayo will just lower their offer so that together it is full tuition max. Some schools will offer scholarship towards cost of attendance, Mayo does not.

I personally feel they are not generous with financial aid compared to other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Few things to keep in mind with those numbers: If someone's family pays for their schooling, or if they go HPSP that will lower the average debt of the students even though that has nothing to do with Mayo's financial aid.

At most, they will give up to full tuition but never anything to cover cost of attendance (rent, books, etc). So if for instance you got an outside scholarship covering x amount per year, Mayo will just lower their offer so that together it is full tuition max. Some schools will offer scholarship towards cost of attendance, Mayo does not.

I personally feel they are not generous with financial aid compared to other schools.
Which schools other than the UCLA/Geffen program actually offer scholarships towards cost of living/ books etc?

Which schools other than the UCLA/Geffen program actually offer scholarships towards cost of living/ books etc?
It's in the wording of the scholarship. I remember most saying here is X towards your costs of attendance (so tuition, R&B, etc) but usually would not be in excess of tuition, but if you had an outside scholarship then you could feasibly get tuition plus covered. Mayo is the only one I remember that said specifically $x tuition scholarship

Just made an account so didn't comment earlier, but... II received 11/8! Complete 10/25, Canadian applicant

So far it's my only II, so I'm very excited! Also surprised about Mayo specifically because research is the primary area of weakness on my application and Mayo is a research heavy school... who knows?

Just made an account so didn't comment earlier, but... II received 11/8! Complete 10/25, Canadian applicant

So far it's my only II, so I'm very excited! Also surprised about Mayo specifically because research is the primary area of weakness on my application and Mayo is a research heavy school... who knows?
Congratulations! And I had very very little research when applying as well.

Thanks for being willing to answer questions! As far as research goes, do you feel like there are ample opportunities on the Arizona campus for any type and field one is interested in? Or is it more of an environment where you have to hunt for a PI who is looking for very specific skill sets? Additionally, do you feel the opportunities for clinical research are there? I have heard things from a couple of M1s but wanted to get your perspective as an M4. Thanks a ton!

how long did it take for people to get their post-interview care packages? i interviewed over a month ago and still havent gotten mine
I got mine the day after but for what its worth I think this says way more about the US Postal System right now than anything regarding your application/chances!!

• Haha
  • Care
Thanks for being willing to answer questions! As far as research goes, do you feel like there are ample opportunities on the Arizona campus for any type and field one is interested in? Or is it more of an environment where you have to hunt for a PI who is looking for very specific skill sets? Additionally, do you feel the opportunities for clinical research are there? I have heard things from a couple of M1s but wanted to get your perspective as an M4. Thanks a ton!
This is something that Mayo Clinic is incredible for. No matter what you are interested in, there is a mentor who can help find a project or will be willing to have you help with their projects.

In addition, they are very responsive. Let's say you are here and say "I'd love to do something with Urology" just email the attendings directly and I guarantee you will get a positive response or direction on who to contact to help. I feel the opportunities for research have been incredible and it has been something remarked on by multiple residency interviews as they are impressed by the amount of research I've completed during medical school.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
This is something that Mayo Clinic is incredible for. No matter what you are interested in, there is a mentor who can help find a project or will be willing to have you help with their projects.

In addition, they are very responsive. Let's say you are here and say "I'd love to do something with Urology" just email the attendings directly and I guarantee you will get a positive response or direction on who to contact to help. I feel the opportunities for research have been incredible and it has been something remarked on by multiple residency interviews as they are impressed by the amount of research I've completed during medical school.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the repsonse!

Has anyone seen an academic calendar for this school? Curious to see how long their breaks are and that sort of thing, can't find it on the website.

Has anyone seen an academic calendar for this school? Curious to see how long their breaks are and that sort of thing, can't find it on the website.
(M1) We don’t really get “breaks” in the traditional sense, at least in preclin years - we get selective weeks (usually 1 week in duration but 2 weeks over the winter holidays) and you can either use that time to do a selective or take a vacation.

Edit: You just need to get a certain number of selective credits so people just kind of plan to take breaks whenever they really want/need one. We have selectives between each major block (and sometimes in the middle of one if it occurs during a major holiday)

(M1) We don’t really get “breaks” in the traditional sense, at least in preclin years - we get selective weeks (usually 1 week in duration but 2 weeks over the winter holidays) and you can either use that time to do a selective or take a vacation.

Edit: You just need to get a certain number of selective credits so people just kind of plan to take breaks whenever they really want/need one. We have selectives between each major block (and sometimes in the middle of one if it occurs during a major holiday)
And to add to that some selectives are less work than others: spend a week reading a book or spend a week with the neurosurgery team etc so you can make of it what you want

Reactions: 2 users
Here’s the 2 yr overview calendar that was provided to the class of 2025 for reference. They’re actively implementing changes as we speak and it might be different for next year’s class.

Attachments

• Academic Calendar.png
    Academic Calendar.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 486
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hi!! Thank you for taking the time to answer questions! Is it very hard for students to receive honors in clerkships here?

Hi!! Thank you for taking the time to answer questions! Is it very hard for students to receive honors in clerkships here?
They are constantly reviewing grading policies, so the grading system for me (percentage on the shelf, percent based on evals, etc) will likely be different than for you. I'd say it isn't easy to honor, you will need to really perform on the wards and especially on the shelf to honor.

Did you guys address your letter of interest to the dean of admissions for MCASOM in general or the chair of admissions just for the arizona campus?

Did you guys address your letter of interest to the dean of admissions for MCASOM in general or the chair of admissions just for the arizona campus?
“MCASOM Admissions” is what I did

I just did “Admissions Committee”

interviewed 1/13-1/14 for MD-PhD. The staff here is so kind and the interviewers are so nice. make sure to know your app inside and out!

Quick question to anyone who may know the answer: while sending my LOI, I realized my post-interview thank you letters were just sitting in my email not sent (I thought I had scheduled them for the next morning). Anyway, I didn't send it through email like I'd thought or through the portal. I know Mayo is pretty big on this, but how badly would this affect my chances? Sidenote: should I post this on the Minnesota page since there's more traffic there?

Last edited:
Quick question to anyone who may know the answer: while sending my LOI, I realized my post-interview thank you letters were just sitting in my email not sent (I thought I had scheduled them for the next morning). Anyway, I didn't send it through email like I'd thought or through the portal. I know Mayo is pretty big on this, but how badly would this affect my chances? Sidenote: should I post this on the Minnesota page since there's more traffic there?
I don't think it will affect your chances . I would send them now as I think wanting to thank the admissions committee/interviewers is always a nice thing to do, but I don't think sending them late will be a bad idea.

I don't think it will affect your chances . I would send them now as I think wanting to thank the admissions committee/interviewers is always a nice thing to do, but I don't think sending them late will be a bad idea.
Thank you! I just wasn't sure what to do since Mayo takes communication like that seriously. I'm going to post this on the Minnesota page to see if this is the consensus and will do as you said!

Just curious: Have any Arizona campus peeps received post-II communication from their interviewers or a highly ranked email? :) Thanks!

Just curious: Have any Arizona campus peeps received post-II communication from their interviewers or a highly ranked email? :) Thanks!
Haven’t heard from interviewers or got a highly ranked email but got an email from someone about them “loving my application and are really interested in me” and wanted me to send an LOI.

Nope. Did have a student reach out to ask if I had any follow-ups but otherwise nothing
(II'd late Sept & LOI a few weeks ago)