2022-2023 Stony Brook

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you to @runner31 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Stony Brook Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? (500 words)
If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date.

2. Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you: (500 words)

3. Please respond to ONE of the following two questions: (500 words)

  • Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health.
  • What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
SUNY - Stony Brook University School of Medicine Interview Feedback
 
Last edited:
@wysdoc

OOS secondary received.

(Please limit your responses to 500 words per question)

1. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date.

2. Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you:

3. Please respond to ONE of the following two questions:
  • Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health.
  • What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the question: Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

Will that be a yes or no for me if I am currently doing a master's right after completing undergrad?
 
For the question: Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

Will that be a yes or no for me if I am currently doing a master's right after completing undergrad?
it will be a yes for you because after undergrad you did something additional before med sch, hope that helps 🙂
 
My gap year essay is a lot shorter than 500 words. I explained that I graduated with my BS, then I explained what my job during my gap year is going to be, why I pursued it, and how it will relate to medicine/help me as a future physician. This only took about 200 words though.

Is there anything else I should add to this, or is it fine to leave this at 200 words?
 
where are the clinical rotation sites here? just saw that they are partnered with mount sinai but cant find the sites where the students rotate online.
 
where are the clinical rotation sites here? just saw that they are partnered with mount sinai but cant find the sites where the students rotate online.

Looks like along with SBUMC they rotate at Winthrop (WUH) and NUMC along with the VA.

 
do others have this under their LORs? what does this mean
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.58.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.58.06 PM.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 399
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i’m pretty sure this is for anyone who didn’t get a committee letter and their school has one - called stony a month ago and they mentioned they’ll email kids this applies to
ohhh yeah my school doesnt have one
 
i’m pretty sure this is for anyone who didn’t get a committee letter and their school has one - called stony a month ago and they mentioned they’ll email kids this applies to

Really? I got a committee letter and still have that on mine….weird
 
Sooooo....anyone heard from stony lol?

I think they should start sending out IIs soon (based off last year's thread)
 
Is it okay if I email the admission office, letting them know I uploaded the additional document they requested, or is it gonna come off as annoying lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I just wanted to get your guy’s opinion on something….has this week been quiet on the IIs or is it just me? I applied in the Northeast region and most the threads had like almost 0 IIs this week.
 
Bro ive been looking at my email, reddit and sdn on repeat thinking the worst possible thoughts… this process finna take off 4-5 years from my lifespan[emoji24]
At least!! And it's only August. The thought of surviving all this until the waitlist all shakes out in the late spring/early summer is painful. At least we have the support of these boards to know we're not in this alone. Stay strong all!!
 
Bro ive been looking at my email, reddit and sdn on repeat thinking the worst possible thoughts… this process finna take off 4-5 years from my lifespan[emoji24]
If it helps, I have roughly the same stats (518 mcat - NY resident), and also know someone with a 75 LizzyM

theyve only heard back from 1 NY school, me 0


so yk, not in this alone LOL
 
If it helps, I have roughly the same stats (518 mcat - NY resident), and also know someone with a 75 lizzyM

theyve only heard back from 1 NY school, me 0


so yk, not in this alone LOL

Nah it helps to know others are going thru the same process…support system of desperate premeds🥲
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad