2021-2022 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is two gap years bad?
My kid got 1 interview his first year out of school and 10 interviews and 4 acceptances with a much strengthened resume after his 2nd gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
More likely than what? High stat applicants, IS and OOS, always have a edge.

That said, if anything should be clear from even a very superficial glance at the posts on SDN, a helluva lot more than stats goes into a med school acceptance. A TON of people with less than exceptional stats are successful, from the earliest acceptances in October through WL acceptances in June and July. At the same time, there are certainly people with spectacular stats that have other deficiencies in their applications that cause them to become reapplicants.

TLDR -- all things equal, high stats are always better than low stats, but all things are rarely equal. High stats are no more important in June than they are in October.

Can confirm that high stats don’t an application make. I got one II straight to R my first cycle with 100th percentile stats. If you don’t have sufficient clinical experiences and well-written essays, high stats can’t magic you in. If two applicants are equal in every other way, then yes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Praying for everyone on these waitlists. We’re in this together!

Reactions: 4 users
Hoping this brings me luck for my top medical school! fingers crossed for everyone on here too

not to be a downer, but realistically how long can we hope for WL movement?

I've already made a plan for reapplying this coming cycle but sometimes I think "nahhh don't work yourself into the ground. just wait a lil longer"

I've already made a plan for reapplying this coming cycle but sometimes I think "nahhh don't work yourself into the ground. just wait a lil longer"
I mean unfortunately you have to keep moving without losing hope. What’s the worst that can happen? You take the MCAT again? Submit the new app? Even if you get an acceptance after all that you’re not gonna care cus you’re in!!! Just keep moving but stay hopeful!

Very low. CTE deadline for SOME schools was June 1st so that would've been the last big flurry if anything at all. Now, I'd say most people are set and locked in. If someone has to drop for some reason, then they'd offer a seat but even then, it's slim. Say there are 200 or so people on a waitlist and they have 1 open seat. You now have to compete with 199 other people. 0.5% chance. Of course that one person out of 200 might just be the one to come on here and post that they got accepted and make it seem like there's lots of movement. Obviously there are other factors to consider, but it is medical school so it's tough. The people on here providing support are fantastic and are utilizing the thread well, as it should be. But posts on here may give you a false sense of hope.

Realistically, it would help to plan for a reapplication. I would go ahead and reapply and if at some point you get accepted, then if I were you, I'd definitely withdraw my AMCAS and go to that school. But I wouldn't risk being late in the next cycle and lowering your odds for your reapplication too. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ok cool, thanks for the advice yall

(realistically, i feel like i know the answers to all my existential crisis questions. it just helps to hear them from someone else lol 🥲)

Very low. CTE deadline for most schools was June 1st so that would've been the last big flurry if anything at all. Now, I'd say most people are set and locked in. If someone has to drop for some reason, then they'd offer a seat but even then, it's slim. Say there are 200 or so people on a waitlist and they have 1 open seat. You now have to compete with 199 other people. 0.5% chance. Of course that one person out of 200 might just be the one to come on here and post that they got accepted and make it seem like there's lots of movement. Obviously there are other factors to consider, but it is medical school so it's tough. The people on here providing support are fantastic and are utilizing the thread well, as it should be. But posts on here may give you a false sense of hope.

Realistically, it would help to plan for a reapplication. I would go ahead and reapply and if at some point you get accepted, then if I were you, I'd definitely withdraw my AMCAS and go to that school. But I wouldn't risk being late in the next cycle and lowering your odds for your reapplication too. Hope this helps.
Very, very, very untrue. Very, very, very few schools have deadlines on or before June 1st.

It's true that the biggest movement is in the first few weeks of May, but movement can and does continue through June and into July.

For the record, CTE deadlines do NOT cause big flurries of anything, other than people who were waiting for WL movement elsewhere to convert their PTEs to CTEs. Movement occurs when people drop multiple As, not when they change a plan to a commitment.

All of this said, yes, if you didn't have an A, you should have been planning to reapply since early spring. The fact that you might be called off a WL in May, June or July is no reason to put off planning and submitting a reapplication until August.

Last edited:
  • Love

Honestly, from what Ive been able to tell.. no one has any idea. Some schools have not even started movement yet, some have said they won't have any. This whole process seems very disorganized and there just really isn't any way to tell when it will be fully "over" no matter how hard we try.

Like everyone else is saying, prepare for the worst.

Reactions: 1 user
I should also add that I'm only speaking for the few MD programs I'm waitlisted at. No expert or anything. One of the schools said they plan on accepting 5-10 more people off the WL (based on trends) in the 3rd week of May and there are "flurries" at end of May early June. Another school that I called said that the committee would be meeting on June 1st to accept people for the CTE deadline for those who drop to go to another school or something.

@KnightDoc thanks for your insight. What would compel someone to drop an acceptance? Technically somewhere down the chain, a student would have to defer an A or drop out entirely to facilitate that movement right? It seemed not as common to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should also add that I'm only speaking for the few MD programs I'm waitlisted at. No expert or anything. One of the schools said they plan on accepting 5-10 more people off the WL (based on trends) in the 3rd week of May and there are "flurries" at end of May early June. Another school that I called said that the committee would be meeting on June 1st to accept people for the CTE deadline for those who drop to go to another school or something.

@KnightDoc thanks for your insight. What would compel someone to drop an acceptance? Technically somewhere down the chain, a student would have to defer an A or drop out entirely to facilitate that movement right? It seemed not as common to me.
Are you asking before or after the CTE deadline? Before, they drop acceptances when they receive calls from other WLs. Same thing after, if the school calling is not playing by the rules and is willing to poach people who are CTE elsewhere.

Believe it or not, such schools do exist. Every school is not requiring its accepted students to use CYMS at all. In addition, people get cold feet, have familiy emergencies, etc. You are correct that it's not common, but, with 22,000+ people, it does happen at least a few times every cycle.

I just found out that my MCAT from September 2019 won't be considered for cycle 2022-23. So devastating...

If it was taken within 3 years of date of application.

Last edited:
So would my July 2020 MCAT be good for next cycle?
Each school is different. You will be fine at the vast majority of schools, so there is no reason to retake it for the one or two outliers, but you should definitely check with each school, either on MSAR or their website, before wasting time and money on applications that won't be considered without a retake. A very few schools won't take MCATs older than July, August or September 2020, since they won't go more than 3 years beyond their matriculation date.

I just found out that my MCAT from September 2019 won't be considered for cycle 2022-23. So devastating...
There’s 10ish MD and 10ish DO schools that will accept a 2019 MCAT for the 22-23 cycle.

All three of my waitlisted schools had movement yesterday and I didn't get anything. I should probably get off this website for a while lol 😭

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
I’m still in shock while writing this but…I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO MCW!!!! I’m gonna be an MD!

I know you guys probably don’t want to hear anything motivational so I’ll leave by saying that I genuinely hope everyone here gets accepted. This process is unforgiving and only people that have gone through it know how it feels. The hopelessness, anxiety, depressive moments. It all paid off. You guys are wonderful and supportive and deserve to have your hard work noticed. Best of luck to everyone waiting. All love ✌️

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 28 users
Thanks, that's really great to hear. I am really trying to widen my net for next cycle and include more MD and DO schools and hopefully I'll be much more successful with my newly bolstered application. It sounds like your son will make a great doctor!
My kid got an extra 2000 hours of doctor office experience in his second gap year plus about 200 hours of additional volunteer work. He only applied to med schools the first time out but his second time he added 5 DO schools. He got interviews at 6 med schools and 4 DO schools. Accepted at 2 of each. He had no final rejections at the point in time when he asked for removal from wait lists. Another note, he had no acceptances straight up, all were off waiting lists. So there is always hope til the end. I wish you all the luck and Godspeed as you go forward. You'll make it!!

Not much of a manifest-er but let’s kick off the manifest Monday today 🎉 on 4 WL all schools that I would be honored to attend 😭

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Planning to submit my primary by the end of the week, manifesting that i don't have to

Reactions: 6 users
Fourth manifestation here! Wishing I could cash in my good karma right about now for an A.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hello all. Good luck to everyone on WLs there's still plenty of time left for it to happen. Keep the hope alive.

Had a question and wanted some advice or insight on if anyone could be kind enough to offer any. Has anyone had any experience, or heard of anything, with respect to asking a school to extend their CTE date for an accepted student? Full disclosure it would be in order to remain on another school's WL (the other school has profound geographical reasons related to family that make it way more desirable). I understand no school wants to hear from an applicant that they don't want to commit just yet but would it really be that bad if the reasons were described tactfully and honestly? It's not that they would be unhappy at the accepted school it's just that the other one is way better fit for the reasons I mention above. Also, the CTE date for the accepted school seems to be on the earlier side compared to their start date (almost 2 months when I heard it is recommended to only be 3 weeks).

Any insight?

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, it’s time for me to join in on this. Manifest Monday lets goooooooooo.

C’mon Wayne State
C’mon WMed

I’m right here 🥲🥲🥲

• Care
Hello all. Good luck to everyone on WLs there's still plenty of time left for it to happen. Keep the hope alive.

Had a question and wanted some advice or insight on if anyone could be kind enough to offer any. Has anyone had any experience, or heard of anything, with respect to asking a school to extend their CTE date for an accepted student? Full disclosure it would be in order to remain on another school's WL (the other school has profound geographical reasons related to family that make it way more desirable). I understand no school wants to hear from an applicant that they don't want to commit just yet but would it really be that bad if the reasons were described tactfully and honestly? It's not that they would be unhappy at the accepted school it's just that the other one is way better fit for the reasons I mention above. Also, the CTE date for the accepted school seems to be on the earlier side compared to their start date (almost 2 months when I heard it is recommended to only be 3 weeks).

Any insight?
Given that the deadline is so early, you might have better luck asking the WL to allow you to CTE at the other school while remaining on their WL, due to the way in which the CTE school is using its power to game the system in order to prematurely force you off the WL.

Other than that, yes, you can ask, but, assuming the school intentionally set the deadline early specifically to put you in this position, in order to force you to either commit or give up the seat to someone who really wants it, what's their incentive to accommodate you, knowing that if you do enroll it will only be because you couldn't have what you really wanted?

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people end up in that position, but most of us don't telegraph it by asking for extensions to deadlines first. Believe it or not, most schools think they are great and don't appreciate being used as back ups, even though they are fully aware that it happens. Asking them to facilitate it beyond an established deadline just might be too much to ask, but you won't know until you try. Some schools are definitely more accommodating than others. OTOH, they tend not to be ones that set CTE deadlines 2 months before orientation. Good luck!!

Would be great to see where people were taken off of the waitlist from and where you gave up your Acceptance.
People who are comfortable providing that level of information typically already do so, and you can see it by looking at their post history. For privacy reasons, particularly this late in the cycle where there is little enough movement that things could much more easily be traced back to people than earlier in the cycle, many people will not want to post that.

Given that the deadline is so early, you might have better luck asking the WL to allow you to CTE at the other school while remaining on their WL, due to the way in which the CTE school is using its power to game the system in order to prematurely force you off the WL.

Other than that, yes, you can ask, but, assuming the school intentionally set the deadline early specifically to put you in this position, in order to force you to either commit or give up the seat to someone who really wants it, what's their incentive to accommodate you, knowing that if you do enroll it will only be because you couldn't have what you really wanted?

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people end up in that position, but most of us don't telegraph it by asking for extensions to deadlines first. Believe it or not, most schools think they are great and don't appreciate being used as back ups, even though they are fully aware that it happens. Asking them to facilitate it beyond an established deadline just might be too much to ask, but you won't know until you try. Some schools are definitely more accommodating than others. OTOH, they tend not to be ones that set CTE deadlines 2 months before orientation. Good luck!!

Very insightful, thank you. Really appreciate the detailed post to help out. If what you suggest is done, meaning ask the WL school to stay on while CTE'd at the other, wouldn't that put the acceptance in jeopardy as well? That would be too big of a risk I feel if that is the case unless I'm missing something?

We had someone ask to do exactly this!

Interesting. How was it viewed from your perspective? Did it look like the applicant was being dishonest or was the request granted?
How did you respond, for the benefit of people in a similar situation? :)
We told them that we would honor their commitment to the other school and let them go.

• Love
Very insightful, thank you. Really appreciate the detailed post to help out. If what you suggest is done, meaning ask the WL school to stay on while CTE'd at the other, wouldn't that put the acceptance in jeopardy as well? That would be too big of a risk I feel if that is the case unless I'm missing something?
How? Either the WL school will see things your way and will be willing to work with you, or they won't.

Either way, the acceptance will be safe because the CTE school will not know what you are up to, unless and until the WL school actually calls you off the WL and you withdraw from the CTE school and break your commitment. At which point you won't care about it being in jeopardy, and it will be too late for the CTE to do anything to jeopardize your new A, since the WL school will have known what you were doing all along.

I’m feeling so defeated. 3/4 of my waitlisted schools have seen major movements. This is my second cycle and I just don’t know what to do

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I’m feeling so defeated. 3/4 of my waitlisted schools have seen major movements. This is my second cycle and I just don’t know what to do
Have you sought feedback from any school that has rejected you over the past 2 cycles? That would be an obvious next step to identify and address deficiencies. The fact that received multiple IIs means you are probably close. If the problem is the interviews, that would be helpful to know.

Anyone here waitlisted at Ohio State Med? I'm also waiting to hear back from Toledo!

Waiting for a miracle that seems more unlikely by the day. Shout out to everyone on this thread & here’s to hoping we end this cycle with an acceptance. And if not, remember that we made it very far and we still have a great deal of potential. :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I FINALLY GOT ACCEPTED! After 3 cycles! I'm going to become a doctor! Keep manifesting.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 43 users
Manifesting an A :’)))) please please pleaseeeeeee I am begging hereeeeee