2021-2022 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Manifesting an A! Come on Monday show us some love!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I called a school I’m WL at and I’m currently #2. Do you think I should start the AMCAS app for 2022-2023 since WL movement has been slower?
I am shocked they told you where you were ranked (but happy for you). I wish all schools did this lol

I called a school I’m WL at and I’m currently #2. Do you think I should start the AMCAS app for 2022-2023 since WL movement has been slower?
Did you just straight up ask them for your ranking? If it is a bigger school I'd say you have a really good chance of getting a call, if it is a smaller school/WL I would still say you have a good chance, but hard to know

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, they actually gave you your placement number! I don’t know which school this is, but they are great already! Is it a high priority waitlist? Regular?

One of the schools I'm WL at is Ranked but their policy is not to reveal where applicants are on there. The other two are both unranked so more limbo and uncertainty rip lol

Can i please know the school name lol??

Also, it depends I think! Like one school i am WLed at takes 15 students out of 200. Another school takes like 80 students from WL

I just called to ask about WL movement for planning for next cycle and then my rank was given. Both schools im WL at I periodically check in to see how the WL movement is going compared to previous years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also manifesting an A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
MANIFEST MONDAY TRAIN!!! May our schools choo choo-se us this fine week.

Seeing people get off of the WL at my dream school so I think it's about time to hop on the manifestation train! I know good things are coming my way, and all your ways as well!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Fresh manifesting for an A this week from my top choice!!! ✨please✨

Manifesting Monday? I love it !! Manifesting moving from a WL to an A at my dream school. Had my eyes on them since the beginning ✨✨✨

does anyone have thoughts on whether it might be okay to call the admissions office about waitlist movement?

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Thinking the same thing. Want to ask, but don’t want to bother.
Calling/Asking once is probably not a problem as long as you arent harasssing I dont think. Some schools do like to see interest.

I’ve lurked in this thread for too long. I’m manifesting an A for my one and only waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone have thoughts on whether it might be okay to call the admissions office about waitlist movement?
I can assure you having gone through 2 cycles of waitlists: 1) calling gives you no advantage over anyone else, theyre not going to tell you anything spefici (no pros) 2) Cons: you are annoying (yes, admissions office people remember the annoying ones) and its just not going to bring you any happiness.

The really really hard part about the waitlist is that for most of us type As(almost everyone) for the first time in awhile we are COMPLETEly out of control of the situation. The reality is the waitlist is formed, and will proceed based on the actions that were made many many months ago and nothing that we say or do is going to influence it (possible a LOI but thats it). So the best thing to do is to log off this "support thread" and go spend time with friends and family on this beautiful day. The more you can disconnect, and even though this is called a support thread, the happier you will be :). Good things are coming from everyone and its best to take it all in before you start med school.

Reactions: 5 users
Friends... I got the call today... I was accepted off the waitlist to start medical school this fall. Thank you all for all of the support through this journey; it's been one heck of a process just getting to the starting line. I'm sending good thoughts to everyone still waiting to hear about waitlist movement. You got this!

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
Hello all,

What are your thoughts on including lower cost of attendance/in-state tuition as reasons for wanting to get accepted when writing updates and/or LOIs to get off a WL (like when comparing to a current acceptance with a way higher cost)? Is it frowned upon to mention money?

Will clarify this would be perhaps the last of several stronger reasons (including the fit of the school, professional goals, etc) but if it were expanded upon the fact that the applicant has supported themselves (no parental support or otherwise) throughout college and was looking for a more financially sound situation.

Should it just be avoided altogether?

TIA! It is really appreciated.
While it’s a legitimate reason for why students stay in-state, I personally wouldn’t mention anything about the instate tuition in the update/letter. I think medical schools already understand the appeal of going to an in-state school. You could talk about your ties to the state itself and desire to begin training and serving the community you hope to eventually continue to serve as a physician? But only if you have the space since there’s limited space on letters (I had to cut down a lot).

I think spending more time elaborating on what the school has to offer/why you’d fit is more meaningful than just listing off a lot of reasons without much discussion of them.

Friends... I got the call today... I was accepted off the waitlist to start medical school this fall. Thank you all for all of the support through this journey; it's been one heck of a process just getting to the starting line. I'm sending good thoughts to everyone still waiting to hear about waitlist movement. You got this!
Congratulations future doctor! We love to see it!

• Care
While it’s a legitimate reason for why students stay in-state, I personally wouldn’t mention anything about the instate tuition in the update/letter. I think medical schools already understand the appeal of going to an in-state school. You could talk about your ties to the state itself and desire to begin training and serving the community you hope to eventually continue to serve as a physician? But only if you have the space since there’s limited space on letters (I had to cut down a lot).

I think spending more time elaborating on what the school has to offer/why you’d fit is more meaningful than just listing off a lot of reasons without much discussion of them.
Do you think proximity to family and SO is a compelling reason and a main point to elaborate in a LOI? My family lives like 30 min away from the school and SO recently got into a grad program in the same city.

I kinda feel like I took an L lol, I wrote a letter to my top choice school & submitted it last night thinking that they still hadn't had a lot of WL movement yet... only to just realize that they had their biggest wave yet of WL movement last week 🤦‍♂️ Hopefully they're not done with WL movement yet and they appreciate my letter :'(

• Care
Do you think proximity to family and SO is a compelling reason and a main point to elaborate in a LOI? My family lives like 30 min away from the school and SO recently got into a grad program in the same city.
Yes wondering this too....

1652748892874.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
There's a decent chance I'll receive a decision tomorrow. Manifesting an A! Especially since I'm going back home next week after a year of being away. Would love to have some good news for my family and friends.

I can assure you having gone through 2 cycles of waitlists: 1) calling gives you no advantage over anyone else, theyre not going to tell you anything spefici (no pros) 2) Cons: you are annoying (yes, admissions office people remember the annoying ones) and its just not going to bring you any happiness.

The really really hard part about the waitlist is that for most of us type As(almost everyone) for the first time in awhile we are COMPLETEly out of control of the situation. The reality is the waitlist is formed, and will proceed based on the actions that were made many many months ago and nothing that we say or do is going to influence it (possible a LOI but thats it). So the best thing to do is to log off this "support thread" and go spend time with friends and family on this beautiful day. The more you can disconnect, and even though this is called a support thread, the happier you will be :). Good things are coming from everyone and its best to take it all in before you start med school.
My PI told me that she's always pursuing multiple avenues of funding, publication, etc. at the same time. Likewise, she's working on multiple goals at the same time, whether it be growing some house plants or writing a new grant. That way, she's never waiting on one thing to work out. In essence, her advice is all about not putting all your eggs in one basket. Even though it's a bit different from med school (since med school is sort of a final finish line in a multi-year marathon called "premed"), the advice can still apply to us.

I am by no means an expert (there’s a reason I’m on this thread haha 🥲). But in my opinion, the letter of intent should be explaining why you’re an ideal candidate and why they should pick you out of the x number of other students on that list. Unless your family is a dean of that school or something, then I don’t think it’s a compelling reason for the school to accept you, since there are students willing to go to the school even without family nearby. If you’re an in-state applicant then they can see that on your application and will already understand the appeal of being near family (without you having to write about it). If you’re an out of state resident and have space in your letter, then maybe you can tack on that you have family there to explain your connection to the school/area you’d be training in and desire to be there? Again, I don’t know. I really didn’t have much space on my letter to include any of that but I also included updates. My in-state school also had a separate supplemental essay where we had to write our ties to the state.

By writing a letter of intent, you’re already telling them you will go no matter what, so I don’t think you have to provide external reasons (such as family nearby) as to why you’d attend their school.

Last edited:
I am currently on a WL (that would mean the world to me if I was accepted), and a thought occurred to me. While I sincerely wish that everyone here gets accepted, there are far more people on many WL’s than will get off of them, as movement has slowed down now. Why do school’s not notify individuals that they are rejected once said individuals have no realistic chance of admission? I understand that schools want to fill their classes and avoid having any unfilled positions, but surely (depending on class size and WL size) they can remove some WL’d applicants who have no realistic chance of admission.

For example, say a class size of 200 has 200 WL’d applicants in mid-May. This seems a logical scenario. I imagine it would be quite unlikely that even 40 got off the WL. Why not cut the lower ranked half of them?

One caveat to what I propose above is that some schools that have unranked WL’s. Personally, I imagine there is some form of ranking. For example, it would seem to me that an applicant with 3.9/515 would surely have a better chance than an individual with 3.7/514 (with similar EC’s). As GPA/MCAT separation increases, the gap widens more. I'm sure there are other objective and subjective metrics that can be used to cut.

From lived experience (more like ‘living’!) I would greatly appreciate hearing that I was rejected, if I had no realistic chance of admission, as this would allow me to move on with my next steps without potentially wasting an investment of time/energy/money, and also for peace of mind.

I acknowledge that I don’t know everything that goes on behind the admissions curtain, but from my perspective, it appears that schools could do a better job of handling WL’s. Is it just more work for school’s to notify applicants who will, with near absolute certainty, not make it off the WL that they are rejected sooner or are there are other reasons? It does not seem like it would be detrimental to school’s to remove some WL’d applicants, and I’m sure many others aside from myself would really appreciate the closure even if it wasn't the news we hoped for.

Again, best of luck to everyone here, it brings happiness to me when I see someone get an A here (yes, I have been lurking)! I was just thinking about this topic to myself and wondering if anyone has insight into this.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone on here waiting to get off a waitlist when they already have an A?

I understand this is such a silly thing to ask, considering some people have no A, but was just wondering!

It’s honestly so stressful because CTE is coming up and getting off a waitlist could be the difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars and proximity to family.

Also not sure if If I should give up this point because As off waitlist might be preferred to someone with no A’s (totally makes sense).

Reactions: 7 users
If that’s the case I would absolutely elaborate! Having your support network nearby plays a part in making you resilient and thus more likely to succeed for your sake and to some extent for the schools own interest. Now it’s not going to guarantee anything but it would also probably make your letter more memorable, real, and sentimental. Remember ethos, logos, and pathos if you wanna get cerebral. Our letters of recc are ethos. Our grades and scores are logos. The essays and letters are pathos. Use it if you have it.

Don't give up hope, guys! Went to a meeting yesterday regarding my school's WL and she said they're anticipating making more calls and that it's still early! And it's a pretty small school too. I can imagine for larger schools, there will still be plenty of movement. Albeit the school's CTE is pretty late, it's still possible as more ppl drop each day.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
On the WL of my favorite school and dying to find out if they are full and not expecting any more movements. Their admissions team is working remotely and said we should ask any questions by email, but I'm wondering whether they will tell me anything if I ask about WL status in an email...
That being said, good luck to everyone who's still waiting! Manifesting an A and hope we all have something to pull us out of disappointment

On the WL of my favorite school and dying to find out if they are full and not expecting any more movements. Their admissions team is working remotely and said we should ask any questions by email, but I'm wondering whether they will tell me anything if I ask about WL status in an email...
That being said, good luck to everyone who's still waiting! Manifesting an A and hope we all have something to pull us out of disappointment
This could just be optimism, but I feel like they would tell you if they do not expect more movement. If it is anything other than that, you'll get the typical "wait and see" response. I could be wrong though.

Anyone else waiting for a miracle A 😩🤞

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I am currently on a WL (that would mean the world to me if I was accepted), and a thought occurred to me. While I sincerely wish that everyone here gets accepted, there are far more people on many WL’s than will get off of them, as movement has slowed down now. Why do school’s not notify individuals that they are rejected once said individuals have no realistic chance of admission? I understand that schools want to fill their classes and avoid having any unfilled positions, but surely (depending on class size and WL size) they can remove some WL’d applicants who have no realistic chance of admission.

For example, say a class size of 200 has 200 WL’d applicants in mid-May. This seems a logical scenario. I imagine it would be quite unlikely that even 40 got off the WL. Why not cut the lower ranked half of them?

One caveat to what I propose above is that some schools that have unranked WL’s. Personally, I imagine there is some form of ranking. For example, it would seem to me that an applicant with 3.9/515 would surely have a better chance than an individual with 3.7/514 (with similar EC’s). As GPA/MCAT separation increases, the gap widens more. I'm sure there are other objective and subjective metrics that can be used to cut.

From lived experience (more like ‘living’!) I would greatly appreciate hearing that I was rejected, if I had no realistic chance of admission, as this would allow me to move on with my next steps without potentially wasting an investment of time/energy/money, and also for peace of mind.

I acknowledge that I don’t know everything that goes on behind the admissions curtain, but from my perspective, it appears that schools could do a better job of handling WL’s. Is it just more work for school’s to notify applicants who will, with near absolute certainty, not make it off the WL that they are rejected sooner or are there are other reasons? It does not seem like it would be detrimental to school’s to remove some WL’d applicants, and I’m sure many others aside from myself would really appreciate the closure even if it wasn't the news we hoped for.

Again, best of luck to everyone here, it brings happiness to me when I see someone get an A here (yes, I have been lurking)! I was just thinking about this topic to myself and wondering if anyone has insight into this.
AMEN, brother/sister!

Reactions: 3 users
If a school I'm WL at has said that the class is "tentatively full" does this means that there is a full class PTE there? They said that movement can happen until classes start but the likelihood of this is very small right? Like the odds someone who is PTE gets of a waitlist somewhere else at this point + pick that school over this one + I am the one person the school calls is very very small I'm assuming. Especially since the WL is unranked and pretty large.

CTE isn't until early July but as far as managing expectations go I should pretty much assume that any WL movement is effectively over, right?