2022-2023 Pennsylvania State

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yes I am! Were you able to fix this issue??
Yes! You have to fill out the special survey tab first and then you’ll be able to pay the deposit. It’s kind of hidden, just click on al the tabs and drop downs and make sure you’ve filled everything out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone get a concrete answer for the CTE hard deadline? I've emailed and called but it's just been super vague
 
Does this mean their acceptance rate is high or they are savage with the post II Rs?
I don't have enough information to definitively say, though the acceptance rate online is 1.17% and the interview rate is 23.4% IS and 9.2% OOS. If these numbers are actually correct, then I would assume that they're a savage with the post II Rs. But again, I don't know how correct these numbers are. There's a residency bias and holistic application review. Wishing everyone best of luck
 
Has anyone that has been accepted received scholarship or financial aid information?
Nope, nada, and nothing. Still waiting to hear back from the UP campus too. They do rolling decisions so I really hope they let me know before I need to narrow it down to three schools because I don't think I will include Penn St Hershey in my top 3 as of now
 
Nope, nada, and nothing. Still waiting to hear back from the UP campus too. They do rolling decisions so I really hope they let me know before I need to narrow it down to three schools because I don't think I will include Penn St Hershey in my top 3 as of now

Oh yea - how does this work? If you narrow down to three but then get other acceptances after? Or even the day of narrowing down ur choices?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In addition to the scholarship question above, does anyone know if Penn offers scholarships that cover the entire COA for Hershey students. I know the UP students get a significant amount but UP is a bit father from my family than Hershey so i'd prefer to stay in Hershey. Do they even give out full need based or merit based scholarships at all??
 
In addition to the scholarship question above, does anyone know if Penn offers scholarships that cover the entire COA for Hershey students. I know the UP students get a significant amount but UP is a bit father from my family than Hershey so i'd prefer to stay in Hershey. Do they even give out full need based or merit based scholarships at all??
Somebody please answer lol
 
Anyone can share their interview experience and any tips to prepare? This is my dream school because I really love everything about the school including the medical humanities emphasis, and patient navigator. I would also love if any current student can share what they like about Penn State and living in Hershey. Do you think since it is the end of their interview season we will expect to hear back sooner than 6-8 weeks? Thank you very much
 
Has anyone heard about scholarship applications or when we will find out about financial aid? Also, is Penn State shifting step 1 to after 1.5 years? Their curriculum diagram contradicts the other sections of their website that say steps 1 & 2 will be during the third year (Hershey Curriculum - Penn State College of Medicine Current Students).
No word on scholarships yet and I asked them match my other ones back in Jan. A current student said that devions don’t go out until April, but I’m not sure if they meant financial aid packages (ie loans) or scholarship notices.

I’m still really hoping they pull through because I think PSU is the perfect compromise of what I’m looking for (great match list, location, home programs, culture, COA, etc…)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any one interviewed recently has tips for interview day at Penn State? I am interviewing next week and feeling very nervous. Did they tell you anything about timeline to hear back?
 
Any one interviewed recently has tips for interview day at Penn State? I am interviewing next week and feeling very nervous. Did they tell you anything about timeline to hear back?
You can expect to get the typical interview questions for a med school interview (e.g., why medicine, why Penn State COM, etc.) Read over your entire app closely; my interviewers had evidently read over my application, and asked me questions based on my file. Also be prepared to ask them questions as well.

As long as you're prepared, treat interview day like a coffee chat with a faculty and potential mentor. It'll go by so quickly. Good luck!

Edit: In regards to the 2nd question, I interviewed a few months ago. The interview portal had said 6-8 weeks and the decision did arrive within that timeframe. I don't know about now though, since the season is wrapping up.
 
You can expect to get the typical interview questions for a med school interview (e.g., why medicine, why Penn State COM, etc.) Read over your entire app closely; my interviewers had evidently read over my application, and asked me questions based on my file. Also be prepared to ask them questions as well.

As long as you're prepared, treat interview day like a coffee chat with a faculty and potential mentor. It'll go by so quickly. Good luck!

Edit: In regards to the 2nd question, I interviewed a few months ago. The interview portal had said 6-8 weeks and the decision did arrive within that timeframe. I don't know about now though, since the season is wrapping up.
Thank you very much! Did you send them thank you email and was it through the general email as I could not find their individual emails?


If you don’t mind me asking and just out of curiosity do you know how many accepted students they have so far in the accepted group? I know they interview more like 700-800 so trying to get an idea to help my stress
 
Thank you very much! Did you send them thank you email and was it through the general email as I could not find their individual emails?


If you don’t mind me asking and just out of curiosity do you know how many accepted students they have so far in the accepted group? I know they interview more like 700-800 so trying to get an idea to help my stress
I sent a thank you note to the general adcom email and asked them to forward it to my interviewers.

I'm just as much in the dark as you are about accepted student #s. But if they're interviewing you, they already like what they read in your app. You're in their top 8-10% of all applicants!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent a thank you note to the general adcom email and asked them to forward it to my interviewers.

I'm just as much in the dark as you are about accepted student #s. But if they're interviewing you, they already like what they read in your app. You're in their top 8-10% of all applicants!
Thank you very much! Nice user name by the way 🙂
 
do "hold" people get reevaluated during April?
based on historical threads (I looked at SDN for the past 3 cycles) it appears people start getting taken off the waitlist in early-mid May. They’re maybe those that are not reported on SDN earlier than May—but that’s the trend so far. I don’t know if those of us that are on hold are reviewed every time the admissions team meets or when it’s time to fill up the class after April 30.