2021-2022 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What day did final decisions and Alternate list ranking come last year? I just realized my back up school has a deposit due May 1st... hope I don't have to drop that without hearing back from OHSU just as a failsafe... May 1 is a Sunday so do we think final decisions will be that Friday before?

A little neurotic I know but I'm exceptionally poor rn, as I'm sure many of you are lol
I got my alternate number and final decision in the afternoon on the 30th, so they took until the very last possible day for at least some people 😅 not sure how that’ll be this year with the 30th being a Saturday

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, does anyone know when OHSU typically sends out financial aid packages for accepted students? Trying to start building a budge and looking into housing options.

What day did final decisions and Alternate list ranking come last year? I just realized my back up school has a deposit due May 1st... hope I don't have to drop that without hearing back from OHSU just as a failsafe... May 1 is a Sunday so do we think final decisions will be that Friday before?

A little neurotic I know but I'm exceptionally poor rn, as I'm sure many of you are lol
I am literally in the same position, I'm praying I get a decision before May 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

A friend of mine who started med school a few years ahead of me gave me this advice which I think could be valid in your situation. He told me, at the end of the day, you'll probably have somewhere around $250k in debt. A $1000 deposit in the grand scheme of things is fairly irrelevant. I'm incredibly cheap but it made sense to me.

If things have not changed, all schools must notify you by the end of April whether you're accepted, waitlisted (and OHSU ranks the waitlist), or rejected. So you should be able to know by May 1 where you stand.

I got my alternate number and final decision in the afternoon on the 30th, so they took until the very last possible day for at least some people 😅 not sure how that’ll be this year with the 30th being a Saturday
I am literally in the same position, I'm paying I get a decision before May 1

Just FYI for you all, OHSU announced in an email to us that final decisions (accepted, rejected, ranked waitlist) will come by April 29th.

Assuming things stay the same from my interview cycle, they emailed me personally on that day with my position on the alternate rank list and asked if I would like to continue to be on it or if I would like to withdraw from my position.

Last edited:
I got put on hold last week. Do you think its possible to email admissions to ask where I am on the list? Just curious whether I have a serious shot or not.
Not sure anyone responded to you. To my knowledge you cannot ask where you are as they still have not decided what they will do. Unfortunately, I think you just have to wait until April 29th at the latest for them to release the final decisions on your status.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Also happy Thursday, here’s your Thursday meme. Gotta admit I’m running out of material guys

AD1C0532-C509-4609-908A-AA0F91A24092.jpeg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hey all, does anyone know when OHSU typically sends out financial aid packages for accepted students? Trying to start building a budge and looking into housing options.
No idea actually. I read somewhere it was June. I recommend asking the Facebook group that current students created for us if you’ve been accepted. They can probably give you an idea.

Last edited:
Hold just now, still have hope! Good luck to everyone else

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hold just now, still have hope! Good luck to everyone else
I hope to be your classmate next year. I know this isn't the outcome you've really been hoping for, but I think I can speak for everyone on this SDN thread that we are rooting for you!!!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Hold 2/25/22, interview and MMI 12/14/21.

Not exactly the news I'd hoped for, but at this point I'd gladly take "We acknowledge you exist, and ehhh we'll see" over two more months of silence and compulsively checking the applicant portal. Looking forward to 4/29/22 and hopefully some good news!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today! IS. Interviewed second week of Jan. LM 64.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Accepted IS 2/23! MMI on 10/14. Placed on hold 12/28. So excited!!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
@BigPremedGuy It is Thursday. We were promised a premed meme. Where is our premed meme. You're our only premed hope.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh @BigPremedGuy we summon you, that you would bless us this Thursday with a meme and relieve our suffering

Reactions: 2 users
Ask and ye shall receive
34831FC1-9D47-4F95-9F75-1B33133D58F1.jpeg

If ya know ya know

Reactions: 14 users
Are accepted students always notified by email? I don't want to obsessively check the portal unless there is a chance it is good news that I wouldn't otherwise be notified of lol

Are accepted students always notified by email? I don't want to obsessively check the portal unless there is a chance it is good news that I wouldn't otherwise be notified of lol
I was accepted via portal ~5 days before I received an email confirmation.

"Hey Siri, how many days have passed since 10/14?"

"It was 140 days ago."

"👁️👄👁️"

Hold just now. Interviewed week of 10/25. Anxiously awaiting 4/30 ❤️

• Care
Does anyone know what the dates are for the summer break between M1 and M2? Trying to plan a wedding!

OHSU M1 here. This year it's June 20-24. For 2023, who knows? Maybe the week after Father's day again?
Ah, but there won't be a summer break next year. We'll have one this summer, then an extra week of winter break this year, and then no summer break at all next summer.

Sorry @warriorofworry. If it is your wedding you might think about fall break or spring break instead.

Ah, but there won't be a summer break next year. We'll have one this summer, then an extra week of winter break this year, and then no summer break at all next summer.

Sorry @warriorofworry. If it is your wedding you might think about fall break or spring break instead.
Darn that sucks, I didn’t realize that was changing. Is there schedule that can be viewed anywhere or does that come out at a later date?

Accepted IS today! So excited!

Reactions: 6 users
No idea actually. I read somewhere it was June. I recommend asking the Facebook group that current students created for us if you’ve been accepted. They can probably give you an idea.
I was accepted a couple days ago and requested to join that group. Do you know how to get into it?

A this past week; interviewed mid Feb, IS, LM 73!

• Care
Anyone who was in the nosebleeds on the alternate list in prior applications secure the A this year or in the past?

When I applied 2 years ago I was in the 170s on the alternate list and in the midst of my present neuroticism that feels insurmountable to get an outright A or a low A.L. spot. Just looking for some hopeful anecdotes lol.

Anyone who was in the nosebleeds on the alternate list in prior applications secure the A this year or in the past?

When I applied 2 years ago I was in the 170s on the alternate list and in the midst of my present neuroticism that feels insurmountable to get an outright A or a low A.L. spot. Just looking for some hopeful anecdotes lol.
Same here, except that I applied last year. I have already given up and have started taking Computer Science classes to pursue a career in software engineering. I don't believe anymore that becoming a medical doctor is worth all my anguish for the last several months or the future effort and financial cost I would need to put in for the next few years.

I remember you from my cycle and was pulling for you!

I have not been in your position. I was lucky enough to get in on my first try (and really, SO much of it is luck). But I'm writing to let you know that a HUGE proportion of my class is made up of repeat applicants. Seriously, there are so many people who I would have pegged as top choices who were either waitlisted or outright rejected by OHSU on their first cycle.

Keep the faith! This is a new cycle. Remember that the vast majority of OHSU acceptees are notified at the end of the cycle. And if OHSU interviewed you again, then they're interested.

You're in with a shot. I'm wishing you the best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
The first year I applied I was put on hold until the waitlist came out and then rejected without being ranked. I applied the next cycle with a pretty similar application and maybe a slightly better interview and was accepted outright. This was a couple years ago but tons of people in the class were reapplicants.

One month since my interview, not a peep, I really feel for you guys who waited months to hear anything.

I’ve said this once before but I think it bears repeating. The first two times I applied to med school (applications spaced out by about 3 years), I didn’t get a single interview. The third and final time I applied, I got 3 interviews total and then waitlisted for OHSU and one other program. Probably paid for around 80 applications in total over all my attempts. I definitely wasn’t up in the 170’s that final time but based on the historical data I was right at the potential cutoff of acceptance. Even had a spreadsheet and used trends to try and estimate exactly what day I might find out if I got in or not. Ended up making it in very late in the cycle. Point being, apparently my two previously failed attempts at even securing an interview didn’t preclude me from securing one on the third attempt, and they obviously didn’t impact me negatively as far as alternate placement and finally getting in. Try not to let the neuroticism get you. Just because you were 170 the first time doesn’t mean you’ll end up stuck there again.