2023-2024 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Stony Brook Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Tell us how your past experiences and/or challenges have defined you (500 words or less)

2. Please respond to ONE of the following two questions: (500 words or less)
(1) Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health.
(2) What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?

3. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?
If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why. (500 words or less)
If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date. (500 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
SUNY - Stony Brook University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary from Stony Brook yet?

Also, @wysdoc, @chilly_md, or any other moderator, can you please pin this thread to the 2023-2024 Alphabetic Index of Allopathic School-Specific Discussion Threads? Currently, the 2022-2023 thread is listed there. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't. I'm OOS with strong NY ties

Oos received. Won't be submitting cuz I just now learned they're not very oos friendly lol

Tell us how your past experiences and/or challenges have defined you (500 words or less)

Please respond to ONE of the following two questions: (500 words or less)

1. Please describe how you, as a future physician, plan to address the social determinants of health.

2. What, in your opinion, is the role of a physician in addressing systemic racism and societal injustices?

Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

3. If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why. (500 words or less)

Oos received. Won't be submitting cuz I just now learned they're not very oos friendly lol
Data from 2021 shows they interview ~21% of IS applicants, accepting ~60% post-IS II, and ~11% of OOS applicants, accepting ~50% post-OOS II. Seems a lot more OOS friendly than many other schools to me.

Source also (idk how reputable but I've been using it to get a general idea):

Data from 2021 shows they interview ~21% of IS applicants, accepting ~60% post-IS II, and ~11% of OOS applicants, accepting ~50% post-OOS II. Seems a lot more OOS friendly than many other schools to me.
Interesting but I've heard from folks here that a lot of the OOS they interview have connections to NY or went to school there etc. I'm from UT, have no connections to NY. I was actually under the impression that Stony Brook is private lol

Interesting but I've heard from folks here that a lot of the OOS they interview have connections to NY or went to school there etc. I'm from UT, have no connections to NY. I was actually under the impression that Stony Brook is private lol
Ah, I see. I have no connections either lol but I'm just gonna shoot my shot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah, I see. I have no connections either lol but I'm just gonna shoot my shot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Go for it man. If you have specific reasons for attending I'm sure that'll help overcome any potential IS bias they might have

Members don't see this ad :)
After submitting my secondary, it says on their portal that they do not have my MCAT score (even though I took it a while ago and all other schools have received it). Did this happen to anyone else?

Why do they ask how much outstanding loan debt we have on the secondary?

Tell us how your past experiences and/or challenges have defined you:

How are people approaching this question- it's so broad! Are you focusing on one main experience/challenge or treating it as more of an autobiography and hitting on multiple?

Do y'all think having a sibling at their undergrad and wanting to attend to be near them is worth talking about on the secondary?

Do y'all think having a sibling at their undergrad and wanting to attend to be near them is worth talking about on the secondary?
Yeah that's more concrete than what many people say imo

Reactions: 1 users
I said this for a different school! I think it's reasonable, especially bc it shows having a good support system nearby. That's how I'm hoping they read it at least lol

I said this for a different school! I think it's reasonable, especially bc it shows having a good support system nearby. That's how I'm hoping they read it at least lol
Thank you! That's what I'm hoping too lol

Not sure if it was mentioned, but there is also an extra essay prompt if one answers yes on

Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?

3. If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date. (500 words or less)

Here saw only the prompt for NO but I adapted from another secondary

Last edited:
Not sure if it was mentioned, but there is also an extra essay prompt if one answers yes on

3. If YES, please tell us about your proudest accomplishment to date. (500 words or less)

Here saw only the prompt for NO and it was a bit annoying to see that as SB is a top target (IS and was offered a full ride for undergraduate degree with honors cohort but went somewhere else in NY), but I adapted a leadership experience from another secondaries
Good you caught this 👍 @wysdoc

Yeah, actually they are SUNY @ Stony Brook, but tend to be referred to as Stony Brook.

Do we think any IIs have gone out yet? This thread has been pretty silent. Stony Brook was the first school I submitted so hoping for some good news today or soon🤞

Is there a place to indicate interest in the 3-year MD program, or is that a separate application only available to accepted students?

+1 IS II just now! complete 7/17

Last edited:
IS II. LM 74.5. Complete early. Unique extracurriculars, connections to Long Island. Good luck to you all! Interviews begin Sept. 11.

II!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that received IIs! Seemed like from this thread only IS received II, do we think they are separating based on state status? This is me coping :)

Congrats to everyone that received IIs! Seemed like from this thread only IS received II, do we think they are separating based on state status? This is me coping :)
It’s a state school. They definitely view IS vs OS differently. 522 IIs went to IS last year vs 275 to OS

Anyone know if getting a first-wave II for stony brook is a very good sign of acceptance (as long as you don't **** the bed during the interview)? It seems like they sent out only a handful of II this past week and have held off on sending any additional ones so far

Anyone know if getting a first-wave II for stony brook is a very good sign of acceptance (as long as you don't **** the bed during the interview)? It seems like they sent out only a handful of II this past week and have held off on sending any additional ones so far
I believe that general consensus on SDN is that a first wave interview invite carries weight at most schools. It depends on the exact school, but interviews go to strong candidates first as an early interview gives more time to recruit you if they like you at the interview.

I believe that general consensus on SDN is that a first wave interview invite carries weight at most schools. It depends on the exact school, but interviews go to strong candidates first as an early interview gives more time to recruit you if they like you at the interview.
Ayy bet 😳

for people who got II today, what was the earliest available interview date?