2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just realized I chose the KC campus (I think). Just a random question, do ppl who don’t have a preference for campus have a better shot at being accepted?
people who choose to be selected for both have a better chance just cause more people choose to only be selected for KC = more students to pick from. But it really doesnt make much of a difference. I chose KC only and I got in off the waitlist last year around May

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All! Received an acceptance a few weeks back to KCU COM - KC campus. I'm really excited about the prospect of attending KCU, but wanted to check if any current students can confirm if a drug test is required prior to matriculation or only before clinical rotations? No issue to detox but just want to know if I can enjoy an edible at my best friend's wedding in March!
I don't believe they had us do one last year, but you could wait to complete the drug test (if needed) until April

1. It is possible to set up independent clinical rotation sites, but the bulk of the work of setting that up will be on you as the student. A few people in my class went down this route because they previously worked at a hospital and know doctors who were willing to be their preceptors. There is a certain level of risk with independent rotations because if something falls through halfway through the year, you're left in an awkward position to find another preceptor for that rotation. I'd say that nearly everyone will simply just go to one of the rotation sites that KCU has already partnered with.

2. It's not the easiest in the world to find research here, but that being said, it's not impossible. Recently KCU has been working and asking for student input regarding research and the level of interest surrounding it, so they are working to try to increase research opportunities. For the Joplin campus, most research is done with our faculty at the local university (MSSU) for both clinical and basic science/wet lab-based. You'll have to ask around and be more proactive in obtaining research.

Hope that was helpful! Feel free to message me if you have more questions or want more details.
HI,

Thank you for replying! What are some nicer/safer neighborhoods to live around Joplin campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
HI,

Thank you for replying! What are some nicer/safer neighborhoods to live around Joplin campus?

A lot of students will either live in houses that are minutes from campus with roommates or in apartment complexes! A lot of people find roommates through the FB group and find houses for rent from either relators or current students who are moving out (usually 2nd years who are moving for rotations). Popular apartment complexes people live in are Rustic Ridge Villas, Cooper Point, The Plaza, and Villas at the Plaza. I currently live in an apartment and would be happy to talk more about it through messages!

It's pretty fairly safe in Joplin overall (from my personal experiences) and the most crime I've ever really heard about is car break-ins.

does anyone have the contact number for joplin student services? ive called the joplin main contact a couple times now to ask if they have a tentative date for the white coat ceremony, but everytime they just direct me to the student services. no one picks up and it goes straight to voicemail.

i just realized that the 3 week mark for 1/24 is next Tuesday which is valentines day, do y'all think they will give decisions then lol

Reactions: 1 user
i just realized that the 3 week mark for 1/24 is next Tuesday which is valentines day, do y'all think they will give decisions then lol
I'm eagerly waiting also. Seems like it hasn't been taking the 6 weeks like they said at the end of the interview based off the 1/12 interviews. I'm expecting it sometime next week but hoping they might send it out this week. No matter what I hope it's soon!

Anyone get an interview off the qualified status list yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question. Has anyone here been accepted without a DO LOR and/or no experience shadowing a DO?

I just realized that’s a big thing for DO schools but I’ve also heard KCUCOM is pretty laid back on that stuff compared to others.

Random question. Has anyone here been accepted without a DO LOR and/or no experience shadowing a DO?

I just realized that’s a big thing for DO schools but I’ve also heard KCUCOM is pretty laid back on that stuff compared to others.
Yes I didn't have either and was accepted

Reactions: 1 users

Me

I'm eagerly waiting also. Seems like it hasn't been taking the 6 weeks like they said at the end of the interview based off the 1/12 interviews. I'm expecting it sometime next week but hoping they might send it out this week. No matter what I hope it's soon!

thb im not trying to get my heart broken on valentines day lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think people who got interviewed on 01/18 will get the feedback today?

I know KCU is p/f all 4 years, but are they internally ranked? So like when applying for residency will the application reflect my ranking?

friend got waitlisted this morning interviewed 1/17

What is the waitlist movement like at this school? When do most students get off and is it common to get off?

What is the waitlist movement like at this school? When do most students get off and is it common to get off?
Usually not until April or May. Idk how many get off that got interviews and weren't outright accepted

I have an interview coming up here soon, and wanted to connect with a current student or someone who has interviewed. Anyone know how I can get in touch? Given that this is my only interview, I want to give it my best shot. thanks :)

Accepted this morning. Interviewed on 1/24

Glad I didn’t have to actually wait 6 weeks lol

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted this morning. Interviewed on 1/24

Glad I didn’t have to actually wait 6 weeks lol
yooo congratulaions!!! thats a dope turnaround time. hopefully they keep it quick and an A lol

I paid the deposit for KCUCOM a few months ago but don't think I will be attending. Is it worth trying to inquire about getting a portion of the deposit back?

I paid the deposit for KCUCOM a few months ago but don't think I will be attending. Is it worth trying to inquire about getting a portion of the deposit back?
Deposits for DO schools are non-refundable

Reactions: 2 users
May I ask why u won’t be attending kcu?

anyone know how often decisions are released/when do adcoms meet? is there a pattern or is it random? I don't want to pay a deposit ($1500) at another school and not get to back

edit: i have one week until the deposit is due so im gonna wait until the last day lol

Last edited:
anyone know how often decisions are released/when do adcoms meet? is there a pattern or is it random? I don't want to pay a deposit at another school and not get to back

edit: i have one week until the deposit is due so im gonna wait until the last day lol
I still haven't heard anything back for that day.

anyone know how often decisions are released/when do adcoms meet? is there a pattern or is it random? I don't want to pay a deposit ($1500) at another school and not get to back

when was ur interview?

guys, I forgot my interviewers names. did yall just say thank you in general to those who interviewed you or did you name them all?

sending a thank you/update/letter of intent

guys, I forgot my interviewers names. did yall just say thank you in general to those who interviewed you or did you name them all?

sending a thank you/update/letter of intent
you can email admissions and ask- they will tell you. you can then forward the 3 pdf's to them.

you can email admissions and ask- they will tell you. you can then forward the 3 pdf's to them.
gotchu. would you recommend I do that and avoid just thanking them as a whole for interviewing me in a single letter combined with a loi?

So what is the actual post-ii acceptance rate? I’ve heard so many numbers from 60-75%. Seems absurdly high since from basic google searches and Facebook groups show lots of people with kcu interviews.

Also heard that they end up offering a large amount their masters program after interviewing which makes me further question the validity of the post-ii acceptance that’s been floating around

gotchu. would you recommend I do that and avoid just thanking them as a whole for interviewing me in a single letter combined with a loi?
I sent a letter to each interviewer separately. to my surprise one of them actually replied

So what is the actual post-ii acceptance rate? I’ve heard so many numbers from 60-75%. Seems absurdly high since from basic google searches and Facebook groups show lots of people with kcu interviews.

Also heard that they end up offering a large amount their masters program after interviewing which makes me further question the validity of the post-ii acceptance that’s been floating around
Definitely lower, I’d say closer to 50%

Have you seen this somewhere, or just estimating based on the evidence?