2021-2022 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 Pre-II R, complete 06/28. Good luck yall
+1 soon after I submitted an update letter... guess my update sucks </3. LM 80. Anyone know if they provide feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
+1 soon after I submitted an update letter... guess my update sucks </3. LM 80. Anyone know if they provide feedback?
Sorry to hear that! When did u submit ur app and update?

+1 Pre-II R, complete 06/28. Good luck yall
This makes me sad because I love seeing your posts, especially in this thread. Quick question, was it just an email you received or did the portal update to reflect this too?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that! When did u submit ur app and update?
Submitted app Sept and update early Jan and I sent updates around the same time frame to other schools too so looks like more bad news headed my way :-(. Anyone know if they provide feedback?

I am OOS but have a lot of family in the Detroit metro/Toledo area. Would it be worth my time to write a letter of interest explaining my connection to the area/hopes to live in Michigan after finishing medical school or would it just come off as desperate?

This makes me sad because I love seeing your posts, especially in this thread. Quick question, was it just an email you received or did the portal update to reflect this too?
I'll see you in other threads!

I received an email titled "UMich Medical School Update." My secondary app portal also now says "FILED CLOSED." Hope this helps.

• Care
I am OOS but have a lot of family in the Detroit metro/Toledo area. Would it be worth my time to write a letter of interest explaining my connection to the area/hopes to live in Michigan after finishing medical school or would it just come off as desperate?
It can only help your application and I would add the sooner the better!

No I don’t think it would come off desperate, but I’d intertwine this into an update/LOInterest. Like 1-2 paragraphs = update and 1 paragraph = your connection to the area and 1-2 paragraph = something else you love about the school and tying it all together. However I’d send this asap (like today if possible) and it may even be too late for it to make a difference… my guess is there’s only 2 mondays left, so ~11 days left for them to see this and maybe send an II. If you’re post-II than it’s probably worth it if you have the time to spend on it and make it meaningful.

It can only help your application and I would add the sooner the better!
No I don’t think it would come off desperate, but I’d intertwine this into an update/LOInterest. Like 1-2 paragraphs = update and 1 paragraph = your connection to the area and 1-2 paragraph = something else you love about the school and tying it all together. However I’d send this asap (like today if possible) and it may even be too late for it to make a difference… my guess is there’s only 2 mondays left, so ~11 days left for them to see this and maybe send an II. If you’re post-II than it’s probably worth it if you have the time to spend on it and make it meaningful.
Thank you guys for the advice! I already sent two update letters so I’ll just make this a short LOI I suppose :p
If anyone has any templates/tips on how to write a good LOI I would appreciate the help 😬

Members don't see this ad :)
has this Tuesday historically been the last day of interviews being sent out? Or do I have one more week of hope to hold on to haha
The last day was 1/25 last year, so there might be one more week

Just caught the Pre-II R this morning :(

• Care
Pre-II R here, too, but very much expecting this so not taking it too hard! Goodbye to my childhood dream school (lol) but best of luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
NVM got the R lmao
complete early July, OOS, LM 81
good luck to everyone else! Goodbye blue

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Did you just get it after the morning wave?
I got it at 11:53 eastern! I just checked my email now. I was working on a three hour pasta sauce which is objectively more important than med school admissions hehe

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Very few things in life are more important than making a homemade pasta sauce right.
I got it at 11:53 eastern! I just checked my email now. I was working on a three hour pasta sauce which is objectively more important than med school admissions hehe

Reactions: 3 users
Pre II R this am. Complete early July. Goodluck to all!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Pre II R this lovely Tuesday morning
+1, looks like I’m sticking with babyblue and not blue blue. Hasta Leugo :’) good luck!

Complete 6/28, sent update/LOI in early Nov.

Last edited:
  • Care
Pre ii R this morning, OOS complete in June
Good luck to everyone!

Man, my biggest fear rn is that my app is so trash that I’ll be rejected by a tweet next week :(

• Care
Anyone hear back recently that was complete in early Aug or later?

Anyone hear from UMich Tuesday today? They didn’t say anything on Twitter yet

I'm wondering how many more II days they will have, feel like I'm being held by such a thread

Its probably one more week. Thats how it was last year I believe

Me too! No R no II, what are we to think?
same and then I'm seeing that people are getting pre II Rs and I'm just confused as to if I'm still in the running whatever that means or if there's a group that they silently reject or if they've already decided who they are rejecting and just working down a list each week

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody that went to UM undergrad been rejected yet? Complete in July and still silence..

Has anybody that went to UM undergrad been rejected yet? Complete in July and still silence..
I went to UM and I’m experiencing silence as well. It feels possible that we didn’t even make the interview possible list :( could be rejected via tweet

I went to UM and I’m experiencing silence as well. It feels possible that we didn’t even make the interview possible list :( could be rejected via tweet
What is the interview possible list?

Is this why I have not gotten my rejection yet?

I'm not sure if that's really a thing
All ik is that for Michigan, completion date matters quite a bit, from the info they’ve released pubicly. With one week left of possible interviews and the possibility of getting rejected by a tweet (happened last year), I find it quite possible that they have a list of people that they’re actively considering, whereas the people they’re not considering/prioritizing may be rejected later via tweet or after the fact.

All of this is speculative, so don’t lose hope! I just feel that as a UM grad, I would have heard something by now.

All ik is that for Michigan, completion date matters quite a bit, from the info they’ve released pubicly. With one week left of possible interviews and the possibility of getting rejected by a tweet (happened last year), I find it quite possible that they have a list of people that they’re actively considering, whereas the people they’re not considering/prioritizing may be rejected later via tweet or after the fact.

All of this is speculative, so don’t lose hope! I just feel that as a UM grad, I would have heard something by now.
I feel the same way (also a UM grad), I was complete 6/30...just frustrating to know that "under review" could definitely just mean that you're not being considered and we just haven't told you yet. Oh well- still holding out hope for everybody here still looking for an II 🤞

When you say rejected by a tweet, are you saying that they didn't follow up with e-mails after announcing by tweet that all IIs had gone out? I find that hard to believe, given how they go out of their way to be transparent and communicative.

Unfortunately, the numbers suggest you are probably right. It has nothing to do with being a UM alum. If there are only around one or two dozen IIs left to go, and literally hundreds or thousands of people who still haven't heard, the odds are terrible.

OTOH, they were never that great to begin with, with around 500 IIs going out with over 9K applications. Your odds were always better as a UM alum (around 15% as opposed to around 5%), but still.

Since they have had several R waves, you have to assume you are being actively considered if you haven't already been rejected, even though, you are again correct insofar as they have surely made their decisions by now. The only reason everyone doesn't know is because they are sticking to a schedule, and because they will wait until the very end to let everyone know if case they need to fill in any last minute cancellations.