2021-2022 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man I’m on 3 waitlists and haven’t heard anything back and it’s frustrating because I have no idea where I am on any of them

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I just gained an acceptance after manifesting a few days ago on this thread!!! I am still on a waitlist for my top school, but OMG I'm going to be a freaking doctor!!!!!!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, I just submitted my primary application for next cycle. After 5 gap years. I am praying that 2023 is when I finally get accepted.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Manifesting an A this week cmon!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Sadly, I just submitted my primary application for next cycle. After 5 gap years. I am praying that 2023 is when I finally get accepted.
5th gap yr here too on 3 WL's currently I'm rewriting my primary application too let's not give up hope!

Just found this thread! Waiting to hear back from one school but losing hope :( also a reapplicant so I’m crushed. Trying to muster up strength to apply for the 3rd time.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Manifesting super hard right now my friends. CTE date for my top choice incoming 😩

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I submitted my primary application today while still on the waitlist for one school. Manifesting an A before I have to add the rest of the schools I hope to apply to this cycle 🙏🏼🙌🏼

Reactions: 1 user
i am losing it rn, I have applied to medical school 5 times and I finally got my first MD interview invite and I was waitlisted bc it was late in the cycle. It is June 9 and I have still not heard anything. I am dreading the thought of applying for the 6th time and taking the MCAT again for the 5th time. Like this process is so draining and depressing. I am praying hard for all of us here including myself to get an A very soon! Most programs start in July/later so hopefully these next few weeks our time to shine will come. I am getting hope through you all! thank you so much <3

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
i am losing it rn, I have applied to medical school 5 times and I finally got my first MD interview invite and I was waitlisted bc it was late in the cycle. It is June 9 and I have still not heard anything. I am dreading the thought of applying for the 6th time and taking the MCAT again for the 5th time. Like this process is so draining and depressing. I am praying hard for all of us here including myself to get an A very soon! Most programs start in July/later so hopefully these next few weeks our time to shine will come. I am getting hope through you all! thank you so much <3
What was your biggest motivator throughout the years? Like a lot of other comments I’m feeling super numb and depressed w/ lack of interests in things I used to enjoy. I even started therapy a month ago but still looking for pieces of advice to get through this. You are all literally the toughest people I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: 3 users
Stay stronggggg everyone 🥺 manifesting good vibes for hopefully good news tomorrow!!! Pleaseeeee give us A’s!!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To all my WL schools: Ik u love me 🥺, Ik u careee 😖😖 just shout wheneverr 🤭, and I'll be thereeee 😅😅

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Woke up to an email from my only tangible hope of starting classes this august, my heart rate skyrocketed.

Email opened with "Dear Alternate," which is objectively the funniest opening to an email I've ever received. Sometimes you just have to laugh it off.

Happy Manifest Friday Gang.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Are there most likely going to be another wave of As near the end of this month bc of CTE deadlines in July?

Are there most likely going to be another wave of As near the end of this month bc of CTE deadlines in July?
No, because at this point, aside from any waitlist acceptances, each applicant should only be holding at most one acceptance, so there is nothing to drop to open up more room for acceptances unless an applicant decides not to attend any medical school.

No, because at this point, aside from any waitlist acceptances, each applicant should only be holding at most one acceptance, so there is nothing to drop to open up more room for acceptances unless an applicant decides not to attend any medical school.
This is wrong. The holding one acceptance is only a "strong" recommendation from AMCAS as of May 30. Applicants can still be holding more than one acceptance if the schools they have been accepted to have not required CTE yet. It is school dependent.

Most likely won't be any "huge" waves, but still potential movement.

This is wrong. The holding one acceptance is only a "strong" recommendation from AMCAS as of May 30. Applicants can still be holding more than one acceptance if the schools they have been accepted to have not required CTE yet. It is school dependent.

Most likely won't be any "huge" waves, but still potential movement.

Many schools will drop you if you are PTE at another school by the PTE deadline. People holding multiple acceptances by now are the exception, not the rule.

Many schools will drop you if you are PTE at another school by the PTE deadline. People holding multiple acceptances by now are the exception, not the rule.
You mean CTE? Plan to enroll doesn't mean anything. But yes, if you have CTE'd already at a certain school, you shouldn't be holding more than 1 A. But there are many schools who do not require CTE until late June/early July.

You mean CTE? Plan to enroll doesn't mean anything. But yes, if you have CTE'd already at a certain school, you shouldn't be holding more than 1 A. But there are many schools who do not require CTE until late June/early July.
PTE does have meaning. Many schools observing the one-acceptance date will assume that if you are PTE at another institution by that date, you are declining the non-PTE acceptance.

PTE does have meaning. Many schools observing the one-acceptance date will assume that if you are PTE at another institution by that date, you are declining the non-PTE acceptance.
Only schools that specifically have PTE rules may do this. A good amount of schools do not require PTE at all, again school dependent.

Only schools that specifically have PTE rules may do this. A good amount of schools do not require PTE at all, again school dependent.
Actually, very few schools do not have a PTE requirement, and the deadline has passed for all that do. And THAT is where the 1 A after 5/2 "strong recommendation" becomes a requirement, because they system will only allow you to make one PTE selection.

Every year, CTE deadlines come and go with a whimper as opposed to a bang, because the only thing that happens is that people who were waiting until the last minute to see if they get off the WL at a preferred school are forced to convert their PTE to CTE. There are only a handful of schools that don't have a PTE requirement, and very few people holding multiple As at these schools, or at one PTE school and one or more other schools, who release spots in significant numbers when CTE deadlines roll around.

We see this every year. This year will be no different.

So basically, no more movement unless someone drops out of med school entirely. Chances are extremely low.

I have noticed in previous years, and mostly from anecdotal evidence, people getting in just a few days before classes start or RIGHT as classes start. Guess some people decide last minute not to attend medical school. Not common but I also feel it's not uncommon.

Actually, very few schools do not have a PTE requirement, and the deadline has passed for all that do. And THAT is where the 1 A after 5/2 "strong recommendation" becomes a requirement, because they system will only allow you to make one PTE selection.

Every year, CTE deadlines come and go with a whimper as opposed to a bang, because the only thing that happens is that people who were waiting until the last minute to see if they get off the WL at a preferred school are forced to convert their PTE to CTE. There are only a handful of schools that don't have a PTE requirement, and very few people holding multiple As at these schools, or at one PTE school and one or more other schools, who release spots in significant numbers when CTE deadlines roll around.

We see this every year. This year will be no different.

Most schools don’t have a PTE deadline, but many will drop you if they see you are PTE elsewhere.

Most schools don’t have a PTE deadline, but many will drop you if they see you are PTE elsewhere.
I think you mean CTE for the second part! Schools get aggregate numbers from PTE, but can only see a specific applicant's decisions from a CTE decision. For any waitlist movement that might happen, it would basically depend on how many students have utilized the PTE tool. I can see it both ways: if you have an acceptance and are waiting to hear from WL, you prob wouldnt CTE until the deadline so the WL school still counts you as "on the market" for lack of better terms. On the other hand, you may want to just CTE asap so that you can start moving forward with finding housing, prepping financially, etc. Idk what the distribution of students for each is but I kind of hope its the first LOL 🙏 I'm still holding on to hope

Source? To my knowledge, almost every MD school required PTE by 5/2, with a few stragglers having dates later in May. I know of VERY few schools that are not requiring PTE/CTE at all, certainly nowhere near "most."

If you were right, "most" people would not have dropped their extra As around 4/30, they would not be dropped by schools since they would not be PTE anywhere, and there would not have been all the WL movement that was reported during the first few weeks of May.

I think you mean CTE for the second part! Schools get aggregate numbers from PTE, but can only see a specific applicant's decisions from a CTE decision. For any waitlist movement that might happen, it would basically depend on how many students have utilized the PTE tool. I can see it both ways: if you have an acceptance and are waiting to hear from WL, you prob wouldnt CTE until the deadline so the WL school still counts you as "on the market" for lack of better terms. On the other hand, you may want to just CTE asap so that you can start moving forward with finding housing, prepping financially, etc. Idk what the distribution of students for each is but I kind of hope its the first LOL 🙏 I'm still holding on to hope
Not true! After 5/2, schools can run individual reports to see which of their accepted or WL applicants are either PTE or CTE, at their school or another. They just cannot see the identity of the other school.

The aggregate reports you are thinking of are what they had access to prior to 5/2. At that point PTE was all that was available since CTE did not go live until 5/2.

I know for a fact that schools can see PTE selections right now, and have been able to do so since 5/2.

Not true! After 5/2, schools can run individual reports to see which of their accepted or WL applicants are either PTE or CTE, at their school or another. They just cannot see the identity of the other school.

The aggregate reports you are thinking of are what they had access to prior to 5/2. At that point PTE was all that was available since CTE did not go live until 5/2.

I know for a fact that schools can see PTE selections right now, and have been able to do so since 5/2.
Oof so then schools can easily choose students who they know silly have other As, if they want. That feels so weird to me 😪

I think you mean CTE for the second part! Schools get aggregate numbers from PTE, but can only see a specific applicant's decisions from a CTE decision. For any waitlist movement that might happen, it would basically depend on how many students have utilized the PTE tool. I can see it both ways: if you have an acceptance and are waiting to hear from WL, you prob wouldnt CTE until the deadline so the WL school still counts you as "on the market" for lack of better terms. On the other hand, you may want to just CTE asap so that you can start moving forward with finding housing, prepping financially, etc. Idk what the distribution of students for each is but I kind of hope its the first LOL I'm still holding on to hope

No, I mean PTE. If a school sees that you are PTE somewhere else after April 30, and they respect AAMC traffic rules, which most do, they will send an email letting you know that they noticed you are PTE somewhere else, and if you don’t change to PTE at their school, you’ll be dropped. Some won’t even reach out, but will just withdraw your acceptance.

Source? To my knowledge, almost every MD school required PTE by 5/2, with a few stragglers having dates later in May. I know of VERY few schools that are not requiring PTE/CTE at all, certainly nowhere near "most."

If you were right, "most" people would not have dropped their extra As around 4/30, they would not be dropped by schools since they would not be PTE anywhere, and there would not have been all the WL movement that was reported during the first few weeks of May.

None of the schools I had As at had an explicitly mentioned deadline for PTE, but I did get my acceptance withdrawn from the one I didn’t withdraw my acceptance before May 2nd. I’m sure just about every school has a deadline, but I’m guessing the vast majority either just use the AAMC date, or assume that AAMC’s several emails and notices about using the CYMS tool would be sufficient for students. But that’s just my experience. I may have missed something with dates, but all I was given were explicit CTE deadlines.

Oof so then schools can easily choose students who they know silly have other As, if they want. That feels so weird to me 😪
Yup. Or avoid them. It's not foolproof because, as @sousa7 and @Neuroscifan pointed out, there are people with As who are not PTE, but yes, in general, schools can see who on the WL have As elsewhere, and can choose to avoid them if they want.

This is an artifact of WL schools needing to see who is CTE, so they can comply with the rules and not call them, and of schools where you have an A needing to be able to see whether your are PTE somewhere else. Hopefully, AAMC will modify the code so that WL schools cannot see PTEs, since that information can indeed be used to discriminate against people, both those who are PTE and those who are not.

None of the schools I had As at had an explicitly mentioned deadline for PTE, but I did get my acceptance withdrawn from the one I didn’t withdraw my acceptance before May 2nd. I’m sure just about every school has a deadline, but I’m guessing the vast majority either just use the AAMC date, or assume that AAMC’s several emails and notices about using the CYMS tool would be sufficient for students. But that’s just my experience. I may have missed something with dates, but all I was given were explicit CTE deadlines.
???? If you had an acceptance rescinded, then they had an explicit deadline! There is no AAMC date, just a suggestion. Trust me, you missed a notification somewhere (e-mail, website, etc.). No school arbitrarily rescinds acceptances without the applicant not meeting an explicit, stated requirement.

Yes, the vast majority of schools do indeed use the AAMC recommended 5/2, but AAMC is very clear in saying that the date is just a recommendation, and that each school is free to set its own policy, and that candidates are obligated to comply with whatever policies are set by each school.

@KnightDoc so what does this mean in terms of movement? Very little unless somebody withdraws their A and chooses not to go to med school this year entirely right?

@KnightDoc so what does this mean in terms of movement? Very little unless somebody withdraws their A and chooses not to go to med school this year entirely right?
Not necessarily. As has been pointed out by others, there are several reasons someone might bail rather than select CTE at the deadline. It might be because, as you are suggesting, they get cold feet. It could also be because an emergency comes up, they receive a deferral, or they are holding another A, either because they were recently called off another WL or because they've been holding it all along at a school that does not require a PTE selection.

All of these things are relatively rare, which is why there is not nearly as much WL movement around CTE deadlines as there is every year around the 4/30 PTE deadline at most schools. OTOH, relatively rare does not mean none, and many schools do have a trickle of movement immediately after their CTE deadline.

For all practical purposes, it is the final opportunity at most schools, since this is really when they lock down their classes, as opposed to the urban legend fed by widely circulated stories about people receiving calls once orientation begins. THAT is a rare occurrence.

Manifesting my patience will be met with the Universe pointing me in the right direction 🎉

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I will say after 3 cycles it was hard for me to keep faith and patience in this process. However, this cycle I had 3 II and ended up on 3 WLs. Last Monday I got off of 1, Thursday the 2nd, and yesterday the 3rd. IDK how it happened, but it did when I least expected it. Keep the faith and after three cycles I can confidently say the wait was worth it.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 39 users
I will say after 3 cycles it was hard for me to keep faith and patience in this process. However, this cycle I had 3 II and ended up on 3 WLs. Last Monday I got off of 1, Thursday the 2nd, and yesterday the 3rd. IDK how it happened, but it did when I least expected it. Keep the faith and after three cycles I can confidently say the wait was worth it.
WOW congrats, you must have deserved it future doc

• Care

CONGRATS you’re living my dream 🫡😂 well deserved after three cycles. You motivate me honestly and thanks so much for sharing the news!

• Care
CONGRATS DR.EMD YOU MADE IT!!!

• Care
Is anyone on the Michigan or Columbia waitlist? Have u heard anything? I know Michigan starts late June and I haven’t heard ANYTHING, it’s the weirdest thing.

Is anyone on the Michigan or Columbia waitlist? Have u heard anything? I know Michigan starts late June and I haven’t heard ANYTHING, it’s the weirdest thing.
I also haven’t heard anything from sdn or friends OR friends of friends about my 4 WL 🥲 it’s so weird idk if there’s an explanation to it but seems like a trend

1 WL >>>> 1 A!!! And I was out to dinner when I got the call, of course with my mentor who was the one who said "you ever thought about medical school?" 5 years ago... funny how life works out sometimes. This is my second time on a WL so I feel all of your pain 💗Keep the faith ya'll!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 25 users
I feel like it would be abnormal at this time so late in the game, but are there any MD schools that are behind in relaying their initial acceptances? More specifically, the T20? Between MD and DO, it seems there has been virtually no WL movement...I know some years have less WL movement, but this seems super abnormally low for both MD/DO...anyone else have any insights that I missed in this thread?

I feel like it would be abnormal at this time so late in the game, but are there any MD schools that are behind in relaying their initial acceptances? More specifically, the T20? Between MD and DO, it seems there has been virtually no WL movement...I know some years have less WL movement, but this seems super abnormally low for both MD/DO...anyone else have any insights that I missed in this thread?
I would wager that this year was one of the most competitive years ever with a ton more students applying. With the increased number and increased stats of everyone applying I would imagine movement was far less flexible for T20 which created a trickle down effect. That’s pure speculation on my part, but the school I was accepted to had reported a 511 Mcat average last year but this cycle jumped to 514. Average gpa also jumped quite a bit if I recall.

I would wager that this year was one of the most competitive years ever with a ton more students applying. With the increased number and increased stats of everyone applying I would imagine movement was far less flexible for T20 which created a trickle down effect. That’s pure speculation on my part, but the school I was accepted to had reported a 511 Mcat average last year but this cycle jumped to 514. Average gpa also jumped quite a bit if I recall.
Applications are down from last year's high. The number of applicants is also down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users