2021-2022 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody received a II yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the secondary! cheers to the small victories

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just submitted my secondary!

Submitted my secondary last night

I still have not received a secondary invite and my stats are 3.8 GPA with a 508 MCAT. I'm unsure as to why I haven't heard anything. I got the email that they received my application on June 12th and I'm pretty sure I met the prereqs. I am a TX resident as well. Is there something else I might be missing?

I still have not received a secondary invite and my stats are 3.8 GPA with a 508 MCAT. I'm unsure as to why I haven't heard anything. I got the email that they received my application on June 12th and I'm pretty sure I met the prereqs. I am a TX resident as well. Is there something else I might be missing?
Maybe try contacting their admissions? I received my secondary within 3 days of submitting AACOMAS with much lower stats than yours so I’m stumped why you wouldn’t have gotten a secondary. Did you check your junk email

I would reach out to them. I received my secondary 3 days after sending my primary app. I have a lower mcat than you and plus I am an OOS applicant. Their admission office is very good at replying to emails.

Maybe try contacting their admissions? I received my secondary within 3 days of submitting AACOMAS with much lower stats than yours so I’m stumped why you wouldn’t have gotten a secondary. Did you check your junk email
I would reach out to them. I received my secondary 3 days after sending my primary app. I have a lower mcat than you and plus I am an OOS applicant. Their admission office is very good at replying to emails.
I checked my junk mail and nothing. But thanks for the suggestions! I'll def contact them.

does this school accept update letters?
Under FAQ it says:

"Can I update my application?

We encourage you to update your application throughout our admissions process. Please be sure to provide AACOMAS with your most recent grades and MCAT scores during the application process to ensure that our Admissions Committee has the opportunity to review your most current application information. You may also update your contact information through your AACOMAS portal at any time."

Hey yall

OMS-I here and we only just started a few weeks ago but if you guys have any questions feel free to shoot!!

Hey yall

OMS-I here and we only just started a few weeks ago but if you guys have any questions feel free to shoot!!
How’s the curriculum? Since it’s a faith based school is there anything you have to study that other schools don’t (like mandatory Bible study or something) or the opposite- anything UIWSOM might be omitting from the curriculum?

Hey yall

Any idea when Admissions Office will send out II's ?
Last year they sent them around 8/10.

Reactions: 2 users
Any idea when Admissions Office will send out II's ?
Last year they sent them around 8/10.
Should be anytime now, was complete last year at the end of August and interviewed in December

How’s the curriculum? Since it’s a faith based school is there anything you have to study that other schools don’t (like mandatory Bible study or something) or the opposite- anything UIWSOM might be omitting from the curriculum?
Lots of good things about the curriculum so far, P/F classes is massively huge, everyone is very collaborative. First two years you have 4 classes: small group, large group lecture, clinical skills, and anatomy (plus other stuff). Seems like they do a good job of getting you around the other students. The school is also taking COVID very seriously, esp with how bad its getting in SA recently, so that's good. I've really loved it here so far.

My christian faith is pretty important to me so I love the faith aspect of the school, but there no required religious classes or anything like that. We have quite a few Muslims from what I can tell, and I'm sure other religions are represented. We have a chapel in the main building so that kind of stuff is there if you want it but nothing shoved down your throat so dont worry.

Reactions: 3 users
II just a few minutes ago. What a great way to start the weekend!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
II a few minutes agooo!!! This is my first invite, super excited!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
this is probably a dumb question so pls don’t judge but they won’t send out an II unless all your letters are in correct? The hardest part is waiting on my letter writers. I wish I could explain to them how crucial it was to get them in ASAP without coming across as rude.

For those that recieved a II, could yall share your stats/when yall were complete? Thank you!

this is probably a dumb question so pls don’t judge but they won’t send out an II unless all your letters are in correct? The hardest part is waiting on my letter writers. I wish I could explain to them how crucial it was to get them in ASAP without coming across as rude.
Correct ! Also, make sure they put it on a letterhead and it is signed. If you're using Interfolio, a person checks for signature and letterhead.
A MD or DO letter is needed.

Last edited:
Those who received an interview invite could you please share stats and date of completion?

Hey yall

what is it like living in San antonio? how far do most students live from campus?

Hi ya'll! II now, I am nontraditional in- state with 504 MCAT and 3.5 cGPA, with 2.5 years research at Upenn. Good luck everyone, rooting for you!

Reactions: 5 users
Honestly same position...I am trying to contain myself from sending email after email to the guy who's supposed to be writing my last letter. I am utterly infuriated with their attitude especially since they know I am trying to get into medical school this cycle. I really wish I had just not asked for a letter to begin with from this faculty.

Honestly same position...I am trying to contain myself from sending email after email to the guy who's supposed to be writing my last letter. I am utterly infuriated with their attitude especially since they know I am trying to get into medical school this cycle. I really wish I had just not asked for a letter to begin with from this faculty.
Dude i know it is honestly heartbreaking lol. Oh well i guess i should be making the most out of this opportunity to work on my patience 🙃

For II, please share stats :) Just want to know what stats range this school is sending II to now. Also, GOOD LUCK!

Current UIWSOM student (all of three weeks into the OMS-I year!) If anyone has any questions about what the interview was like or what life is like thus far as a student here, please feel free to ask.

Current UIWSOM student (all of three weeks into the OMS-I year!) If anyone has any questions about what the interview was like or what life is like thus far as a student here, please feel free to ask.
Any input on the interview style and what it was like would be so appreciated!

For II, please share stats :) Just want to know what stats range this school is sending II to now. Also, GOOD LUCK!
I would caution you that stats are not the end all be all for UIWSOM. From my experience, unlike many schools, UIWSOM really is looking to put together a class that exemplifies service, humanistic principals, osteopathic medicine, and collegiality. Having a 4.0 and 528 MCAT, while impressive, may not be the thing that sells it for the admissions committee. My point is to make sure that you are paying attention to ALL areas of your application. Make sure that your answer to the question, shows a deep understanding of osteopathic medicine and a desire to serve the community. Of all the DO schools that I interviewed at, I felt like UIWSOM really did, more so than the other programs that I interviewed at, try to select candidates who exemplify these qualities and there are plenty of students in my class that have MCATs and GPAs that conventional wisdom says shouldn't have been given a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Any input on the interview style and what it was like would be so appreciated!
The interview last cycle (and I've not heard about any changes to this format; one of my mentees just got an II and the email said the same thing as my email did last cycle) was MMI format. We sign a NDA so I will not discuss the questions, but you'll have several MMI one-on-one MMI stations, a written exercise (i.e., a prompt that you have to respond to), a group exercise, and there is a "waiting room" where you'll be able to talk to an OMS-II or III. Overall, the MMI format, I thought, was GREAT because it gives you the chance to show your breadth of knowledge on the things that they ask about. They were all very conversational and friendly and of all the interviews that I had last cycle, it was by far the most comforting to me.

Reactions: 2 users
what is it like living in San antonio? how far do most students live from campus?
It's an amazing city! Very diverse population, fun things to do downtown, and beautiful Texas countryside once you get out of the city. There are a bunch of apartments near campus so most of us first years live pretty close, a lot of students live a little further away since there's more stuff in the north part of the city. The south part, where the school is, is underserved. The area around campus is pretty nice though I will say

For the people who got IIs, when were you complete? I am curious to see if they are going in order of completion.

For those that recieved a II, could yall share your stats/when yall were complete? Thank you!
OOS Nontraditional MCAT 502, cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.76, LM 64 complete Supplement on 6/23

Last edited: