2021-2022 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but can we list an osteopathic medicine student for the first question or does it have to be a physician?

I dont think so i think it has to be a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I received an email today from CCOM after submitting my secondary saying this:

"We are writing to inform you that as of today, your application is incomplete and is missing certain information to complete your file.

Please remember that in order for your application to be considered further in the admissions process, you must submit all of the required information to complete your file. Only applicants who submit all of the required information are reviewed and considered for potential entrance into the program."

I submitted my secondary maybe an hour or two before this email came in - the only thing I'm missing is my MCAT because I am retaking it in September. Does this mean I won't be considered for an interview at all until after September's results come in?

Thanks in advance for any input! ^.^

Hey everyone! I received an email today from CCOM after submitting my secondary saying this:

"We are writing to inform you that as of today, your application is incomplete and is missing certain information to complete your file.

Please remember that in order for your application to be considered further in the admissions process, you must submit all of the required information to complete your file. Only applicants who submit all of the required information are reviewed and considered for potential entrance into the program."

I submitted my secondary maybe an hour or two before this email came in - the only thing I'm missing is my MCAT because I am retaking it in September. Does this mean I won't be considered for an interview at all until after September's results come in?

Thanks in advance for any input! ^.^
I just got the same email. the only thing I'm missing is the recommendation letter but it's already submitted through accomas so I'm not sure if I should submit the letter directly to CCOM or not

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the same email. the only thing I'm missing is the recommendation letter but it's already submitted through accomas so I'm not sure if I should submit the letter directly to CCOM or not
It might just be taking its time, but if it was through AACOMAS then I would think you're good already! :D

It might just be taking its time, but if it was through AACOMAS then I would think you're good already! :D
I hope so, maybe I should email them because tomorrow I'll be hitting the 2 weeks timeframe. and sorry to answer your question, I think they would offer an interview until after everything is complete including your new MCAT score? I'm not so sure tho

Hi everyone,

I am a second year at CCOM and can answer any questions you have. It’s a good school and I have enjoyed my medical education so far. However, it is worth drawing attention to the cost of attendance which I am sure you are all aware is ridiculous. It might be several months before acceptances start rolling out but I would exercise caution before signing up for what is basically the most expensive school in the country. There are reasons to do so though and I am happy to give advice or thoughts if any of you need help!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I am a second year at CCOM and can answer any questions you have. It’s a good school and I have enjoyed my medical education so far. However, it is worth drawing attention to the cost of attendance which I am sure you are all aware is ridiculous. It might be several months before acceptances start rolling out but I would exercise caution before signing up for what is basically the most expensive school in the country. There are reasons to do so though and I am happy to give advice or thoughts if any of you need help!
Thanks geebsmke! I'm interested in any pros or cons you have to share but most specifically am interested in more information on i) any opportunities for community or public health research and ii) the school's emphasis (or lack there of) on service to the underserved. I've seen some interesting student organizations and such by looking on the website but there isn't a ton of information to go off of. If you'd prefer me to message you, I'm happy to do that!

Thanks geebsmke! I'm interested in any pros or cons you have to share but most specifically am interested in more information on i) any opportunities for community or public health research and ii) the school's emphasis (or lack there of) on service to the underserved. I've seen some interesting student organizations and such by looking on the website but there isn't a ton of information to go off of. If you'd prefer me to message you, I'm happy to do that!
I am not sure about the public health research options through CCOM. I think there are some professors that do that type of research that you could contact though. Still I think it could be difficult to find that type of research through the school. But you can reach out to other schools in the area, I know students will do research with doctors from other academic institutions in Chicago. Also, we do have combined DO/MPH degree now so that could give you lot of public health research opportunities I assume. As for the underserved, there are a few clubs on campus that are involved but some of them do have limited space. You could again reach out to organizations unrelated to CCOM though if you want more options.

How much financial aid does this school give out? Anyone have any info on this?

Hi everyone,

Could you elaborate on what you perceive are some good reasons for choosing CCOM that outweigh the cost? Also, aside from the tuition, what are a few downsides? Really interested in this school and have submitted my application, but I would like to hear a current student's opinions. Thanks!

Could you elaborate on what you perceive are some good reasons for choosing CCOM that outweigh the cost? Also, aside from the tuition, what are a few downsides? Really interested in this school and have submitted my application, but I would like to hear a current student's opinions. Thanks!
The biggest reason for me was proximity to my family in Wisconsin. I am 1.5 hours away from them, rather than 7 hours if I had gone to another D.O. school I got into. I figured it would be nice to be close to family, but I did not realize just how important it would be to me. That is obviously a more personal benefit to this school. Also, as you may know, many osteopathic schools lack research opportunities for students. As the first board exam is now P/F, I believe research will be even more important than it already is. This school has many opportunities as most of the staff here do research. Also, the rotations are a benefit. Everyone seems to talk about how good the rotations are. I can’t speak to that yet as I am only a second year, but having rotations that are located in the Chicago area was a plus for me. Many other osteopathic schools will have to send their students to other areas to provide enough opportunities, I did not want to have to worry about that. I also really liked the fact that the class profile was higher and it is one of the oldest DO schools in the country.

Really the biggest downside is the tuition. If it wasn’t for the tuition, this would be a fantastic choice. Unfortunately another downside is “school spirit”. It is my OPINION that some students here seem to lack that, and I believe that to be the high cost. Another aspect that is a benefit in many ways but I also see as a bit of downside is the fact that CCOM is part of Midwestern University which has many other programs. Yes this might allow for some inter professional collaboration. But really this means that CCOM has to operate within certain rules set by Midwestern University, and so the bureaucracy can be really annoying and unhelpful.

Overall this school provides all the education and opportunities I could ask for, but it comes at a high price. If you have other reasons (family, research, etc.) then I would go for it. If not, I would maybe steer clear (kills me to say this; perhaps there are other students at CCOM with a different recommendation). You will get a good medical education at just about any other school and save over a 100k.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest reason for me was proximity to my family in Wisconsin. I am 1.5 hours away from them, rather than 7 hours if I had gone to another D.O. school I got into. I figured it would be nice to be close to family, but I did not realize just how important it would be to me. That is obviously a more personal benefit to this school. Also, as you may know, many osteopathic schools lack research opportunities for students. As the first board exam is now P/F, I believe research will be even more important than it already is. This school has many opportunities as most of the staff here do research. Also, the rotations are a benefit. Everyone seems to talk about how good the rotations are. I can’t speak to that yet as I am only a second year, but having rotations that are located in the Chicago area was a plus for me. Many other osteopathic schools will have to send their students to other areas to provide enough opportunities, I did not want to have to worry about that. I also really liked the fact that the class profile was higher and it is one of the oldest DO schools in the country.

Really the biggest downside is the tuition. If it wasn’t for the tuition, this would be a fantastic choice. Unfortunately another downside is “school spirit”. It is my OPINION that some students here seem to lack that, and I believe that to be the high cost. Another aspect that is a benefit in many ways but I also see as a bit of downside is the fact that CCOM is part of Midwestern University which has many other programs. Yes this might allow for some inter professional collaboration. But really this means that CCOM has to operate within certain rules set by Midwestern University, and so the bureaucracy can be really annoying and unhelpful.

Overall this school provides all the education and opportunities I could ask for, but it comes at a high price. If you have other reasons (family, research, etc.) then I would go for it. If not, I would maybe steer clear (kills me to say this; perhaps there are other students at CCOM with a different recommendation). You will get a good medical education at just about any other school and save over a 100k.
Could you talk about the financial aid they offer? If there is any lol

If I accidentally said "KCOM" instead of "CCOM" once in my secondary, should I kiss good bye a chance for an II. :(

Hey guys,

When you hit "verify application information" on the secondary app are your essays supposed to look like 2 big blocks of text? I tried to add line spaces in the text box but on the verification page, these don't show. Let me know how to fix this.

anyone else receive a letter in the mail about submitting the secondary for ccom? I know it doesn't mean anything but just wondering

Reactions: 2 users
anyone else receive a letter in the mail about submitting the secondary for ccom? I know it doesn't mean anything but just wondering
yeah, got one a few weeks ago. waste of paper and money if I say so myself

That’s how it is for everyone. They don’t allow multiple paragraphs
Hey guys,

When you hit "verify application information" on the secondary app are your essays supposed to look like 2 big blocks of text? I tried to add line spaces in the text box but on the verification page, these don't show. Let me know how to fix this.

Do you know whats going on rn with AZCOM interview invites? I was planning on submitting my secondaries tomorrow. Is it already late to submit considering theres now a waitlist for interviews?
No, it’s not too late to submit. The people on waitlists are generally the ones with lower mcats/GPA’s. Based on previous cycles’ threads, AZCOM waitlists people lower than 507 and 3.5 (not sure how true that is). But submit ASAP I would say!

I’m on the waitlist myself and don’t even know if they read my app or just screened my stats.

No, it’s not too late to submit. The people on waitlists are generally the ones with lower mcats/GPA’s. Based on previous cycles’ threads, AZCOM waitlists people lower than 507 and 3.5 (not sure how true that is). But submit ASAP I would say!

I’m on the waitlist myself and don’t even know if they read my app or just screened my stats.
How do you know you’re on a waitlist? Did they email you?

Hey my committee letter was uploaded to AACOMAS a few days ago but CCOM still hasnt marked it received. Has anyone else experienced LOR delays or should I contact admissions?

Hey my committee letter was uploaded to AACOMAS a few days ago but CCOM still hasnt marked it received. Has anyone else experienced LOR delays or should I contact admissions?
Just wait it out. It’s still pretty recent and they probably haven’t had time to mark it complete

Hey everyone. I got a secondary from CCOM this morning. The thing is that my GPA is a 3.9 and my MCAT is a 503 (bad testing anxiety). This is my top school. I plan on retaking the MCAT in September. Does anyone have any recommendations on if I should wait for my MCAT score to come in and then submit my secondary, or should I just submit my secondary now? I'm not sure how much my low mcat will bring down my application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Most definitely submit your secondary. Did you mark on your primary app that you're retaking the MCAT? they can see that. Even if you didn't, it will exponentially hurt you more to hold off on submitting

Most definitely submit your secondary. Did you mark on your primary app that you're retaking the MCAT? they can see that. Even if you didn't, it will exponentially hurt you more to hold off on submitting
You’re the third person I’ve seen with Azula as a profile picture is there an inside joke I’m missing

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone. I got a secondary from CCOM this morning. The thing is that my GPA is a 3.9 and my MCAT is a 503 (bad testing anxiety). This is my top school. I plan on retaking the MCAT in September, but I'm not even sure if I'll be ready for a retake in time. Does anyone have any recommendations on if I should wait for my MCAT score to come in and then submit my secondary, or should I just submit my secondary now? I'm not sure how much my low mcat will bring down my application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Hi, incoming CCOM M1 student here. I submitted my secondary within the week that I got it last year even though I was signed up for a September 28th (last MCAT of the year) test date. I would definitely suggest submitting the secondary ASAP even though you're retaking. I don't think I would have gotten in with my first score so they definitely still consider you if you're retaking.

Hi, incoming CCOM M1 student here. I submitted my secondary within the week that I got it last year even though I was signed up for a September 28th (last MCAT of the year) test date. I would definitely suggest submitting the secondary ASAP even though you're retaking. I don't think I would have gotten in with my first score so they definitely still consider you if you're retaking.
what was your first score if you don't mind me asking

You’re the third person I’ve seen with Azula as a profile picture is there an inside joke I’m missing
No inside joke, neurotic premeds just relate to Azula ig

• Haha
I am wondering if there is anyone that can point me towards the direction of information that I can use to answer the "Why Us" question. I have looked through their website and have found maybe one or two things that I can use but I definitely need more. Thank you in advance!

I am wondering if there is anyone that can point me towards the direction of information that I can use to answer the "Why Us" question. I have looked through their website and have found maybe one or two things that I can use but I definitely need more. Thank you in advance!
I have this question too!

Any idea how CCOM looks at high MCAT (>515) and low GPA (~ 3.2 sGPA (thanks AACOMAS))?

For the resume, do you guys think I need to list all of the undergraduate institutions I attended (I transferred twice) or is just the one I graduated from fine? My current resume just has the institution I graduated from.

For the resume, do you guys think I need to list all of the undergraduate institutions I attended (I transferred twice) or is just the one I graduated from fine? My current resume just has the institution I graduated from.
Probably would need to include all the institutions you've attended including high school and there on after. Thats what I did at least

hey y'all. added the midwestern's a little late... turning in my secondary today... can anyone speak in IS OOS preference? am i too late? 512+ MCAT

Can anyone provide a link to where we submitted the secondary application? I can't seem to find it in my email

Hey so I have a 3.77 and a 502 should I not submit my secondaries if they screen?