2021-2022 New York Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have silence from 29/34 schools and I applied late July early August lol :(
I feel.. I had only heard from 23/26 schools until this week I got R's from three more :) edit: also submitted everywhere july- early aug

Members don't see this ad.

Take it from me when I say silence is a good thing. I'm on hold here and at 2 other schools. Beyond that I've been rejected at almost 50% of the places I applied to, some of which were dream schools. Silence would have bought me some time to send them updates. In fact, I planned on finishing updates and sending them out tomorrow, but yesterday I caught an R from a school that will now never get them. Don't let the silence get to you! Only think about what it is you can do here and now :)
I sent updates to every school I was allowed to in November (like 20) and have only gotten more silence :cryi:

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait! How complex are the MMIs? I was thinking that NYMC had quite straight forward questions... Welp! I'm interviewing in two weeks...
MMIs arent complex at all. Im just saying IF you felt you needed to write something down, then the chat box is the best place to put it.
I've only utilized this ONCE. I just wrote down some phrases or words that allowed me to set up a succinct answer, in a progression/order that I wanted.

youll be fine. Just practice orating your answer and practice being able to sit for 90 seconds, formulate your thoughts, and then talking.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Placed on hold today. Complete 8/16. Withdrawing my app. Best of luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
II received on Friday! Scheduled for the end of Jan but I think I got a cancelation because the other dates were in March.
Can any current students speak to the general weekly schedule? How much mandatory class/how many days a week do you go into campus. Do you know anyone who commutes more than 30 min? is it doable? What kind of board prep do they offer? Is there an internal rank? Normal grading scale? any and all info appreciated! TIA!
Hey! I’m a current m4, and happy to answer any questions. I don’t check the forum frequently so send a DM if I don’t answer.

I commuted from NYC for all four years and had no problem. There’s a heavier requirement to be on campus at the very beginning because of anatomy lab but otherwise it’s like 3ish days a week (sometimes every day and sometimes not at all).

For board prep we have a boot camp that’s a week long, and we also have peer learning partners who are students who did well on the boards previously and can give free tutoring (the school pays them).

Preclinical is PF but not “true” PF- you are internally ranked into buckets (outstanding, excellent, superior etc) based on all three years of grades, but the third year is weighted more than the second year is weighted more than the first year.

Reactions: 6 users
Would you be able to give us time between hold and interview invite? and did you send any updates in between?
I honestly had the impression it was a soft R so I didn't send an update. Received hold end of October. II mid Jan. Totally unexpected!

Reactions: 8 users
During the MMIs, were there acted-out scenarios, or were they basically all more of a discussion?

Members don't see this ad :)
They asked me to confirm my interview via email 5 days ago and I have not gotten a follow-up email confirming that they received it.... anyone else?? Should I send a follow-up email? Should I call?

They asked me to confirm my interview via email 5 days ago and I have not gotten a follow-up email confirming that they received it.... anyone else?? Should I send a follow-up email? Should I call?
No response required from them you're all set!

i got the same thing with no response ur all good!! they send out links and reminders in the days before

Just got the A email!! Interviewed 12/16

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I sent NYMC an update letter and thank you note yesterday after my interview. Does anyone know if they usually confirm that they received the update? Does it usually take them a couple days?

I sent NYMC an update letter and thank you note yesterday after my interview. Does anyone know if they usually confirm that they received the update? Does it usually take them a couple days?
I never received a confirmation after sending my thank you letter. not sure about updates

On hold since October 🙏🏼

• Care
Yeah I was really surprised about how quick they got back to me! I did feel really good about the interview and LM 77
whats LM 77? i also interviwed 1/10, stats are good but im super nervous cuz i had to say "I cant think of anything" to some of the follow up questions during prompts. i feel like i messed up bigley but id kinda rather be honest than make something up

whats LM 77? i also interviwed 1/10, stats are good but im super nervous cuz i had to say "I cant think of anything" to some of the follow up questions during prompts. i feel like i messed up bigley but id kinda rather be honest than make something up
I interviewed earlier this week and I gave the answer to one of the follow up questions. I was blanking out during the interview SMH! I'm really hoping it doesn't hurt us too bad!

Also, LM is LizzyM score. You can calculate it based on your MCAT and GPA scores.

I interviewed earlier this week and I gave the answer to one of the follow up questions. I was blanking out during the interview SMH! I'm really hoping it doesn't hurt us too bad!

Also, LM is LizzyM score. You can calculate it based on your MCAT and GPA scores.
oh ic thanks for explanation. i dont think its that bad for just one of them because u can mess one or two up usually and be fine. i had to say that for 3 of them hence im so worried. its a pretty nice college and one of my tops.

I wish you best of luck!!

• Care
For those who interviewed: how many MMI stations did you have? is it 2 min for reading prompt and 8 minutes for talking?

For those who interviewed: how many MMI stations did you have? is it 2 min for reading prompt and 8 minutes for talking?
I'd answer you directly, but I don't want to breach the confidentiality agreement thing they had us sign. Details on the actual structure and format of the MMIs can be found in the interview packet on the NYMC SOM Interview Day Information page they link in their interview reminder emails. Best of luck!

Do people who are not on hold here typically end up receiving Rs? I've been complete since July and I see some people are on hold. I'm not so just curious if there's a pattern.

Do people who are not on hold here typically end up receiving Rs? I've been complete since July and I see some people are on hold. I'm not so just curious if there's a pattern.
Based on last years results, I think everyone on hold was rejected. But that may change considering last cycle produced record number of applicants.

Based on last years results, I think everyone on hold was rejected. But that may change considering last cycle produced record number of applicants.
Lmao, being on hold is just ridiculously silly then in that case

Is silence here good or not so much? Haven’t heard back since submitting my secondary

Reactions: 4 users
Not really! I know someone who was taken of hold during 2019-2020 cycle, interviewed, and was accepted

It depends on cycle to cycle…

To any current students: Does anybody know if nymc has a student formal or prom?

according to someone earlier, they received an II after being on hold. Not sure how high of a chance we have but there is still a chance.

• Love
good luck to 1/10 squad. this is 4th week and I think looks of us will be hearing back. hopefully all is good news of everyone, especially people who havent gotton any A's yet

Reactions: 2 users
according to someone earlier, they received an II after being on hold. Not sure how high of a chance we have but there is still a chance.
Someone that I know who was put on Hold in Dec received an II for March yesterday!

Reactions: 5 users
Someone that I know who was put on Hold in Dec received an II for March yesterday!
I want to be that someone you know haha but I'm very happy for them and am hoping the best for all us hold folk!

Reactions: 2 users
To any current students: Does anybody know if nymc has a student formal or prom?
We had a spring formal pre-COVID. Please don’t let this be the deciding factor for which med school to go to lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone know how long they send IIs out? I've been in complete silence since I submitted my secondary in late July. :confused:

Does anyone know how long they send IIs out? I've been in complete silence since I submitted my secondary in late July. :confused:
Idk when they stop sending invites but they told me they interview until April

Reactions: 5 users