2021-2022 New York Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when this adcom meets? Look like some decisions would typically be released tomorrow but not sure with the holiday

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
not sure! But interviewed late Jan and hoping to hear back today 🤞. The wait is killing me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Almost had a heart attack at 6pm when they usually release decisions but nothing so far

Reactions: 1 user
me, an applicant also complete in July without a hold, checking my junk folder and being sad its empty for the first time in my life
i found a rejection from a different school when i looked...
haha im fine hahahaaha

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
On hold in October, OOS. I sent two updates, but I haven’t heard anything 😔

Reactions: 1 users
No hold and no II. I’m above their averages but complete like early October. Is it over for me?

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance as well, hopefully the waitlist will see some movement soon! Good luck everyone! 🍀

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
No hold and no II. I’m above their averages but complete like early October. Is it over for me?
Some reported getting II yesterday with not prior hold. So no, you’re still in the running

No hold, no II, sent 2 updates, complete 7/29, just chillin like 🙃 anyone have some words of encouragement!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys II today for mid March. For such a late interview am I essentially interviewing for wait-list? This is my last hope I'm waitlisted/rejected everywhere else so I'd really like to know. Thanks

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Hey guys II today for mid March. For such a late interview am I essentially interviewing for wait-list? This is my last hope I'm waitlisted/rejected everywhere else so I'd really like to know. Thanks
With all due respect, it's always a possibility in mid-March, but nobody knows for sure.

In any event, what's the difference? Most people who already have a better option wouldn't bother. As for everyone else, would knowing that the interview is for the WL change anything, either in their approach to the interview or in whether they would take it at all?

Would it make a difference for you? I honestly don't think it should. After all, plenty of people do get called off WLs. That's why schools bother building them, and why applicants bothering staying on them!

Congratulations on the II. Focus on doing your best, and don't worry about whether or not it's for the WL, because, if they love you, they'll find a way to get you into the class and, if they don't, it won't matter how many spots they have left to fill.

Last edited:
With all due respect, it's always a possibility in mid-March, but nobody knows for sure.

In any event, what's the difference? Most people who already have a better option wouldn't bother. As for everyone else, would knowing that the interview is for the WL change anything, either in their approach to the interview or in whether they would take it at all? Would it make a difference for you? I honestly don't think it should.
That's fair. To be honest I just want to get in and am desperate at this point.

That’s understandable. I’m waitlisted at all 3 schools I interviewed at
So except that new interview I have (which i doubt will result in an A) i also have been WL at all 3 schools i interviewed at. How do you deal with it? I'm so stressed out all the time it's messing with my life

• Care
So except that new interview I have (which i doubt will result in an A) i also have been WL at all 3 schools i interviewed at. How do you deal with it? I'm so stressed out all the time it's messing with my life
First off, you need to be more optimistic. They are investing time in interviewing you because you appear to be a viable candidate for admission, at least on paper. If the adcom shared your doubts, they'd have moved on to the next applicant, so give yourself a break!

Beyond that, it's worth remembering that a TON of people are in exactly the same position you are in right now, which is not terrible when you consider the alternative (no IIs). Statistically, 1 out of every 3 IIs results in an A, INCLUDING movement off the WL, which has not yet occurred. There are certainly no guarantees, but with 4 IIs you are more likely than not to end up with an A before all is said and done.

THAT is how you deal with it at the end of February. Get back to me at the end of June and, if things haven't changed, I'll have a different answer for you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
First off, you need to be more optimistic. They are investing time in interviewing you because you appear to be a viable candidate for admission, at least on paper. If the adcom shared your doubts, they'd have moved on to the next applicant, so give yourself a break!

Beyond that, it's worth remembering that a TON of people are in exactly the same position you are in right now, which is not terrible when you consider the alternative (no IIs). Statistically, 1 out of every 3 IIs results in an A, INCLUDING movement off the WL, which has not yet occurred. There are certainly no guarantees, but with 4 IIs you are more likely than not to end up with an A before all is said and done.

THAT is how you deal with it at the end of February. Get back to me at the end of June and, if things haven't changed, I'll have a different answer for you. :)
You're right I appreciate your response. It's just so uncertain I'm starting to think i should prepare to reapply. My MCAT expires after the next cycle...

• Care
I'm also waitlisted at 3 places and just decided to start restudying for the MCAT in case I have to reapply:sleep:

You're right I appreciate your response. It's just so uncertain I'm starting to think i should prepare to reapply. My MCAT expires after the next cycle...
There's nothing wrong with taking steps to preliminarily think about reapplying, but, honestly, with 4 IIs, it's premature.

Your MCAT would still be good for next cycle, correct? If so, have you been actively addressing any potential gaps in your application so that you would be able, if necessary, to apply next cycle with an application that is substantially better than the one you had last June?

If so, again, as nerve wracking as I know this is right now, my advice would be to get totally psyched for the NYMC interview, and then to focus on updates and letters of interest/intent to do everything possible to convert as many of the WLs to As as possible. Don't expect WL movement until at least late April, and most likely May or June.

If nothing happens by late May, and it very well might not, and if you have a reapplication that is worth submitting, I'd consider biting the bullet and submitting. It sucks to have to spend the money, but it's the smart thing to do if you have no As when the next cycle opens.

While the bulk of WL movement happens by the end of May each year, it does continue into June and even July. By the end of June, if you receive an A, you withdraw your 2022-23 application if it has not already been verified, and you are done. If you are already verified, I am pretty sure you cannot withdraw, so you just don't return secondaries, and you are done. Otherwise, if you have no As, then it's probably a busted cycle and you add the rest of your schools and go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well regarding that! Since nymc does MMI and i never did one, where could I get started on preparing for it? Help is much appreciated 👍
Lots of mocks and just focusing on strategy! The strat that helped me the most for my own MMI at a different school was "the two extremes": let's say I accidentally back into someone's car. The extreme negative thing I would do is drive off and the extreme positive is that I help the person I hit wayyyyy too much. Realistically, your answer is going to fall somewhere in the middle but it's good to acknowledge the extreme range of things you could do and explain why not to do them. That'll also make your answer more salient against follow ups like "what if that person doesn't like what you have to say and gets angry with you?"

I also watched YouTube videos about a bunch of different topics, then practiced giving a brief summary and opinion on each matter.

You could find out common examples of MMI questions but try not to craft any sort of response ahead of time. You might not get those MMI questions and if you do, your answers might sound less authentic

Did you send an update letter?

Lots of mocks and just focusing on strategy! The strat that helped me the most for my own MMI at a different school was "the two extremes": let's say I accidentally back into someone's car. The extreme negative thing I would do is drive off and the extreme positive is that I help the person I hit wayyyyy too much. Realistically, your answer is going to fall somewhere in the middle but it's good to acknowledge the extreme range of things you could do and explain why not to do them. That'll also make your answer more salient against follow ups like "what if that person doesn't like what you have to say and gets angry with you?"

I also watched YouTube videos about a bunch of different topics, then practiced giving a brief summary and opinion on each matter.

You could find out common examples of MMI questions but try not to craft any sort of response ahead of time. You might not get those MMI questions and if you do, your answers might sound less authentic
To add to this, it can be good to have a loose structure of how to address these questions, with one of the first steps being to acknowledge the problem or conflict and the viewpoints of the parties involved. Also, it is good to always take a side and justify it instead of being ambivalent about what you would do.

Thank you i appreciate your help. I am in my gap year right now so how could I get access to mock interview opportunities?

Thank you i appreciate your help. I am in my gap year right now so how could I get access to mock interview opportunities?
I would try contacting your old premed advisor. A friend and I were both interviewing for Toledo so we helped each other workshop strategy and I got helpful feedback from my old advisor (I'm in my gap year too)

Well regarding that! Since nymc does MMI and i never did one, where could I get started on preparing for it? Help is much appreciated 👍

This is fantastic advice for OP and future applicants who stumble across this thread.

To add, here's a good resource I used for MMIs: Youtube MMI Playlist

For ethical scenario-type questions, my response basically followed the same structure seen in these videos. It's just a matter of tailoring the situations to the specific question being asked. You'll get the hang of the structure after 2-3 of these videos so don't watch all of them.

I’m not expecting good news for those of us on hold lmao

Was placed on hold for an II last year but met with silence so far this year. :(

I also withdrew last week :) good luck to everyone

I wonder how far out the available interview slots are. I know that the interview season ends in March. #StillOnHold

Well for the past few years the school accepted March interviewers without putting them on the wait list. So, if you rock the interview, you'll get in!
Like others have said, focus on preparing and practicing the MMI questions.
GL!

im on the waitlist for new york medical college. i sent them an email confirming that i am still interested to remain on the watilist as per their instructions(they didnt reply to it). How likley am i to come off the waitlist and get accepted? or rather when should i expect to hear back if there is to be any good news

im on the waitlist for new york medical college. i sent them an email confirming that i am still interested to remain on the watilist as per their instructions(they didnt reply to it). How likley am i to come off the waitlist and get accepted? or rather when should i expect to hear back if there is to be any good news
Per AAMC they take 50/~250 off the waitlist. Hopefully movement will be good since they’re still sending more IIs. Do you mind saying when you were waitlisted?