2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted today at 3pm! yay :) my seat is at the joplin campus, and I was wondering how current students have found their experience living at this location? I've heard it can be a bit isolating here

Members don't see this ad.

WL 1/24- this is my third WL yall gonna get drinks after work and sign up for the mcat again my score is expiring

Frustrated Dragons Den GIF by CBC
My heart goes out, I was in the exact same position last year. (Mcat expiring, on 2 waitlists.) I pray things swing your way.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
accepted today at 3pm! yay :) my seat is at the joplin campus, and I was wondering how current students have found their experience living at this location? I've heard it can be a bit isolating here
Isolating from family? Sure, but the friends you’ll make during orientation will more than make up for that. Also the Midwest hospitality is real here and everyone loves the medical students. If you plan study on campus, school becomes your home. Kc or Joplin campus check out the class Facebook. You’ll see people looking for roommates to go on houses/ apartments. Most of us got together and got houses here in Joplin but there are also common apartment complexes people will post about.

Isolating from family? Sure, but the friends you’ll make during orientation will more than make up for that. Also the Midwest hospitality is real here and everyone loves the medical students. If you plan study on campus, school becomes your home. Kc or Joplin campus check out the class Facebook. You’ll see people looking for roommates to go on houses/ apartments. Most of us got together and got houses here in Joplin but there are also common apartment complexes people will post about.

Agreed, your best friends will be your fellow students in the trenches with you anyways and this is true for any med school no matter where it is. Only thing is there is not much to do in Joplin for fun the few weekends you get to breathe, but it's only short drive to northwest Arkansas and KC

I see, thank you for sharing!! Yeah I was mainly wondering what the community is like given the campus is so far away from kansas city, and in a rural setting. I'm also a POC so I'm wondering about the diversity there too

Does anyone know if the matriculation deposit can be paid on 03/01 or does the payment have to be done beforehand? (Waiting to hear back from one more school, and hoping to drag out the payment as long as possible hahah)

Does anyone know if the matriculation deposit can be paid on 03/01 or does the payment have to be done beforehand? (Waiting to hear back from one more school, and hoping to drag out the payment as long as possible hahah)
I'm in the same boat lol. The acceptance deposit was due by 11:59 PM on the day of the deadline, so this is probably the same.

I'm in the same boat lol. The acceptance deposit was due by 11:59 PM on the day of the deadline, so this is probably the same.
thank you so much!!! Good luck to you my friend, I hope you end up where you want to! :)

Don’t cut it too close, guys.
I just read the story of a predental student on SDN who lost his acceptance for missing the deposit deadline.
He asked for leeway and was told, basically, “too bad, so sad”

Reactions: 1 users
anyone on hold from KCU-COM? i haven't heard anything from them and I'm wondering if its a soft R

Don’t cut it too close, guys.
I just read the story of a predental student on SDN who lost his acceptance for missing the deposit deadline.
He asked for leeway and was told, basically, “too bad, so sad”
thats so damn scary. cant imagine the mental crap show that student had to go through if that was the only A he/she got

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the party but I was considering sending in a few last minute applications and was wondering if KCU has been sending out any more IIs recently/if their class is pretty filled now. Just wondering if it would be worth-it and this point since its already so late in the cycle and KCU is rolling. Thanks for any feedback!

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the party but I was considering sending in a few last minute applications and was wondering if KCU has been sending out any more IIs recently/if their class is pretty filled now. Just wondering if it would be worth-it and this point since its already so late in the cycle and KCU is rolling. Thanks for any feedback!

They’re probably pretty full but they’re one of the few schools that I feel like replies quickly to secondaries. I heard back within a week. So compared to other schools that are super behind at this point there’s probably at least a chance they look at your app.

yooo have any recent interview invites gone out? I applied to the big 5 and got interviews at two and just got accepted to one (waiting for results on the other) but find it strange I haven't heard anything from KCU...

yooo have any recent interview invites gone out? I applied to the big 5 and got interviews at two and just got accepted to one (waiting for results on the other) but find it strange I haven't heard anything from KCU...
when did u complete ur secondary? did u ever get placed on qualified list?

Just curious, what are the Big 5?

I don't think it would be worth it at this point. Probs would just be wasting money to send one right now tbh

Reactions: 2 users
Not related to KCU, but for what it's worth I've gotten a call from ATSU-COM and an email from CUSOM telling me they really wanted me to send in my secondary and said they had interview slots left so those might be good choices if you wanna throw your hat into a few last-minute rings lol

I don't think it would be worth it at this point. Probs would just be wasting money to send one right now tbh
They’re probably pretty full but they’re one of the few schools that I feel like replies quickly to secondaries. I heard back within a week. So compared to other schools that are super behind at this point there’s probably at least a chance they look at your app.

Thanks for the responses!

Not related to KCU, but for what it's worth I've gotten a call from ATSU-COM and an email from CUSOM telling me they really wanted me to send in my secondary and said they had interview slots left so those might be good choices if you wanna throw your hat into a few last-minute rings lol

Was ATSU-COM the Arizona or Missouri Campus? I was checking AACOMAS to see what programs were still allowing Primary submissions and I didn't see the Missouri Campus on there.

Thanks for the responses!

Was ATSU-COM the Arizona or Missouri Campus? I was checking AACOMAS to see what programs were still allowing Primary submissions and I didn't see the Missouri Campus on there.
Missouri! Maybe it was just for people who had submitted primary but not secondary?

Will also be declining my acceptance, to the KC campus. Hope it goes to someone here on the waitlist!

• Care
If y’all don’t mind me asking, MD or a different DO school?
PCOM. It’s just because of the greater opportunities that I think will be afforded to me in the Philadelphia area. I would have been very happy to go to KCU.

Reactions: 3 users
PCOM. It’s just because of the greater opportunities that I think will be afforded to me in the Philadelphia area. I would have been very happy to go to KCU.

Both are extremely good schools with lots of connections and extensive alumni networks

Anybody from the qualified list heard back? I'm starting to think it might just be a soft-R.

Both are extremely good schools with lots of connections and extensive alumni networks
Absolutely, and the difference in tuition made it a difficult choice. But some of the physicians where I work trained in Philly and were encouraging me to go with PCOM because of the hospital networks there. I would prefer not to move for my clinical years. Like I said, I would have been more than happy to attend KCU as well. Out of all of my interviews, I think I got the most positive vibes from KCU’s faculty and staff.

I see that KCU has a mandatory orientation July 10th -21st. I need to be in Chicago July 14th and 15th for my wedding. Do any current students know how accommodating they are of missing just 1-2 days of orientation?

I see that KCU has a mandatory orientation July 10th -21st. I need to be in Chicago July 14th and 15th for my wedding. Do any current students know how accommodating they are of missing just 1-2 days of orientation?

Just email student services and let them know and they will send you an excused absence form for those days of orientation week. Depending on what activities you'll miss those days you'll obviously have to make them up. I don't know anyone who missed orientation days but they sent me a form cause I thought I was going to have to miss a day or two also because of a wedding and they seemed pretty accommodating. I can't imagine they wouldn't excuse you those two days especially if it's for your own wedding

Does matriculation deposit payment bind you to attending KCUCOM?

I was accepted to KCU and am really excited about the school, but I received another interview invite for mid-march. The deadline for KCU matriculation deposit on March 29th, so I don’t think the other school will have announced their decision yet. So, I was wondering, if I pay the matriculation deposit to KCU, can I still change the school later?

Does matriculation deposit payment bind you to attending KCUCOM?

I was accepted to KCU and am really excited about the school, but I received another interview invite for mid-march. The deadline for KCU matriculation deposit on March 29th, so I don’t think the other school will have announced their decision yet. So, I was wondering, if I pay the matriculation deposit to KCU, can I still change the school later?

You can go wherever you want, but you won’t get the money back. You just can’t have multiple acceptances by May 1 if I remember correctly.

Withdrew my A from the Kansas campus today! Best of luck to y’all on the rest of the cycle!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when someone withdraws their A, does that seat go to a WL or do they give it to someone new that's from recent interviews?

Hey, has anyone from the 02/01 interview heard back yet? It seemed like the last few rounds took about 4 weeks. The wait is so hard :/.

Submitted a letter of intent today. Interviewed 9/13 for either campus; WL. hoping to join y'all whenever waitlist movement kicks off