2021-2022 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the hold. 3.6 cGPA 511 MCAT. When should I send updates? What percentage of holds get invited to interview?
When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I hope you all are doing well! Does anyone know the post-II acceptance for drexel?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have no reason to expect that any decisions will come out tomorrow here do we?

We have no reason to expect that any decisions will come out tomorrow here do we?
My faculty member said we could expect one tomorrow, so who knows. Don't let it stress you out.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Radio silence on A/R/WL?

Reactions: 1 user
I believe last year’s first decision went out the very end of October
Yeah I saw that too, but I wasn't sure since I heard otherwise for this cycle during my interview.

An update in my portal gave these dates:
Approximate release dates:

October 29, 2021

November 19, 2021

December 17, 2021

January 21, 2022

February 18, 2022

Reactions: 6 users
An update in my portal gave these dates:
Approximate release dates:

October 29, 2021

November 19, 2021

December 17, 2021

January 21, 2022

February 18, 2022
Ah well that answers my questions

To everyone who has heard nothing yet from Drexel: I'm a current M1 at Cooper (which I love so far), but was also accepted at Drexel. I was complete at Drexel mid-August (relatively early on last year's timeline), never put on hold, received an interview invite (II) mid-February, interviewed in early March, and got the A in mid-May. So don’t worry if you’re complete but haven’t received an II yet! Drexel seemed to be a little random. I know it doesn't feel like it, BUT IT'S STILL EARLY-ISH IN THE CYCLE TO BE GETTING INTERVIEWS!

Also, consider applying to Cooper too even though it's late and even if you’re out of state (it’s in NJ), particularly if you have a strong service background (I was a super strong mission fit)! I was OOS and I added Cooper in October last year, and I’m so happy I ended up choosing it. I live in Philly (Center City, along with about half my classmates) and I have a 15 min commute to Cooper. And it’s a smaller class size with more individualized attention and early patient interaction (all students are required to work at free community clinic). They truly take a holistic look at each student, so it may not be too late to apply.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
To everyone who has heard nothing yet from Drexel: I'm a current M1 at Cooper (which I love so far), but was also accepted at Drexel. I was complete at Drexel mid-August (relatively early on last year's timeline), never put on hold, received an interview invite (II) mid-February, interviewed in early March, and got the A in mid-May. So don’t worry if you’re complete but haven’t received an II yet! Drexel seemed to be a little random. I know it doesn't feel like it, BUT IT'S STILL EARLY-ISH IN THE CYCLE TO BE GETTING INTERVIEWS!

Also, consider applying to Cooper too even though it's late and even if you’re out of state (it’s in NJ), particularly if you have a strong service background (I was a super strong mission fit)! I was OOS and I added Cooper in October last year, and I’m so happy I ended up choosing it. I live in Philly (Center City, along with about half my classmates) and I have a 15 min commute to Cooper. And it’s a smaller class size with more individualized attention and early patient interaction (all students are required to work at free community clinic). They truly take a holistic look at each student, so it may not be too late to apply.
If you don't mind, why did you choose Cooper over Drexel, given that it is newer, lower ranked, and OOS, not to mention the charms of Camden over Philly, as referenced in the worst places in the world to live, work or go to school companion thread? :cool:

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
  • Sad
Reactions: 12 users
If you don't mind, why did you choose Cooper over Drexel, given that it is newer, lower ranked, and OOS, not to mention the charms of Camden over Philly, as referenced in the worst places in the world to live, work or go to school companion thread? :cool:
If you don't mind, why did you choose to miss with this comment by like five miles

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
If you don't mind, why did you choose to miss with this comment by like five miles
I honestly had no idea. It was a serious question.

I grew up in the area, and, taking nothing away from Cooper, Camden honestly leaves much to be desired. The poster lives in Philly. Drexel, while certainly not in Penn's league, is a very decent school that is much more highly regarded than Cooper, PLUS, the poster does not have the benefit of being IS in NJ.

I was honestly wondering what drove the decision. No offense intended to anyone, and I honestly don't understand the negative reaction, particularly in the Drexel thread, to a question asking why someone would choose a lower ranked in another state over Drexel.

I was honestly wondering what drove the decision. No offense intended to anyone, and I honestly don't understand the negative reaction, particularly in the Drexel thread, to a question asking why someone would choose a lower ranked in another state over Drexel.
(Sorry in advance to the forum mods for minimodding)

Consider how you present your questions because it came off snarky as f***, especially with the sunglasses emoji at the end. With all those comparisons you included, it felt more like a rhetorical question meant to underlyingly mean "you made the wrong decision, I don't need to hear from you"

Also I'm no mod here but I'd imagine as long as discussion doesn't completely off-road about another school, there's no harm in posting a little tidbit about a different uni, especially keeping in mind that Philly is one river away from NJ. If this med student got into Drexel then they're several hurdles past the point where we are now too so we might as well hear them out

Last edited:
(Sorry in advance to the forum mods for minimodding)

Consider how you present your questions because it came off snarky as f***, especially with the sunglasses emoji at the end. With all those comparisons you included, it felt more like a rhetorical question meant to underlyingly mean "you made the wrong decision, I don't need to hear from you"

Also I'm no mod here but I'd imagine as long as discussion doesn't completely off-road about another school, there's no harm in posting a little tidbit about a different uni, especially keeping in mind that Philly is one river away from NJ. If this med student got into Drexel then they're several hurdles past the point where we are now too so we might as well hear them out
Okay -- I totally don't mind mini-modding in order to clarify. The sunglasses were meant to be a reference to the thread about terrible places to go to school, and specifically to Camden. Not to either Cooper or Drexel.

I thought that would be extremely inoffensive, given that the OP is not a NJ resident and chose to live in Philly. I also thought it was pretty universally acknowledged that Camden is not one of the most desirable places in the country to live, work or play. If not, my bad.

As I said, really not snarky at all, and not meant to be. As a current applicant, I was genuinely curious as to why a Philly person would choose Cooper over Drexel. No judgment. A real question.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Okay -- I totally don't mind mini-modding in order to clarify. The sunglasses were meant to be a reference to the thread about terrible places to go to school, and specifically to Camden. Not to either Cooper or Drexel.

I thought that would be extremely inoffensive, given that the OP is not a NJ resident and chose to live in Philly. I also thought it was pretty universally acknowledged that Camden is not one of the most desirable places in the country to live, work or play. If not, my bad.

As I said, really not snarky at all, and not meant to be. As a current applicant, I was genuinely curious as to why a Philly person would choose Cooper over Drexel. No judgment. A real question.
This would be likely better served as a DM to the person to ask them - it’s better not to appear to be speaking down on other schools and Drexel definitely has its issues (almost every school does) and isn’t in a super favorable location (in my biased opinion) or even in Philadelphia proper. Please be kind everyone. This is a stressful time of year and anxiety is high. Build each other up.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
This would be likely better served as a DM to the person to ask them - it’s better not to appear to be speaking down on other schools and Drexel definitely has its issues (almost every school does) and isn’t in a super favorable location (in my biased opinion) or even in Philadelphia proper. Please be kind everyone. This is a stressful time of year and anxiety is high. Build each other up.
My bad. I honestly did not mean to start a thing or derail the thread. I'm a big Philly fan, but I'm really no Drexel fanboy, and was genuinely curious why someone would choose to commute into Camden from Philly when they had Drexel as an option and were not benefiting from IS tuition in NJ.

Didn't realize it would be perceived so negatively, didn't mean to put either school down, and thought it would be of general interest, which is why I didn't just send a DM. Sorry to everyone.

Last edited:
My bad. I honestly did not mean to start a thing or derail the thread. I'm a big Philly fan, but I'm really no Drexel fanboy, and was genuinely curious why someone would choose to commute into Camden from Philly when they had Drexel as an option and were not benefiting from IS tuition in NJ.

Didn't realize it would be perceived so negatively, didn't mean to put either school down, and thought it would be of general interest, which is why I didn't just send a DM. Sorry to everyone.
Glad we were able to clarify everything though, best of luck with everything bud. Sorry for our banter earlier, no hard feelings?

Reactions: 4 users
Glad we were able to clarify everything though, best of luck with everything bud. Sorry for our banter earlier, no hard feelings?
Totally. I realize I can sometimes be obtuse.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
@Conics98 @KnightDoc
Now Kiss Adventure Time GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users

when did you receive an II from cooper? I've heard silence from them so far as well.

II received today! OOS w/ ties

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else that interviewed have a rather unpleasant faculty interviewer? They kept cutting me off with snarky remarks and seemed to care very little about anything I had to say, and ultimately cut my interview short. Very disappointing considering how much I liked the rest of the interview day and the school. Now I wait for the R...

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else that interviewed have a rather unpleasant faculty interviewer? They kept cutting me off with snarky remarks and seemed to care very little about anything I had to say, and ultimately cut my interview short. Very disappointing considering how much I liked the rest of the interview day and the school. Now I wait for the R...
To my knowledge, some schools deliberately give you a rude interviewer to see how you react under pressure. Good cop, bad cop type of thing. Was that the only interview or did you have others?

To my knowledge, some schools deliberately give you a rude interviewer to see how you react under pressure. Good cop, bad cop type of thing. Was that the only interview or did you have others?
Yea medicine is a career that requires grace under pressure

Seems counterintuitive in regards to wanting to attract students. I'd be much more likely to attend a school where I feel the faculty are supportive and friendly as opposed to rude and dismissive, all things considered.

Seems counterintuitive in regards to wanting to attract students. I'd be much more likely to attend a school where I feel the faculty are supportive and friendly as opposed to rude and dismissive, all things considered.
It's just a med school culture thing

True, but med schools get so many applications. Granting a medical degree is probably enough to attract students, they don't need to be supportive and welcoming to convince them.

Reactions: 2 users

Ok WOW - a lot to address here. I'm not really sure that it was necessary to put @KnightDoc on hold and suspend his account when people already educated him that he was wrong and he seemed to understand his mistake, but I guess that's not my decision here. ANYWAY it was a tough choice to make between Drexel and Cooper. Both schools are great, and I truly think I would have been happy at either school. This is just off the top my head and I'm sure I'm missing some nuances, but here's generally what went into it (in no particular order):
1. Location: Yes, Cooper is in Camden, but it's a 6-10 minute train ride from Philly, depending on what stop you're leaving Philly from. And as @TheDataKing said, Drexel is not that close to Center City, and I would prefer to live in Center City. If you live in Center City, I think there's a DUCOM shuttle that has a stop in Center City, but that would take longer to get to DUCOM than the train from Philly to Cooper and shuttle is dependent on traffic. That being said, DUCOM's area (East Falls) is super cute.
2. Campus: I was placed at the DUCOM Reading Campus, which is something I was not at all interested in because I want to get more experience in an urban setting. I think I could have requested to switch to Philly, but I didn't look into it.
3. Class Size: Drexel has a class size of nearly 300, while Cooper has a class size 112.
4. Tuition: About the same for OOS Cooper vs Drexel
5. Reputation: This was the only thing that made me consider Drexel over Cooper. While I think my experience is better at Cooper, it doesn't have the same reputation as Drexel. Cooper has a wonderful reputation in NJ/PA, but because it's new, its reputation is still growing.
6. Hospital Connection and M3/M4 rotations: At Cooper the vast majority of rotations are at Cooper Hospital in Camden, with a few weeks in nearby NJ suburbs. In general, CMSRU's close ties with Cooper means that we have easy access to mentors and research opportunities. At Drexel with Hahnemann Hospital's closure (its main teaching hospital), M3/M4 rotations seem like a little bit more of a mess with people placed all over the city/PA? For some rotations, people are placed in other cities a few hours away and given dorm housing. It could be a positive that you get to see different hospital systems, but this was not the life I wanted. At Drexel, I'm sure it's still relatively easy to find mentors and research.
7. General Feeling: Hard to put a words to it, but I just generally felt better at Cooper. Just a tiny example, Cooper got back to us within one week of interview (with a personal call from the Dean of Admission if you were admitted), while Drexel took over two months. I liked the interview more at Cooper. The whole process felt more organized at Cooper? I really loved that everyone at Cooper has to work at the free clinic, that there's a community service requirement, and that Cooper emphasizes mentorship. Now that I'm here, everyone is so nice and wants to HELP you - both faculty and peers. M2-M4 students are always willing to answer questions. I talked to friends at both schools, and the Cooper alums/students I talked to really loved it, while the Drexel alums I talked to liked it, but didn't seem as glowing?

Anyway to sum up, both schools are great and it would be a blessing to attend either one, but I chose the one I thought would be better for me. Good luck with everything guys! Applying is the toughest part and this will all end up feeling like a distant memory soon, I promise!!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love

Yea medicine is a career that requires grace under pressure
Yes I had this same interviewer (Dr. Weingarten) and I asked my alum friends about him, and they actually said they liked him as a faculty member! I agree that he probably acts that way during the interview and tries to needle you with hard questions to see how you do under pressure. He gave me some kinda out there comments/questions, but nothing too crazy. And I think because I was confident in my answers and didn't cave under pressure, he wasn't as tough on me as he was on others (or maybe I was just prepared). But if you get him, mentally prepare yourself for an interviewer who might not respond super positively! However, I still got in!

Does anyone know if a pre-II hold is a soft R at Drexel?
I think I recall some people who got a pre-II hold getting an interview later on in the spring last year? You can go through last year's thread to make sure.