2022-2023 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @runner31 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Stony Brook Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? (500 words)
If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date.

2. Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you: (500 words)

3. Please respond to ONE of the following two questions: (500 words)

• Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health.
  • What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
SUNY - Stony Brook University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@wysdoc

OOS secondary received.

(Please limit your responses to 500 words per question)

1. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date.

2. Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you:

3. Please respond to ONE of the following two questions:
  • Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health.
  • What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the question: Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

Will that be a yes or no for me if I am currently doing a master's right after completing undergrad?

For the question: Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

Will that be a yes or no for me if I am currently doing a master's right after completing undergrad?
it will be a yes for you because after undergrad you did something additional before med sch, hope that helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
My gap year essay is a lot shorter than 500 words. I explained that I graduated with my BS, then I explained what my job during my gap year is going to be, why I pursued it, and how it will relate to medicine/help me as a future physician. This only took about 200 words though.

Is there anything else I should add to this, or is it fine to leave this at 200 words?

Reactions: 1 users
where are the clinical rotation sites here? just saw that they are partnered with mount sinai but cant find the sites where the students rotate online.

where are the clinical rotation sites here? just saw that they are partnered with mount sinai but cant find the sites where the students rotate online.

Looks like along with SBUMC they rotate at Winthrop (WUH) and NUMC along with the VA.

Has anyone heard back from Stony?

Members don't see this ad :)
do others have this under their LORs? what does this mean

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.58.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.58.06 PM.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: 3 users
i’m pretty sure this is for anyone who didn’t get a committee letter and their school has one - called stony a month ago and they mentioned they’ll email kids this applies to
ohhh yeah my school doesnt have one

i’m pretty sure this is for anyone who didn’t get a committee letter and their school has one - called stony a month ago and they mentioned they’ll email kids this applies to

Really? I got a committee letter and still have that on mine….weird

Sooooo....anyone heard from stony lol?

I think they should start sending out IIs soon (based off last year's thread)

Sooooo....anyone heard from stony lol?

I think they should start sending out IIs soon (based off last year's thread)
Hey King, this question has been killing me all season. What is your logo? Feels very Rorschach-y :)

II just in!! IS, submitted 6/30. It's happening!! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey King, this question has been killing me all season. What is your logo? Feels very Rorschach-y :)

Its the donkey from shrek looking directly at the camera meme, with some more shadowing in the background lol.

Is it okay if I email the admission office, letting them know I uploaded the additional document they requested, or is it gonna come off as annoying lol

Is it okay if I email the admission office, letting them know I uploaded the additional document they requested, or is it gonna come off as annoying lol
It's just a quick email and it would give me peace of mind...so no harm IMO

Received II today, secondary complete 7/7, 515 MCAT, 3.89 cGPA, 3.91 sGPA, in state applicant.

Stony is literally letting out tiny amounts of IIs these last 2-3 days….just enough to cause panic in neurotic premeds like me

Reactions: 5 users
Hey! I just wanted to get your guy’s opinion on something….has this week been quiet on the IIs or is it just me? I applied in the Northeast region and most the threads had like almost 0 IIs this week.

Hey! I just wanted to get your guy’s opinion on something….has this week been quiet on the IIs or is it just me? I applied in the Northeast region and most the threads had like almost 0 IIs this week.
Agree. Pretty quiet...though Columbia came out with a bang this AM.

Agree. Pretty quiet...though Columbia came out with a bang this AM.

Bro ive been looking at my email, reddit and sdn on repeat thinking the worst possible thoughts… this process finna take off 4-5 years from my lifespan

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Bro ive been looking at my email, reddit and sdn on repeat thinking the worst possible thoughts… this process finna take off 4-5 years from my lifespan
At least!! And it's only August. The thought of surviving all this until the waitlist all shakes out in the late spring/early summer is painful. At least we have the support of these boards to know we're not in this alone. Stay strong all!!

Reactions: 4 users

Might be a noob question but where are you seeing ppl talk about IIs on reddit?

Might be a noob question but where are you seeing ppl talk about IIs on reddit?

There’s a 2022 2023 II date reddit post where ppl comment when they get an II and the OP updates the original post as a running list for schools that are sending out IIs

If it helps, I have roughly the same stats (518 mcat - NY resident), and also know someone with a 75 LizzyM

theyve only heard back from 1 NY school, me 0

so yk, not in this alone LOL

If it helps, I have roughly the same stats (518 mcat - NY resident), and also know someone with a 75 LizzyM

theyve only heard back from 1 NY school, me 0

so yk, not in this alone LOL

Nah it helps to know others are going thru the same process…support system of desperate premeds🥲