2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Omg me. I LOVE this school. Completed mid-july, got asked for more info on mid-August so I was marked complete again on mid-August. Based on that I don't know technically which one is my complete date, but I'm hoping for the best :(
How long did it take for them to mark you as complete after you submitted your additional info?

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take for them to mark you as complete after you submitted your additional info?
I waited a few days and I wasn't marked complete so I emailed them. They responded the next day and after they responded I was marked complete almost immediately.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the monthly general info sessions are optional or not?

Just to confirm...Downstate isn't doing the phone conversation with a current student anymore, right? I remember doing that 2 years ago when I last applied but don't see it mentioned in the emails or welcome packet.

Just to confirm...Downstate isn't doing the phone conversation with a current student anymore, right? I remember doing that 2 years ago when I last applied but don't see it mentioned in the emails or welcome packet.

Nah they still do!
The medical student contacts you after your interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the monthly general info sessions are optional or not?
Oh, those are monthly? I only saw the one I attended in June on the events calendar. Are there other ones?

I've scoured the internet with no luck! I think maybe they don't release that information. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
SUNY Downstate keeps that info a secret... but the other SUNYs (Upstate, Stony, Buffalo) have ~60% post II-acceptance rates, so I'd expect Downstate to be about the same.

Reactions: 6 users
SUNY Downstate keeps that info a secret... but the other SUNYs (Upstate, Stony, Buffalo) have ~60% post II-acceptance rates, so I'd expect Downstate to be about the same.

Hello! Is there some way to access/download this sheet?
Thanks

Has anyone received an OOS II
I haven't noticed. I have no idea when downstate makes decisions on oos students. In last year's thread, I really couldn't find anyone mentioning an oos II. The year before last a few oos said they got IIs in aug/sept

has anyone tried to login to their portal and continues to get an error message and cannot reset their password? I emailed the school and they just said that I shouldn't worry about it :/

Should I send a letter of interest if I believe I’m being yield protected? I have very high stats (4.0/526) but I do genuinely like Downstate and I love Brooklyn.

Should I send a letter of interest if I believe I’m being yield protected? I have very high stats (4.0/526) but I do genuinely like Downstate and I love Brooklyn.
Hi! I’m in a similar spot (except 525) & trying to figure out what to do too— do you mind if I pm you??

Good evening! Would anyone who has already interviewed be willing to share some advice/feedback in prepping for an interview here? This is one of my top choices, and I really wish to be as prepared as possible. :) Thanks so much in advance and best of luck to everyone!

Good evening! Would anyone who has already interviewed be willing to share some advice/feedback in prepping for an interview here? This is one of my top choices, and I really wish to be as prepared as possible. :) Thanks so much in advance and best of luck to everyone!
PM me :)

II JUST NOW! LM 73, IS, Completed on 7.15 (they asked me for more info, which I sent on 8.15) I'M SO EXCITED THEY'RE MY TOP CHOICE

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II 3 hours ago! LM 72 IS Complete 7/15

There were plenty of November spots open!

Last edited:
is anyone here a student at Downstate, or has interviewed there?

II 10/04, Complete 08/09, IS, LM 64.9

Reactions: 3 users
is anyone here a student at Downstate, or has interviewed there?

I interviewed today; it was very conversational. Open-file, and she asked questions from a packet, I believe. We mainly went over my resume, and she wanted to know more details about why I am pursuing medicine, my interests outside of medicine, and my research and shadowing experiences. I did ask her questions to keep the vibes up toward the end. They also sent me my picture assignment on the morning of the interview to complete by 4 pm. I was overall left with a positive attitude and outlook on the school.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed today; it was very conversational. Open-file, and she asked questions from a packet, I believe. We mainly went over my resume, and she wanted to know more details about why I am pursuing medicine, my interests outside of medicine, and my research and shadowing experiences. I did ask her questions to keep the vibes up toward the end. They also sent me my picture assignment on the morning of the interview to complete by 4 pm. I was overall left with a positive attitude and outlook on the school.
That sounds great. Thank you!!

Can anyone who interviewed here respond on what type of writing assignment is given for the interview day (to be submitted by 4 PM of that day). Don’t need specifics just trying to gauge how long it’ll take. Thank you!!

Can anyone who interviewed here respond on what type of writing assignment is given for the interview day (to be submitted by 4 PM of that day). Don’t need specifics just trying to gauge how long it’ll take. Thank you!!
It’s a 100-250 word assignment in response to an email they will send you the day of. I received a picture. I saw in past forums some people may get a question? It did not take long at all, 30 min or so since I was overthinking it (which is definitely unnecessary). They give a disclaimer that if you don’t submit it before 4 then they will not accept it and that your response will not determine your acceptance to the university. Hope this helped :)

Yeah i think that they use the assignment to see if you wrote your PS and the writing for your entire application. But thats just me guessing lol

anyone heard post II? Or know when downstate is expected to say?

It’s a 100-250 word assignment in response to an email they will send you the day of. I received a picture. I saw in past forums some people may get a question? It did not take long at all, 30 min or so since I was overthinking it (which is definitely unnecessary). They give a disclaimer that if you don’t submit it before 4 then they will not accept it and that your response will not determine your acceptance to the university. Hope this helped :)
Got it, thanks for your response!